wrestling then and now

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 17, 2004
i notice a lot of the old timers or veterans today complaining about how these new kids these days don't know how to work. i haven't really watched actual wrestling like raw or smackdown since about 2000-2001. but from what ive seen i feel like these young bucks work just fine….maybe even better than a lot of the dudes i would watch in the 90s. i look at what is expected of young talent today and feel like guys like dusty rhodes, ultimate warrior, junkyard dog, etc. wouldn't have hacked it today. a guy like the miz bores the hell out of me, but at the end of the day i think hes all around more talented than say ted dibiase (sr). but i feel like many older wrestlers and fans would disagree. i could be wrong but i feel like its harder to make it in the business today than it was 15-20 years ago and kinda feel like todays wresters are physically more talented and creative than the ones i grew up idolizing.

so what exactly are these old guys talking about? do todays youth in wrestling not have to drive from show to show anymore staying awake on pills and making little money and thus don't pay their dues like old timers did?

i still think the 90s was the golden era of wrestling and feel like todays product is pretty bad….but i cant put my finger on why todays product is so boring. maybe its the writing, the lack of a hulk hogan/stone cold/rock superstar, lack of another more competitive brand, or just the culture of the audience and what ppl want these days....i just feel like it doesn't have anything to do with the young kids today not knowing how to "work" or "understanding the business"

or maybe todays product isnt so bad and its just me

thoughts?

Oct 3, 2006
I agree with you in some parts, I think wrestlers today are more well rounded and try to bring more to their skill set compared with the wrestlers in the old school. But I think it was harder back in the day to break in the business. No internet, or youtube to watch film, just word of mouth and a couple vhs tapes here and there were what you had as your credentials. Now granted, back then there were alot more wrestling territories and shit with their own lil tv tapings for the regional areas, but I just think back then you had to have the perfect gimmick, abilities and look to get a contract, where as today, you can just have the right muscular look, or have been part of Hollywood to get in.

May 24, 2002
times change, wrestling styles change....thats just how its always been

You cant really say the old school style is better than the new school or vice versa. They both changed with the times.

Is it easier today to get into wrestling? yes

Is todays style more physically demanding and detrimental to your health? YES!

WWE puts out a "boring" product because they are trying to reach out to a wider audience than just wrestling fans. You still have plenty of great wrestling companies in the US like PWG, ROH, Chikara and Evolve that focus on putting out a solid PRO WRESTLING product.

May 25, 2005

You cant really say the old school style is better than the new school or vice versa. They both changed with the times.

WWE puts out a "boring" product because they are trying to reach out to a wider audience than just wrestling fans. You still have plenty of great wrestling companies in the US like PWG, ROH, Chikara and Evolve that focus on putting out a solid PRO WRESTLING product.
this

May 25, 2005

this

May 10, 2002
TSSSSSSSSSHAAAAAAA.COM
I THINKS ITS A LACK OF COMPETITION AND STARS, I THINK IF YOU PUT SOMEONE LIKE STONE COLD OR THE ROCK OR ANY OF THE OLDER WRESTLERS IN SOME OF THESE STUPID STORY LINES TODAY THAT THEY COULD MAKE THEM ENTERTAINING, BUT ALSO THERES NO NEW WRITERS, ITS BEEN SAID THAT THE BUSINESS HAS PASSED BY ALOT OF THESE WRITERS AND ITS TIME TO GET NEW ONES IN, ITS A COMBINATION OF A LOT OF THINGS

Oct 11, 2009
MY PROBLEM WITH TODAYS WRESTLING IS THAT SOMEONE LIKE JOHN CENA CAN BE IN THE WWE FOR ABOUT 10 YEARS AND BE CHAMPION 10 TIMES.... THERE'S GREATS LIKE MR. PERFECT AND RICK RUDE WHO WERE NEVER HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION...

Cut-Throat

Bob Pimp MOBBEN!!!
Apr 25, 2002
For me its an age thing. When i was a kid, hulk Hogan was a hero, now wrestling is just somethin ill watch once on a while if nothin else is on...

Nov 14, 2002
In reference to the Bucks... I think they are decent in the ring, but they're squares on the mic and even on their way down the ramp.

I'm pretty sure someone said the same thing on here... Chewing your gum hard doesn't make you a heel.

It makes you annoying.

RE: Everything else...

I think the indy/internet scene is finally getting a push and some people are hot about it. I think it's dope. I'm 28 and CM Punk is my "hero" right now. He's more of a hero to me than Hulk was back when I was six years old.
IS
And I mean... He pretty much IS Hogan right now, with his straightedge lifestyle... He's saying Fuck You to "the man" and still preaching a clean lifestyle. Pretty dope.

May 10, 2002
TSSSSSSSSSHAAAAAAA.COM
BACK IN THE DAY WHEN MR PERFECT AND RICK RUDE WERE AROUND THERE WAS JUST TOO MANY STARS THAT COULD HOLD THE BELT, TODAY JOHN CENA IS THE MEGA STAR AND THE ONLY OTHER ONES THAT COULD HOLD THE BELT ARE CM PUNK AND RANDY ORTON, THERES NOT A LOT OF STAR QUALITY IN WWE RIGHT NOW

Oct 30, 2002
www.soundclick.com
its all abput $$$ as long as wwe is turning profit they dont care what the story is or whos champ.. 1+1= 4 fuck it as long as we make money....

it aint the styles or not willingness to preform in the ring. vince is protecting his assets. servem the same cheese burger and fries . were making money. no risk in stoylines to turn off consumers we keep a steady flow of $$

Nov 14, 2002
BACK IN THE DAY WHEN MR PERFECT AND RICK RUDE WERE AROUND THERE WAS JUST TOO MANY STARS THAT COULD HOLD THE BELT, TODAY JOHN CENA IS THE MEGA STAR AND THE ONLY OTHER ONES THAT COULD HOLD THE BELT ARE CM PUNK AND RANDY ORTON, THERES NOT A LOT OF STAR QUALITY IN WWE RIGHT NOW

I agree. TSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

But I think they're trying to change that right now. I notice there's much more of a push towards "real wrestling" and also towards building the characters... I mean even the Diva's are getting a push.

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
Chula Vista, South Bay, San Diego, California
its really a combination of everything that has been said thus far.

lack of competition: WWE really has no one to compete with on a major scale. therefore they dont have to compete with another wrestling organization. no need for monday night wars, creative ideas, etc.

Reality TV: Vince & friends want to capitalize on the reality tv demographic. They somehow feel thats their competition. i dont see how, but ok lol but it shows in the programming these past few years. lots of talking back and forth, injecting real life scenarios etc.

Creative team/Writing: it sucks. They really fucked up the CM punk angle imo. they coulda made him the God of wrestling.

Jan 18, 2006
^^^ I think its cuz Cena came after the attitude era. Folks just dont care for faces like that anymore. With that being said there will never be another Hogan. He was god in the 80's. He was one of the heels ever also with the NWO shit. I think Hogan is underrated as fuck on how well he sold himself as a heel especially considering the type of face he was. The 80's were also totally different times. Heros and shit were a lot more appreciated and liked.

Nov 14, 2002
Yo Rasan, I felt the same way about the Punk angle at first... But I'm starting to think that he's in a spot where he's going to be king shit a few PPV's down the line. I'm sure the HHH/Nash/McMahon etc. story is going to be going on for a while... I'm sure they have a direction for Punk.