Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
D-Rod, Ouballi Impressive On The Deuce

Delvin Rodriguez continues to keep afloat in the loaded welterweight division, taking a hard-earned unanimous decision over previously unbeaten Troy Browning in the ESPN2 Friday Night Fights main event in Uncasville, Connecicut.

Rodriguez was regarded as one of the hotter prospects in the sport prior to his collapse against Jesse Feliciano last March on ESPN2. His road to recovery began with a blitzing of Keenan Collins last summer, and continued tonight as Rodriguez was the busier and more aggressive fighter throughout the ten round affair.

Browning, who at one point was out of the game for eight years after suffering a near-fatal injury during his day job, began to look every bit of his 41 years of age as he was unable to keep up with his foe, 14 years his junior. Rodriguez boxed smartly behind a table-setting jab, landing right hands behind it and also making subtle moves to be just far enough out of Browning’s punching range the moment he thought about countering.

The 5th round offered a glimmer of hope for Browning, who for the first time in the fight was able to sneak in clean left hands with semi-regularity. But by rounds end, it was Rodriguez back in control, and still landing the more telling blows. Browning tried to shake it off at the start of the 6th, going to Rodriguez’ body early in the round. The tactic did little to slow down Rodriguez, who kept his jab in Browning’s face.

Each of the last four rounds was a virtual clone of its predecessor. Browning attempted to get in close, taking the body when Rodriguez refused to make his chin available, while Rodriguez stuck with the jab and right hand that had been money all night against the southpaw.

Scores were 100-90 (2x) and 99-91 for Rodriguez, who wins his second straight since the big upset loss to Jesse Feliciano last year. The Connecticut-based Dominican improves to 22-2-1 (13KO) overall.

For Browning, the clock finally strikes midnight, as the 41-year old suffers the first loss of his career. He falls to 20-1-1 (8KO), though despite his advanced age, appears to have plenty of fight left in him.

There’s plenty of fight and then some in the career of junior welterweight prospect Ali Ouballi, who overcame a flash knockdown to overwhelm British product Ashley Theophane en route to a unanimous decision in the televised co-feature.

Both fighters were taking huge steps up in class, but it was Ouballi who seemed at home in the early rounds. Theophane spent the first few rounds circling around the ring, while Ouballi sought the most effective way of cutting off the ring.

A brief attempt by the Brit to settle down in round two resulted in a big right hand for his efforts as Ouballi was finally well within his desired punching range. Back on his bike Theophane went for the remainder of the second and much of the third, only coming up for air long enough to clinch anytime Ouballi thought about pressing the action.

Theophane settled down long enough to make a fight of it beginning in the fourth round, where he was successful with his overhand right on several occasions. A steady jab paved the way for openings to the head and body of Ouballi throughout the fifth, though it was Theophane’s lead rights still doing the most damage.

Ouballi regained control in the sixth, even though he ultimately lost the round after suffering a flash knockdown about a minute in. Ouballi was complaining of Theophane hooking his arm behind his head when he got with a left hook while off balance, briefly touching the canvas as a result. Ouballi protested the call, but to no avail. He instead settled for dominating the rest of the round, getting his body attack going for the first time in the fight.

The seventh round became the point of no return. Ouballi went on the attack early. The Morrocan hurt Theophane with right hands and a thorough body attack, pulverizing his foe for much of the round. Theophane was still able to drop an occasional right hand on Ouballi’s chin, but not enough to keep the heat up off of him, as Ouballi landed a big left hook to set up another punishing barrage in the final minute of his most dominant round of the fight.

Believing he had his foe on the verge, Ouballi went to work early in the eighth. A right hand sent Theophane’s mouthpiece flying, landing in the lap of ESPN2 lead commentator Joe Tessitore. A brief timeout was called to replace the mouthpiece, though Theophane spent much of the sequence begging his corner and the ringside physician to let the fight continue. He might’ve been better off letting it end, as all he did was take more punishment as the round and fight wore on.

Ouballi slowed things down in the ninth, perhaps saving himself for a strong finish. Theophane enjoyed some moments of success in the round, not enough to change the course of the bout, but perhaps just enough to win the round. Ouballi made sure that wouldn’t happen again, going back to work in the 10th and final round, though to his credit, Theophane stood his ground, refusing to lay down and just hand the fight over to Ouballi, though his late efforts proved futile in the end.

Scores were 96-93 (2x) and 97-92, all for Ali Ouballi, who improves to 21-3 (17KO). Theophane falls to 20-3-1 with the loss.

Feb 7, 2006
Juanito Rubillar's Deal with Solis irks Sulaiman

Although World Boxing Council president Don Jose Sulaiman has thanked Bebot Elorde Jr. for informing him of the decision to accept an offer for Orient Pacific Boxing Federation light flyweight champion Juanito Rubillar to fight International Boxing Federation champion Ulises Solis, rather than clash with former WBC champion Omar Nino in a WBC eliminator, his son Mauricio Sulaiman is clearly upset.

The WBC secretary-general reacted strongly to the explanation of international matchmaker Samson Lewkowicz, who arranged the IBF title fight and implied that Omar Nino and his promoter Gary Shaw were to blame for the eliminator not pushing through.

Lewkowicz said he had told Elorde during a long conversation that he could not allow Rubillar, ranked no. 2 by the WBC, to miss the opportunity to fight for the IBF title after a “long career and the many great battles” he had fought aside from the lack of options in securing the eliminator.

Lewkowicz claimed he was looking after the best interests of the boxer, which is what his Philippine representative Sammy Gello-ani said during the contract signing at the Games and Amusements Board office on Wednesday.

Sulaiman informed Viva Sports/Standard Today that he couldn’t understand what Lewkowicz was trying to say in an e-mail he sent the WBC explaining his decision.

“It is a pity that time after time you make certain that your fighters get fights for other organizations. That is your decision and prerogative,” Mauricio Sulaiman told Lewkowicz.
The WBC secretary-general said the organization will proceed with the next step as Rubillar has “decided to go in a different way,” even as he pointed out that the Filipino southpaw had fought and lost twice for the world title and “we understand it is better to look elsewhere.”

In an e-mail to Don Jose, Elorde thanked the WBC president for “the kindest support you have given us and our boxers.” Elorde said that they accepted the IBF world title offer because Rubillar “is 31 years old now so we have decided to go for it. We are hoping you will understand our move.”

In response, the WBC president stressed “we had only tried to help you and Juanito but if the help comes from somewhere else, it is okay for the WBC.”

Feb 7, 2006
Mayweather To Participate in NBA Celeb Game

Boxing's king of the ring Floyd Mayweather will participate in tonight's NBA All-Star Celebrity Basketball game (EPSN Live, HD at 7:00pm), as part of his participation in this weekend's NBA All-Star Game activities in New Orleans. Mayweather, who is taking a much-needed break from his boxing career, is having the time of his life and enjoying himself as he literally drives himself across the country in his own whistle-stop tour that has already included stops in Arizona, Texas, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, New York, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi, and Louisiana. "This is the first real break I have taken in my entire career," said the pound-for-pound champion. "It feels great to stop, make appearances, talk to kids and at the same time enjoy my time off. If you think I was good before, wait until I come back from this."

Feb 7, 2006
Abraham vs. Ayala On March 29th

Undefeated International Boxing Federation middleweight champion Arthur Abraham (25-0, 20 KOs) against challenger Elvin Ayala (18-2-1, 8 KOs) on March 29th at the Kiel, Schleswig-Holstein, in Germany. In selecting Ayala, ranked #15th in the IBF, as his next opponent, it appears that Abraham is continuing with his tradition of fighting lesser quality opposition at the expense of more talented fighters. Incredibly, this will be the 27 year-old Abraham’s seventh title defense of his IBF title since winning it in December 2005 with a 5th round TKO of Kingsley Ikeke.

Since then, however, Abraham has worked it out so that he’s only faced one fighter that I consider a quality opponent - Edison Miranda - whom Abraham beat by a very controversial 12-round unanimous decision in September 2006. Miranda, who badly punished Abraham, breaking his jaw in two places, was penalized an incredible five points for low blows and a headbutt. The low blows were shown to be on the belt line of Abraham’s trunks. Since that time, Miranda hasn’t been given a rematch, which would seem like a logical thing considering the controversy of the fight.

Aside from that, Abraham has taken on fighters like Sebastien Demers, Khoren Gevor and most recently with Wayne Elcock. Of the bunch, I only consider Elcock as a worthy challenger for Abraham, and he gave him what turned out to be a much tougher than expected fight until ultimately being stopped in the 5th round of the fight. However, as good as Elcock was in the fight, he wasn’t ranked high enough for him to even be in the same ring as Abraham in my view. And that’s the whole problem with Abraham; Instead of facing tough fighters like Winky Wright, Fulgencio Zuniga or Andy Lee, we see fighters against Shannon Taylor, Demers, Elcock and Gevor.

With that kind of opposition being force fed to Abraham, it’s no wonder that he’s held onto the title this long, because none of them are what I consider to be top 10 fighters. However, there is a bit of bright lining to this poor story, in that Abraham is being considered by WBC/WBO middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik for a potential unification bout in the Fall. If that comes to pass, then we’d finally get to see Abraham in against a top opponent. It would be high time for it, because it would only be the second good fight from him in two years. I don’t, however, see Abraham winning the fight, as he isn’t in the same class as Pavlik, and would most definitely get knocked out in the first few rounds of the fight.

As for Ayala, he’s mostly known for having fought former television star from The Contender reality TV program Sergio Mora to a 10-round draw on October 16th. It was a good win for Ayala, 27, showing that he can fight evenly with fringe contenders like Mora, but it’s not what I consider a world class opponent for Abraham. Abraham will likely have little problems beating Ayala, but he’ll have to work to earn the decision, because Ayala will be working hard trying to upset Abraham.

I’m not precisely sure why, but both Abraham and the WBA middleweight champion Felix Sturm, seem to get by without having to face really tough opponents. I can’t see how or why they do it, because it seems as if they’re both stunting their careers by facing mostly limited opposition in Germany. Of course, they’re paid well to fight mediocre opponents, but they’d obviously get paid much better if they were to consistently take on the very top of the division instead of the easy fights each time out.

Feb 7, 2006
Sturm vs. Pittman On April 5th

In a move that surprises few, World Boxing Association middleweight champion Felix Sturm (28-2-1, 12 KOs) will be defending his WBA title against unbeaten Australian Jamie Pittman (16-0, 7 KOs) on April 5th at the Burg-Waechter Castello, in Dusseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany. Pittman, ranked an incredible #14 by the World Boxing Association middleweight division, despite the fact that Pittman hasn’t beaten any named fighters on his record. The move for Sturm, 29, to take on a fighter this far down in the pack isn’t surprising to most Sturm detractors, who point frequently his tendency to avoid big-named fighters or, in other words, opponents that could potentially beat him.

However, in fairness to Sturm, the WBA division isn’t exactly loaded with talent at this time. As of now, the top #5 are listed in the following order: 1. Randy Griffin, 2. Javier Castillejo, 3. Jermain Taylor, 4. Sebastian Sylvester, 5. Raul Marquez. As you can see, only Taylor can considered a true top fighter of the list, at least as far I’m concerned. As you go below the top #5, the fighters can far less impressive, although the young prospect Joe Greene appears to almost a can’t miss future champion.

With this kind of ranking, Sturm can pretty much fight beatable fighters for the foreseeable future, or until either Taylor or Green move up a couple of notches. Taylor, for his part, hasn’t needed to fight Sturm, in that Taylor was a previous middleweight champion of his own right, and now is focused on trying to regain the title with a rematch with Sturm this Saturday. However, if Taylor fails against Pavlik, he may suddenly start showing interest in fighting Sturm, so that Taylor could have another shot at winning a title.

Sturm already was previously stopped in the 10th round by Spaniard Castillejo in July 2006, though Sturm was later able to regain the title in a close 12-round unanimous decision rematch fought last year in April 2007. However, Sturm’s defeat to Castillejo was made to look worse due to Castillejo’s advanced age of 37 (he’s now 39). Sturm was far from impressive in either bout, as he showed that he didn’t have much of an idea of what to do when Castillejo pressured him and worked on the inside.

It was as if Sturm had no clue on how to fight and inside fighter, as he merely covered up and took shots. And while Sturm did look slightly better in the rematch, he wasn’t that much improved, in that he took a lot of repeated punishment in the bout. I had the fight scored a draw, but I wasn’t surprised that Sturm got the decision, considering that the fight was in Germany (where Sturm lives and fights out of).

In his next bout, Sturm defended against his number#1 challenger, American Randy Griffiin, another fight which took place in Germany. I had Griffin winning the bout 9 rounds to 3, and I was stunned when the judges ruled it a draw. Even in scoring it 9-3, I was being overly generous in giving one of the rounds to Sturm, who was out-punched in every round of the fight. Whereas Griffin was landing combinations, all Sturm could mount up in terms of offensive firepower was his jab. I admit that Sturm’s jab was good, but he was taking non-stop combinations to the head during every round.

Griffin, an extremely busy fighter, never let up on Sturm as he poured in punches at a constant rate from the opening bell until the end of the 12th round. It’s got to be one of the worst decisions of all time, yet it doesn’t surprise me one bit. When, and if there’s a rematch, I see Griffin easily beating Sturm, as long as the fight is held in a neutral country.

As for Sturm’s next opponent, Pittman, he has little chance of winning against Sturm. I really don’t see Pittman as a top ranked fighter, given the soft competition that he’s built up his record on during his short career. While he may surprise me a little, I highly doubt it. This is going to be an easy fight for Sturm, who will be able to jab Pittman from the outside and win without too much trouble. Once Pittman’s out of the way, I suppose we’ll see Sturm taking on Griffin in a rematch.

Jul 24, 2005
Results from Germany: Valuev Dominates Liakhovich

WBA heavyweight eliminator:*

Nikolai Valuev W 12 Sergey Liakhovich
(120-108, 120-108, 120-107)

Alexander Frenkel TKO 5 Arthur Williams

Karo Murat TKO 10 Sergey Kharchenko

Kali Meehan TKO 3 Jeremy Bates

Alexander Abraham W 8 Choukri Yentour

Francesco Pianeta KO 3 Donnell Wiggins

Feb 7, 2006
Dundee: A Famed Boxing Trainer With A Trove Of Memories

CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP) -- Instead of training Muhammad Ali, Angelo Dundee instructs a teenager with padded headgear and gloves too big for his hands. Instead of holding court in a steamy gym, Dundee wears a black shirt and slacks and stalks a bookstore's sun-splashed patio.

Eight fighters spar in an invisible ring surrounded by imaginary ropes, while audience members clink forks on plates stacked with goat-cheese-and-pear salads, sip chardonnay and clap politely.

Never far from his love, the 86-year-old Dundee's latest endeavor is promoting his autobiography, "My View From the Corner: A Life in Boxing." The book, written with Bert Sugar, includes a foreword by Ali.

"I saw you blow your nose -- shouldn't do that, kid," Dundee says. He's portly and bald, and still speaks with a Philly accent.

He later explains, "When you blow your nose and you take a punch, your tissues are loose, and that makes your eyes close. If you have to spit, take it up. It's ugly, but you won't get a black eye."

Dundee's surroundings have changed since he trained Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard, Carmen Basilio, Willie Pastrano, George Foreman and other greats.

"I'm getting a good response 'cause everybody says, 'Ang, it sounds like you,"' said Dundee, trainer of 15 world champions. "I had fun doing it because it went from 1948 to now. The whole ball of wax."

A promotional tour will visit New York and Las Vegas.

Dundee, who worked the New York and Miami boxing scenes with his promoter brother Chris Dundee, has moved to the Tampa area, seeking to be closer to his two children after his wife of more than 50 years, Helen, fell ill last year. Her health has since improved.

"She almost died on me -- for months it was kind of quiet," Dundee said. "My kids live where I'm at now. I also got a place where my wife and I are going to be buried. Not in the ground -- a mausoleum, 'cause we want to look at people."

Energetic, quick-witted and gracious, Dundee draws people to him with his boxing knowledge. His personality keeps them close.

"Oh marone!" he says, using an Italian slang term used to indicate surprise or frustration when he sees an acquaintance during an appearance at Books and Books in affluent Coral Gables.

"This guy used to be a former fighter," he says, pointing at another man.

"God love you, thank you," he says, after signing a book for a fan.

Dundee grew up as a street-wise kid with four brothers and two sisters in a South Philly home that embraced Italian culture.

The book tells how his name went from Angelo Mirena to Angelo Dundee. His brother Joe wanted to keep his boxing career a secret from his parents, so he adopted the name of an old fighter named Johnny Dundee. Chris and Angelo followed their older brother's lead.

After returning from World War II ("We won, but not because of anything I did"), he joined Chris in the boxing game in New York, serving as his "go-fer" and getting the tag "Chris' kid brother."

That move launched Angelo Dundee's boxing career, which included a stop at the famed Stillman's Gym in New York and Miami's 5th Street Gym.

He learned to tape hands and handle cuts as a corner man, building his knowledge by watching and learning. In the early 1950s he worked on his brother's promotional cards as a "trainer-in-training" and hooked up with two New Orleans fighters, Pastrano and Ralph Dupas.

Dundee first met Ali, then known as Cassius Clay, in Louisville. The young fighter asked if he could have five minutes with Dundee and Pastrano, who were in town for a fight. Clay, a local Golden Gloves champion, kept asking the men boxing questions in a conversation that lasted 3 1/2 hours in a hotel room, according to the book.

After Clay returned from Rome after the winning the 1960 Olympics, Dundee ran into him in Louisville and invited him to come to Miami Beach and work with him. Ali declined.

But in December 1960, Dundee got a call from one of Clay's handlers, seeking to hire Dundee. After Clay won his first pro fight, Dundee accepted.

Many of the book's best stories center on the charismatic and loquacious Ali, including his bouts with Joe Frazier and the October 1974 fight with George Foreman known as the "The Rumble in the Jungle" that was set in Zaire. Other tales include Pastrano's womanizing ways and the apparent behind-the-scenes involvement of gangster-types in New York boxing.

Dundee still visits gymnasiums to look at fighters and give some recommendations, and he closely follows a sport that may have lost some luster recently in the face of competition from mixed martial arts.

"I've got to keep up with the youngsters. I have a barometer on how good these guys are," Dundee said. "And you've got this MMA, which is very popular. It's not in competition with boxing.

"Boxing's boxing and they got their own shtick. All we need is another Muhammad."

Feb 7, 2006
Ex-Stripper Insists Racy De La Hoya Pictures Are Real

NEW YORK (AP) -- A former stripper who says she photographed boxer Oscar De La Hoya in racy women's undergarments showed up at court to confront the former champion, only to learn he wasn't there.

Milana Dravnel filed the lawsuit last year, contending De la Hoya defamed her character and caused her emotional distress by claiming the photos were phony.

"I've been hurt by what Oscar said," she said. "This was my only option."

Photos of De La Hoya in a fishnet bodysuit and a woman's wig appeared on the front page of the New York Post on Saturday.

The boxer's lawyer, Judd Burstein, said the pretrial hearing in U.S. District Court on Friday was procedural and there was no need for his client to be there. He added that Dravnel was simply trying to drum up publicity.

Dravnel's lawyer, Salvatore Strazzullo, said outside the Manhattan courthouse he looked forward to when his client would not have to face cameras. Asked why he then put out a news release that attracted cameras, he said: "No comment."

De La Hoya won titles in five weight classes and is 38-5 in a pro career that began after he won a gold medal at the 1992 Olympics. The 35-year-old boxer is the biggest nonheavyweight draw of his generation.

Oct 26, 2006
www.greenrm420records.com
By Mark Vester

According to the Manchester Evening News, Juan Lazcano (37-4, 27KOs) is likely to become the comeback opponent for Ricky Hatton at the City of Manchester Stadium on May 24. Lazcano has only lost twice since 98. He's coming off a close decision loss to Vivian Harris, which took place over a year ago, and he lost by decision to Jose Luis Castillo in 2004.

Lazcano was lined up for Hatton two-years ago, but a hand injury forced him out of the fight and Hatton instead took a chance by fighting then WBA welterweight champion Luis Collazo. Talks are said to be ongoing for a Hatton-Lazcano meeting. As reported yesterday, Wembley Stadium made a serious bid to stage Hatton' next fight. Reports indicate that Wembley was unsuccessful with their offer.

The paper says that no formal announcement will be made about Lazcano until negotiations are complete with the venue, and agreements are reached with US and British television networks.

If this goes down I see ricky taking another loss
my primo daniel lujan gave lazcano his first loss.and chop chop mccorley also.damn only ifhe trained........lazcano still doingit.i think he willbeat hatton.

Oct 26, 2006
www.greenrm420records.com
boxer: Daniel Lujan
Global ID 19903
sex male
birth date 1972-06-24
division light welterweight
nationality United States
residence Salinas, California, United States
height 5′ 9″
reach 27“
US ID CA017143
won 14 (KO 5) + lost 7 (KO 4) + drawn 2 = 23
biography

Lb opponent Lb W - L - D last 6 location
1999-03-20 141 DeMarcus Corley 141 17-0-1
Chumash Casino Resort, Santa Ynez, California, United States W SD 10 10
1999-01-22 140 Moses James 140 15-1-1
Spotlight 29 Casino, Coachella, California, United States L MD 12 12
UBF Light Welterweight Title

1998-08-22 136 Ahmed Santos 139 22-2-3
Casino Magic, Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, United States L UD 10 10
~ 91-97 | 90-98 | 89-99 ~

1998-04-09 138 Gustavo Tapia 138 6-5-3
Monterey, California, United States W PTS 8 8
1998-01-10 138 James Crayton 134 25-8-0
Studio City, California, United States L TKO 4 10
Ringside doctor stops the fight after the 4th round due to Lujan's cut right eyelid.

1997-10-18 137 Carlos Marquez 137 6-8-2
Tropicana Hotel & Casino, Las Vegas, Nevada, United States W TKO 4 6
~ time: 1:51 ~

1997-02-20 135 Juan Lazcano 135 12-1-1
Country Club, Reseda, California, United States L KO 4 12
~ vacant WBF lightweight title ~

1996-12-19 135 Juan Lazcano 135 12-1-0
Country Club, Reseda, California, United States D PTS 12 12
~ vacant WBF lightweight title ~

1996-09-28 136 Ahru Dyer 138 3-2-1
Salinas, California, United States W KO 6 0
1996-07-15 136 Paul Mayorquin 136 9-1-1
Laughlin, Nevada, United States L PTS 8 8
1996-06-01 136 Anthony Ridges 136 9-2-2
Boulder Station Hotel, Las Vegas, Nevada, United States W UD 6 6
1996-02-21 137 Juan Carlos Rubio 138 12-2-2
Woodland Hills, California, United States W PTS 6 6
1995-11-18 135 Paris Alexander 134 18-9-3
Monterey, California, United States L KO 2 0
1995-08-26 139 Frank Avelar 140 16-6-0
The Aladdin, Las Vegas, Nevada, United States D TD 3 0
1995-08-09 136 Jose de Jesus Herrera 133¼ 0-8-0
Woodland Hills, California, United States W PTS 5 5
1995-06-10 135 Gordon Williams 3-3-1
Santa Cruz, California, United States W UD 6 6
1995-04-10 132 Jose Ferrer 4-6-1
Great Western Forum, Inglewood, California, United States W PTS 6 6
1995-01-18 140 Orlando Hollis 141¾ 2-0-0
Woodland Hills, California, United States L KO 5 0
1994-11-12 138 Jesse Martinez 1-7-1
Santa Cruz, California, United States W TKO 4 0
1994-07-16 137 Mike Dallas 138 7-4-1
San Mateo, California, United States W KO 3 0
1994-04-29 138 Mark Reels 8-2-0
Santa Cruz, California, United States W PTS 4 4
1994-02-08 136 Charles Goossen 138 4-0-0
Country Club, Reseda, California, United States W PTS 4 4
1993-10-22 139 Estrualdo Ochoa 0-0-0
Santa Clara, California, United States W KO 1 0

verified unverified unsanctioned

Jul 24, 2005
Hearns Blows Past Astorga

By Jake Donovan

Ronald Hearns extended remained unbeaten an 8th round stoppage over Juan Astorga in the televised pay-per-view opener.

Hearns dominated every second of the fight, scoring two knockdowns along the way. Straight right hands provide both knockdowns, one late in the fifth, the second knockdown coming a minute into the 8th and final round. Astorga beat the count on both occasions, but was on rubber legs following the second knockdown. Referee Jay Nady didn’t like the look in Astorga’s eyes, immediately waving off the bout.

Official time was 1:10 of the 8th round.

Hearns improves to 17-0 (13KO), but is in desperate need of a step up in class – and possibly in weight, as it remains to be seen how long his 6’3” frame can handle shrinking down to the junior middleweight limit.

Astorga falls to a very soft 12-2-1 (7KO), with all of his wins coming against garden variety Midwestern opposition.

It time for lil hearns to step against som soild fighters

Jul 24, 2005
Pavlik Repeats, Outpoints Taylor in Las Vegas

By Jake Donovan

It lacked the to-hell-and-back thrill ride that came with their unforgettable war last September, but undefeated middleweight champ Kelly Pavlik and former king Jermain Taylor once again entertained in their pay-per-view rematch Saturday night in Las Vegas, Nevada.

In the end, it was Pavlik who prevailed by unanimous decision in their catchweight bout, fought at the contracted weight of 166 lb.

It was a magical 2007 for Pavlik, who scored three straight highlight reel knockouts, including the come-from-behind, off-the-canvas, 7th round knockout to violently snatch the middleweight crown and Jermain Taylor’s undefeated record last September in Atlantic City. Saturday night’s rematch was fought on a different gambling strip, with the two squaring off in the main event of an HBO PPV aired live from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, NV.

Due to the terms of the rematch clause from their first fight, Pavlik’s linear middleweight crown was not at stake as the bout was fought at the aforementioned catchweight. That didn’t prevent the evening from having a championship feel, as Pavlik fought to preserve his undefeated record, while Taylor fought with revenge on the mind.

Taylor, 164, Little Rock, Ark., began the fight working behind a thudding jab, slipping an early right hand from Pavlik, 164, Youngstown, Ohio, clearly the crowd favorite. Pavlik responded with a jab of his own, forcing Taylor to wing a wild left hook while knocked off balance. A body shot by Pavlik paved the way for a left hook and right hand upstairs. A follow-up straight right drove Taylor backward, as Pavlik went on the attack. Sensing his man wasn’t ready to fall, Pavlik wisely remained patient while continuing to land.

There was much more give and take in the second round. Taylor was successful early with a heavy 1-2, which landed repeatedly. Pavlik came on strong toward rounds end, though Taylor refused to go away quietly, offering a response for nearly everything Pavlik had to offer. Pavlik changed that up in the third, starting out strong with his jab. Taylor struggled to regain his rhythm before finding a home for his right hand as the round wore on.

Things slowed down – by their standards, anyway – in the fourth round, with both fighters looking to establish their jab to set up their right hand shots. Pavlik was the far busier fighter, Taylor the more economical. Pavlik picked up the pace and regained momentum in the fifth round, drawing blood from Taylor’s nose with a straight hand, which was also the dominant weapon in the sixth round.

Taylor had his moments in the seventh, including a body shot flurry towards round’s end. But it was Pavlik who was once again controlling the tempo, throwing twice as many punches as Taylor for the second straight round. Round eight started out appearing to be more of the same before Taylor was able to land a double left hook 45 seconds in. Pavlik remained the busier fighter, but Taylor was able to tighten up his defense and land the cleaner blows. The round ended with both fighters exchanging right hand shots.

In between rounds, trainer Ozell Nelson, who assumed head training duties in Taylor’s camp following the departure of Emaneul Steward last fall, urged Taylor to pick up the pace in the ninth. In the opposite corner, Pavlik was ordered by career-long trainer JacK Loew and cutman Miguel Diaz to stop touching gloves, and keep pressuring Taylor.

None of that panned out in the ninth. Taylor remained economical with his punches, dropping right hands on Taylor’s chin, but not staying busy enough to inflict ensuing damage. Pavlik kept pressing forward, but worked largely behind the jab, unable to land his right hand as Taylor regularly picked off Kelly’s money punch.

Round ten marked uncharted territory for Pavlik, with none of his previous 32 victims lasting past the ninth. Taylor was no stranger to double-digit rounds, with six of his previous seven bouts prior to Pavlik having lasted the 12-round distance. It showed in the tenth, with Pavlik taking a rare breather while Taylor was able to land the cleaner shots and remain active enough to clearly take the round.

Pavlik attempted to regain his groove in the championship rounds, outworking Taylor, who was forced to clinch more so than at any other point in the fight. A right hand late in the eleventh round sent Taylor to the ropes, with Pavlik able to sneak in a right hand body shot that forced Taylor to hold on while attempting to get some spring back in his legs. Taylor slowly strolled to his corner at rounds end, his right eye grotesquely swollen while catching an earful from his corner to stay off the ropes and close strong.

The final round was fought like the preceding eleven – at close quarters. The two traded right hands early, before action slowed in the middle of the round. Pavlik went on the hunt in the final minute of the round, working behind his jab and getting out of harm’s way anytime Taylor loaded up with counters. The fight ended with the two sneaking in body shots while clinched at center ring.

The judges were unanimous in their decision, though each judge one round closer than the other. Scores were 115-113, 116-112 and 117-111, all for Pavlik, who improves to 33-0 (29KO) with the win. The decision win snaps a nine-fight knockout streak, though Pavlik remains undefeated and looks forward to the first defense of his middleweight crown. That fight is rumored to come in June against John Duddy, though Pavlik left the door open for the best available contender.

"I fought the (Edison) Miranda’s, I fought (Jose Luis) Zertuche, and I now fought Taylor back to back. You guys know I’ll fight anybody.”

Pavlik admitted afterward that nothing could top the thrill that came with the come-from-behind knockout to win the middleweight crown in their first fight, but was still pleased with his performance all the same.

“Nothing is as satisfying as the first win, but to beat a guy like Jermain Taylor again, considering everyone he beat, is great.”

Taylor was respectful in his post-fight assessment, though visibly upset at the final outcome.

“I thought it was a close fight, I thought I won,” insisted a dejected Taylor (27-2-1, 17KO), who drops his second straight. I won the early rounds, he made it close toward the end but I thought I did enough to win. He’s a strong fighter; I give him all of the glory.”

Televised Undercard

Fernando Montiel saved the best performance of his career for the biggest stage, blitzing through Martin Castillo before knocking out the former junior bantamweight titlist in the 4th round of a scheduled twelve between a pair of 1996 Olympians.

The bout was all Montiel (36-2-1, 27KO), who unloaded with power shots the very moment he knew he could hurt his foe. Montiel dropped Castillo with a compact left hook midway through the opening round, and Castillo (33-3, 17KO) never really got back into the fight.

After dominating rounds two and three, Montiel closed the show with a vengeance in the fourth, hurting Castillo with an assortment of power shots along the ropes before ending his night with a left hook to the body. Castillo winced in pain as referee Joe Cortez counted him out, 1:56 into round four.

The win made for a remarkable debate as to who is now considered the world’s best junior bantamweight. Cristian Mijares plead his case with a decision win over Jose Navarro in a spirited twelve-round battle nearly marred by controversy at the end.

Navarro (26-4, 12KO) wound up throwing over 300 more punches, but it was Mijares (34-3-2, 14 KO) landing the cleaner shots and with far greater accuracy throughout. In addition to Mijares superior skill set, Navarro was forced to contend with a broken nose, suffered in round two, and a nasty cut along his right eye, caused by a Mijares 1-2 in the 10th round.

Navarro never wilted, putting up a brave stand in the middle rounds and forcing Mijares to fight to the bitter end, but was never able to pull ahead. At least not on two of the three judges’ scorecards. Judge Doug Tucker apparently saw a different fight than everyone else, as he had Navarro pitching a shutout (120-108). His absurd scorecard was overruled by Adalaide Byrd and Chris Wilson, scoring it 117-111 and 115-113, respectively, for Mijares, who defends his WBC junior bantamweight title for the sixth time.

Mijares-Montiel, anyone? The winner would undoubtedly gain universal recognition as the world’s best junior bantamweight.

The televised portion of the show opened with Ronald Hearns, son of the legendary Tommy “The Hitman” Hearns, blitzing through hopelessly overmatched Midwestern clubfighter Juan Astorga (12-2-1, 7KO) en route to an eight round knockout. Hearns (18-0, 14KO) scored knockdowns in the 5th and 8th, the latter which prompted referee Jay Nady to wave off the bout after administering a nine-count and a thorough examining of Astorga’s faculties.

Official time was 1:10 of the 8th and final round of their junior middleweight bout.

The show was presented by Top Rank Inc. and DiBella Entertainment.

Jake Donovan is a member of the Boxing Writers Association of America and the Tennessee Boxing Advisory Board. His feature column runs every Tuesday, and his Prospect of the Week series runs every Thursday. Jake is also BoxingScene's official Telefutura correspondent.
Please feel free to submit any comments or questions to Jake at [email protected]

Jul 24, 2005
Valuev Dominates, Eyes Chagaev Rematch

By Jake Donovan

The heavyweight division isn’t done with Nicolay Valuev just yet.

In a battle of former heavyweight titlists, 7’0” Nicolay Valuev was the busier and far more accurate fighter in scoring a lopsided decision over Sergei Liakhovich in Nurnberg, Germany.

Liakhovich, fighting for the first time since his literal last-second knockout loss to Shannon Briggs in November 2006, began the fight working behind a solid jab. That’s where the good news ended for the transplanted Belarusian, who fell behind early and never caught up.

Valuev was able to get his own jab going, which he’d follow with either a straight right or an uppercut. The momentum carried over in the second round, which Valuev dominated, particularly late in the round with a series of right hands. The action continued after the bell for the second straight round, with Valuev drawing a warning from Stanley Christodoulou.

Action slowed in the third and fourth rounds, but was still largely dominated by the Russian giant, who had his formula down to a science by now – jab, jab, jab some more until Liakhovich’s guard was exposed enough to throw a right uppercut. Liakhovich was finally able to work his way inside in the fifth round, with a double jab setting the table for body shots. It wasn’t much, nor did it seem to particularly bother Valuev. But if you were looking for any round to give to Sergei, this would be the one.

Valuev came back with a vengeance in round six, taking advantage of a lethargic Liakhovich by keeping his jab in his face and at times hooking off the jab. By rounds end, Liakhovich bore the look of a beaten fighter, prompting trainer Tommy Brooks to ask between rounds whether or not he needed to stop the fight.

The speech motivated Liakhovich enough to begin the seventh round with an extra pep in his step, but was still being outworked as Valuev kept him at the end of his jab and well within his desired punching range.

It was more of the same until the 10th round, which may have been Sergei’s best round of the fight. For the first time in the fight, he heeded Tommy Brooks’ instructions to let his hands go and take chances, landing combinations and at least keeping up with Valuev’s pace. He kept up the work rate in the 11th, matching Valuev punch for punch, though it was still Valuev landing the more telling blows.

The final round began with a whimper but developed into the same story as the preceding 11 – Valuev’s jab keeping Liakhovich at bay. Sergei responded by moving backward, seemingly content to last the full twelve rather than go out with a bang, or even on his shield.

The scoring was academic, with Valuev taking every round on all three scorecards, with one judge even crediting the Russian Giant with a 10-8 round, despite there being no knockdowns in the fight. The final scores were 120-108 (2x) and 120-107, all for Valuev who improves to 48-1 (34KO). The win puts Valuev in line for a rematch against WBA heavyweight titlist Ruslan Chagaev, against whom he lost his title and undefeated record last April.

Liakhovich’s career heads in the opposite direction. He loses his second straight in falling to 23-3 (14KO). Showing up at a fleshy 251 lb and lethargic throughout, Liakhovich now has to decide whether he wants to make one last serious go of it, or concede future status as a divisional gatekeeper.

The fight was presented by Sauerland Event, in association with Don King Prodcutions.

Jake Donova

Jul 24, 2005
THE 2008 U.S. OLYMPIC BOXING TEAM IS SET IN HOUSTON

Boxing in Houston, Texas, August 20-26. Eleven boxers fulfilled their Olympic dreams with a strong week of boxing in Houston.
Two-time national champion and Pan American Games gold medalist Luis Yanez (Duncanville, Texas) filled the flyweight spot while 2004 Olympian Rau’shee Warren (Cincinnati, Ohio) made history by becoming the first U.S. boxer in 30 years to compete in two Olympic Games.

Bantamweight Gary Russell, Jr. (Capitol Heights, Md.) took the hard route through the challengers bracket, winning six straight bouts to grab the Olympic berth. Featherweight Raynell Williams (Cleveland, Ohio) was pushed to a second bout on his road to the Olympics, but add the title of Olympian to his resume with five wins in Houston.

Former junior champion Sadam Ali (Brooklyn, N.Y.) went undefeated in his week in Houston to earn the lightweight Olympic berth. Seventeen-year-old Javier Molina (Commerce, Calif.) continued his outstanding 2007 winning the light welterweight spot. Two-time national champion and 2007 Pan American Games silver medalist Demetrius Andrade (Providence, R.I.) filled the only hole in his ever-growing resume, winning the welterweight berth on the 2008 U.S. Olympic Team.

Shawn Estrada (Downey, Calif.) emerged from the talent-rich middleweight division, winning four straight bouts on his way to the Olympic Team. Two-time national champion and Pan American Games bronze medalist Christopher Downs (Fort Carson, Colo.) will become the oldest known U.S. boxer to compete in an Olympic Games after winning the light heavyweight Olympic spot in Houston.

The towering Deontay Wilder (Tuscaloosa, Ala.) shocked his fellow opponent, making the 2008 U.S. Olympic team with only 21 bouts of experience and super heavyweight Michael Hunter (Las Vegas, Nev.) will round out the 11 boxers representing the United States.

The U.S. Olympic team still must qualify their spots internationally with the first opportunity being the World Championships, October 23-November 3 in Chicago, Ill. The light flyweight-light heavyweight division competitors will have to finish in the top eight while the heavyweight and super heavyweight athletes will have to place in top four.

I can't wait to see how this team will do this summer I think they will be way better than the 2004

Jul 24, 2005
Bell, Adamek to hook up in title elimination bout in Poland

Two of boxing's most exciting fighters, former undisputed cruiserweight champion O'Neil Bell and former light heavyweight titleholder Tomasz Adamek, will hook up in a title elimination bout April 19 in Katowice, Poland, handlers for both fighters told ESPN.com on Tuesday.

Seminole Warriors Boxing, representing Atlanta-based Jamaican Bell, and Main Events, for Poland's Adamek, cut a deal Tuesday to avoid an IBF-ordered purse bid that had been scheduled for Tuesday but was pushed back on Monday to Feb. 15 because they were so close to an agreement.

The winner of Bell-Adamek will earn a mandatory shot at titlist Steve Cunningham, who, coincidentally, won his title in Katowice last spring in a rematch with Krzysztof Wlodarczyk, a Warriors fighter.

Bell (26-2-1, 24 KOs) claimed the undisputed championship of the 200-pound division when he unified the three major titles by knocking out Jean-Marc Mormeck in the 10th round Jan. 7, 2006 in New York. Besides Evander Holyfield, Bell is the only fighter to become undisputed cruiserweight champion in the division's 28-year history.

However, after defeating Mormeck, Bell didn't fight again until facing Mormeck in a rematch last March in his native France, where he lost a close decision in one of the most action-packed fights of 2007.

The bout with Adamek will be Bell's first since that defeat.

"I think it's a classic kind of fight," said Leon Margules of Warriors Boxing. "They're both terrific fighters and punchers, but I don't believe Adamek's power will affect O'Neil. Adamek is not as strong as Mormeck and O'Neil is the best puncher in the division. I think O'Neil will be too big and too strong, but you never know."

After two successful defenses of his light heavyweight belt, Adamek, 31, lost a decision to Chad Dawson last February. After the defeat, Adamek (33-1, 22 KOs) moved up to cruiserweight, where he has won two bouts in a row.

There is no scheduled American television coverage of the bout yet, but the promoters said they are talking to U.S. outlets and believe they will make a deal.

Jul 24, 2005
Edison Miranda: "I'd Destroy Arthur Abraham"

Pantera Miranda has not had much to say about his former opponent Arthur Abraham in a long time. But in a recent interview he blasted him for not being a true champ. "Ever since I busted your jaw, you have fought nobody. But here you are bragging to the media about what solid opponents you’ve faced. Who are these guys? It is a joke that you never step it up like a true champion and fight a strong opponent.”

Abraham will be facing Elvin Ayala (18-2-1, 8 KO’s) for his next title defense in late March. Miranda had some choice words about this opponent as well. “I could only laugh when I saw his next hand picked opponent. Ayala is a guy that lost not once, but two times to David Banks, a guy that I sent through the ropes with one punch. To make matters worse he brings all these bums into his backyard – a place where the referee treats him like his own daughter. If he had any balls, he would fly his ass to America and fight m! e at a catch weight of 165. I’d destroy him!”

Miranda, who is well known to face any opponent anywhere, has his eyes set on Canadian Jean Pascal, the WBO 2nd ranked fighter in the world, for a possible June 7th showdown in Montreal. Miranda spoke highly of Pascal acknowledging that Pascal’s unblemished record is not an accident. “Edison Miranda is a real fighter. I fight the best available that have the courage to step in the ring with me. If I need to go to Montreal to fight Pascal, then I will. P! ascal will be my fourth undefeated opponent in my last seven fights. He is not only highly ranked but has an impressive record of 21-0 with a strong amateur background. I could sit back and accumulate easy wins like Abraham, but I choose to fight strong opponents. It’s not only my job as a boxer to do this, but it’s what the fans want to see. I look forward to putting on a show for the 20,000 Canadian fans projected to come to this fight.”

Miranda (30-2, 26 KO’s) is currently ranked 4th in the WBC, 6th in the WBA, 7th in the IBF and 10th in the WBO and seems to be feeling much healthier and stronger after recently moving up to super middleweight. He has his eyes on fighting the best in the division. “I want to fight the best at super middleweight just like I did at middleweight. If he is ever man enough to fight me, I want to fight Taylor. He’s been avoiding me for years now. This is not only a fight that I want but all the fans want as well. After that, I’d love to get a rematch with Pavlik and show him what I’ve got at 168 when I am healthy. I will not only be champ at this weight class, but a champ who fights the very best – just like the old days.”

I can't wait for this fight