R.I.P. Teena Marie

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Sicc OG
Sep 12, 2002
It is with great sadness to report that it has been confirmed that soul legend, Teena Marie, passed away at 54 years-old. At this time, the cause of death is not known but TMZ is reporting she died in her sleep last night.

Lady T, as she was known, was born Mary Christine Brockert in Santa Monica, California. In 1976 she signed with the legendary Motown Records and her debut album, Wild and Peaceful, was released in 1979, which garnered the hits “I’m a Sucker For Your Love” and “Déjà Vu (I’ve Been Here Before).”

It was Marie’s collaboration with Rick James that catapulted her to super stardom. Most notably, the duet “Fire & Desire,” which Marie performed for the last time with Rick James at the 2004 BET Awards.

Teena Marie had the unique experience of being one of few White artists to be so strongly embraced by the African-American community. She was a fixture in the early days of BET and always had consistent airplay on R&B radio.

On a personal note, I interviewed Teena Marie twice. She was just as I thought she would be — kind and down to earth. Back in May 2009 we talked about her latest album Congo Square and I asked “When you get to heaven, what is the DJ playing?” — she responded with:

I’m sure it’s Aretha Franklin. I’m sure it’s something off the Amazing Grace album. Probably, Aretha Franklin “Wholy Holy.” I hope when Rick James went to heaven they played Aretha Franklin “Wholy Holy” too. He loved her as much as I did. I have a lot of beautiful moments riding around with him in his Rolls, me and him just playing Aretha all day.