Music News

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

infinity

( o )( o )
May 4, 2005
UOENO, CA

Folk singer Richie Havens, best known as the man who opened Woodstock, has passed away.
Havens – responsible for classic 1960s folk tracks ‘Handsome Johnny’ and ‘Freedom’, as well as memorable covers of The Beatles’ ‘Hear Comes The Sun’ and Bob Dylan’s ‘Just Like A Woman’ – died of a heart attack on Monday. He was 72.
After spending his formative years singing in doo-wop and gospel outfits, the Brooklynite found his feet and his sound in Greenwich Village in the late 1950s and 1960s. Under the patronage of Bob Dylan’s manager Albert Grossman, he broke through with 1967′s Mixed Bag – a creolization of folk, blues and jazz, and one that would set the template for almost 20 more studio LPs over the next four decades. His real moment in the sun arrived at 1969′s Woodstock Festival, which saw him famously bumped up the bill at the last minute to open the festival.
Havens’ musical life was an eventful one. He appeared in a number of films and plays: he performed in the stage version of The Who’s Tommy, and cropped up in Richard Pryor’s Greased Lightning and Bob Dylan biopic I’m Not There, amongst others. He also performed at President Clinton’s inauguration in 1993, and worked with Peter Gabriel, Bill Perry and Groove Armada.Havens’ last studio full-length was 2008′s Nobody Left To Crown. Having toured for in excess of 45 years, Havens retired from music in 2012 due to poor health.

source

infinity

( o )( o )
May 4, 2005
UOENO, CA
R.I.P. Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman

The guitarist and co-founder of the metal giants was 48.
Jeff Hanneman passed away this morning after suffering from liver failure. Slayer announced the sad news in a post on the band’s Facebook page:
Slayer is devastated to inform that their bandmate and brother, Jeff Hanneman, passed away at about 11AM this morning near his Southern California home. Hanneman was in an area hospital when he suffered liver failure. He is survived by his wife Kathy, his sister Kathy and his brothers Michael and Larry, and will be sorely missed.
Our Brother Jeff Hanneman, May He Rest In Peace (1964 – 2013)

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
Archy Marshall, the precocious Londoner who's released music under a handful of different names, is planning his debut album as King Krule. Following 2011's very promising self-titled EP, 6 Feet Beneath the Moon will be out on August 24 via True Panther and XL. Marshall produced the record along with Savages/the xx collaborator Rodaidh McDonald.
Listen to the album's lead single, "Easy Easy", below. The album also features "Out Getting Ribs", the breakout track that Marshall released in 2011 under the name Zoo Kid.

1 Easy Easy
2 Border Line
3 Has This Hit?
4 Foreign 2
5 Ceiling
6 Baby Blue
7 Cementality
8 A Lizard State
9 Will I Come
10 Ocean Bed
11 Neptune Estate
12 The Krockadile
13 Out Getting Ribs
14 Bathed in Grey

Props: Elemenno

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
St. Vincent’s self-titled fourth LP, out 2/25/14, will also be her major label debut. The album is coming not on longtime home 4AD, but via Universal subsidiary Republic/Loma Vista. The first single “Birth In Reverse,” which was teased in that tour announcement we posted last month, is now available to stream in full below.

St. Vincent was recorded with Actor/Strange Mercy/Love This Giant producer John Congleton and features percussion from Homer Steinweiss (Dap-Kings) and McKenzie Smith (Midlake). “I knew the groove needed to be paramount,” Annie Clark says in the press release.” I wanted to make a party record you could play at a funeral.”

Over the weekend Clark shared bits of the new St. Vincent logo on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. When you pieced them together, you get the StV motif seen on the album cover above.

A few weeks ago St. Vincent received Smithsonian’s 2013 Ingenuity Award in the Performing Arts category. In an interview with the magazine she discussed recording this new album while staying at her mom’s house outside of Dallas:

"I approach my work as I would a day job. If you’re a writer, you have to write. If you’re a musician, you have to make music. I wrote a lot of this new record in a shed behind my friend’s house in South Austin. I would go out there every morning like I was going to work. I wanted to go someplace to write that wasn’t New York. It was February and I wanted to be somewhere warm. When I wrote Strange Mercy, I did something similar in Seattle."

Here’s the St. Vincent tracklist:
01 “Rattlesnake”
02 “Birth In Reverse”
03 “Prince Johnny”
04 “Huey Newton”
05 “Digital Witness”
06 “I Prefer Your Love”
07 “Regret”
08 “Bring Me Your Loves”
09 “Psychopath”
10 “Every Tear Disappears”
11 “Severed Crossed Fingers”

St. Vincent is out 2/25 via Republic/Loma Vista.

north american tour

2/26 - New York, NY @ Terminal 5
2/27 - Boston, MA @ House of Blues
2/28 - Philadelphia, PA @ Union Transfer
3/01 - Washington DC @ 9:30 Club
3/04 - Saxapahaw, NC @ The Haw River Ballroom
3/05 - Asheville, NC @ Orange Peel
3/07 - Nashville, TN @ Marathon Music Works
3/08 - Atlanta, GA @ The Tabernacle
3/10 - Houston, TX @ House of Blues
3/14 - Dallas, TX @ House of Blues
3/18 - Phoenix, AZ @ Orpheum Theatre
3/19 - San Diego, CA @ House of Blues
3/21 - Los Angeles, CA @ The Wiltern
3/22 - Oakland, CA @ Fox Theater
3/24 - Portland, OR @ Crystal Ballroom
3/25 - Vancouver, BC @ The Commodore Ballroom
3/26 - Seattle, WA @ Moore Theatre
3/28 - Salt Lake City, UT @ The Depot
3/29 - Denver, CO @ Ogden Theatre
3/31 - Lawrence, KS @ Liberty Hall
4/01 - Omaha, NE @ Sokol Auditorium
4/03 - Minneapolis, MN @ State Theatre
4/04 - Milwaukee, WI @ Turner Hall
4/05 - Chicago, IL @ Riviera Theatre
4/06 - Detroit, MI @ Majestic Theatre
4/08 - Cincinnati, OH @ Bogart's
4/09 - Columbus, OH @ Newport Music Hall
4/10 - Cleveland, OH @ House of Blues
4/11 - Pittsburgh, PA @ Stage AE
4/12 - Buffalo, NY @ Ashbury Hall
6/13-22 - Toronto, ON @ NXNE

Last edited:

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
i was looking for some deniro farrar shit & saw apparently black lips are on vice records now too, new album on deck in march

Atlanta rock band Black Lips are returning with their seventh studio album Underneath the Rainbow on March 18th. The 12-song set was recorded over this year in New York with the Budos Band's Tommy Brenneck and in Nashville, with the Black Keys' drummer Patrick Carney. "Our main influences [this time] are pretty traditional," bassist Jared Swilley tells Rolling Stone. "It's roots music."

The band promised earlier that there's more of a southern rock and country vibe within Rainbow, but the Black Lips' wild side is certainly prevelant. "Boys in the Woods" is an ode to Lynyrd Skynyrd and growing up in Atlanta that Swilley says is about "doing bathtub drugs and drinking bathtub gin." Others were written the day they were recorded and one in particular, "Smiling," chronicles Swilley's brief stay in prison last year. "[That song is] about how going to jail sucks, because the florescent lights make it hard to sleep, and you have to share five cigarettes with ten other guys all ducking in a corner smoking cigarettes," he says. "[And] how you have to call your mom to bail you out. I wanted to write a song about Gucci Mane but I ended up writing it about myself."

Over the last 15 years, the Black Lips have remained successful due to a committed ethic to non-stop touring and a constant desire to change things up in the studio. But as they forge on, recording hasn't become routine by any means. "I don't think making records gets any easier," Swilley says. "It almost seems like the first one is the easiest because you haven't really used many ideas at that point so almost everything is new to you."

Here is the track list for Underneath the Rainbow:

1. "Drive By Buddy"
2. "Smiling"
3. "Make You Mine"
4. "Funny"
5. "Dorner Party"
6. "Justice After All"
7. "Boys in the Wood"
8. "Waiting"
9. "Do the Vibrate"
10. "I Don't Wanna Go Home"
11. "Dandelion Dust"
12. "Dog Years"

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
L.A. rock band Warpaint have announced that their new, self-titled album will be out January 21 in the U.S. via Rough Trade (and a day before in the UK). The band—vocalist/guitarist Emily Kokal, bassist/vocalist Jenny Lee Lindberg, guitarist/vocalist Theresa Wayman, and drummer Stella Mozgawa—recorded and mixed Warpaint with Flood, minus two songs mixed by Radiohead producer/Atoms for Peace member Nigel Godrich. It follows their 2010 debut The Fool.
Hear a track from the LP, "Love Is to Die", below, and watch a teaser for the album directed by music video luminary Chris Cunningham. He also designed the cover art, above. Cunningham filmed and photographed the album recording process over the course of two years.
Warpaint are on tour in Europe right now. They will perform at Pitchfork Music Festival Paris on November 1. Buy tickets here. Find their full tour itinerary below.
Warpaint:
01 Intro
02 Keep It Healthy
03 Love Is to Die
04 Hi
05 Biggy
06 Teese
07 Disco//very
08 Go in
09 Feeling Alright
10 CC
11 Drive