Weezer offered $10 million to retire

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Seattle resident James Burns has begun an effort to raise $10 million in order to pay Weezer to stop making music.

Burns hopes the raise the money on DIY fundraising website thepoint.com, with individuals encouraged to pledge $12 apiece to the cause.

Weezer drummer Patrick Wilson responded on Twitter, joking: “if they can make it 20, we’ll do the 'deluxe breakup'!”

Burns' full statement reads: "I have never been a fan of this band. I think that they are pretty much horrible, and always have been. Even in the early 90’s.

"But this isn’t about me. This is about the Weezer fans. They are our brothers and sisters, our friends, our lovers.

"Every year, Rivers Cuomo swears that he’s changed, and that their new album is the best thing that he’s done since 'Pinkerton,' and what happens? Another pile of crap like 'Beverly Hills' or 'I’m Your Daddy.'

"This is an abusive relationship, and it needs to stop now.

"I am tired of my friends being disappointed year after year.I am tired of endless whimsical cutesy album covers and music videos.

"I’m sick of hearing about whatever this terrible (and yes, even if you like the early stuff, you should be able to admit that they are wretched now) excuse for a band is up to these days.

"If all 852,000 of you (really?) who bought 'Pinkerton' pitch in $12, we will meet our goal.

"I beg you, Weezer. Take our money and disappear."

http://www.thepoint.com/campaigns/campaign-0-1079

http://sputnikmusic.com/news.php?newsid=15706

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Hahahaha. Hilarious. I used to love Weezer and still like a few of their songs but their new stuff is awful and I find most the stuff I did like in the past really fucking boring these days. Kind of like what happened to me with Sublime too.

Feb 7, 2006
sublimes early shit is dope and always will be. Weezer ad tw good albums then the fag rivers went bonkers and their shit has sucked donkey dick since.

May 16, 2002
I am cool with them taking the money and retiring AFTER I see them in SF in November. They are playing the Blue album in its entirety. Then fuck it, take the ten mil.

Palmer

RIP SouthernComfort
Apr 10, 2006
SEAHAWKS!!!
I just got confirmation that is the same James Burns and he did actually raise $10 million.....apparently 1 person alone pledge 9 something million.....how fucking crazy is that.

Nov 24, 2003
I just got confirmation that is the same James Burns and he did actually raise $10 million.....apparently 1 person alone pledge 9 something million.....how fucking crazy is that.

According to the website, not only did they not raise 10 million, but the guy stopped taking donations and is refunding money.

He did it for the lulz.

Hey, I’m going to break character here for a minute, okay? Okay.

The amount of attention this thing has gotten is unreal. I expected to ruffle a few feathers, but this is pretty insane.

So, I’ll be shutting this campaign down at noon on Monday.

Why?

Well, I didn’t raise $10 Million, and Weezer are still a band, but I accomplished everything I ever hoped to.

I figured since the internet wasted so much of my time with all the ridiculous articles about the new Weezer album, I thought I’d return the favor and waste some of the internet’s time.

Boy howdy, did I succeed.

So in case there was any doubt (and if there was, all I can say is that you’re dumber than me) that this campaign was anything more than a giant piss-take, I’ll leave you with these last words:

I did it for the lulz.

toodle pip,
James.

Elemenno

F.W.A.H.R.L.D.
Feb 28, 2009
I wish I remembered where I heard it, but I read somewhere that he started getting death threats from somewhere. I guess weezer still has some serious fans. I still enjoy the blue album and pinkerton but I've heard it so often that I don't really need to ever hear it again. I think its like that for me with a lot of those classic 90's alt groups like Nuttkase said Sublime, and also Nirvana. Its not that its not great music, its just that I've heard it to an extent that I don't think I have to ever really hear it again.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
I still love Nirvana personally and a lot of 90s alt music but Sublime, Weezer and a few other bands just got boring sounding to me. I think if Kurt wouldn't have died their sound would have continued to evolve when talking about Nirvana. That's a different thread though lol.

Palmer

RIP SouthernComfort
Apr 10, 2006
SEAHAWKS!!!
Weird, I know my bro inlaw talks to him and I know he wouldn't lie to me, I wonder why the info is different. I'm going to see James on Saturday and I've talked to him a couple times so I'll try and see what he has to say.

Palmer

RIP SouthernComfort
Apr 10, 2006
SEAHAWKS!!!
Much to James’ surprise, he did raise the 10 million, but one contributors bid of over 9 million was a joke as far as I can tell. But you know what, when I Googled, “Weezer Quits” I found a stupid article from last year where they are quoted as saying, “we dont even know if we will be a band next week.”

http://coldcoldlake.com/