Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 26, 2002
WWW.YABITCHDONEME.COM
Floyd Mayweather seems to have made an attempt to stay at the top of boxing, without actually beating anyone. Opposingviews.com has stated that Floyd Mayweather asked 50 cent to stage their fall out in order to get both of them in the news again. They say that 50 cent has confirmed this. It’s a shame that Mayweather doesn’t just do what other boxers do. And that is fight, and beat other boxers. That’s the way to get people talking about you. There is no need to deceive your fans into thinking you have engaged in petty arguments via twitter. Children do that, not champions and role models. Enough of all this WWE behavior. Fight, or retire. I don’t think Mayweather will ever fight again.
Extremely Believable.

And this is sad.....

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
I think 50 is just playing games and trying to make Floyd look stupid by saying it was staged when it really wasn't. I could be wrong though... If we see them make up and start taking pictures again then I'll believe it was staged.

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Schaefer hints that Saul Alvarez won’t face Lara-Martirosyan winner
Boxing article posted on November 7th, 2012 | Post Comment

Lara Martirosyan Lara vs. Martirosyan vanes martirosyan saul alvarez erislandy lara By Dan Ambrose: This Saturday’s fight between Erislany Lara and Vanes Martirosyan is supposed to be a WBC junior middleweight eliminator bout with the winner becoming the mandatory challenger for WBC 154 lb champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez. However, it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen according to some of the comments from Alvarez’s promoter Richard Schaefer at Golden Boy Promotions.

Schaefer says that Alvarez only wants the big fights and wants to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr, Miguel Cotto or Sergio Martinez next. According to the wbcboxing.com website, the WBC president Jose Sulaiman says that Alvarez has to fight the Lara-Martirosyan winner next and not one of the three names that Alvarez wants to fight in his next bout in May.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like Alvarez and Golden Boy Promotions are going to go along with the program because they don’t seem interested in Alvarez fighting either Lara or Martirosyan next despite their fight being an eliminator bout. Usually, when champions hold titles they have to defend against mandatory contenders. They can’t just fight whoever they want to fight. That kind of makes a mockery of the whole idea behind a champion if they can pick and choose the guys that they want to fight instead of the fighters that the sanctioning bodies pick out after setting up eliminator bouts like the Lara vs. Martirosyan fight on Saturday.

Schaefer said this as quoted by Latimes.com writer Lance Pugmire: “What do think Canelo thinks of this? [the WBC president saying that Alvarez has to fight the Martirorsyan vs. Lara winner next]. If you have a chance to fight the best fighter in the world in Floyd Mayweather., and you get that opportunity, doesn’t that take priority?”

I think Schaefer is probably kidding himself if he thinks that Alvarez is going to get a fight against Mayweather next in May. That’s not realistic, and I can’t even imagine what Schaefer even floated that idea. He might as well be talking about Alvarez winning the lottery because he’s not going to get the Mayweather fight. But it does look like Alvarez could vacate this World Boxing Council title if the WBC tries to force him to fight one of the top guys that they have ranked. I don’t see why Alvarez doesn’t do it because the chances are high he’s not going to get a fight against Sergio Martinez in May because Martinez is fighting in Argentina while he waits for a rematch against Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Alvarez won’t likely get a fight against Miguel Cotto, because the chances are high that Cotto loses to Austin Trout on December 1st. Sure, Alvarez can fight Trout but that’s a fight that’s no bigger than Alvarez fighting Martirosyan or Lara. He might as well fight one of those guys if Trout ends up taking Cotto out of play.

What boxing fans don’t like about Alvarez is the way he got the WBC title in the first place by beating a welterweight in Matthew Hatton instead of a junior middleweight. Fans didn’t like that. They also haven’t liked the match-making that Golden Boy has done for Alvarez since he picked up the belt. Alvarez has defended his title against a 40-year-old over the hill Shane Mosley, a light welterweight Josesito Lopez, a welterweight Alfonso Gomez, a struggling Kermit Cintron and an older Ryan Rhodes. That’s 2 welterweights, 1 light light welterweight and three older fighters past their prime.

Recently there was talk that the 22-year-old Alvarez would defend his title in December, but instead he said he’s not fighting in December and wants to sit around and wait 8 months until May 5th the Mexican holiday Cinco de Mayo, and he only wants to fight the big names Martinez, Cotto and Mayweather.

A lot of boxing fans think Alvarez hasn’t paid his dues yet and that he doesn’t deserve to fight one of those guys yet because of the soft matchmaking done for him in the last two years. It’s difficult to imagine Alvarez, who is still only 22, choosing to take nearly a year off from boxing just to sit around and wait for a big fight instead of doing what he’s required to do in order to keep his WBC title. He may not get the big fight that he’s asking for and does he really deserve it at this point with the matchmaking he’s had
Dude I am losing respect for Canelo and his camp! Thats bitch shit! Dude only wants a big fight so in case he loses atleast he got paid. They are afraid that Lara will beat him. Thats wack. Dude hasnt fought anyone at all to only go after big fights. He still needs to beat the people in his division that are right next to him. Got Em!!

Rooting for Taylor's comeback fight.
This is what he needs...

Just needs to turn back into Bad Intentions and Peter is in for a beating.
Hahahahah Taylor is gonna get pummeled in this fight trust me! Got Em!!

Props: Tony
May 6, 2002
I didn't say he was going to win.
If he comes in as the Taylor 7 years ago, when he really fought with Bad Intentions, then Peter is in for a good one. Will he show up like that? Who knows. It looks like it's gone but maybe he can bring it back.

I'm just rooting for Jermain.

Feb 3, 2006
Taylor is going to shock the world and win by KO. lol I hope. But really this is a good fight for both guys. Will Quillin be able to KO the former champ or will Taylor make that comeback and take the belt? I will watch it..

Props: heyzel
Feb 3, 2006
I think 50 is just playing games and trying to make Floyd look stupid by saying it was staged when it really wasn't. I could be wrong though... If we see them make up and start taking pictures again then I'll believe it was staged.
Co-sign Mayweather don't need 50 to get the media talking about him. It seems like 50 was talking shit to the wrong people and GBP and Al Haymon got his fighter kicked off the card on Showtime. Now 50 is trying to save face by saying it was all a joke. The rap beef bs don't work in boxing if you're new in the game, and 50 found out the hard way.

Props: Tony

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
I didn't say he was going to win.
If he comes in as the Taylor 7 years ago, when he really fought with Bad Intentions, then Peter is in for a good one. Will he show up like that? Who knows. It looks like it's gone but maybe he can bring it back.

I'm just rooting for Jermain.
Well I am here to tell u it wont be the Taylor of 7 years ago haha. It will be the Taylor of today and he is a very brave man for coming back to fight this kid! Its a wrap! Got Em!!

Taylor is going to shock the world and win by KO. lol I hope. But really this is a good fight for both guys. Will Quillin be able to KO the former champ or will Taylor make that comeback and take the belt? I will watch it..
Haha cmon I know u know better than this biggie. K.C. finna clown dog Im sorry! Got Em!!

I thougt tmt was going to take ova! Lol. canelo acting like a little bitch he taking the mayweather route.
See folks always say May be ducking fools but now we all can see its either ducking in general in boxing or people just think they are being smart. Im glad u see what I see in the Canelo camp. It does make u look like a bitch. They dont think he can beat Lara? If they dont how in the heck do they think he can hang with May, Cotto, or Martinez haha? What he wants one big money fight and then retire lol? Got Em!!

Jul 24, 2005
Marquez has no interest in WBC Diamond title for Pacquiao fight
Boxing article posted on November 9th, 2012 | Post Comment

Pacquiao Marquez Pacquiao vs. Marquez manny pacquiao juan manuel marquez By Chris Williams: Juan Manuel Marquez (54-6-1, 39 KO’s) said no to the idea of fighting for the WBC Diamond title when it was offered for him to fight for by the World Boxing Council for his fourth fight with Manny Pacquiao (54-4-2, 38 KO’s) on December 8th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. Marquez, 39, reportedly doesn’t see any value in the Diamond strap, which created not long ago by the WBC to be specifically for top fighters of the sport to fight over.

Marquez said to the Record.com.mx “A championship Diamond, Gold, Silver, for me is not important now. Agencies don’t make the fighter. The fighter makes what he is.”

The Pacquiao-Marquez fourth fight won’t have a title up for grabs for this one. This is a departure from their three previous fights, as one of them has always had a title at the time they fought. However, it matters little if a title were to be fought over at this point because both guys are so popular that casual boxing fans won’t care if a title strap isn’t on the line for this fight. Fans just want to see a good fight, and they want good judging as well after the disappointments of the three prior fights in which many fans felt that Marquez should have won them all.

If Marquez had said yes to the Diamond belt it would have likely meant that he would have had to pay a sanctioning fee in order to get the belt up for grabs. With the fight between Pacquiao and Marquez earning both fighters millions of dollars it’s not hard to see that the sanctioning fee to have the Diamond strap on the line could be quite high. If boxing fans really valued the title, we’d likely see the belt up for grabs.

However, with all the various titles that the difference sanctioning bodies have created in recent years to collect sanctioning fees from the fighters it’s like huge deep sea fishing nets being cast into the ocean of fighters to collect cash for straps. I don’t see how it makes any sense at all, and I can understand Marquez not being interested in having the Diamond belt on the line.

Jul 24, 2005
Steve Kim ‏ S @Steve maxboxing

Quick chat with Stephen Espinoza of Showtime: Jan 19th they will have Kell Brook vs Devon Alexander..... #boxing

Jul 24, 2005
OSCAR DE LA HOYA wants Bernard Hopkins to face Nathan Cleverly in Britain next year.

The President of Golden Boy Promotions met Cleverly for the first time yesterday at an outdoor press conference at the Staples Center.

WBO World Light-Heavyweight champion Cleverly impressed the US media when he discussed Saturday’s fourth title defence against Shawn Hawk at the world famous Los Angeles venue.

De La Hoya said: “What is very possible is Bernard Hopkins going to Britain to box Nathan.

“We feel that the UK fans are some of the most passionate and knowledgeable in the world when it comes to boxing.

“A lot of fighters in the United States are now realising they should go overseas and challenge the best.”

Chad Dawson holds the WBC 175lb crown, Beibut Shumenov is WBA title holder and Tavoris Cloud is IBF champion.

But six-weight world champion, Oscar believes that the undefeated Welshman has the ability to top the lot.

He added: “Nathan can go far. He is a fan friendly fighter

“He has a great promoter in Frank Warren. Along with Frank we can come up with the big American fights and bring in the people.

“But, ultimately it is up to what Nathan does in the ring. It is in his hands whether he wants to make a big splash or not.

“As long as you can match him up with the right fighters there is no limit to how far he can go

“Nathan is that he a strong puncher, but he has good speed. That makes for a dangerous boxer-puncher – that is what I was.

“He looks motivated, ready to go but he has very tough fight against Hawk. It will be compelling viewing.”

Cleverly v Hawk will be shown live on BoxNation (Sky Ch. 437/Virgin Ch. 546) from 1am Sunday. Join at boxnation.com

Jul 24, 2005
Farhood: Gary Russell Jr. Needs to Step Up in Class
Boxing article posted on November 11th, 2012 | Post Comment

Russell Jr. vs. Castaneda Russell Jr Castaneda gary russell jr By Jordan V Marry: This past Friday, November 9th, up-and-coming featherweight star Mr. Gary Russell Jr. (21-0, 13KO’s) added another sensational knockout to his resume. The talented southpaw flattened an over-matched Roberto Castaneda (20-3-1, 15KO’s) in the 3rd round with one picture perfect right hook. However, Showtime color commentator Steve Farhood was quick to put this win in perspective by consistently reminding the viewers that Russell Jr.’s level of competition has been much less than world class.

At the opening of the broadcast, Farhood stated “Gary Russell Jr. is WAY too talented to be facing the level of competition that he is,” and went on to say that he is doing himself and his audience “no favors” by continuing his career at such a slow pace. At only 24, it would seem that this 2008 Olympian still has some time to work his way up to a big money title fight, but let’s look at how Russell Jr. presently compares crème of the crop at 126lbs.

Mexico native Orlando Salido (39-11-2, 27 KO’s), the current WBO and Ring Magazine featherweight champ, has been considered the best in the division since defeating former champ, and pound for pound contender, Juan Manuel Lopez by TKO in April of 2011. At 31 years of age, Salido is a rugged veteran who fights at a level far beyond anything that Russell Jr. has seen before. That’s not to say that he would be outclassed however. Russell Jr. may have the fastest hands in boxing, which would be a major advantage over the much slower Salido. He also is the more polished boxer of the two, with a diverse skill set which allows him to lead or counter-punch equally well, maintaining perfect balance and technique at all times. Where the American may have trouble is with Salido’s pressure and experience. The Champion has a great chin and relentless style, sometimes throwing upwards of 100 punches a round. Unlike many other pressure fighters, Salido puts impressive power behind all of his shots, which is demonstrated by the fact that he has scored knockouts in his last five fights against quality opposition. How is the young Gary Russell Jr. going to react when he hits Salido with some of his best shots, round after round, and the Mexican warrior is still right in his face bringing serious firepower?

Based on how carefully Russell Jr.’s manager, Al Haymon, has matched him so far, it’s safe to say that he won’t be thrown in with the likes of Salido, or anyone else of that caliber, in the near future. But now that he has fully recovered from his injury, and bounced back with an exciting knockout victory, I would expect Mr. Russell to stay active and use the momentum to carry himself steadily into more challenging bouts. I would like to see him take about two or three more fights against some legitimate contenders such as Daniel Ponce De Leon or Cristian Mijares before trying to take out Salido. If Russell Jr. is able to grab a world title he would then be in position from some exciting match-ups, such as the Super Bantamweight Champion Nonito Donaire, who is expected to move up to featherweight soon, or

Jul 24, 2005
Martin Murray to fight Sergio Martinez on April 17th if he gets past Navarro on 11/24
Boxing article posted on November 11th, 2012 | Post Comment

Murray Navarro Murray vs. Navarro sergio martinez By Scott Gilfoid: The middleweight division is really hurting right now in a big way in terms of the lack of talent in the division. Later this month unbeaten middleweight contender #2 WBO, #3 WBA, #4 WBC, Martin Murray (24-0-1, 10 KO’s) will be fighting undefeated #7 WBA Jorge Navarro (12-0, 10 KO’s) for the interim WBA World middleweight title on the undercard of the Ricky Hatton vs. Vyacheslav Senchenko bout at the Manchester Arena (formerly M.E.N Arena), in Manchester, Lancashire, United Kingdom.

The Murray-Navarro fight is nothing, because it’s just an interim strap and the sanctioning bodies hand those things out like candy. But what’s important here is that the winner of the Murray vs. Navarro fight will be fighting WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez (50-2-2, 28 KO’s) on April 17th in Martinez’s birth country Argentina where he wants to stage a fight in front of a ton of his loyal boxing fans. He seems to think that he can attract a lot of them and that remains to be seen. Martinez now lives in Oxnard, California.

I’m not too high on the 30-year-old Murray, but I got to him an almost 100 percent chance of beating Navarro and getting that title shot against Martinez in Argentina because Navarro gives new meaning to a fighter with an inflated resume. If you look at the guys that Navarro has fought during his 6-year pro career you’ll be hard-pressed to find any real talent there.

The best guys that Navarro has fought have been Jaime Barboza (17-7, 8 KO’s) and Jhonatan Ricar (9-4, 7 KO’s). Believe me, it goes dramatically downhill from here in terms of opposition for Navarro. I’d have to say that Murray has a really good chance of beating Navarro and locking himself into a title shot against Martinez on April 17th in Argentina.

A fight between Murray and Martinez would be a mismatch. Murray was staggered badly in his fight against the light hitting Felix Sturm last year in December in a questionable 12 round draw that Murray got in that fight. I had Sturm winning the fight because Murray hadn’t done enough to earn a decision in my eyes. Martinez will KO Murray no problem. The only way Murray will make it the distance is if he runs from Martinez.

Jul 24, 2005
Roger Mayweather: “Floyd’s going to get back in the ring. He’s still better than 90% of the mother*ckers out there!” Part 1 of 2
By Jenna Jay, OnTheRopes Boxing Radio, Doghouse Boxing (Nov 13, 2012) Doghouse Boxing
-
On the Ropes Radio #181 - Roger Mayweather

By Jenna Jay, Doghouse Boxing. In recent weeks there has been a lot of talk about the ongoing beef between boxer Floyd Mayweather and rapper 50 cent. The two were once close friends, but as time has gone on things have turned sour and a potential working relationship with TMT promotions has also fallen apart. During my latest edition of “On The Ropes” I had a chance to catch up with Mayweather Jr’s uncle and trainer Roger Mayweather to discuss the situation between his nephew and 50 cent. I also got Roger’s views his nephew’s future in the ring and what potential fights he sees out there for Floyd. Here is what Roger had to say in Part 1 of my 2 part interview.

Jenna Jay: Roger we have heard a lot about Floyd in the press of late regarding 50 cent and their beef, but what I want to ask you first is have you see your newphew in the gym at all, and if so how has he been looking?

Roger Mayweather: My nephew hasn’t been in the gym. He been out of town, I know he been out of town cause every time he calls me he says he in Chicago, he’s in Michigan. He’s been traveling, but that’s what he do.

Jenna : Are you at all surprised that he did not want to get right back to boxing when he got out of jail?

Roger: I don’t think that he did not want to get back to it, I guess that he after being in jail for the time that he was, I guess he wanted to go somewhere else that did not remind him of the jail cell. He went other places. Floyd has been boxing literally all his life, he’s been boxing ever since he was able to stand up, that’s what he been doing. Obviously he went to jail, he did a few days in jail and when he got out I’m sure he wanted to go somewhere that did not remind him of the jail cell or anything that reminded him of jail. That’s part of boxing, that’s part of life period. I figure he just took off, and found something else to do that’s obviously different then the jail cell and that’s what he did.

Jenna: People were expecting him to join 50 CENT in that promotion arrangement when he got out, and all of a sudden you see those two not only not working together, but also no longer being friends. What do you think happened there?

Roger: I knew that shit was not going to happen anyway. It wasn't gonna happen anyway! The reason why shit don’t happen is cause when you have two people that are just alike, two people that want to be boss, the shit ain't gonna work. That’s all it is, and it didn't work. That’s it.

Jenna: So you think the reason it did not work is because they both wanted to be the boss?

Roger: My thing is obviously it had to be something, otherwise why wouldn't they come to an agreement. If they did not come to an agreement, than there has to be a reason why they did not come to an agreement. And since they did not come to an agreement - people are going to sign this fighter and they are going sign that fighter, well why did you not sign all them fighers then? There must of been a reason why. Things did not happen the way they thought it would.

Jenna: Do you think it’s a shame that they had their friendship fall apart over this disagreement?

Roger: No, it’s no shame that their friendship fell apart over it. Obviously it was not meant to be. See certain things are not meant to be anyways. It’s a different part of the world in boxing when you make an agreement, and paper has to be signed, than you find out how much friendship you got with somebody. That’s what it boils down to.

Jenna: Do you think your Nephew still loves boxing the way he use to?

Roger: That ain't it. My nephew loves boxing like he started loving boxing. The thing with my nephew is with boxing is he don’t want anyone trying to tell him how to run his shit. He know all about boxing, so he ain’t trying to have someone else trying to run his shit for him, he’s the one that started the promotional thing, and when he came around with 50 cent and they did not come to an agreement. BOOM it just fell apart. He obviously said he thought he could run it better than anybody else can, and I think that’s what happened more so than the disagreement.

Jenna: Floyd is turning 36 next year, do you actually expect him to return to the ring?

Roger: He’s going to get back in the ring. Floyd’s still better than 90% of the mother*ckers out there. Floyd would still whoop Pacquiao’s ass, he would still whoop Timothy Bradley’s ass. He would do that for sure. So when you talk about 'if Floyd can do what he did before’ well maybe he can’t do what he did before, but he can do well more than what they can do. You saw what he did to Ortiz didn’t you, you saw him whoop Cotto didn’t you, and I did not see Floyd test positive for steroids in him did he? Alright then, I think he can put a little more hurt on someone. Put a little hurt on Bradley and Pacquiao. Them the two fights he has to have, and it will clear it up right there.

Stay tuned to Doghouseboxing for part 2 of my Exclusive interview with Roger Mayweather.