A Lot Like Birds

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 18, 2003
How did Dance Gavin Dance let this guy get away?

These guys have taken just about every quality out of every band I love and have created a masterful album. This is their second release but first with Kurt Travis as the lead singer.

Elements of post-rock, progressive, post-hc, & expieremental.

"A Lot Like Birds is a 6-8 piece Progressive/Post-Hardcore outfit from Sacramento, CA known for their tendency to experiment with several diverse genre influences and their incorporation of orchestral and ambient sound-scapes contrasted by chaotic, schizophrenic episodes. On January 9th of 2011, A Lot Like Birds announced that Kurt Travis (Ex of Dance Gavin Dance, Five Minute Ride, No Not Constant,... and O! the Joy) would be the new singer and second front-man, alongside Cory Lockwood. With their acclaimed addition, the band quickly signed to Doghouse Records (All American Rejects, Say Anything, The Get Up Kids) and acquired The Artery Foundation (Asking Alexandria, Dance Gavin Dance, Alesana) as management."

Precisely the type of unorthodox approach to music I love coming across.

I'm going to suspend any further judgement until I listen to it some more, but I like this album as much through 2-3 full spins as I have with any album before it that i can remember. I know most of you in here are on some otherwordly type of music, but you gotta at least listen to a few of these songs.

Mar 18, 2003
A Lot Like Birds - Conversation Piece

1. Orange Time Machines Care
2. Think Dirty Out Loud
3. Vanity's Fair
4. Properties Of Friction
5. Truly Random Code
6. Abbr.
7. The Blowtorch Is Applied To The Sugar
8. A Satire Of A Satire Of A Satire Is Tiring
9. Sesame Street Is No Place For Me
10. Tantrum (Far From The Tree, The Apple Grew Rotten)
11. What Didn't Kill Me Just Got Stronger

[download]

Mar 18, 2003
Oh and the guy is lyrically sound. Very good at writing.

Il était une fois (once upon a time)
When learning how to crawl became a substitute for walking
Biting my tongue a fair exchange for talking to myself
Knocking pictures off the shelf and swallowing the frames
Spilling wine just to comment on the stain

Mar 18, 2003
For what it's worth, I was never a fan of DGD either. I was a fan of Jonny Craig's singing, though, and favored Emarosa over DGD. This guy from A Lot Like Birds just served as their lead singer for a couple albums while Jonny Craig was binging. I just think Kevin Travis is loaded with talent and they let him go which is crazy to me. Anyways, this album is definitely different, but IMO is in the top few albums of the year easily.