2012 MMA Awards

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Fighter of the Year: Benson "Smooth" Henderson

won UFC Lightweight Championship from Frankie Edgar, defended twice against Frankie Edgar and Nate Diaz

Runner Up: Ronda Rousey

won Strikeforce Women's Bantamweight Championship from Meisha Tate, defended against Sarah Kaufman, first female fighter signed by the UFC and with UFC's absorption of Strikeforce became UFC Women's Bantamweight Champion

Fight of the Year: Korean Zombie vs. Dustin Poirier

Runner Up: Jamie Varner vs. Joe Lauzon

Breakthrough Fighter of the Year: Renan Barao

within 13 months of UFC debut became UFC Interim Bantamweight Champion defeating future hall of famer Urijah Faber

Runner Up: Chris Weidman

joined UFC in 2011 winning on short notice went 3-0 in first year, in 2012 dominated two top 10 in the world middleweights in Demian Maia and Mark Munoz and his now in line for a title shot

Fight Team/Gym/Camp of the Year: Tristar Gym, Montreal Quebec Canada

home of Georges St. Pierre, Rory Macdonald, Ivan Menjivar, Mike Ricci etc.

Runner Up: Imperial Athletics aka Blackzillians

home of Rashad Evans, Alistair Overeem, Rumble Johnson, Tyrone Spong etc.

KO of the Year: Cung Le KO's Rich Franklin

Runner Up: Edson Barboza Spinning Wheel Kicks Terry Etim

Submission of the Year: Korean Zombie d'arce choke on Dustin Poirier

Runner Up: Demian Maia neck cranks Rick Story so hard blood shoots out of his nose

Last edited:

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
dude I've been dreading making this thread since sixxx made his lol. Thanks for doing all my work for me. Agree with pretty much everything. Couple I'll add is

Biggest Disappointment of the Year
Diaz vs. Condit. I have a weird way I live my life where I try not to get excited about anything, that way I can't be disappointed. A life full of disappointments leads you to this, and in February of this past year I let down that guard and got really fucking excited for Diaz vs Condit. "It's gonna be a dog fight" Condit had said in the pre-fight hype videos. He had been on a good tear in the UFC and was already known as one of the most violent men in MMA, and if you guys know B-Buzz you know I'm all about the V. So you have this wonderfully insane man in Condit and oh yeah, he's fighting Nick Motherfucking Diaz. Now I think we all have our own opinions on how this fight went, you can make an argument either way for a winner and I don't think you can really be wrong about this fight. But fuck. Would you really want to be right? This fight was ok on it's own, but as DIAZ VS CONDIT, fuck that fight. Fuck everyone involved and fuck anyone that watched it. It was that lame. The only people that won are Condit's immediate family.
Runner up:
Fedor & Aleks both retiring.

Props: InfamousICON