Bellator 134: Newton vs. McGeary

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Close fight, but I have no idea how Liam walked away with the belt. Don't see how laying on your back throwing out a bunch of failed submission attempts got him the win. Dude's technique was so terrible he couldn't finish multiple triangles and now he's "champion" lol

Feb 10, 2006
I thought he edged out the W. Newton did jack shit with the top position, absolutely nothing. Stand up from both guys was pretty non existent as well but thought Liam got the better of it. Failed submissions? yeah, but he locked in quite a few of em EACH round, the busier fighter won last night imo. Wouldn't mind seeing a rematch. Newton's standup is awful btw, even tho he has a couple of spinning ko's.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Liam's BJJ in this fight was equivalent to Leonard Garcia's stand up. Winging a bunch of punches in the air looking busy. Looks good for the judges I guess.

Liam's BJJ was so ineffective, even after getting all the submission attempts Newton just jumped right back in his guard with zero fear. I have no idea how that could even be counted. The only one that looked good was the mounted triangle at the end of the round, the rest of that shit was garbage. Dude's BJJ technique was garbage and completely ineffective. If you lock somebody in a triangle and all they have to do is roll out of it, that shit shouldn't be scored.

Feb 10, 2006
Liam has long legs and couldn't get a good enough hold of Newton, he's real slicc as well he kept squirming out of it. It was his corner that kept telling him to get back in his guard. Its Liam's ineffectiveness that won him the belt lol.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Its Liam's ineffectiveness that won him the belt lol.
Exactly, that's why I compared him to Leonard Garcia winging punches in the air lol

Regardless though, the majority of his BJJ attempts happened in round 1 and 3. I have no idea how he could have gotten the nod in 2, 4, or 5 where he did nothing but be on bottom.

I hate lay n pray and I hate to see someone like Newton win with nothing but top position, but with the 10 point must system in place he should still be champion, Liam's only good rounds were 1 and 3.

Feb 10, 2006
Exactly, that's why I compared him to Leonard Garcia winging punches in the air lol

Regardless though, the majority of his BJJ attempts happened in round 1 and 3. I have no idea how he could have gotten the nod in 2, 4, or 5 where he did nothing but be on bottom.

I hate lay n pray and I hate to see someone like Newton win with nothing but top position, but with the 10 point must system in place he should still be champion, Liam's only good rounds were 1 and 3.
I thought Liam "stole" round 2 at the end. They need to fight again. Plus this sounds stupid but judges look at damage as well and Newton's face was busted up pretty good.

Apr 25, 2002
Liam's BJJ was so ineffective, even after getting all the submission attempts Newton just jumped right back in his guard with zero fear. I have no idea how that could even be counted. The only one that looked good was the mounted triangle at the end of the round, the rest of that shit was garbage. Dude's BJJ technique was garbage and completely ineffective. If you lock somebody in a triangle and all they have to do is roll out of it, that shit shouldn't be scored.
i think Liam's nerves got to him. Newton was also hella sweaty but i don't know why Liam kept goin for that. i gave it to Liam barely. probably cus of the sub attempts and Newton fighting like he was Sanchez vs Diaz.

BJJ's whole point is submitting from your back, on the ground. in that regard, points should be givin like a point should be givin to a connected punch/kick. easy ass roll out's shouldn't but all these fuck judges would fuck that rule constantly. i also think you should get points for getting out of a submission. but some are easy to get out of, and some are where 99% of other fighters (male or female) woulda tapped. i think it was Rousey vs Tate 1 where Tate's elbow damn near buckled, and Michelle Waterson's fight against Jessica Penne where she got out of a submission where she shoulda tapped. there's a handful out there. those shouldn't be counted, or not counted like "easy" slippery submission breaks.