Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
All-Time Great Roy Jones Junior To Face Kevin Ferguson, AKA Kimbo Slice …..In An Exhibition Bout
Boxing news published September 22, 2012 | 55 Comments

By James Slater – Whether your opinion will be, “how the mighty have fallen,” or a more in-the-spirit of the event, “this will be a fun night,” chances are you WILL have an opinion when you read how faded legend and all-time great/future Hall of Famer Roy Jones Junior will face former street fighter/You Tube phenomenon-turned pro boxer Kevin Ferguson, AKA Kimbo Slice in December.

The bout, actually an exhibition, will go down in Montego Bay in beautiful Jamiaca in December, as confirmed by website Jamaica Observer, who reported on the bout being announced as official this past Thursday. The fight has been dubbed “The Beauty And The Beast.”

The fight may be of the exhibition variety only, but Jones Jr, speaking with the bout’s organisers on Thursday, sure came across as a fighter who is anticipating a tough encounter.

“He’s a big street fighter with a lot of power, so early in the fight he can be very dangerous…..but as the fight goes on, my mental experience should take over,” Jones Jr. said. “But for the first five rounds he will be very deadly.”

Jones Jr. Vs. Slice has been in the pipeline for some time, with both guys expressing an interest in getting it on. Now that the exhibition is official, will the bombs fly for real when the bell rings? Slice, who has been fun to watch if nothing else during his fledgling, now 5-0(4), pro boxing career (which has thus far seen brutal KO’s as well as allegations of a fixed fight) would never have had a hope of laying a glove on the prime, “Superman” version of Jones, yet today, who knows?

Jones, 56-8(40) has seen his stock drop in quite alarming fashion these past few years, and even if he will be the older man by just five years come fight night (age 43 for R.J, 38 for Slice), there is always a chance of the Pensacola legend suffering an embarrassment once the bell rings. If a real fight does break out, and if Jones’ faded reflexes are such that Slice is able to get close and land a crude but powerful bomb, anything could happen. This fact alone may convince fans to tune in or turn up in person.

Jones has travelled to a number of places to fight in recent times – Australia, Russia and Poland -and the once untouchable master has enjoyed only partial success. Certainly, after KO defeats at the hands of Danny Green and Denis Lebedev, what’s left of Jones’ career can ill afford a humbling at the hands of a boxing novice.

Boxing exhibitions between big name, once elite fighters seem to be all the rage right now, what with former heavyweight champs Evander Holyfield and Ray Mercer set to engage in a “rematch” in South Africa next year.

Jul 24, 2005
Abner Mares wants Nonito Donaire but says "Politics between Golden Boy and Top Rank, it’s not right"
By Steve Kim, MaxBoxing (Nov 6, 2012) Doghouse Boxing (Photo © Steve Kim)
-
Abner Mares
If there is a fight boxing fans would like to see in the super bantamweight class, it would be Abner Mares versus Nonito Donaire. Of course, the problem is Mares is promoted by Golden Boy and Donaire is with Top Rank, making this discussion a non-starter for now. And it frustrates Mares to no end.

“I can’t lie; this is my sport. I love it. But at the same time, it’s a business. It’s a business; I provide for my family with this job and, again, the fight I’ve been waiting for has not yet come because of the politics between Golden Boy and Top Rank and it’s not right,” said Mares. “It’s not right for us as fighters. We fall victim to their thing and it’s sad. It comes to frustration on my side but, again, I got this tough fight ahead of me and I took it with my arms open and just move on. Hopefully we win this fight and keep on moving forward.”

His manager, Frank Espinoza says that should Mares down Anselmo Moreno this coming Saturday on Showtime 10 p.m., ET, (which is certainly no guarantee), “We don’t want any other fight. He’s proven everything he’s had to prove and the only fight we want, the fans want, everybody else wants is just Donaire.”

No, ifs, ands or buts about it.

“This is the time. Like I said, we fought everybody; we only want to fight the best and Donaire is the best,” said Espinoza. “It’s the only fight we’d be looking at. It’s the only fight we’d want.”

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Awesome!

Rigondeaux Inks To Fight Poonsawat on 12/15, Done Deal

This will be on the Donaire/Arce undercard.
Great card. Got Em!!

Anyone that took Gamboa vs. Floyd serious is an idiot! Got Em!!

All-Time Great Roy Jones Junior To Face Kevin Ferguson, AKA Kimbo Slice …..In An Exhibition Bout
Boxing news published September 22, 2012 | 55 Comments
Oh boy! Got Em!!:mad:

Jul 24, 2005
Is Floyd Mayweather More Hype than Fight at this Stage of His Career?
By Ken Hissner, Doghouse Boxing (Nov 7, 2012) Doghouse Boxing
-
Floyd Mayweather
Floyd “Money” Mayweather, 43-0 (26), is 35 years old with 4 fights in the last 5 years. He hasn’t fought out of Las Vegas in his last 8 fights with only American referees. We all know what happened in the Victor Ortiz fight.

Mayweather knows how to pick his fights and who to avoid. Ask Paul Williams and Antonio Margarito who tried to get a fight with Mayweather. If it were not for a “Las Vegas” decision back in April of 2002 Jose Luis Castillo would have given Mayweather his first loss. He paid for it in the re-match.

Remember how Zab Judah made Mayweather look foolish for the first 4 rounds? How about the De la Hoya fight? Oscar was ahead 4-3 when he “decided” not to throw the jab again? Larry Merchant questioned him in the ring about it and Oscar said “it was really working good wasn’t it Larry?” The late, great Manny Steward replied to that at ringside by saying “that wasn’t a very good answer coming from someone with the experience of Oscar”.

How about light welterweight Ricky Hatton who in his 47 fight career has only fought past 140 once and that was in the Mayweather fight? Same with Victor Ortiz who never fought over 144 and was coming off the Andre Berto fight after being floored twice. Again, another blown-up light welterweight?

Mayweather skips 2008 and comes back with a “built-up” lightweight in Juan Manuel Marquez who only had 2 fights in the lightweight division after moving up from super featherweight never fighting over 135. He comes in at 142 while Mayweather is in at 146. In the Shane Mosley fight he takes on a fighter who hadn’t fought for 16 months. A year later Manny Pacquiao beats Mosley on points better than Mayweather did.

Speaking of Pacquiao there is no way Mayweather can decide on the terms in that one. Pacquiao was the man until the 2 judges who favored Timothy Bradley were more or less questioned by top official Harold Lederman prior to the bell ringing that night asking “what are they doing here?” It was obvious someone wanted Pacquiao out of the picture so he and Mayweather would no longer be rumored to meet again and again.

So Mayweather defeats Miguel Cotto at light middleweight. Cotto had beaten Margarito and Ricardo Mayorga who were not exactly boxers but sluggers. Cotto couldn’t handle the speed of Mayweather who unlike Pacquiao couldn’t stop Cotto. There is no way at light middleweight does Mayweather step into the ring with WBC middleweight champ Sergio Martinez. Though Martinez hasn’t made 154 since 2009 he hasn’t ever weighed as much as 160 either. In a fight like that Mayweather would be in with someone who has moves and punching power combined and would be much better at the lower weight of 154.

I’d be surprised if Top Rank hasn’t already signed Mayweather with Bradley. After all Bradley has only fought over 140 twice! I hear Mayweather and 50 cent have separated. Maybe “Money” should take on a new nickname like “2 cent”! Seems whenever he put’s his 2 cent in the media runs with it!

Jul 24, 2005
Edison Miranda Promised Fight Vs. Jean Pascal In 2013...if He Both Win On 12/14

Multi-talented North American Boxing Organization (NABO light heavyweight champion and adopted Quebec son, Eleider "Storm" Alvarez (10-0, 6 KOs) takes on heavy-handed Colombian Edison "Pantera" Miranda (35-8, 30 KOs) in a 12-round NABO title defense. Alvarez faces the stiffest test of his young career in the 43-fight veteran, 31-year-old Miranda. Miranda wanted Pascal as his opponent and he was promised a shot, if he defeats his Dec. 14th opponent. Since his third-round, technical knockout loss to Lucian Bute for the International Boxing Federation (IBF) super middleweight title in 2010, Miranda moved up to fight in light heavyweight division. Although he's lost three of his last five fights at 175-pounds, losing top leading prospects, Miranda's power and Kamikaze-style of fighting represents a constant danger to everyone and keeps spectators fascinated. Alvarez's coach, Marc Ramsay, commented, "A while ago, 'Storm' asked me to fight Miranda because he hates his attitude and personality. This will be a very personal fight for him; a very emotional battle ahead!"

Jul 24, 2005
Roach gives Pacquiao a controversial order
Boxing article posted on November 6th, 2012 | Post Comment

Pacquiao Marquez Pacquiao vs. Marquez manny pacquiao juan manuel marquez freddie roach By Mark Havey: Manny Pacquiao is set to face his arch rival, Juan Manuel Marquez for the 4th time. The first three have been spectacular and placed doubt in the minds of many. Some say Marquez should have won all three, others say the results have been accurate and Pacquiao has done better over the three fights.

Pacquiao’s last fight will surely be remembered as the upset of 2012 after he was beaten by Timothy Bradley on points. Like most people I don’t see how Bradley won that fight. Pacquiao was so evidently the winner, that the boxing world was left outraged. But enough has been written about that. One thing is clear, Pacquiao needs to do well in his next fight.

Hall of fame trainer Freddie Roach has also had a bad year. His 3 top fighters have underperformed. Amir Khan lost his last two fights against Lamont Peterson and Danny Garcia. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr was outclassed by Sergio Martinez. Then of course, Manny Pacquiao, as explained above. So Roach will be looking to put things right and get back to his winning ways.

There was no doubt that things were going to change in the Pacquiao camp. Pacquiao was told he should arrive early in LA, which he didn’t do. I don’t see what a long camp can do for someone of Pacquiao’s age. But there has been a bizarre change. Bloodyelbow.com have reported that Roach has told Pacquiao and Chavez Jr to abstain from all sexual relief 10 days before a fight. I don’t know how true this is, or what good it would do.

This subject has always been a issue in boxing. Some boxers swear by it and others say it doesn’t help at all. Most experts say the claims are baseless and that its seen as an old fashioned view. I’m inclined to agree. Scientist have said that, whilst it doesn’t do any harm, it doesn’t do any good either. I hope Pacquiao wins his next fight. With Roach’s vast experience, I can only assume he is making more changes than this.

Jul 24, 2005
Bellew hoping to get title shot against Dawson if he beats Bolonti on 11/17
Boxing article posted on November 6th, 2012 | Post Comment

Roberto Feliciano Bolonti Bellew Bolonti Bellew vs. Bolonti tony bellew chad dawson By Scott Gilfoid: #14 WBO Tony Bellew (18-1, 12 KO’s) hopes to put himself in position to where he can get a title shot against WBC light heavyweight champion Chad Dawson (31-2, 17 KO’s) in early 2013 if the 29-year-old Bellew can get past #5 WBC Roberto Feliciano Bolonti (30-1, 19 KO’s) in their fight on November 17th on the undercard of the Carl Froch vs. Yusaf Mack fight at the Capital FM Arena, in Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom.

Bellew and Bolonti will be fighting for the vacant WBC Silver light heavyweight title. With all the titles that litter boxing I’m not surprised that a trinket was found for this fight to somehow validate it. A strap for a #14 contender in Bellew and a little known fighter in Bolonti to fight for.

Bellew said to Sky Sports “I believe Chad Dawson is the best light heavyweight in the world, but I would be happy to fight him.”

The way Bellew sees it, a win over the #5 WBC Bolonti will put him in position to get a title shot against Dawson early next year.

What Bellew seems to be forgetting is he’s ranked near the bottom by the World Boxing Organization and has no ranking at all by the WBC in the top 15 at this time. It doesn’t make sense for the WBC then to turn around and give Bellew a top five ranking just because he beats their little known #5 WBC contender Bolonti.

That’s not realistic and I hope Bellew isn’t hoping for that actually to happen. The likely scenario is for Bellew, if he beats the obscure fighter Bolonti, to get a nice bottom 15 ranking by the World Boxing Council. This is in turn will put Bellew on course to get a title shot against Dawson in possibly three to four years at best.

Dawson isn’t going to waste time picking from the bottom to fight Bellew, because there’s no money fighting a little known Brit like Bellew in the United States. As such, if Bellew wants the fight with Dawson he’s probably going to have to wait until he’s ranked #1 by the wBC, and like I said, that’ll probably be in three or four years. It takes awhile for bottom ranked fighters to get pushed to number #1.

It’s not done over night and there’s a lot of other arguably more talented fighters ranked ahead of Bellew that are waiting for their chance at a title shot against Dawson. We’re talking guys like Issac Chilemba, Lucian Bute, Cornelius White, Eduard Gutknecht, Denis Grachev, Ismayl Sillkah, and many, many more. Bellew is just going to have to wait in line and I figure by the time he’s 33 or 34, he should get his shot at a world title strap.

Bellew needs to focus on just trying to beat Bolonti without running out of gas like he did against Nathan Cleverly last year. It would be bad to see Bellew gas out and lose again. If that happens he can forget all about fighting anyone for a world title for many years.

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Whats up wit "Bad" Chad Dawson? Who is he gonna fight next? He has to redeem himself bigtime after quitting in the ring. Losing is one thing, but quitting is another thing. Got Em!!

Jul 24, 2005
Chakhkiev vs. Taylor on Klitschko-Wach undercard on Saturday
Boxing article posted on November 8th, 2012 | Post Comment

On undercard of the championship fight between Wladimir Klitschko and his challenger, Mariusz Wach this Saturday night in Hamburg, Germany, former 2008 Olympic heavyweight gold medalist Rakhim “The Machine” is Chakhkiev (15-0, 12 KO’s) will return to the ring. He faces the #15 WBA cruiserweight contender Andres Taylor (21-2-2, 8 KO’s) in a scheduled 10 round bout at the O2 World Arena.

Taylor has been preparation for weeks because he was originally intended to meet the World Boxing Association (WBA) champion Guillermo Jones. This fight had to be canceled due to an injury that Jones suffered. While the public waits for the fight between Wladimir Klitschko and challenger Mariusz Wach, the bout between Chakhkiev and Taylor promises to be a great addition for the Klitschko fans and it should be a great show:

“Everyone is looking forward to the fight of Klitschko and I respect that, but I can the fans say in the hall just that. It pays to be there on time. I will show a spectacular fight Klitschko in terms of entertainment and competition do,” said the reigning WBC Baltic Champion Chakhkiev. The fight is scheduled for 10 rounds, and it will take place right before the main battle between Klitschko and Wach. Chakhkie wants to put on a good show for everyone.

“I fought a few weeks ago [against Epifanio Mendoza], but I feel good and I’m already really excited about the fight in such a big arena. The short preparation was perfect,” says Chakhkiev . Chakhkiev destroyed Colombian Epifanio Mendoza in a 9th round TKO last month on October 12th in an impressive performance.

In getting ready for the Taylor bout, Chakhkiev sparred with Enad Licina from the Hamburg EC Boxing neighboring stable. Trainer Anthony Brooks expects a quick victory on Saturday. “I had to slow him [Chakhkiev] down in sparring at times in getting ready [for the Taylor bout], otherwise we would have needed more sparring partners. I expect that Rakhim will end the fight early,” Brooks said. With a knockout ratio of 80 percent, it will likely be an early end for this fight. The fans will be pleased.

Jul 24, 2005
Erislandy Lara Interview: "When I beat Martirosyan, Canelo Alvarez will have to step up!"
By "Big Dog" Benny Henderson Jr., Doghouse Boxing (Nov 08, 2012) Doghouse Boxing (Photo © Chris Farina / Top Rank)
-
Erislandy Lara
Coming up this Saturday night, at the Wynn Resort, in Las Vegas, Nevada, two warriors will collide in the WBC light middleweight title eliminator, as the once beaten, hard hitting Erislandy Lara 17-1-1 (11) goes head to head against the undefeated Vanes Martirosyan 32-0 (20), live on HBO 9:45 ET/PT. There has been some bad blood between the two combatants, but the talking will cease and the leather will fly, in what Lara demands will be a beating, when he squares off against Martirosyan. In this exclusive interview, Lara speaks out on his upcoming fight, his future, and more, enjoy.

Benny Henderson Jr.: We are a few days away from your highly anticipated fight with Vanes Martirosyan. Can you tell the fans how this last week of preparation is going?

Lara: All the hard work is done and it’s time to show the everyone who the best light middleweight in the world is.

Benny: You and Vanes seem to have some bad blood brewing with the war of words on twitter. Do you think the emotion leading up to this fight will play out on Saturday?

Lara: I’m coming to put a beating on Vanes this Saturday. He’s been talking a lot and now it’s time to put his mouth to rest. He will not be able to escape the attack I’m about to put on him. He’s in for a rude awakening.

Benny: You guys are fighting in an elimination bout to face WBC champion, Saul “Canelo” Alvarez. What can you tell us about that situation?

Lara: When I beat Martirosyan, Canelo will have to step up and finally fight a full fledge light middleweight. If he doesn’t honor his mandatory then the media should look at him as a fraud.

Benny: Your promoter Golden Boy, is not the lead promoter in this fight, do you think you’ll get a fair shake being that rival Top Rank is in charge of this promotion?

Lara: I’m not worried about the judging in this fight. I’m coming to dominate Vanes and the millions watching on TV will see who the elite fighter is in this division.

Benny: Any last words you want to say to the fans?

Lara: I want to thank all my fans who’ve supported my quest to fight for a world title. I’ve earned my No. 1 ranking the hard way by fighting the best competition in the division. Vanes is ranked No. 2 so we should be applauded for fighting each other when all these so called champions are and picking their opponents. Please follow me on twitter L @lara boxing . Thank you.

Props: Tony
Jul 24, 2005
BARRY HUNTER: "SOMETHING JUST AIN'T RIGHT�MORALES, THEY JUST TOOK THIS MAN'S WORD FOR IT"
By Percy Crawford | November 08, 2012

"If you dig deeper I bet you are gonna find out all kinds of stuff about this thing, man," stated world-class trainer Barry Hunter, who talked about last month's decision of the New York State Athletic Commission to allow Erik Morales to move forward with a fight against Danny Garcia despite reportedly testing positive on two occasions for the performance enhancing steroid Clenbuterol. Hunter, whose own fighter, Lamont Peterson, had a rematch with Amir Khan cancelled earlier this year after also testing positive, believes something is fishy about the fact that Morales was allowed to fight while Peterson was thrown under the bus, even after providing a significant amount of evidence to explain the reason behind his one positive test.

"Something just aint right bruh, and I told Dre [Andre Johnson, their publicist] that when it comes to Erik Morales, they just took this man's word for it. He said that it was contaminated beef, but where is your physical evidence? You don't have a partially eaten sandwich or partially eaten steak or a stool sample or the caucus of the beef? How do you make this determination," Hunter asked during a recent conversation with FightHype. And it wasn't just the Morales case that bothered Hunter. He also pointed out Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.'s positive test for marijuana following his title fight against Sergio Martinez, as well several other cases where he thinks the fighters received far less than backlash than Peterson.

"You have another one who tests positive for marijuana with no medical reason behind it. I haven't heard anything as far as Antonio Tarver or Andre Berto. I don't know all of their cases, but I know that out of all of these cases, there is only one that gave medical reasons and had medical facts to back it up, and volunteered the information, and that's Lamont," Hunter continued. The fact that Morales was allowed to fight and make a payday after testing positive just days out from the fight is the biggest head scratcher in his opinion. "Both Chavez and Morales still got paid, bruh. And in fact, if you dig deeper, you will find a lot of other fighters that have tested positive for a substance and it was never told or talked about. Again, if you investigate and dig deeper, you will find out all kinds of garbage is going on," Hunter added.

Jul 24, 2005
BILLY DIB WILL NOT BE DEFENDING HIS TITLE ON DECEMBER 1; LAWYER BLAMES "BOXING POLITICS"
By Ben Thompson | November 08, 2012

According to his attorney, IBF featherweight champion Billy Dib will not be defending his title on the December 1 undercard of Miguel Cotto vs. Austin Trout. Dib's attorney, Adam Houda, confirmed the news via his Twitter page. "Media Release: My client T @Thereal BillyDib will not be fighting Dec 1 NY. It appears Billy has been caught in the cross-fire of boxing politics," Houda would write. Dib would retweet the message shortly afterwards to his own followers.

Several days ago, his promoter, Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson, announced that Dib would indeed be defending his title against undefeated challenger Jayson Velez on the televised portion of the Showtime card. That announcement, however, was a bit premature, as Showtime was allegedly not keen on the idea of televising Dib, who had a less-than-stellar showing in a previously televised unanimous decision loss to then-champion Steve Luevano in 2008. Judging from his attorney's comments, however, they are of the opinion that "boxing politics" may have played a role in Showtime's decision to turn down the fight. More specifically, there are some who believe that Jackson may have rubbed some people the wrong way and may have a difficult time doing business in the sport of boxing.

Time will tell if that theory holds true, but for now, it looks like Jackson will have to continue to work hard to get the entertaining Dib a new fight date.

Jul 24, 2005
What excuses will Roach have if Pacquiao has another poor outing?
Boxing article posted on November 8th, 2012 | Post Comment

boxing By Chris Williams: We’ve seen Freddie Roach come up with a number of excuses for his fighter Manny Pacquiao under performing in his last three fights. However, the excuses are running thin and if Pacquiao can’t beat Juan Manuel Marquez without great controversy there’s going to be a bucket-load of criticism heaped onto the heads of Roach and Pacquiao.

We’ve heard the excuse about Pacquiao having leg cramps, and we’ve heard the excuse about him having marriage problems. But this time Roach is going to have to face the music and just say it straight that Marquez is simply the better fighter with superior talent. It’s pretty obvious to the rest of the boxing world despite the excuses given each time Pacquiao has been fighting lately.

Roach wants Pacquiao to KO Marquez in this fight in order to shut off all avenues of criticism that he himself as well as Pacquiao will receive from boxing fans. To try and make that happen, Roach is working Pacquiao hard with help from strength and conditioning coach. They’re going to work him and pray that he can regain what he’s lost through age.

All I can say is good luck. Getting Pacquiao back to where he was before is going to be impossible to do. You can make it look deceiving if his promoter Bob Arum starts matching Pacquiao against weak opponents. It’ll give the impression that Roach and Ariza’s training has brought Pacquiao back to his old form. However, Arum doesn’t seem to want to do that because he’s trying to maximize revenue for Pacquiao’s fights and to face an easy guy won’t bring in the big cash that he’s used to getting.

The only way I see Pacquiao winning this fight is by controversy like in the last two times he fought Marquez. The fight will likely play out like it’s done in the past with Marquez dominating Pacquiao, but then we’ll see Pacquiao get the decision. The boxing fans will boo and then the excuses will likely start from there by Roach.

Jul 24, 2005
Schaefer hints that Saul Alvarez won’t face Lara-Martirosyan winner
Boxing article posted on November 7th, 2012 | Post Comment

Lara Martirosyan Lara vs. Martirosyan vanes martirosyan saul alvarez erislandy lara By Dan Ambrose: This Saturday’s fight between Erislany Lara and Vanes Martirosyan is supposed to be a WBC junior middleweight eliminator bout with the winner becoming the mandatory challenger for WBC 154 lb champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez. However, it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen according to some of the comments from Alvarez’s promoter Richard Schaefer at Golden Boy Promotions.

Schaefer says that Alvarez only wants the big fights and wants to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr, Miguel Cotto or Sergio Martinez next. According to the wbcboxing.com website, the WBC president Jose Sulaiman says that Alvarez has to fight the Lara-Martirosyan winner next and not one of the three names that Alvarez wants to fight in his next bout in May.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like Alvarez and Golden Boy Promotions are going to go along with the program because they don’t seem interested in Alvarez fighting either Lara or Martirosyan next despite their fight being an eliminator bout. Usually, when champions hold titles they have to defend against mandatory contenders. They can’t just fight whoever they want to fight. That kind of makes a mockery of the whole idea behind a champion if they can pick and choose the guys that they want to fight instead of the fighters that the sanctioning bodies pick out after setting up eliminator bouts like the Lara vs. Martirosyan fight on Saturday.

Schaefer said this as quoted by Latimes.com writer Lance Pugmire: “What do think Canelo thinks of this? [the WBC president saying that Alvarez has to fight the Martirorsyan vs. Lara winner next]. If you have a chance to fight the best fighter in the world in Floyd Mayweather., and you get that opportunity, doesn’t that take priority?”

I think Schaefer is probably kidding himself if he thinks that Alvarez is going to get a fight against Mayweather next in May. That’s not realistic, and I can’t even imagine what Schaefer even floated that idea. He might as well be talking about Alvarez winning the lottery because he’s not going to get the Mayweather fight. But it does look like Alvarez could vacate this World Boxing Council title if the WBC tries to force him to fight one of the top guys that they have ranked. I don’t see why Alvarez doesn’t do it because the chances are high he’s not going to get a fight against Sergio Martinez in May because Martinez is fighting in Argentina while he waits for a rematch against Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Alvarez won’t likely get a fight against Miguel Cotto, because the chances are high that Cotto loses to Austin Trout on December 1st. Sure, Alvarez can fight Trout but that’s a fight that’s no bigger than Alvarez fighting Martirosyan or Lara. He might as well fight one of those guys if Trout ends up taking Cotto out of play.

What boxing fans don’t like about Alvarez is the way he got the WBC title in the first place by beating a welterweight in Matthew Hatton instead of a junior middleweight. Fans didn’t like that. They also haven’t liked the match-making that Golden Boy has done for Alvarez since he picked up the belt. Alvarez has defended his title against a 40-year-old over the hill Shane Mosley, a light welterweight Josesito Lopez, a welterweight Alfonso Gomez, a struggling Kermit Cintron and an older Ryan Rhodes. That’s 2 welterweights, 1 light light welterweight and three older fighters past their prime.

Recently there was talk that the 22-year-old Alvarez would defend his title in December, but instead he said he’s not fighting in December and wants to sit around and wait 8 months until May 5th the Mexican holiday Cinco de Mayo, and he only wants to fight the big names Martinez, Cotto and Mayweather.

A lot of boxing fans think Alvarez hasn’t paid his dues yet and that he doesn’t deserve to fight one of those guys yet because of the soft matchmaking done for him in the last two years. It’s difficult to imagine Alvarez, who is still only 22, choosing to take nearly a year off from boxing just to sit around and wait for a big fight instead of doing what he’s required to do in order to keep his WBC title. He may not get the big fight that he’s asking for and does he really deserve it at this point with the matchmaking he’s had

Jul 24, 2005
Peter Quillin vs. Jermain Taylor on Garcia-Judah undercard on 1/19

Quillin Taylor Garcia Judah Garcia vs. Judah zab judah peter quillin jermain taylor danny garcia By Dan Ambrose: Steve Kim is reporting on his twitter page that Golden Boy is setting up a card on January 19th headlined by WBA/WBC light welterweight champion Danny Garcia (25-0, 16 KO’s) defending his titles against 34-year-old Zab Judah (42-7, 29 KO’s) at the Barclays Center, Brooklyn, New York, USA. On the undercard will be former WBC/WBO middleweight champion Jermain Taylor (31-4-1, 19 KO’s) facing WBO middleweight champion Peter Quillin (28-0, 20 KO’s).

What’s so interesting about this card is that both fights involve past their prime fighters taking on guys – Garcia and Quillin – in the prime of their career. I’m not so excited about either fight, although I’m not surprised that the fights are being made because Golden Boy has a couple of vulnerable champions in Garcia and Quillin. They’ve got to match them carefully because if they put them in with the wrong opponent then neither of these fighters will be champions.

Quillin, 29, looked really vulnerable in beating World Boxing Organization 160 lb champion Hassan N’Dam N’Jikam by a 12 round unanimous decision last month. Quillin knocked N’Dam down six times but in between all the knockdowns, Quillin was getting out-boxed and out-worked by a very limited N’Dam.

The fight that boxing fans was hoping that Golden Boy would make was a unification bout between Quillin and WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin. However, neither Quillin nor Golden Boy want to make that fight for some reason. Putting Quillin in with a past his prime Taylor would appear to be a case of Golden Boy keeping their champion safe, because if they put Quillin in with Golovkin that would be pretty much a guaranteed loss for Quillin. He doesn’t have the boxing skills to beat a fighter like Golovkin and it would be pretty ugly and one-sided if that fight were to be made.

Taylor, 34, has fought three times since making his comeback last year and has beaten the following fighters: Jessie Nicklow, Caleb Truax and Raul Munoz. Taylor hasn’t looked much different from the fighter that was knocked out by Carl Froch, Kelly Pavlik and Arthur Abraham. The only thing that’s changed is that he’s being matched up against weak opposition.

Taylor is ranked #8 by the WBO, and you could see this fight coming a mile away after Quillin struggled to beat N’Dam. I didn’t think for a second that Golden Boy would put Quillin in with someone relevant in the middleweight division like Martin Murray, and Dmitriy Pirog.

Look for Quillin to be matched against the mostly little known opposition that the WBO has ranked for as long as possible without facing dangerous guys like Golovkin or Pirog.

As for this fight, Quillin will beat Taylor if for no other reason that Taylor is way over the hill and will likely not be able to handle Quillin’s power shots.

Jul 24, 2005
Mayweather desperate to stay relevant in boxing

floyd mayweather jr By Mark Calooke: This era has seen the boxing world wrapped up in the fairy tale of Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather. I call it a fairy tale for two reasons. First off, it appeared to be the perfect match up. Secondly, just like fairy tales it was a fabrication that was never going to happen. Mayweather now wants far too much money for a fight that he projects as being low risk.

Of course I wanted to see this fight. I don’t see it as a low risk for either fighter. Once upon a time it would have been a close fight, a tough fight. I saw it as a genuine 50/50 battle. But both have passed their prime. Pacquiao is still deadly but not the destructive machine he once was. Mayweather struggled against Miguel Cotto, showing certain signs of slowing down against an opponent who is past his best. A fight between the worlds two best boxers, in their prime, would have been fantastic. But sadly that ship has sailed.

Floyd Mayweather is running a serious risk of becoming a thing of the past in boxing. It has been over 3 months since his release from prison for assault on his ex girlfriend. Floyd has still refused to comment on his career or make an announcement of who he is fighting next. No date, no nothing. In fact there has been times when he seems to have disappeared off the face of the planet. I spend a lot of times in gyms and whenever I mention Floyd people seem disinterested. I ask “who would win, Pacquiao or Mayweather”? and people just shrug their shoulders with a bored expression. I ask “who will win, Pacquiao or Marquez”? people become very animated and gym mates start butting in with who they think.

Floyd Mayweather seems to have made an attempt to stay at the top of boxing, without actually beating anyone. Opposingviews.com has stated that Floyd Mayweather asked 50 cent to stage their fall out in order to get both of them in the news again. They say that 50 cent has confirmed this. It’s a shame that Mayweather doesn’t just do what other boxers do. And that is fight, and beat other boxers. That’s the way to get people talking about you. There is no need to deceive your fans into thinking you have engaged in petty arguments via twitter. Children do that, not champions and role models. Enough of all this WWE behavior. Fight, or retire. I don’t think Mayweather will ever fight again.

Props: JLMACN