A-WAX & GONZOE's "RECESSION PROOF" ALBUM REVIEW...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 11, 2008
WWW.PLEASEATSOMESHIT.COM

A-WAX AND GONZOE

"RECESSION PROOF"

A-Wax of Pittsburg, Ca. team up with the raw and gritty Gonzoe of The Regime for "Recession Proof" There have been several videos released for the album and they reflect the time and money put into this solidly built album. With a wide range of beats and differentl style by each artists, I managed to play this album without skipping any tracks...several songs getting multiple spins. These new formed duo offers you an impressive list of features and production, while showcasing their undeniable talent.

Track 1 features Josh Franks and starts off with a real smooth beat overall......"but the streets keep calling me" echoes throughout the song and any D-boy or hustler can relate to the phrase.. Even though you have a way out...it isn't always easy to break free.Both speak on the struggle to get paid and deliver the verses on point,Unlike some album albums out..you can hear the hunger still in these artists voices.
"Thats Why"
Gonzoe starts this track off by dumping an entire lyrical clip into the minds of the listener...with Wax following up with a in depth heartfelt verse that paints a vivid picture of a day inside the life, Glasses Malone brings up the rear, with lines that many will be able to relate to...that is, if you've been there. This album has a deeply street influenced sound to it, deep basslines and raw backstreet based content this is basically a song explaining why cats pack heat.

"Stupidest Dro"
Roll one up, get the digi out and start breaking em down and baggin em up...if your lookin for a song to put on while you sackin em up or gettin ya count on, this is the one! Gonzoe will have you in the zone with this track....a good one to wake up n smoke too as well. This is track explains to ya'll what illburn is about..just sit back and soak it up. So far, the production on this album is solid and truly shows the way the Bay Area has evolved through these well arranged instrumentals and a clean crisp sound.

"On my Grind"
A-Wax featuring Riz
An uptempo song revolving around the same theme this album is based on, doing what it takes to keep getting money. A little faster speed than I'm used to hearing from Wax, and the effect on his voice alters his usual tone..But without a doubt Wax let's loose once A formerly unknown...Riz on the hook does a decent job adding a catchy chorus. Theres a heavy vocal effect on the dudes voice giving him the familiar Akon sound..either way a solid and catchy track with potential for mainstream radio play.

"Designer Drugs n Beatdowns" feat. E-40
Within 5 seconds this beat will have you anticipating a banger of a track....with the ambassador of the bay making a cameo. This song will have your trunk rumbling viciously....with all three artists spit above par..It's not easy to maintain the same level as 40 on a track, most get outshined, Wax and Gonzoe manage to hold their own on the track...each. illustrating their own profiles on the topic, I've played this one 3 times in a row, its one of those tracks that don't get old, the beat is ridiculous, oh boy...HARDEST TRACK ON THE ALBUM,

"Hop into the chevy"
The hook on this song, much like the hook on "dro by the pound" is somewhat southern influenced it seems, givin this album a strong potential for a nationwide presence and acceptance...Gonzoe rips through solo through this track ..nice on to blow one to and hit the freeway.another catchy hook...
Now songs like "70's Chevelle" show the versatility of rap styles available from Wax. It is evident he's definitely evolved from a raw street rapper the more of a lyricist in his latest albums.

T-Rodgers (http://trodgersinc.com/) make an appearance on the fast paced head bobber of a track "Red Bandanna" outlining some standards to living the life, meanwhile Wax lets loose over the track on some turf based lyrics.

" Natural Disasterz "
The track featuring the legendary C-Murder of No-Limit Records (who is currently in prison fighting a murder charge) coming in first and showing that he remains a factor in the rap industry and can still tear shit up in the booth. This song was the first to be released from the album along with a video to keep the fans in anticipation.

Wax n Gonzoe tag team the instrumental into submission with uncompromised delivery. More southern influence mixed with West Coast gangsta shit makes this a trunk rattlin hit.

"Downtown"
A standout track from the album, perfect for rotation at the local strip club.This shit is slapping and maintains the albums catchy nature.ya betta make a bitch get butt booty naked and shake it to the one...while tracks like "Kriminal" are deeper and the atmosphere thie beat sets allows Wax to unload his arsenal of high caliber verbal slugs, adding his wide range of styles. Wax explains the reasoning behind his mindstate...basically stating after being a crook so long its hard to adjust to not thinking like a criminal.. Wax's characteristic voice and lyrics let you get a glimpse inside the inner workings.
along with Gonzoe raspy hunger filled bars...the next track "Really in It" spills out my speakers and pulls me into reminiscing on hustlin and getting fast money...Wax speaks on he dope game so vividly I can almost smell coke. "Some want an exchange,other want a refund.....give em what they want or you'll lose em all to me son" explains the problems of adding to much cut to your product and how to handle if your clientele start trippin. Gonzoe's gritty turf raspiness teamed with Dior's style makes this an all around solid addition.

"Dro By the Pound"

I've been knockin this track long before this review and everyone that's heard it fully agree's it's a standout track. Everything from the beat to the verses make this easily one of the best songs on the album. For lack of a better term at the moment, Dude in the beginning can simply "sing his muthafuckin ass off". The video is well directed on an amazing location in Florida..truly displaying that Wax and Gonzoe have grown both lyrically and financially. One of the top 3 songs of the album in my opinion.
"Her Scent"
Gonzoe's solo effort proves the man can deliver a hot track without features. The topic being the scent of a woman....we've all been mesmerized at least once by some sexy broads perfume...and this song is for those moment. While the use of autotune tends to cause a loss of points with me...its almost bearable on this track. but could hjave been left out in my opinon.

And there you have it, an overall review for A-WAX and GONZOE's highly anticipated album "RECESSION PROOF". I give this album a 9.25 out of a possible 10, an extremely high score by any means. While listening I found no filler tracks on this album, a well chosen production lineup and features limited to a handful of other. The few features included are some of West Coast rap's greatest pioneers...E-40 and Brotha Lynch Hung..what more could you ask for? . A-Wax and Gonzoe blend well together through the album. Definitely a pourchase you would regret due tpo the high replay value and overall quality of the album itself. Any A-Wxx or Gonzoe fan should pick this up as well as any bay area rap fan, its worth the purchase.
A-Wax himself has truly proven his ability and evollution with his latest releases, this current duo with Gonzoe of the Regime just is another indicator he has what it takes. These two go back to back spitting heat throughout this album and it's definitely one of the better albums I've heard of 2009. I can easily see more projects in the future from th\ese two. Gonzoes raw n raspy pit bull style raps compliments Wax's style, nothing but good music and quality videos..

http://www.myspace.com/waxfase
http://trodgersinc.com/
http://www.myspace.com/gonzoe

Now where the fuck did I put that doobie..

Ya Boy,

Dirt E. Needlez.

Apr 14, 2006
^Yeah, I really like this album too. There are only like 2 songs I'm not feelin on here..Her Scent and Downtown (decent). I am really feelin the production of this album....

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
Really good album, i only didn't like the 2 songs on there intended to be club/ 4 the ladies songs. West coast album of the year candidate for sure, production is really clean with a mainstream feel. Even the autotuned cuts are hella tight