Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 3, 2006
lol. You know damn well "Let the commission do their job "Manny is not fighting Mayweather or anyone from GBP. But all I know is that it seems Mayweather is fighting 2 times in 2013, so i'm happy about that. The Ghost in Feb, and Canelo in Sept seems to be the plan. If I was Mayweather Canelo wouldn't be sitting in the crowd of my fight my fight with his cursed ass. lol

Feb 3, 2006
Danny Garcia's dad and Zab Judah go at it at presser today, punches thrown nothing lands. Will post video when availible.

I love the beef before fights it great for boxing. Judah vs Garcia will be a war until someone gets KO'ed. Garcia has no problem taking big punches to land that monter left hook. But on the flip side Danny drops his head when he throws that punch and Judah has one of the beat uppercuts in boxing. This will be a great fight because Judah always fights better when their's beef and trashtalking before a fight.

Feb 3, 2006
Judah has a chance in this fight small as hell but he can win. Garcia is very easy to hit and Judah did make it 12 rounds against hard hitting Lucas. I think Danny is going to win but just watch all his fights Danny looks down at the floor when he threws that wick left hook. If Judah can time that head looking down with one of his uppercuts the fight could change very quickly. Judah has a good chin, fast hands, and punching power still we will see what happens. Danny Garcia has been getting better since the Holt win, if he KO's Judah like he did Morales he will be on his way to becoming a star in boxing.

Jul 24, 2005
Hunter: Cotto looked over-trained for Trout fight
Boxing news published December 4, 2012 | Leave a comment
follow boxing

By Bill Phanco: Trainer of Andre Ward, Virgil Hunter, gave his own assessment for why former three division world champion Miguel Cotto (37-4, 30 KO’s) lost to WBA World junior middleweight champion Austin Trout (26-0, 14 KO’s) last Saturday night in New York, saying that he felt that Cotto looked over-trained for the fight. Cotto lost the fight by a 12 round unanimous decision by wide scores from the three judges. They had the fight 119-109, 117-111 and 117-111. You can quibble about the scoring of the fight, but you can’t about the results. Cotto lost and he should have lost.

Hunter told RingTV “He [Cotto] wasn’t even up on his legs like he normally is, and he didn’t move like he normally moves…He trained too hard to be facing a 27-year-old…the combination of high altitude and the over-training [did Cotto in.”

I agree with Hunter about Cotto looking over-trained for the fight. I noticed that even before he walked into the ring. Cotto had the look of someone that had trained too hard and had taken off too much weight with much of it being muscle. Cotto must have overdid during the training camp this time, because he looked much less muscular than he did for his rematch against Antonio Margarito and for his recent fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Hunter specifically mentioned Cotto’s training in the mountains at high altitude as being his undoing for this fight. I think that definitely didn’t help Cotto. Working out in the mountains has a way of tearing down muscles because you have to push so hard on the hills and the whole adjustment that your body has to make to the different altitude there and in coming back to ground level.

Cotto would have been better off training as he had before his rematch with Margarito because that Cotto would have been a lot stronger and more of a problem for Trout than this version. It’s possible Cotto would have still lost to Trout, but I think he would have done a lot better better.

Jul 24, 2005
sugar just needs to walk away from the game

Mosley wants Malignaggi, considering a comeback
Boxing article posted on December 3rd, 2012 | Post Comment

Mosley Malignaggi Mosley vs. Malignaggi shane mosley paulie malignaggi By Allan Fox: 41-year-old former three division world champion Shane Mosley (46-8-1, 39 KO’s) is considering coming out of retirement and is interested in a fight against WBA World welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi if he can get it, according to Fighthype.com.

Mosley retired from boxing last June. That came a money after he was soundly beaten by WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez in May of this year in losing by a lopsided 12 round unanimous decision. Mosley has lost three out of his last four fights and hasn’t won since beating Antonio Margarito by a 9th round stoppage in January 2009.

Malignaggi recently won the World Boxing Association 147 pound title with a 9th round stoppage victory over Vyacheslav Senchenko last April. Malignaggi has defended his title once, beating Pablo Cesar Cano by an unimpressive 12 round split decision last October. Malignaggi was knocked down in that fight and he took a lot of punishment from the 22-year-old Cano. Mosley likely saw that fight and figured that he can do a better job than Cano, and few fans would likely disagree with that.

Malignaggi was hoping to get a big money rematch against Ricky Hatton but that fight went up in smoke when Hatton was stopped in the 9th round by Senchenko last month. Hatton then retired once again. Malignaggi wants a big name and he’d likely say yes to a fight against Mosley, because it would give a name fighter that he could possibly beat. The Mosley that lost to Alvarez would beat Malignaggi. However, Mosley hasn’t fought since last summer and he could be rusty if Malignaggi fights him in early 2013. That’s a big if because it would have to be a non-title fight because Mosley isn’t ranked by any of the sanctioning bodies.

Malignaggi would have problems with Mosley’s combinations and he might lose if Mosley is able to fight with the aggression of his early youth.

Jul 24, 2005
Adrien Broner and Andre Ward - Boxing's next Generation!
By Robert Brown, Doghouse Boxing (Dec 5, 2012) Doghouse Boxing
-
Adrien Broner
Andre Ward
Time and time again the boxing obituary has been written in preparation for the enviable death of the sport. In the late 70’s, people were asking how is boxing going to survive after Ali retires and the rest of the golden heavyweights of the era fade into boxing’s history books? The void was quickly filled by iconic and charismatic figures such as Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns, Roberto Duran, Marvin Hagler and Mike Tyson. As these iconic figures were coming to the end of their careers, boxing’s premature death was once again the forecast.

The 90’s produced legends such as Oscar De la Hoya, "Sugar" Shane Mosley (just to name a few) who will both become future hall of famers. That decade also gave us the memorable fights between Riddick Bowe vs. Evander Holyfield and Tyson vs. Holyfield.

In this generation we've had the domination of two contrasting but equally iconic figures in Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather. Crowds have admired Pacquiao for his extremely aggressive action packed and destructive style as well as his accent up the weight classes, fighting bigger and bigger opponents. Mayweather fans have admired the fact that he is a supremely gifted and talented fighter with blinding speed, a superior ring. Fans appreciate his ability to make adjustments in fights with ease and capitalise on any mistake his opponent makes. Mayweather in the last 6 years has barely lost a handful of rounds let alone come close to losing a fight.

Sadly these two great boxing legends are coming to the end of their careers and people are again looking for a fighter or fighters to carry the sport of boxing forwards. Ladies and Gentlemen, I am telling you there is no need to worry because the next generation has already arrived. I am talking about Andre Ward and Adrien Broner.

It is my belief that these two champions will be the ones to carry the sport forward and bring it to a whole new generation of fans. If they stay focused and keep progressing the way I believe they will, Ward and Broner will dominate the sport well into the next decade.

The similarities between these two and Mayweather and Pacquiao are actually startling. Now I don’t necessarily mean in terms of ring style or skills, I mean you’ve got Andre Ward who’s a consummate professional and religiously dedicated family man much like Pacquiao is, whereas Ward has got one of the strongest ring IQ’s in the sport. Ward's ability to make adjustments during a fight is second to possibly Mayweather. When he faced Carl Froch, he made the second best super middleweight in the world look foolish as if he was punching at shadows. Ward then took on the best light heavyweight in the world in Chad Dawson and after making some adjustments during the battle, Ward would go on to find and exploit the gaps in Dawson’s defense. Dawson considered one of the best technical boxers in the sport looked utterly inferior to Ward. Ward will dominate 168lb’s for as long as he wants to and then go up and dominate 175lb’s cause there is no one in their prime that can compete with him on a technical level in those weight classes.

Adrien Broner is a young brash highly skilled fighter with the tools to take him a long way. Much like Mayweather he divides the boxing world right down the middle. Some boxing fans admire him for his complete confidence both inside and outside of the ring. He’s outgoing and some might say divisive personality, they admire his strong belief that no one within his realm can challenge him. People who dislike Broner level the same criticism’s against him as they have in the past against Mayweather. They believe Broner is arrogant, self-absorbed and hasn't fought a high enough level of competition. My response to those claims is this Broner just destroyed a 135lb champion in Antonio DeMarco. DeMarco is a straight ahead brawler that does not have the experience and versatility to deal with someone like Broner, but you tell me who does? In my opinion Broner will destroy anyone within the 135 – 140 range including Brandon Rios and Lucas Matthysse. Yes they are tough fighters with concussive punching power, but they are one dimensional pressure fighters who do not have the versatility to deal with everything in Broner's kit bag. The only fighter I can see that could deal with Broner is a puncher with an intellect to match Broner such as a Juan Manuel Marquez at 140. I don’t see any fighter to fit that bill.

Whether you like it or not, Broner is going to be around for a long time and just like Mayweather he will make money because people will pay hoping to see him lose. Just like Mayweather/Pacquiao you’ve got the good versus evil in Ward and Broner, although these two fighters will most likely never face each other, fans with soon create their own rivalry by discussing who’s better and more exciting between the two.

Boxing is not dead and if an American heavyweight can rise from the ashes boxing could be heading for its greatest era yet with Broner and Ward carrying the torch for the next generation.

Jul 24, 2005
Canelo Alvarez now interested in Austin Trout for May 4th, if Mayweather bout can’t be made
Boxing news published December 5, 2012 | 29 Comments
follow boxing

alvarez454 boxingBy Rob Smith: WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez is now reportedly interested in facing WBA junior middleweight champion Austin Trout on May 4th, if a bout against Floyd Mayweather Jr. can’t get made. The Mayweather fight is the one that Canelo really wants most of all, and he said to the record.com.mx that his promoters at Golden Boy Promotions are attempting to put the Mayweather fight together for him. But if all else fails, Canelo said he’d be looking towards a fight with Trout.

Canelo said to the record.com.mx “Trout is a great fighter, and unbeaten and he beat Cotto, he’s left handed and very strong. He’s a complicated fighter and he would be fine for next May.”

Trout has been taking heavy criticism from boxing fans because his promoter Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy said that Alvarez could still end fighting Miguel Cotto next in May despite the fact that Cotto was beaten soundly last Saturday night by Trout.

Schaefer said that the Coto victory wasn’t enough for Trout to get the Alvarez bout. Schaefer said he wanted Trout to fight several fights and then slowly prove himself to get the fight against the 22-year-old Alvarez. The odd thing is Trout is 27 and has faced pretty much the same level of opposition as Alvarez has during his career, so it’s hard to understand why Trout has to prove himself like Schaefer wants him to before he can fight Alvarez.

The chances of Alvarez getting the Mayweather fight are probably slim and none. Schaefer already said recently that he’s working on a fight between WBC interim welterweight champion Robert Guerrero and Mayweather, so you’ve got to figure that’s the fight that Mayweather will take. To be sure, tt’s the far safer bout for Mayweather because Guerrero is nowhere near the same threat as Canelo Alvarez.

It’s easy money for Mayweather, and it might not do all that bad on pay per view. Guerrero may not be from Mexico, but he could still bring in a huge amount of Mexican fans in PPV if HBO puts together a Mayweather-Guerrero 24/7 four part series. One episode probably wont be enough to bring in huge amounts of fans but a four part one would do the job.

Props: IronLungs420
Jul 24, 2005
Judah to Garcia: Take your a** whooping from me and head down I-95
Boxing article posted on December 4th, 2012 | Post Comment

Judah Garcia Judah vs. Garcia zab judah danny garcia (Photo credit: Esther Lin/Showtime) By Jason Kim: Zab Judah (42-7, 29 KO’s) may be 35-years-old and considered past his prime by a lot of boxing fans, but he still feels he’s got what it takes to beat the slower but stronger WBA/WBC light welterweight champion Danny Garcia (25-0, 16 KO’s) on February 9th when he go at it in the Barclays Center, in Brooklyn, New York.

Judah and Garcia’s father Angel Garcia got into a big argument in their press conference last Saturday at Gallagher’s Steak House. Judah took issue with Angel calling him a “4 round fighter,” and things kind of took off from there with both Judah and Angel having to be held back by their team.

Judah said this about facing Danny Garcia as quoted by RingTV “When you come into Brooklyn, you have to show some respect. Take your a** whooping and head down I-95.”

Judah really thinks he’s going to win this fight. He sees that Garcia is kind of slow, and he’s going to look to try and take advantage of that.

It’s going to be difficult for Judah to win this fight even though he’s got the much faster hands. Garcia is really dangerous with his left hook, and he’s got a good right hand as well. Judah will have to find his way through Garcia’s offense to land his big uppercuts that Judah likes to throw.

Judah can throw a lot of different kinds of punches, but as he’s gotten older his uppercut has become his money punch. He can still throw it with a lot of power, and if he can land that shot enough times against Garcia, he can win. Judah’s power and speed can possibly carry him to victory.

The odds are definitely against Judah, though. Garcia is unbeaten and he’s been mostly dominating everyone he’s been in with lately, Kendall Holt gave Garcia a lot of problems in October of last year in a 12 round split decision win by Garcia. But Garcia then beat Erik Morales and Amir Khan.

Holt was able to give Garcia problems with his fast hands and big power. He got Garcia’s respect early and was able to land often against him. Judah needs to use that fight as a blueprint to try and beat him because that was definitely one fight where Garcia didn’t look all that impressive. If you can take his shots, Garcia becomes pretty average as Holt showed.

Jan 12, 2006
Canelo: We Want Mayweather May But He's Fighting February.

According to WBC 154-pound champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez, there is a scheduling conflict which might prevent a potential fight with WBA super champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. Canelo wants to return to action on May 4th, as part of Cinco De Mayo weekend.

Canelo asked his promoter, Golden Boy Promotions to secure Mayweather for his next fight. Canelo says Mayweather wants to return on a date in February, which is far too early for the Mexican star.

Canelo is hoping Mayweather will agree to a May date.

"Currently we are negotiating [to get a fight] with Floyd Mayweather. And if for one reason or another Floyd does not want [to fight], we'll opt for another option. The problem with Mayweather is that he wants to make a fight in February and then [wait] until September [to fight again] and I want to fight in May. Hopefully he will want to fight in May, and we'll [come into the fight with] almost the same amount of time of inactivity," Canelo said.

***Is Mayweather avoiding, Canelo, possibly opting to fight in February?***
I hope mayweather takes the bait, this shit would be so dope! This fight would prove to me that boxing was never in danger of losing fans nor will they ever take a back seat to the UFC. This is a "dream matchup" as a fan. Lets do this champ take the offer and square of with Canelo!

Canelo Alvarez now interested in Austin Trout for May 4th, if Mayweather bout can’t be made
Boxing news published December 5, 2012 | 29 Comments
follow boxing

alvarez454 boxingBy Rob Smith: WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez is now reportedly interested in facing WBA junior middleweight champion Austin Trout on May 4th, if a bout against Floyd Mayweather Jr. can’t get made. The Mayweather fight is the one that Canelo really wants most of all, and he said to the record.com.mx that his promoters at Golden Boy Promotions are attempting to put the Mayweather fight together for him. But if all else fails, Canelo said he’d be looking towards a fight with Trout.
Damn Canelo is a fucken Beast, young ass muthafucka not afraid to fight anyone. Sounds like he isn't tripping of his record either. Canelo just wants to make money and knock muthafuckas out. He's made it clear he wants to fight Mayweather but if that doesn't go down he will settle for trout. I wouldn't mind seeing Canelo give Trout a "reality check" then face Floyd in September. Schefer though is another story that cat needs to chill out, if he keeps those comments up I'm going to start calling him Bob Arum Jr.

Last edited:
Props: JLMACN
Aug 26, 2002
WWW.YABITCHDONEME.COM
lol @ Trout needing to prove himself in order to get a fight with Alvarez? Aint that the pot calling the kettle black! Haha. Trout has a better resume than Alvarez! Got Em!!
I think it's just his camp instigating a great match. Sure, Canelo has something to prove still but I don't think Trout, Mayweather, or Pacquiao are going to be ok with getting beat by a 22 year old kid. So, they too still need some shit talking to get them to take the bait.

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
I hope mayweather takes the bait, this shit would be so dope! This fight would prove to me that boxing was never in danger of losing fans nor will they ever take a back seat to the UFC. This is a "dream matchup" as a fan. Lets do this champ take the offer and square of with Canelo!

Damn Canelo is a fucken Beast, young ass muthafucka not afraid to fight anyone. Sounds like he isn't tripping of his record either. Canelo just wants to make money and knock muthafuckas out. He's made it clear he wants to fight Mayweather but if that doesn't go down he will settle for trout. I wouldn't mind seeing Canelo give Trout a "reality check" then face Floyd in September. Schefer though is another story that cat needs to chill out, if he keeps those comments up I'm going to start calling him Bob Arum Jr.
Willing to fight anyone?? So all of a sudden they finally say he will fight Trout that means he will fight anyone? I dont think so. What about all this time they didnt want to fight Trout, Lara, or Vanes? I aint saying he is scared to fight them but its obvious he is now just desperate to get a fight because Cotto lost so that fight doesnt look good anymore. He wont get the Floyd fight yet. What else is left of anything decent but Trout? Thats the only reason they are considering it. Got Em!!

I think it's just his camp instigating a great match. Sure, Canelo has something to prove still but I don't think Trout, Mayweather, or Pacquiao are going to be ok with getting beat by a 22 year old kid. So, they too still need some shit talking to get them to take the bait.
Oh I understand the bullshit behind it but just saying it sounds funny when they said that. Got Em!!

Jul 24, 2005
Pacquiao vs. Brandon Rios targeted for April 20th
Boxing article posted on December 5th, 2012 | Post Comment

Pacquiao Rios Pacquiao vs. Rios manny pacquiao brandon rios By Chris Williams: Manny Pacquiao is already being steered for a fight against unbeaten former WBA World lightweight champion Brandon Rios (31-0-1, 23 KO’s) on April 20th next year. Bob Arum, Pacquiao and Rios’ promoter, wants that fight next after Pacquiao’s fight against Juan Manuel Marquez on Saturday and that’s what boxing will be seeing.

Of course, a loss for Pacquiao on Saturday could change Arum’s plans of a Pacquiao-Rios fight, because Pacquiao would almost have to fight Marquez for a 5th time because this wouldn’t be a loss where we’d see Pacquiao not face Marquez again for three years like we saw after Pacquiao beat Marquez by a questionable 12 round decision in 2008.

Arum would would likely push for a rematch between Pacquiao and Marquez if his fighter loses on Saturday because that would be two losses in a row for Pacquiao. He already opted not to avenge his defeat against Tim Bradley, but I don’t think he can do that with Marquez because the boxing public will likely see it as fear if he doesn’t try to fight Marquez again.

As for the Rios fight, it’s predictable. Rios fights for Top Rank, and Arum likes to make in house fights among his Top Rank stable. We’ve already see Pacquiao fight Arum’s stable fighters Miguel Cotto, Joshua Clottey, Shane Mosley and Tim Bradley. Rios is one of the few remaining guys that Pacquiao hasn’t fought in the stable yet.

Arum likely sees the money that can be made in a Rios vs. Pacquiao fight because of the large Mexican community that would rally behind Rios despite the fact that he doesn’t have a large fan base at this time. Rios would still get a lot of Mexican fans behind him and willing to purchase the fight on pay per view. Judging by how Rios has looked against Mike Alvarado and Richard Abril, I don’t see him being able to beat Pacquiao. I think he’d make it tough on him due to his youth and Pacquiao’s advancing age, but I don’t see Rios winning.

Jul 24, 2005
Breaking News: Andre Ward injures shoulder, fight with Kelly Pavlik likely a go for February or March
By John J. Raspanti, Doghouse Boxing (Dec 6, 2012) Doghouse Boxing
-
Andre Ward
Andre Ward, the WBA, WBC, and The Ring super middleweight champion, injured his shoulder in training forcing the postponement of his Jan. 26 defense against former middleweight beltholder Kelly Pavlik, Sports Illustrated reported late Wednesday night.

Ward, (26-0, 14 KOs ) is coming off the most impressive victory of his career, a 10th round TKO of light heavyweight champion Chad Dawson.

Pavlik, (40-2, 34 KOs) was to fight Ward at the Galen Center in Los Angeles , California . The 30-year-old challenger has won his last four fights. He was to leave for Oxnard (site of his training camp) this week.

ESPN recently ranked Ward, 28, the No. 2 best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.

Jul 24, 2005
Rios: I'd Fight Angel In A Parking Lot, Danny In The Ring

By Rick Reeno
Junior welterweight contender Brandon Rios (31-0-1, 23KOs) is confident that he can do a real number on WBC/WBA champion Danny Garcia (25-0, 16KOs).
Garcia returns to action on February 9th against former two-division world champion Zab Judah. Rios is being positioned for a shot at the Manny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Marquez winner, which is being targeted for April 20th.
Golden Boy Promotions, who promote Garcia, are more interesting in making a fight between Rios and hard-punching Lucas Matthysse (32-2, 30KOs). Making either match will be tough, considering Rios is promoted by Top Rank, who haven't co-promoted a event with Golden Boy in several years.
Rios has no problem with facing Matthysse, but he would much rather get his hands on Garcia first. And, Rios is fully prepared for the wild antics of Danny's father and trainer, Angel Garcia.
"I'm a warrior, I'll fight eitgher guy. It don't bother me. I'll fight them both. I'll fight Danny Garcia first, who won't be as hard, and then I'll fight Lucas Matthysse second. But that's between Top Rank and Golden Boy. I don't put my nose where it don't belong. All I do is train and be ready for the fights," Rios told BoxingScene.com.
"Garcia is busy beating up old guys and the guys he knocked out are guys with no chins. I can take a punch and I can give a punch, so why don't he man up and fight me. If his father wants to fight, I'll fight him too. I'll fight him in the parking lot and then I'll go in the ring and fight Danny."

Jul 24, 2005
Roach Rips Hernandez: The Rat? He's A Piece Of Sh*t

By Mike Coppinger

Angel "Memo" Hernandez has made waves over the past few weeks amid allegations from Manny Pacquiao trainer Freddie Roach that he has juiced Juan Manuel Marquez. Hernandez, previously known as Heredia, was indicted in the famed BALCO scandal and was adept at creating performance enhancing cocktails that flew under the radar. Hernandez is miffed at the allegations from Roach and has threatened to sue.
"The Rat"? I have nothing to say about him," said Roach. "[He's a] piece of sh*t. They have no case, if they think they're going to sue me, good luck. Get in line."
Marquez fought at welterweight against Floyd Mayweather in 2009 and was noticeably flabby and slow, When he fought Manny Pacquiao a third time in late 2011, he looked very different, with pulsating muscles and a bigger frame, sparking whispers of PED use. Roach believes that if Marquez used PEDs, it will be to his detriment.
"He put on all that muscle and usually people who put on all that muscle exchange and fight," said Roach. "If he does, Manny's ready to fight and Manny's very motivated, it's the best I've seen him in a long time. He's fired up. I'm really happy with the Manny I see right now, he's looking good, he's 100 percent ready for this fight.
"
More intense training in the sessions this camp [versus the Bradley camp]. We also boxed less this training camp because he doesn't need those gym wars anymore."
As for the crisp uppercuts Marquez repeatedly caught Pacquiao with in the last encounter, Roach feels they have a plan.

"If he stays in the pocket too long, he'll get hit with those shots," said Roach. "But he gets out of the pocket, he'll be fine. He needs in-and-out motion and side-to-side. We've worked on that, it shouldn't be a problem."

Props: WYNO707X4
Feb 23, 2006
Yup lol memo was talking to the media all bad ass i work with 6 other fighters i dont do nothing wrong i hide nothing blah blah blah then they ask him who are the other fighters? Ahhh ahhh i cant say. He looks like a j cat i cant stand him