Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Roach: Crawford is Good, But He Can't Handle Postol

Posted by: Victor Salazar on 10/8/2015 .

by Victor Salazar

Carson, California - In what was a head turning upset this past weekend, as Freddie Roach’s pupil Viktor Postol (28-0, 12KOs) stopped Lucas Matthysse with a surprise knockout ending to capture the vacant WBC 140-pound title.

Matthysse took a big right hand in the tenth and went down. Fearing a possible eye injury, he remained down on a knee as the referee counted him out.

Roach, who in the beginning of the year had suffered a string of defeats, has rebounded with this upset victory. He said the fight changed when Postol was able to land more combinations and those punches were able to hurt Matthysse.

“It was ok, it was a little sloppy in the beginning,” Roach told BoxingScene. “He started putting combinations together and that's when the fight started to change. Matthysse is a great fighter and we did hurt him a couple of times in the fight. When they were tied up and on the break both guys were relaxed and it left openings for him [to hit] Matthysse. I kept telling him to take advantage of that and then he finally did and it worked well.”

Roach feels Postol is the best 140 pounder in the world and with his preparation would like to take on the likes of a Terence Crawford (26-0, 18KOs).

“I like that he fought pretty well, trained really well and took advantages of things I told him in the corner,” explained Roach. “Matthysse was the bigger name going into this but now we can get a bigger name like Crawford. I don’t think Crawford can handle my guy.”

Roach says if the money is right, they’ll take a trip to Crawford’s hometown of Omaha, Nebraska.

“It’s a good fight we probably have to go to his hometown, but if we got to go to his hometown, probably gotta pay us more money. It’s a great fight for boxing. Crawford is a very good opponent but don’t think he can handle my guy.”

Jul 24, 2005
Real-life Couple Liev Schreiber And Naomi Watts Are Teaming Up On The Big Screen To Portray Boxer Chuck Wepner And His Wife Linda.

The Bleeder will follow the life of the fighter who shocked the world when he became the third person to knock former heavyweight champion Muhammad Ali down during a match in 1975.

He was stopped in the fifteenth round. Wepner had his last fight in September of 1978.

Schreiber will also produce the movie, which is slated to start filming this month (October 15) in New York under the direction of The Good Lie's Philippe Falardeau.

Movie mythology suggests Wepner served as the inspiration for Sylvester Stallone's boxing character Rocky Balboa, which spawned seven films with the boxer's character

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
Real-life Couple Liev Schreiber And Naomi Watts Are Teaming Up On The Big Screen To Portray Boxer Chuck Wepner And His Wife Linda.

The Bleeder will follow the life of the fighter who shocked the world when he became the third person to knock former heavyweight champion Muhammad Ali down during a match in 1975.

He was stopped in the fifteenth round. Wepner had his last fight in September of 1978.

Schreiber will also produce the movie, which is slated to start filming this month (October 15) in New York under the direction of The Good Lie's Philippe Falardeau.

Movie mythology suggests Wepner served as the inspiration for Sylvester Stallone's boxing character Rocky Balboa, which spawned seven films with the boxer's character

2-0-Sixx @2-0-Sixx .. HATE ON OL WEPNER NOW!!

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
Some of my favorite ones here..

"They called me a fat, cowardly, cocaine-snorting, fight-fixing cheat," Who they calling fat!"

Versus Larry Holmes, the action was stopped so the ref could check on Cobb. He asked him, "Do you see me?" Cobb replies, "Yeah. You're white. It's the black guy I'm worried about."

Mills Lane stopped the action to ask Cobb if he was okay in a fight in Reno. When Cobb replied that he was, Lane asked him, "Do you know where you are?" Cobb replied, "I am in Reno, getting the shit kicked out of me."

"I'll do anything to keep from working for a living, if I've gotta fight a circus bear, then let's get the drawers on him and get it on!!"

"All I do is hit somebody in the mouth. It's a whole lot easier than working for a living. Don't make anything noble out of what I do."

"Boxing writers are the only people out there who have less constructive jobs than what I do. I don't do nothing but hit people, and those mothers don't do nothing but write about what I do!"

"He has screwed everybody he has ever been around. Hog, dog, or frog, it don't matter to Don. If you got a quarter, he wants the first 26 cents." - On promoter Don King

.. and there's a million more.

Jul 24, 2005
Exclusive: Sugar Ray Leonard says Floyd Mayweather not in all-time top ten, has to go for 50-0

All-time great Sugar Ray Leonard has told WBN that he believes Floyd Mayweather should try to break Rocky Marciano’s 49-0 record after equalling the feat against Andre Berto last month

Mayweather announced his intention to retire from the sport upon the completion of his lucrative Showtime contract, a decision that shocked many considering the sums of cash that can be generated from ‘Money’ fighting just one more time.

Leonard was also asked where he would place the self-styled ‘Best Ever’ on the back of his considerable achievements in the sport and ruled out naming Mayweather on a par with legends like Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson.

“Floyd has done great with his 49-0 and he has to come back for the 50th. It’s all set up for him to do so and I can’t see him finishing on 49-0 when the record is right in front of him,” Leonard exclusively told World Boxing News.

“I’m not sure he’d be top ten, but he will be remembered I’m sure about that. There are so many fighters like Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson and many others to choose from.

“Love him or hate him, you cannot deny what Floyd has done for boxing and I’m sure he will be missed as he was the top fighter out there,” he added.

A huge nine-figure check awaits Mayweather should he decide to fight for the 50th time as a professional as the major networks will be falling over themselves to snap up the pay-per-view rights to a comeback.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Sources: Thurman, Porter headed to welterweight showdown on Dec. 12

Dan Rafael, ESPN Senior Writer
Welterweight titlist Keith Thurman and former titleholder Shawn Porter have been on a collision course for a while, and their potential showdown has been one fans have talked about. It appears as though it will happen -- and sooner rather than later.

They are penciled in to fight Dec. 12 (at a site to be determined) on Showtime, multiple sources with knowledge of the fight told ESPN.com. Showtime declined comment on Wednesday.

It would be a marquee fight in one of boxing's best divisions and one that Al Haymon, manager of both fighters and creator of Premier Boxing Champions, finally decided to make.

Thurman (26-0, 22 KOs) would be defending his title for the third time since being elevated to a full titleholder. He made his first defense March 7 in Las Vegas on NBC in prime time in the first-ever PBC main event as he dominated Robert Guerrero in an action-packed but lopsided decision win.

Thurman, 26, of Clearwater, Florida, returned July 11 before a hometown crowd in Tampa for a seventh-round knockout of former titlist Luis Collazo in the first PBC on ESPN card.
Porter (26-1-1, 16 KOs), 27, lost his belt by decision to Kell Brook in August 2014 but rebounded with two impressive performances.

Porter, of Akron, Ohio and living in Las Vegas, scored a fifth-round knockout of Erick Bone on March 13 on the first PBC on Spike TV card in Ontario, California, and followed with a clear decision win against Adrien Broner on June 20 in a prime-time PBC on NBC main event.

Jul 24, 2005
AB versus…TBE?
Michael Woods
October 9, 2015
[​IMG]

The rumor reached me from my best, on-the-ground source, Mr. X.

“Woodsy, I’m hearing rumblings…They are thinking Adrien Broner versus Floyd Mayweather if and when Floyd decides to get bored of being the world-traveler, an Instagram Hall of Famer. AB vs. TBE.”

Hmmm…I was thinking we’d be heading in that direction three years ago.

Back then, I was chatting with an HBO exec.

“Broner got talent, sure, but could it be we see the kid go off the rails?” I asked the suit.

Yeah, he acknowledged; that is the biggest if.

“Talented, but how will success affect him?” the guy asked me in turn.

Fast forward a couple years…

We saw how fame and fortune affected the Cincy hitter. We saw and he admitted it to us. The money got to my head, he said. Now, he stated, he’s got that head screwed on straight. No more funny business, he told us. And certainly, his walk matched his talk when he stopped rugged Russian Khabib Allakhverdiev last weekend. So, we look forward, wonder if he can keep up that momentum to the degree that when Floyd gets bored, AB will be front and center as his logical next…

I put it to Coach Mike Stafford, Broner’s longtime tutor and father-figure.

Mike, I’m hearing AB and TBE, talk to me…

“You never know what Floyd’s up to,” the amiable Ohioan told me. “He is about money and business. Whatever he comes up with, Al Haymon got an answer for it. We’re not smarter than Al; we go with what Al says.”

So, if Floyd does get bored, wants to glove up end of 2016, would AB do that? “End of 2016, AB would have a better shot at winning.”

So…Stafford didn’t shoot the rumor down. Talk to me, friends. Your thoughts?

Jul 24, 2005
Dan Rafael chat wrap 10/9:

- Andre Ward still needs to finalize his deal for the Cotto-Canelo undercard. No word on the opponent, but do not expect a top level fighter.
- The general plan for Ward's 3 fight contract with HBO is to fight on the Cotto-Canelo undercard, another fight in March/April (where Yunieski Gonzalez is a possible opponent), and then a PPV with Kovalev.
- Ward's career at 168 is most likely over. It is not necessarily because he can't make weight, but that because all his viable business opportunities are at 175.
- Ward vs. GGG won't happen anytime soon. It hasn't happened for a lot of different reasons. Now their career paths are going in different directions. GGG is looking to unify 160 and Ward is working towards fighting Kovalev at 175.
- J. Prince still manages Ward.
- Postol broke Matthysse's will more than his body. Believes Matthysse was concerned about his eye and also decided to quit. Had Postol up by 1 point at the time of the stoppage.
- Terrible that Ben Tackie is still fighting. (Commentor wrote in saying he worked for the IRS and knew for a fact that Tackie has tax issues).
- There are absolutely no rematch talks between Mayweather and Pacquiao. Anyone saying there are is fabricating a story.
- Selby is ready to fight a seasoned veteran.
- According to GB there are no visa issues with Tureano-O'Kane, the fight is on.
- Rigo's career has stalled because no networks want to spend money on him and he isn't an attraction in ratings or selling seats. He can fight more, but not necessarily at the money he thinks he should get.
- On a scale of 1-10, how likely is Ward-Kovalev in 2016? 9.
- Rank the fights? 1. Tito-Vargas, 2. Hamed-Kelly, 3. Holyfield-Tyson 1.
- Thought Cherry beat Pedraza. Pedraza looked very average. Believes he needs a more experienced trainer (currently trained by his Dad) because he has a lot of talent that isn't being maximized.
- Crawford vs. Postol? Fascinating fight that probably won't happen, likely due to Postol not being popular enough for TR and HBO.
- Pacquiao is on a fight by fight basis now, regarding retirement. Expect him to fight at least once more.
- Camacho isn't a guarantee to get in the HOF, but he expects him to get in. Very weak year for HOF nominations.
- Vinny Pazienza was a fun fighter to watch, but not a HOF'er to him.
- Gatti is in the HOF because he is revered as the most exciting fighter of his generation, not because of his skills (in response to a question regarding Camacho being a better fighter than Gatti).
- Doesn't like that 3 fighters automatically get in every year into the HOF. Likes baseball's system where you need a % of the vote to get in. One year it was so weak he left his ballot blank...but will not do that again because 3 get in and he will vote for his 3 most "deserving" candidates. This year will be a struggle to vote for 3.
- Nicholas Walters will fight Dec. 12 on HBO. No opponent yet. Has been told he will be fighting at 130.
- Hopkins may still fight Abraham. They were talking about fighting in 2016. Abraham will fight Murray in November.
- No one within Haymon's organization will speak to the media about PBC's plan. Haymon dictates what employees can say publicly.
- ESPN3 will carry undercard bouts from the Linares-Cano stream.
- MSG is sold out for the GGG-Lemieux fight.
- Picking GGG to beat Lemieux.
- Not surprised Provodnikov left Freddie Roach. Ruslan needed a change and it was becoming obvious that Roach didn't have enough time for Ruslan.
- Numbers he has heard for the Floyd-Berto PPV was a little over 400k buys. Definitely did not reach 500k.
- The reason Floyd-Berto was announced so late was because Showtime wanted first option to pick up Floyd's next fight (if he chose to do so). Doesn't know if or what Floyd and Showtime agreed upon.
- Lamont Peterson vs. Felix Diaz fight is contracted at a catch weight of 143 lbs.
- Shawn Porter is a terrific guy and very accommodating with fans.
- Who has been the most impressive prospect this year? Probably Spence.
- If Rigo gets stripped, Donaire and Juarez are the mandatories to fight for the vacant belt
- Hagler vs. RJJ? RJJ.
- Nonito Donaire a HOF'er? Borderline.
- Bradley is borderline HOF, maybe has already done enough.
- Lee Groves from CompuBox and Ring Magazine is a super historian and has a great fight collection.
- Lee vs. Saunders is supposed to be rescheduled for Dec. 19.
- Which wives of fighters were nice people? Jin Mosley was always nice. Tracy Byrd (wife of Chris) is terrific. Rachel Donaire and Monica Bradley are really great too.
- Wouldn't be surprised if the WBC legally allows Wilder to have another exception before his mandatory.
- Truth behind the rumor of Ruslan vs. Mosley? Not sure if they have talked, but would be surprised if HBO or Showtime wanted the fight, that leads him to believe that it is unlikely to happen.
- Biggest heavyweight puncher of all time? Foreman or Shavers.
- Gatti vs. Hatton? Hatton.
- Prichard Colon is an exciting WW prospect with good power.
- Bernard Hopkins is 100% the same off camera as he is on camera.
- Was told that money, not weight was the issue for Rigo not accepting a fight with Lomachenko.
- The winner of Fonfara vs. Cleverly is a likely next opponent for Stevenson.
- Over/under 450k PPV buys for GGG-Lemieux? Under.
- Amir Imam was born and raised in NY. He is of Sudanese decent.
- John Thompson or Liam Smith? No strong opinion, but will pick Smith.
- Canelo's best win? Lara.
- How do trainer's get paid? Different. Some get 10 % of purse, some get more, some less, some get a flat fee.
- Tyson's boxing promotion closed because he had a falling out with Gary Jonas, who was in charge of the business, it was losing massive amounts of money. They split up, Jonas closed the business and became a manager, and took all his fighters to Haymon.
- Sergio Martinez for the HOF? Yes.
- Danny Garcia vs. Pernell Whitaker? Whitaker, 12-0.
- Glen Johnson is a super cool guy.
- Michael Clarke should not be licensed and allowed to fight.
- Bryant Jennings will not fight again this year.
- Broner vs. Peterson? Would be very interested in seeing it.
- No problems with Beterbiev vs. Murat.
- Bute vs. DeGale? DeGale probably outboxes him.

Jul 24, 2005
Barry Hunter on Adrien Broner:

"If, in my opinion, if he stays focused and do the things he's capable of doing, along with the gifts that he has...then he WILL be that Second Coming. In fact, I mean, he may surpass him"

"He's a funny kid man, I got a bad habit of calling all of em kids because I watched em grow (been working with AB since he was 17), but he's a funny guy. Normally, I'll get the phone call when he does something or when something's not right, and I got the call from him, I was in Florida at the time, after the Shawn Porter fight. I didn't go, because I didnt WANT to go, because I knew he wasn't right. I didn't think he did the necessary things he needed to do to beat Shawn. Now, take nothing away from Shawn Porter, cause Shawn did what Shawn needed to do. I thought Shawn listened to his Dad like he was supposed too, and I know he trained for the fight, but skill for skill, Adrien Broner is just a piece of work man, he can do his thing. Most of his wounds are self-inflicted, once he stop hurting himself, then he will become that great fighter that we all thought he could become. I'll get a call from him, you know, when things are not right. He called me up and he said that he's wanting to come back to DC and he told me he wanted to turn his life around. It's a process, but I saw some improvement. We still got a little ways to go...but I think he's gonna make it"

Props: CZAR and CZAR

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Any respect I had for Ward has just been thrown out the window. Stop begging for a payday and trying to live off shit you did 6 years ago, fight in your weight class or move up to LHW, the wieght you won your gold medal in and take your pick.

-----------------------------------------
http://www.boxingscene.com/wards-lawyer-gggs-coach-crossed-line-with-liar-jab--96776

Things are certainly heating up between the respective teams of WBA/IBO middleweight champion Gennady "GGG" Golovkin (33-0, 30KOs) and WBA super middleweight king Andre Ward (28-0, 15KOs).

In a Friday night article on BoxingScene.com , Roc Nation executive Michael Yormark, who promotes Ward, lashed out at Golovkin's promoter, Tom Loeffler of K2 Promotions - regarding Team GGG's statements regarding a potential fight with Ward.

In a video interview (and article) that ran a few days ago on BoxingScene, Golovkin's trainer, Abel Sanchez, called Ward "a liar" when discussing Ward's position that Golovkin and his team are avoiding him. That wasn't the first or last interview where Sanchez branded Ward a liar.

Attorney Josh Dubin, who represents Ward, was offended by Sanchez's comments and intends to take action if those type of comments continue.

"Andre is a man and a professional fighter of the highest integrity, so when he sees or hears these comments or we see or hear these comments - 99% of the time we just ignore them and just chalk it up to people just trying to use his name to promote their own event. And we understand that and it's fine if they want to do that," Dubin explained to BoxingScene.com.

"But Abel crossed a line when he called him a liar. I'm not going to stand by and allow someone to insult my friend and my client's integrity and professionalism by calling him a liar when it completely untrue."

"Abel Sanchez would be well served to get himself an attorney, because if he continues to make comments like that or doesn't retract what he said - he'll be walking out one day to take his 'Little G' on a run and there will be a process server standing there to hand him a lawsuit. And if he doesn't think that's the case, he can keep on making the comments that he's making and then we'll see what happens."

At this point, a Ward-Golovkin showdown is very unlikely. The two fighters are going in completely different directions.

On October 17th, Golovkin will face IBF champion David Lemieux in a unification on HBO Pay-Per-View from New York's Madison Square Garden. If Golovkin wins, he will become the mandatory challenger to the winner of Miguel Cotto vs. Saul "Canelo" Alvarez - who battle for the WBC middleweight title on November 21 at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.

Ward is expected to make a full jump to light heavyweight, with his debut at 175 taking place on the Cotto-Canelo HBO Pay-Per-View undercard. The plan for Ward would be an HBO Pay-Per-View fight with WBO/WBA/IBF light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev in 2016.

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
Ward has been so disappointing the past few years. They are talking about fighting Azea Augustuma next. And that's not all. Not only would this be a tuneup after a tuneup they want a total of three more tuneups from HBO before they will discuss a fight with Kovalev. Dafuq? Which is funny, he wants what will be four tuneups before fighting Kovalev but they throw a pissy fit that Golovkin won't go up in weight immediately into a Ward fight, knowing he was signing a fight with Lemieux and has the WBC title shot following.

Jul 24, 2005
New

Beterbiev-Mikhalkin Now in Play For IBF Eliminator

Posted by: Per Ake Persson on 10/12/2015 .

By Per Ake Persson

According to a press release from EC Boxing, current EBU light heavyweight champion Igor Mikhalkin (17-1) have been accepted by the International Boxing Federation as challenger for an IBF eliminator against Artur Beterbiev (9-0).

Beterbiev returns on November 28th in Quebec as part of a Showtime tripleheader. The event will be headlined by James DeGale defending his IBF super middleweight title against Canadian star Lucian Bute.

Mikhalkin defended the title against Hugo Kasperski this past weekend but is ready to go again and EC Boxing expect the fight vs Beterbiev to go ahead before 2015 ends.

Previously, Mikhalkin´s stablemate Karo Murat had been mentioned as the opponent for Beterbiev, but he is still not fit for a fight of this magnitude after an injury.

Mikhalkin will have to give up the EBU title and here we might see Karo Murat enter the stage. There is currently no official challenger after Oleksandr Cherviak lost to Erik Skoglund in September.

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
Cornelius Bundrage
✔
@K9boxing

Maidana vs Bundrage: K-9 talks Comeback and More https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USJMOwlVO7k
1:30 PM - 12 Oct 2015
YouTube @YouTube
WTF? Maidana is that fat he's gonna be fighting at 154?

I guess it's not that surprising. After he got those Mayweather paychecks dude got HUGE. He was eatin. A lot! Recent pic:

Far right