Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Mayweather-Mosley will receive an HBO 24/7 series, but not Pacquiao-Clottey bout

By Sean McDaniel: For Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Shane Mosley fans, they’ll be able to see an HBO Mayweather-Mosley 24/7 series for the May 1st mega fight at the MGM Grand, in Las Vegas, Nevada. The 24/7 series, which are usually very popular and powerful tools in hyping fights to the casual boxing fans of the sport, will go a long ways towards making the Mayweather-Mosley fight a huge pay-per-view moneymaker for the fighter. Sadly, the same thing can’t be said of the bout between World Boxing Organization welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao vs. Joshua Clottey on March 13th.

That fight, which pits the well known Pacquiao vs. a mostly obscure fighter, will receive a single special on HBO, called “Road to Dallas,” which will air immediately after the March 6th broadcast of Vic Darchinyan vs. Rodrigo Guerrero. That’s certainly disappointing news for Pacquiao fans, because it will probably limit how many of the casual boxing fans tune in to see the Pacquiao-Clottey fight.

The Pacquiao-Clottey fight more than the Mayweather-Mosley bout would seem to really need the HBO 24/7 series quite badly to introduce fans to Clottey, and try to make a fight, which on paper appears to be a huge mismatch, into a more appealing one for the unknowing fans.

ESPN writer Dan Rafael says that Mayweather and Mosley will start a three city promotional tour to hype the fight. The tour will begin on March 2nd at the Nokia Theater in Times Square in New York, and then on March 3rd it will move to the Lincoln Theater in Washington, D.C. The final city of the tour will be on March 4th at the NOKIA Plaza in L.A. Live in Los Angeles. The tour will be free to the public, which is great news for fans of both fighters

Jul 24, 2005
Matthew Hatton says he’s up for the challenge of fighting Saul Alvarez – News

By Chris Williams: Welterweight contender Matthew Hatton (38-4-2, 15 KO’s) says he’s up for the challenge of facing fellow welterweight contender Saul Alvarez (30-0-1, 22 KO’s) on the Floyd Mayweather vs. Shane Mosley undercard on May 1st. In an interview at Blandhatton, Matthew Hatton says “It’s [the Saul Alvarez bout] definitely a fight that I’m interested in. Robert Diaz with Golden Boy Promotions spoke to me last week sometime mentioning a possible fight with Saul Alvarez. I’m always up for a challenge to fight on the Mosley-Mayweather boxing card. These chances don’t come along a lot, so obviously it’s a chance I would jump at. I told Robert I was very interested in the fight, and he said he would be back in touch with me. So far, they haven’t, but I’m up for the challenge so the ball is in their [Golden Boy Promotions] in their court. Nothing concrete has been put to us.”

Hatton would be a very tough fight for a fighter like the 19-year-old Alvarez. I’ve seen a number of Alvarez’s fights and he’s pretty much a pure slugger with only a right hand going for him. He has no power in his left and looks awkward when he uses his left at all. His accuracy is terrible, as he misses a lot with his shots and Alvarez’s defense is entirely missing.

Alvarez is currently ranked high in the welterweight division at #4 WBC, #5 WBO, and #7 WBA. I think Hatton beats this guy based on his better boxing ability. Hatton may not be a big puncher, but he can box well and has that crafty in and out style of fighting that would likely give a guy like Alvarez fits. Hatton looked damn good in his fight against Lovemore N’dou in November 2009, and I think Hatton should have that fight easily by at least four rounds. The bout was scored a 12 round draw but Hatton clearly should have won that. N’dou can punch, but Hatton did a great job avoiding his big punches through most of the fight. N’dou is faster than Alvarez and probably hits about as hard.

Hopefully Golden Boy matched Alvarez up with Hatton, because I think this would be a good match up style wise for Hatton. However, I have my doubts that they’ll want to put a green fighter like Alvarez in with Hatton at this point. I can see Hatton pulling off an upset, if you want to call it that, and thus ruining Alvarez’s big U.S. debut fight

Jul 24, 2005
Allan Green takes on Ward, says “I just don’t see anyone who can beat me”

By William Mackay: The official announcement was made today that super middleweight contender Allan Green (29-1, 20 KO’s) will be stepping in for Jermain Taylor and fighting unbeaten Andre Ward (21-0, 13 KO’s) in the stage 2 of the Super Six tournament on April 17th, in Oakland, California. Green, 30, will be the new meat for Ward, and you almost have to feel sorry for him after seeing how easily Ward handled the number #1 fighter in the tourney, Mikkel Kessler in November.

Ward beat Kessler every which way possible in defeating him by an 11 round technical decision on November 21st. Ward didn’t get the stoppage win, but there’s a good chance that the fight would have been stopped had it been allowed to continue. Green is a good fighter with good size at 6’2”, excellent power and blazing hand speed.

However, something appears to be missing from Green’s overall game. He looked horrible in a 10 round decision loss to Edison Miranda in 2007, throwing few punches and spending a good portion of the time staring at his own shoes while fighting. Green looked scared of Miranda and didn’t do much beyond recording a flash knockdown of Miranda in the 8th. In the 10th round and final round, Miranda hurt Green and poured it on, dropping him twice before the round had ended. If there was an 11th round, it’s doubtful that Green would have made it to the end of it.

Green has mostly faced 2nd tier opposition since his loss to Miranda, the one exception being a lackluster 10 round decision over Tarvis Simms in October 2009. Green looked bad in that fight, missing over and over again all night long and just looking not with it. Based on that fight and the Miranda bout, which are pretty much the extent of Green’s experience against top tier opponents, he’s probably going to be badly outclassed by the younger Ward.

Green will have a chance, of course, to beat Ward if he can connect with one of his huge right hands. But its doubtful Green will be able to connect with anything big enough to worry the southpaw Ward. More than likely, Green will be worried about getting hit by Ward and will be fighting on the back foot all night long to avoid getting taken out.

In a press release sent today, Green says “I just don’t see anyone who can beat me. I’ve watched all the fighters over and over. I’ve studied all of them and know I can beat any of them.” That’s pretty bold talk for Green. However, I personally think there’s not a fighter Green can beat in the tournament.

Green will likely lose to Ward in their stage 2 Super Six bout, and in Green’s stage 3 bout, he’s matched up against Mikkel Kessler. Depending on how well Kessler performs against his next opponent Carl Froch, Green could end up taking another loss against Kessler and thus ending his chances of moving to the next semi final round of the Super Six tourney. Green has the bad luck of inheriting Taylor’s place in the tournament, meaning that he’s starting off with zero points in the tournament and is training Froch, Ward and Abraham.

Share and Enjoy:

Jul 24, 2005
Kessler: “This is a last chance” – [his fight with Froch]

By Scott Gilfoid: Former WBA super middleweight champion Mikkel Kessler (42-2, 32 KO’s) seems to have a negative fatalistic outlook for his April 24th Super Six bout against undefeated World Boxing Council super middleweight champion Carl Froch (26-0, 20 KO’s), saying in an article at thisisnottingham, “Carl Froch is the world champion so it is a big challenge for me. This is a last chance, a big chance. The Super Six means it is now or never. I will do my best but I still feel like I am the best super middleweight in the world.”

Kessler, 30, might want to sound a little more upbeat about the fight. It’s not exactly going to inspire boxing fans to see Kessler talking about this being his last chance. Kessler was beaten in his last fight in the Super Six tournament in an 11 round technical decision to American Andre Ward. While some people feel that Kessler is a shot fighter and point to that as the reason why he lost to Ward, it seems like Kessler just met up with a better fighter. This is what the Super Six tournament is all about.

These are some of the best fighters in the division, so it’s not beyond reason that Kessler – or even Froch – are going to wind up getting beaten once or twice in the tournament by better fighters. However, to talk about it as a last chance seems silly. Kessler should shut out any thoughts about his last defeat to Ward and just focus on beating Froch. After all, Froch has few of the physical tools that Ward showed in his win over Kessler.

Froch is on the slow side, not good at blocking shots, and an inviting target with his upright style of fighting. This is, as Kessler said recently, the type of fighter that he has knocked over his entire career. Kessler should relax more and focus on just having a good time and doing what he’s always done in the past by jabbing Froch’s head off all night long.

Kessler says “I always have respect for my opponents and I hate to trash talk. It is a gentlemen’s sport so why should we go say bad things. Privately, Carl is a very nice guy, but when it is a business, it is a business. He is going to be in for a big surprise with my following in Denmark. It is a big pressure in front of them [the Danish boxing fans] and you never want to disappoint anyone. My training is going well, so it is up to me to show people I am the best fighter.”

I’m really disappointed in Kessler. He needs to snap out of it and start opening his trap. He’s going to bore everyone to death with his nice manners, and send me into a deep depression listening to his comments.

Froch says that he won’t be bothered by the Danish fans, and that they won’t be able to step foot in the ring with him and Kessler. However, Froch seems to never stop barking about this subject, so there probably is some fear there for Froch. He needs to deal with it somehow. American Andre Dirrell had to deal with 8000 screaming fans in his fight against Froch in Nottingham, England, so now it’s Froch’s turn. He’s just going to have to deal with it and quit bellyaching about them.

Jul 24, 2005
Haye: “I’m going to be dishing him [Ruiz] out Haye all night long”

By Scott Gilfoid: World Boxing Association heavyweight champion David Haye (23-1, 21 KO’s) will be facing the stiffest test of his career when he faces two-time heavyweight champion John Ruiz (44-8-1, 30 KO’s) on April 3rd at the M.E.N. Arena, Manchester, Lancashire, United Kingdom. Although Haye’s narrow 12 round decision win over WBA heavyweight champion Nikolay Valuev was his best fight as a heavyweight to date, Ruiz looks to be a step up from the 36-year-old Valuev in ability.

Valuev may have beaten Ruiz twice by controversial decisions in Germany, but Ruiz appears to be fighting at a higher level than Valuev at this point of the 7-foot Russian’s career. That’s not good news for the 29-year-old Haye, who barely scraped out a decision against Valuev due to his timid, non-offensive performance against the Russian. Haye says he hurt his hand early in the fight, and was focusing on using his boxing skills against Valuev. However, his punch output was even low before the injury occurred. Haye will have to do better if he wants to beat Ruiz on April 3rd.

In an article at Sky Sports News, Haye says “He [Ruiz] comes towards me, he never runs from people. He comes out there and tries to press the action and press the fight and it will give me plenty of openings to counter him.” Maybe, but I doubt it. There wasn’t much countering done by Haye in his last fight against Valuev. In that fight, Valuev constantly pressed forward looking to engage with Haye.

Instead of standing his ground and countering, Haye ran around the ring looking to avoid Valuev. I sure hope that Haye doesn’t do that against Ruiz, because there won’t be much countering done if Haye is moving all the time. And for that matter, there probably won’t be much action if Haye doesn’t stop moving. The good thing is that Haye doesn’t seem to move very well. He looked like he was carrying a 50 pound weight on his back as he continuously circled the ring against Valuev. I felt dizzy just watching all the circling from Haye. It was just awful to watch.

Haye says “I’m going to be dishing him [Ruiz] out Haye all night long. He’s going to be eating it all day.” I bet. Haye was saying similar things before his bout against Valuev, and looked what happened. Haye was like a sprinter in the ring, albeit a slow one. The extra weight that Haye put on to fight Valuev seemed to be a little bit of flab, because he didn’t look as conditioned as he normally does.

Most of Haye’s weight is in his upper body, and his legs have to work hard to carry him around the ring. Hopefully, Haye takes off some of that useless muscle in his upper body and trims off the flab that he’s put on as he’s bulked up in weight. I can see the weight on Haye, especially around his jowls. I think Haye needs to burn off the blubber and trim back down to 200. I think he’d be a better fighter at that weight, and if things don’t work out for him, he can always go back to cruiserweight.

Share and Enjoy:

Jul 24, 2005
Would Pacquiao get dominated by Mayweather?

By Esteban Garduno: I think it’s for the best that Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. ended up not fighting. If they had fought, I have a strong feeling that the Pacquiao hype machine would end on that night with Mayweather making Pacquiao look ridiculous in beating him either by knockout or a hopelessly one-sided decision. Pacquiao is just too wide open and flawed with his fighting ability to beat a skilled boxer like Mayweather, in my view. Pacquiao is great at beating fighters that come at him and the type that are there for him to hit, but he looks bad if he has someone that can counter punch and move.

For example, Juan Manuel Marquez really exposed many of Pacquiao’s flaws in his two fights with him. I think Marquez beat Pacquiao in both fights, even though the judges gave it to Pacquiao in the 2nd fight. Mayweather, and even better counter puncher than Marquez, with lighting fast hand speed and excellent foot speed.

Pacquiao would likely have no chance against Mayweather, and would probably get picked apart. It’s good that Pacquiao was spared having to face that kind of a boxer, because by not fighting Mayweather – or even Shane Mosley or Timothy Bradley – Pacquiao can probably retire on a strong note by maybe beating up Miguel Cotto again for the WBA light middleweight title.

There’s also a fight against Edwin Valero, a straight ahead fighter that seems to be made for Pacquiao’s style of fighting. Mayweather, though, would probably be a living nightmare for Pacquiao. Both bigger and faster than Pacquiao, Mayweather would have almost every advantage you could think of in a fight against Pacquiao.

It wouldn’t matter what Pacquiao’s trainer Freddie Roach came up with to beat Mayweather, it wouldn’t likely work at all. Mayweather would beat Pacquiao down, hitting him each time Pacquiao tried to throw one of his shots. Pacquiao wouldn’t be able to take advantage of any of Mayweather’s mistakes, because he wouldn’t be making any.

Mayweather wouldn’t be initiating the action like Pacquiao victims Oscar De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton and Miguel Cotto. Instead, it would be Pacquiao who be forced to come at Mayweather and take his pin point shots to the head. I think it would be just an awful fight for Pacquiao. And what would be really bad is all the people that would see the fight.

The entire world would watch it, and remember it long after. Roach wouldn’t have a clue what to do to help Pacquiao out in this one. It’s beyond what Roach could come up. Mayweather has been trained since he was a small child at boxing, and has learned the craft quite well. And his physical tools make him even better. This fight would be like teacher beating up pupil.

I think it would be a massive slaughter with Pacquiao getting backside kicked by Mayweather. It’s a good thing that they don’t fight. Pacquiao is better off facing Cotto again, winning his 8th world title, and then maybe beating up Edwin Valero for his final fight. Those two fights would be an excellent way for Pacquiao to retire. He doesn’t need Mayweather

Jul 24, 2005
Arreola: “Doesn’t matter if I have to go through David Gaye, I want that title”

By Jim Dower: Heavyweight contender Chris Arreola (26-1, 25 KO’s) is focused and dialed into working on picking up a heavyweight title in the near future. Arreola, 28, has a fight coming up on April 24th, against former cruiserweight champion Tomasz Adamek (40-1, 27 KO’s) at the Citizens Business Bank Arena, in Ontario, California. In an article at Poundforpound boxing, Arreola says “Doesn’t matter which brother [Klitschko] go through or if I have to go through David Gaye, I want that title.”

Arreola first must beat the 33-year-old Adamek if he wants to get a shot against heavyweight champions Vitali and Wladimir Klitschko or David Haye. Most likely even if Arreola beats Adamek, he won’t be considered an option for the 38-year-old Vitali Klitschko. He already stopped Arreola in the 10th round last year in October in a one-sided bout.

Vitali plans on trying to get a fight against WBA heavyweight champion Haye this year and then retiring from boxing. However, Arreola can still put himself in position for a fight against Haye or Wladimir Klitschko. However, Arreola is going to have to find a way to deal with Adamek’s better hand speed and movement otherwise he’ll end up losing his chance for a title shot.

Adamek has an advantage in that he’s moved up from the light heavyweight to the cruiserweight and finally recently to the heavyweight division. Because he’s moved up from the lighter weights, Adamek has slightly better hand speed than the average heavyweight and has better movement. Let’s be clear, though, Adamek doesn’t have great hand speed.

Heavyweights like Wladimir Klitschko, Haye, Kevin Johnson and Odlanier Solis are a lot faster than Adamek in terms of hand speed. But Arreola doesn’t have the hand speed like those guys and nor does he have the same ability to get around the ring. This is why Arreola has said recently that he plans on trimming down for this fight and coming in at between 240 and 245.

Arreola has weighed no less than 251 in his last five fights dating back to September 2008. Arreola plans on changing this for his bout against Adamek, saying that he’s going to have to be fast to chase Adamek around the ring all night long. Arreola isn’t joking. Adamek, at one time a slugger in both the light heavyweight and cruiserweight divisions, looked more like a runner in his last fight against Jason Estrada than a slugger.

Adamek moved around the ring in huge circles nonstop all night long against the light hitting Estrada, and still ended up taking some monstrous shots from him. You can be certain that if Adamek runs from a light hitter like Estrada, he’s going to really be on his bike against a much bigger puncher like Arreola. However, Adamek will have to stop at some point to land enough punches to win a decision. He can’t peck and run all night long and expect to win the fight.

Jul 24, 2005
Clottey: “Pacquiao is not that different from anyone else that I’ve fought”

By Dave Lahr: Former IBF welterweight champion Joshua Clottey isn’t impressed with World Boxing Organization Manny Pacquiao and sees him like any other fighter that he’s fought during his career. In an article at the Boxing.fanhouse, Clottey said “I can’t tell you my strategy. I can’t and will not tell you what I’m going to do to Manny Pacquiao. But I’m coming to fight. This, I do know. Manny Pacquiao is not that different from anyone else that I’ve fought.” This is what I’ve been saying a long time. Pacquiao isn’t as good as people think he is.

Look at who he’s beaten in the past couple of years to become popular: Oscar De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton and Miguel Cotto. Those were all good fighters at one time, but clearly by the time that Pacquiao fought them they were suffering problems with their game. De La Hoya was just old and past it by the time Pacquiao fought him, and Hatton didn’t look like the same fighter after his knockout loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. two years earlier.

And Cotto hadn’t looked good since being knocked out by Antonio Margarito in 2008. Besides that, all those guys were face forward type fighters and made the mistake of either coming right at Pacquiao or standing dead in their tracks letting Pacquiao use his in and out attacks. There wasn’t mobile fighter among those three like Mayweather, Shane Mosley or Timothy Bradley. I think Pacquiao loses to all three of those guys because they at least know how to move their feet, and would take advantage of all the flaws in Pacquiao’s game.

Clottey says “Manny Pacquiao is a human being, like everyone else. He’s just a really good fighter who is out there now who is no 1 now. I don’t know how he’s coming to me, but I can tell you that I’m a different fighter altogether than anyone else that he’s faced. I’m a really difficult fighter, you see.”

I agree with Clottey. He is a different fighter. He at least has something left in the tank, and wasn’t recently pounded on like Cotto and Hatton were. I think Clottey can win this fight if he takes the fight to Pacquiao and blocks his right hook.

Pacquiao is right hook happy since his trainer Freddie Roach taught him that punch. If you block that punch and take it away from him, Pacquiao is basically helpless. He’s a got a left hand, but his right hook is what has led to his recent success. Just block and drive a right hand down the middle and it’s a victory for Clottey.

“I’m going to rely on my pressure,” Clottey says. That sounds like a good strategy. Pressure Manny, make him back up and taste leather. Pacquiao can dish it out, but he hasn’t proven that he can take it. As long as Clottey blocks his punches, and takes whatever shots he throws, he can punish Pacquiao and take the fight out of him. Once Pacquiao is cut, he becomes a very vulnerable fighter. Watch how weak Pacquiao looked after he was cut in his first fight with Erik Morales. Pacquiao had the fight taken out of him after he was cut.

Jul 24, 2005
Khan says he’ll be fighting Timothy Bradley this year – News

By William Mackay: On his twitter page, World Boxing Association Amir Khan (22-1, 16 KO’s) says that he’ll be fighting unbeaten WBO light welterweight champion Timothy Bradley (25-0, 11 KO’s) this year in 2010. Khan says “It aint my problem [Juan Manuel] Marquez pulled out, and now we fighting Paulie Malignaggi. Tim Bradley will happen this year. Let me my debut in USA. I aint ducking nobody in this moment of time. Malignaggi is a great fight to enter U.S. Boxing is a business, Guys, and I need to make a living. Come on, Guys, why hate. I’m fighting Paulie Malignaggi, and will KO him. I am willing to make a loss in money in this fight just to shut mouths.”

Presumably, Khan is talking about Malignaggi when he mentions shutting mouths because if Khan thinks that his choice of Malignaggi as an opponent will be shutting the mouths of his critics, he’s probably sadly mistaken. Some boxing fans are happy with Khan’s choice of Malignaggi as an opponent, but it seems like a lot more wish Khan would have fought WBA light welterweight interim champion Marcos Maidana instead.

At least Maidana, with his huge punching power, would have a chance to beat Khan. Malignaggi will likely have zero chance of beating Khan because he has no power to speak of.

The news that Khan will fight Bradley in 2010 is pretty interesting. Bradley is considered by many people to be the best fighter in the light welterweight division. If Khan is serious about fighting Bradley this year, that would be a huge step up from Andriy Kotelnik, Dmitri Salita and Malignaggi. It remains to be seen though whether Khan’s promotional company, Golden Boy Promotions, allows Khan to fight Bradley.

You could certainly say the same thing about Bradley as you do Maidana. He’s not a well known fighter to the casual boxing fans, and might not be worth the trouble that he would bring to the young Khan. It would win Khan a lot of respect if he fights Bradley, but casual boxing fans would probably care less if he does or not because Bradley isn’t a huge star yet. Of course, casual boxing fans in the United States have no idea who Khan either.

And if Khan keeps fighting guys like Salita and Malignaggi, they will likely continue to have no clue Khan is. For Khan to become a big star, he’s going to fight opponents with a big name and he needs to start fighting younger guys with talent instead of old fighters like Marco Antonio Barrera weaker ones like Malignaggi. The bad thing about Khan facing Bradley is that if he does face Bradley then it will mean that Khan won’t be fighting Maidana this year, and probably not in 2011 either.

The reason is Khan will probably get easily beaten and likely knocked out by Bradley. Once that happens, his promotional company won’t want to put him in with a killer puncher like Maidana and risk having Khan get beaten yet again. Khan will likely enter the rebuilding stage of his career once again like he did the time he was knocked out by Breidis Prescott in the 1st round in September 2008.

Jul 24, 2005
Klitschko-Chambers Exclusively Live online at $14.95 USD in USA, Canada & Puerto Rico

WBO, IBF, IBO and The Ring Magazine Heavyweight World Champion Wladimir “Dr. Steelhammer” Klitschko will defend his belts on March 20th against Nr.1 ranked and mandatory challenger “Fast” Eddie Chambers.

The battle will be witnessed by an audience of 50,000 fans in sold out Football Arena of Duesseldorf, Germany.

The bout will be accessible exclusively live on pay-per-view webTV via www.KLITSCHKO.com at a price of $14,95 USD to viewers in the US, Canada & Puerto Rico. Subscriptions will be available via www.KLITSCHKO.com starting March 8th.

The fight will be distributed via a webTV service provided by the Hamburg based and recently founded agency Triumph Media Group in cooperation with KMG (Klitschko Management Group). Frederik Luett, Director of Media Rights at Triumph said: “We are extremely excited about introducing this innovative means of delivery to the world of boxing and an event of such a global scope in particular to some of boxing’s most relevant markets. We are building a direct interface between the boxer i.e. KMG and the fans, which is very valuable and exciting for both of the latter. Maurizio Barbieri, Director of Digital Media at Triumph Media Group is one of the pioneers in this field; therefore we are convinced together with KMG we will give the fans of boxing an unprecedented viewing experience with a high quality video stream, profound statistics, social media applications and a very stylish environment.”

Wladimir Klitschko: “I am excited about the possibilities of web broadcasting. I enjoy working on the computer and I am very interested in new technologies. I like the idea that we are pioneers with this new technology in a very important market. I am sure this technology will be the wave of the future.”

Bernd Boente, Managing Director of KMG: “The US market is technologically far developed and mature for this. We are opening up new grounds in boxing and show that we are open to innovation. Other sport or music events already went that way and had great success.”

Share and Enjoy:

Jul 24, 2005
Super Six: How many shot fighters will the tourney produce?

By William Mackay: After the first stage of Showtime’s Super Six tournament some boxing fans of the opinion that former middleweight champion Jermain Taylor is the first fighter that is technically shot in the tournament. Taylor was knocked out by the hard hitting Arthur Abraham in a 12th round stoppage loss in October. The knockout loss was particularly brutal to the point where Taylor pulled out of the tournament entirely. Taylor has since been replaced by super middleweight contender Allan Green. Taylor, of course, had already suffered bad knockout losses to Kelly Pavlik and Carl Froch even before the Super Six tournament began, so it’s difficult to say whether Taylor lost it completely in the tournament or started slipping before it began.

Below I’ve listed the fighters that I believe could be shot fighters by the end of the tournament.

Mikkel Kessler – Depending on how Mikkel does in his fights against Carl Froch and Allan Green in the stage 2 and stage 3 part of the competition, I can see Kessler ending up at the end of his career with very little options available to him. Kessler was already badly dominated by Andre Ward in their first stage 1 bout, a fight that Kessler lost by an 11 round technical decision. He blames the loss on head butts from Ward, but Kessler never had a chance in the fight. He just wasn’t quick enough for the faster Ward and ended up getting dominated. Kessler had looked bad even before this fight after coming back from a year off from boxing. I think the time off may have aged Kessler. I doubt that Kessler will have anything left by the end of the tourney. He could surprise some people by winning his next two fights against Froch and Green. If so, then I’ll change my mind about him, but as of now he’s going to have to prove that he can do this. I see him as pretty shot.

Carl Froch – Although Froch won his first fight of the stage 1 Super Six against Andre Dirrell, I think Froch lost that fight and looked poor in losing it. Apart from his fouling, Froch was never able to really compete with Dirrell in that fight. He held hit, threw rabbit punches and even body slammed Dirrell. There were very few clean shots thrown by Froch in that fight, and had it not taken place in Nottingham, England, Froch’s hometown, I believe he would have lost the fight by a landslide. I think things might get worse for Froch in his next two fights of the tourney against Kessler and Abraham. Kessler could end up out-boxing Froch and winning a lopsided decision. This time, though, the fight won’t be taking place in Nottingham, so I can see Froch losing the fight by lopsided decision. In Froch’s stage 3 bout, he’ll be facing Abraham. This is a bad match up for Froch because of Abraham’s huge power. Froch tends to go right at his opponents trying to overpower them. He won’t be able to overpower Abraham and I can see Froch being destroyed in the same way Joe Frazier was destroyed by a young George Foreman. If that occurs, then Froch will have lost two out of his last three fights and will be eliminated from the tourney. By then, Froch will be at the end of his rope with little options.

Allan Green – Allan has great physical skills going for him, but he has no real significant wins over top level opposition during his career. I think Super Six is going to be problems for him starting with his fight with Andre Ward in April. I expect Green to be knocked out in that fight and never really competitive with Ward. It will likely be shocking to some how badly Ward dominates Green and makes him look like an older fighter, but this is what I see happening. In Green’s stage 3 bout of the Super Six tournament, he’ll be facing Kessler. I suspect Green will be knocked out once again and end up looking bad.

Fighters that may end up losing the tournament but could still win titles in the future:

Andre Dirrell – if Dirrell ends up being beaten by all three of his opponents in the Super Six tourney, which is a real possibility, he still will have a future ahead of him because of his youth and his blazing hand speed. Dirrell might be better off moving down in weight to middleweight rather than staying at super middleweight. Dirrell is kind of skinny for the division and he might be able to find success at middleweight.

Arthur Abraham – Unlike a lot of people, I don’t see Abraham winning the Super Six tourney. He’s too slow, too stationary and doesn’t throw enough punches. However, even if and when he’s eliminated, he’ll be able to find some success at super middleweight because of his power. I can see him winning one of the titles and holding down for a short period of time. He’ll eventually get beaten by a pure boxer. I think Abraham will have problems against Kessler, Dirrell and Ward

Jul 24, 2005
Amir Khan: Will Golden Boy Promotions make a huge star out of him?

By Sean McDaniel: World Boxing Association light welterweight champion Amir Khan (22-1, 16 KO’s) signed a short term contract recently with Golden Boy Promotions in hopes that the American promotional company could make him a big star in the United States. Khan signed up American trainer Freddie Roach, famous for training huge mega star Manny Pacquiao and developing his talent. Khan comes over from Britain having achieved success by skillfully being positioned against a mix of mostly light punchers.

Last year, Khan captured the WBA light welterweight title after beating champion Andriy Kotelnik by a lopsided 12 round decision. However, a year before that, Khan had been knocked out in the 1st round by Breidis Prescott, the only big puncher that Khan has faced in his five year pro career. Khan didn’t seek out a rematch with Prescott, and instead has fought four consecutive bouts against mostly light punchers.

Now that Khan has the WBA title in his possession, Golden Boy Promotions want to build up his name by positioning him against fighters with somewhat of a name in the U.S. Khan’s first bout will be against the weak puncher Paulie Malignaggi on May 15th. Malignaggi is well known to hardcore boxing fans, but virtually completely unknown among casual boxing fans.

Malignaggi is popular to a certain degree on the East Coast, but I wouldn’t say really popular because he’s had mix success in the past two years, losing two out of his last four fights. Golden Boy have decided to bypass for now a fight between Khan and WBA light welterweight interim champion Marco Maidana, a huge puncher that would be a potential headache for Khan.

The word is that Maidana, not Khan, needs to get better known by U.S. boxing fans before he can face Khan. Ok, I’ll by that. Few boxing fans in the United States have any idea who Maidana, but by the same token, even fewer casual fans know who Khan is. At least Maidana has fought on HBO before. Khan hasn’t. But under the best circumstances, Khan beats Malignaggi by an impressive knockout.

But given that this fight won’t likely be a war, I don’t see Khan becoming a huge star from a win over Malignaggi. It’s going to take more than that to do, a lot more. Khan said recently on his Twitter page that he’ll be facing WBO light welterweight champion Timothy Bradley in 2010. I’d like to see that fight, and if Khan could win it without running all night long like I think he’d do, it would really help make a star out of him.

But I don’t believe that Golden Boy will throw Khan in with Bradley. That would be an almost certain loss for Khan. Bradley is good fighter on many different levels. He does everything good, and he also has experience going for him. My guess is Khan won’t be put in with a fighter like Bradley. If they wanted to take a smaller risk, they might put Khan in with WBC light welterweight champion Devon Alexander, but I doubt that will happen either.

Alexander is probably too dangerous for them to want to risk for a fight against Khan. I’m thinking they might shoot for a fight against Juan Urango next, even if he loses to Alexander next. Urango is terribly slow and a plodder. Khan could probably easily have his way with him. For his third fight in the U.S., I think they might put Khan in with light welterweight contender Victor Cayo, a light puncher but a slick fighter.

If Cayo beats Maidana, it will take care of Khan’s problem of having to face Maidana. He then could fight Cayo without having to worry about being taken out. Cayo is slick, has good hand speed but isn’t the kind of puncher that would worry a fighter like Khan. At the same time, his hand speed isn’t as good as Khan’s.

Jul 24, 2005
Mosley: “I don’t know if he’s [Mayweather] a coward or not”

By Chris Williams: World Boxing Association welterweight champion Shane Mosley (46-5, 39 KO’s) gave his thoughts about his May 1st opponent Floyd Mayweather Jr. in an article at ABS-CBN News, saying “I don’t know if he’s a coward or not but what I know for this fight, he was forced to fight me. Aside from Manny [Pacquiao], this is the only big money for him [Mayweather] out there. If he’s afraid to fight Manny, “I’m not.” For Mosley to fight Pacquiao, he’s going to have to find a way to beat Mayweather on May 1st at the MGM Grand, in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The 38-year-old Mosley isn’t expected to beat Mayweather, despite his brave talk. Mayweather looks to be the better fighter at this point. Mosley hasn’t fought in over a year as he’s wasted time hoping that a big money fight would open up for him. Mosley had settled for a unification bout against WBC welterweight champion Andre Berto, but that fight fell through recently when Berto pulled out due to the loss of some of his extended family in the Haiti earthquake.

Mosley says “Beating him [Floyd Mayweather] will put me to where I want to be placed in my career. That’s why, I’ll beat Floyd, then hopefully Manny will fight me.” If Mosley beats Mayweather, there’s little question that Pacquiao will fight Mosley.

The only question will be whether Mosley will ask for random blood testing like Mayweather did from Pacquiao. If that’s the case, Mosley might have to kiss goodbye any hopes of fighting Pacquiao unless he’s willing to accept a cut off period of 30 days or so for the fight. I doubt Pacquiao and his team will want to agree to blood testing within 30 days, if at all for a fight against Mosley.

Jul 24, 2005
Dirrell talks Froch, Kessler, Taylor, Abraham and Ward

By Scott Gilfoid: Once beaten Andre Dirrel (18-1, 13 KO’s)l is currently rehabilitating his injured back that he hurt while training recently for his March 27th Super Six bout against unbeaten Arthur Abraham (31-0, 25 KO’s). In an interview at East Side Boxing’s On the Ropes show, the talented Dirrell had this to say: “I don’t believe he [Carl Froch] is going to beat [Mikkel] Kessler. He [Froch] has a better chance against [Arthur] Abraham if you ask me, but I don’t think he’s [Froch] going to beat Kessler. He’s [Kessler] a great boxer. I think Kessler is the better man.”

I have to agree with Mr. Dirrell. I think Kessler is going to badly outclass Froch in this one. Froch, with his ramrod straight European style of fighting, is going to have a lot of troubles against Kessler, and I see Froch losing every round of the fight. If Froch had more hand speed, better defense and more tactical skills, I think Froch would still lose. But in this case, I think Kessler is literally going to wipe the deck with Froch on April 24th.

Dirrell, talking about his back injury, says “I sustained a back injury while sparring. I didn’t want to risk the fight [Abraham bout]. That’s why I postponed. I want to show the world what I can do. I’m in shape, working hard. Hopefully, it [the Abraham-Dirrell bout] will be on the 27th. I am hoping that will be the case. I know for certain this fight will go on.”

Speaking about Froch, Dirrell says “Froch doesn’t bother me. The decision still bothers me a little, because I’ll have that loss on my record. Most people feel I won the fight and I do as well. I’m moving forward now.” I totally agree with you, Mr. Dirrell. I think you won’t eight of twelve rounds, with one round even. The fight took place in Froch’s home city of Nottingham.

As for what Dirrell could have done differently in the Froch fight, he says this: “I could have thrown more punches on the inside. I was making sure he [Froch] wouldn’t throw punches on the inside. That was the major mistake I made in that fight.”

Dirrell talks about the Super Six bout coming up between Andre Ward vs. Allan Green, saying “Allan Green has nothing to lose and everything to gain. I believe Ward will come out with the victory. I do see Ward winning by a slight victory.” I think Ward is probably going to win easily. Green has many of the same skills that Dirrell has, but hasn’t proven it as of yet by beating a quality opponent. Green could surprise some people and pull off an upset in this fight, but he’s going to have to be more aggressive than he’s looked in the past if he’s going to make that happen.”

Dirrell says this about Abraham: “He’s an [Abraham] explosive fighter; quick with the hooks when he comes out of his shell…He’s a careful puncher, great defense. He’s easily beatable if I use the ring.”

Speaking about why Jermain Taylor lost to Abraham by a 12th round knockout in October, Dirrell says “He [Taylor] stood right in front of Abraham. He [Taylor] wasn’t supposed to give him the opportunity

Jul 24, 2005
Boxing: A Dead Sport in the USA?

by Joseph Herron - Since the beginning of the modern era of boxing in the late 19th century, the sweet science has endured it’s share of controversies and “black eyes”. It is the opinion of most sports journalists that boxing is currently “dead” in America, and the next great American Heavyweight Champ decided to play linebacker for the Baltimore Ravens rather than hold the most prestigious title in all of sports, according to most American fight scribes. “MMA has captured the imagination of the audience boxing could count on to purchase the big pay per view events every year,“ some have said. Is the die-hard boxing fan the most endangered species in Sports America?

Not according to this boxing die-hard. It is hardly a well known fact that pugilism is alive and well in living rooms across this great nation though.. Without the help of mainstream sports media, boxing has become a very unrecognized sport among most fans and radio personalities of the “Big Three: Football, Baseball, and Basketball.” Why, you ask? Boxing desperately needs what the NFL, NBA, and MLB have: a sanctioning league which schedules games every year and a commissioner who oversees how it is run.

Boxing promoters have been doing a much better job over the last several years making better quality fights and much more fan-friendly match-ups, but this isn’t creating the kind of enthusiasm promoters had hoped. One luxury the boxing fan doesn’t have is the “inevitable big match-up” other sports fans enjoy. Dallas Cowboy fans can always count on two big games against the Philadelphia Eagles every year. San Antonio Spurs fans can always count on cheering for their team against Kobe Bryant and the Lakers several times within the NBA season. Yankee fans can always count on their heated rivalry with the Boston Red-Sox year after year.

Unfortunately, the most endangered species in Sports America can’t count on that inevitable match-up year after year. We are at the mercy of the fighters, the managers, and the promoters. Boxing was on the verge of mainstream publicity when negotiations began between Manny Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum and Floyd Mayweather’s promoter Golden Boy Promotions to make, potentially, the biggest fight of the decade.

A fight of this magnitude has to be made, right? Wrong. The ego of two fighters and two promoters kept this mega fight from being made. Who suffers? The sport of boxing and it’s fans. Most casual observers believe that boxing can’t overcome this latest catastrophe. Are they right? Nope.

Any true fan of the sport will tell you that several reasons to love boxing are the constant fights throughout the entire year. Boxing doesn’t have an off-season like the Big Three. So what if we have to wait a little longer for Mayweather versus Pacquiao? The great sport of boxing doesn’t depend on two fighters. There are so many other exciting fights
already scheduled for 2010.

On March 6th, HBO brings us its Boxing After Dark series with a very entertaining unification bout between IBF title holder Juan Urango and newly crowned American WBC title holder Devon Alexander. This fight should produce fireworks. A classic bullfight with the role of matador played by the young American Devon Alexander facing the strong punching Columbian bull in Juan Urango. This is a very tough test for both fighters who have a lot to prove in the junior welterweight division.

The following week in Dallas, TX, Manny Pacquiao faces a very avoided and underrated fighter in Josh Clottey in the new Cowboy Stadium. This fight is being offered on HBO pay per view on March 13th and should be a very exciting and action filled fight. This is more than just a tune-up fight for the Filippino phenom. He will have to work hard and bring his A-game to get past the rugged counterpunching Ghanaian fighter.

On March 20th, in Germany, Wladimir Klitschko is back in action defending his status as the Kingpin of the Heavyweight division against slick counter puncher, Fast Eddie Chambers. The Philadelphia native is the most proficient young Heavyweight America has to offer and should give Dr. Steel hammer a very tough test.

March 27th marks the beginning of stage two of Showtime’s “Big Six” super middleweight tournament. Undefeated and former middleweight Champion King Arthur Abraham takes on American hopeful Andre Dirrell in a 12 round showcase. King Arthur is coming off of his most impressive performance to date with a stunning knockout victory in the 12th round over former middleweight champ Jermain Taylor. If you haven’t seen the King at work, buckle up. He is one of many “must see” fighters in boxing today.

On the same night, HBO is offering a very exciting fight card featuring the tough WBA junior welterweight title holder Marcos Maidana who defends his belt against undefeated and dangerous Victor Cayo of the Dominican Republic. Maidana has one of the best knockout ratios in boxing stopping 26 of his 28 opponents with vicious KO power. The WBA welterweight champion has a very fan pleasing style and is never in a boring fight. Keep an eye on the tough Argentinean knockout artist.

There are a great number of exciting fights on the horizon which deserve mention, and should make for a great year in boxing. Prize fighting today is filled with a large amount of unrecognized young talent which deserves more attention in the mainstream sports media. Hopefully, sports journalists will start to notice the sweet science once again in 2010 and boxing will return to prominence in America.

May 25, 2009
Clottey confident Pacquiao plays by the rules

As the year began, the attention of the boxing world was on the negotiations between Top Rank and Golden Boy, rival promoters who were attempting to finalize the biggest fight in the sport -- a showdown between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

We all know by now what happened -- how the fight fell apart over a single issue when the sides wouldn't compromise on drug-testing protocol.

Pacquiao and Mayweather went their separate ways after weeks of one of the more rancor-filled negotiations in recent history.

Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38 KOs) quickly came to terms with former welterweight titlist Joshua Clottey (35-3, 20 KOs), who is also promoted by Top Rank, making their deal a snap to finalize. They'll meet for Pacquiao's welterweight title on March 13 (HBO PPV) at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

Mayweather ultimately came to terms to challenge welterweight titleholder Shane Mosley for his belt on May 1 (also HBO PPV) at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

The replacement fights certainly have merit. Both shape up as competitive bouts in which all four fighters have reasonable chances to win, even if Pacquiao and Mayweather are the favorites in their respective bouts.

But even with two strong bouts taking the place of Pacquiao-Mayweather, there is still the feeling that the new bouts are merely a consolation. Even Top Rank's Bob Arum can't escape that feeling, although he tried to put a happy face on it.

"Are they consolation prizes? Maybe," Arum said on a media conference call with Clottey to promote the fight with Pacquiao on Thursday. "[Pacquiao-Mayweather] didn't happen for one reason or another. I am not here to cast blame. But it didn't happen and now we have this fight that could go either way that I believe is Manny's toughest fight."

As for the possibility of putting Pacquiao-Mayweather together in the future if each wins, Arum was unsure.

"Life goes on," he said. "That's what these boys fight for. If Joshua beats Manny and Mosley beats Mayweather, maybe we do a Mosley-Clottey fight. That's what makes boxing interesting. If I did a walkover fight like Pacquiao-[Paulie] Malignaggi, which was talked about, then people would say I'm just keeping Pacquiao busy and there is no danger in him losing the fight.

"But there is danger in him losing the fight. Joshua Clottey is a very dangerous fighter. Similarly, maybe Mosley goes back to the fountain of youth that he had for the [Antonio] Margarito fight [13 months ago]. That Mosley could very well beat Mayweather. That's what makes boxing interesting. If these would be walkover fights nobody would give a damn. You'll see fireworks [in Pacquiao-Clottey] and if there is an upset, that's what boxing is all about."

For his part, Clottey sounded happy to be in the position of having the biggest fight -- and first seven-figure payday -- of his career, especially because he is coming off a split-decision loss last summer to Miguel Cotto, who was later battered by Pacquiao in a 12th-round knockout in November.

"I'm coming to do my best," Clottey, a native of Ghana living in New York, said from his training camp in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. "Like I always said, he is a good fighter. He is the best now. This is the test and I am going for the WBO title. I'm going all out. I have my game plan and I always come to fight.

"I am so happy about this opportunity. He's the man now and he is giving me a chance. If I win, I will be on top of the world."

Unlike Mayweather did in the talks for the fight with Pacquiao, Clottey and manager Vinny Scolpino didn't ask for any special drug testing.

"I don't want to do that because I respect him so much," Clottey said. "He's a very nice guy. I feel comfortable around him. He's a nice, classy guy, he respects everybody."

Mayweather and his father, Floyd Mayweather Sr., accused Pacquiao of using performance-enhancing drugs, even though they had no proof.

Clottey said he didn't think Pacquiao was doing anything against the rules.

"I don't think Manny Pacquiao does that," he said. "But if he does, then he is cheating the sport. I don't think he did that steroid thing. I believe that."

Scolpino said additional drug testing never came up in the negotiations with Arum. Of course, Clottey had zero leverage in the talks to demand more testing even if he wanted it.

"If the [Texas] commission wants to implement other drug-testing rules, let them and we will follow it," Scolpino said. "We abide by the rules set forth. Manny is a super champion and we all hope he is doing the right thing. If they find something in the drug testing, that's the way it is.

"We were going to abide by the rules set forth in the state. We're not getting into extra testing. We're professionals in the sport. Joshua is a professional, Manny is a pro. If the commission says do it, we do it."

Arum, who was against additional testing during the Pacquiao-Mayweather talks, agreed with Scolpino.

"My view is that [drug testing] is not a topic for negotiations," Arum said. "That is something for the commission to decide. Any participant in a boxing match who wants more stringent testing than is applicable in that state can go before the commission and ask for it. It's not for amateurs to make a bunch of demands. That is called chaos. Every fighter has the right to go before the commission and say I want such and such done on the testing and you let the commissioners decide. That is what they are getting paid for."

May 25, 2009
Movie theater boxing is back

Boxing is headed back to movie theaters. Buoyed by the success of the Floyd Mayweather-Juan Manuel Marquez fight being shown in high definition on about 200 big screens nationwide in September, Golden Boy made a new deal with NCM Fathom to go back to theaters for two upcoming fights, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com.

The April 3 Roy Jones-Bernard Hopkins rematch and the May 1 Mayweather-Shane Mosley fight, along with their undercards, will be in select movie theaters, he said.

Jones-Hopkins will be available on between 150 and 200 screens while Mosley-Mayweather will play on more than 400 screens.

"They did a survey about Mayweather-Marquez and it was No. 1 for positive feedback of any event they ever had in their theaters. It was unbelievable," Schaefer said. "It was a huge success. We're doing it again and believe it will be another huge success."

Although Golden Boy will generate revenue from the theater tickets (Mayweather-Mosley theater tickets will cost between $20 and $25 with Jones-Hopkins being priced lower), the real enticement of the deal is the thousands of screens that will advertise the fight before movies begin.

May 25, 2009
HBO, Showtime specials

Although HBO isn't producing a "24/7" series ahead of the March 13 HBO PPV fight between Manny Pacquiao and Joshua Clottey, the network will debut "Road to Dallas: Pacquiao vs. Clottey" on March 6. The 30-minute preview show will take an in-depth look at the fight, which will be the first fight to be held at the $1.2 billion Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas. The special, which features fighter profiles and expert analysis, begins at approximately 11 p.m. ET/PT, immediately following live coverage of the Devon Alexander-Juan Urango junior welterweight unification bout on "Boxing After Dark," with numerous replays leading up to the bout.

On Showtime, the fourth episode of "Fight Camp 360°: Inside The Super Six World Boxing Classic" debuts Saturday night (7:30 ET/PT). The series has delivered compelling behind-the-scenes footage during the buildup and the aftermath of the bouts in the six-man super middleweight tournament.

The new installment features what Showtime is billing as an "an emotional interview with Jermain Taylor as he discusses his withdrawal from the tournament."

Also on tap for the episode is footage of the Super Six promoters candidly discussing Allan Green, Taylor's replacement, and of Arthur Abraham and Andre Dirrell preparing for their March 27 fight, which opens Group Stage 2.

Dan Rafael covers boxing for ESPN.com.

Jul 24, 2005
Erik Morales' Comeback Officially Announced Today

by James Slater - It was a few weeks ago when word first surfaced telling us how all-time great and former three-weight world champion Erik Morales would return to action this year, after having had approx three years out of the ring - yet it was only today, at a press conference in Mexico, that the return of "El Terrible" was made official..

FightNews.com reports how the press conf took place earlier today, and photos from the event show a somewhat slimmed-down (compared to how he looked last year, certainly) Morales posing for photos with his March 27th opponent Jose Alfaro. The fight will take place at 142-pounds (Morales never having previously boxed higher than the lightweight limit, with his August 2007 points loss to then WBC 135-pound king David Diaz being the 33-year-old Mexican warrior's only fight that high) and the promotion is being billed as "Hope of Fire."

Fans, though many would have preferred it if the legendary fighter had been able to make his retirement stick, will now be interested to see how much Morales has left. And 26-year-old Alfaro of Nicaragua, a former WBA lightweight titlist, is no "safe" return foe for Morales by any means. Not only is "Quiebra Jicara" the younger man, he is also the natural 135-pounder as well as being a solid puncher. But, knowing Morales, doing things the easy way is just not the Mexican's style! But will the comeback end as quickly as it starts?

After all the wars - truly unforgettable wars - he's been involved in in compiling his amazing 48-6(34) pro career, Morales can't have too much left, surely! Alfaro certainly believes his upcoming rival has seen better days and is ready to be beaten. Hopefully, we won't wind up seeing a sad sight on March 27th. But what will happen if Morales wins? How many further fights does "El Terrible" plan to have?

Certainly, a vast number of questions will be answered come fight night. For what it's worth, though it's hard to make any accurate prediction seeing as how we simply DON'T know what Morales has left in the tank, I have a feeling the younger, perhaps stronger man, will get the win. Could we even see the once great warrior from Tijuana KO'd for what would be only the third time in his 17 year career?

Alfaro, 23-5(20) may be coming in off an October 10th-round TKO loss at the hands of Antonio DeMarco, but it could be he who walks away with a stoppage win in this fight