Classic Albums Pt. 1: System of a Down - Toxicity

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

infinity

( o )( o )
May 4, 2005
UOENO, CA
an internal group just released this & i forgot how sick it is. gotta be at least 4 years since ive heard it and its just pure dope.

Toxicity (album)

Studio album by System of a Down
Released September 4, 2001
Recorded March –July 2001
Cello Studios
Hollywood, California

Genre Alternative metal, heavy metal, art rock
Length 44:06
57:31 (special edition)

Label American
Producer Rick Rubin, Daron Malakian, Serj Tankian
System of a Down chronology
Singles from Toxicity

"Chop Suey!"
Released: November 20, 2001
"Toxicity"
Released: January 23, 2002
"Aerials"
Released: June 11, 2002

Toxicity is the second album by System of a Down. Produced by Rick Rubin, Toxicity was released on September 4, 2001 by American Recordings, debuting at #1 on both the United States, with 220,000 copies,[1] and #1 on the Canadian charts. Toxicity has sold over 12 million copies worldwide and is multi-platinum in the United States.

Toxicity was released without a Parental Advisory sticker, despite a fair amount of minor profanity.

Toxicity received mass critical acclaim, making many end-of-year "best of" lists (such as being named SPIN Magazine's #1 record of the year), and earning a Grammy Award nomination for lead single "Chop Suey!"

This album marks a sonic departure from the heavy guitar riffing featured on their debut album. It is the only System of a Down album not to feature the Parental Advisory label, with only minor profanities. However, a limited edition of the album containing a bonus CD with behind the scenes footage of the making of the album does feature the Parental Advisory label, while a different limited edition containing a DVD with the "Toxicity" music video and live footage also does not feature the label.

Several songs have been featured in various video game soundtracks. In 2002, "Science" and "Shimmy" were featured in the games ATV Offroad Fury 2 and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 respectively.[2] The song "Chop Suey!" is featured in Rock Band 2 in 2008, and "Toxicity" is featured in Guitar Hero: Metallica and as downloadable content for the Rock Band series. The song "X" was originally recorded for the band's 1998 self-titled debut but it was re-worked for Toxicity.

The album is listed in Blender's 500 CDs You Must Own.[3] MusicRadar held a public poll and Toxicity was ranked as 26th greatest heavy metal album in the list of The 50 Greatest Heavy Metal Albums Of All Time. The album is ranked at number 44 in Rolling Stone's 100 Best Albums of the Decade for 2000's.

Digital Dream Door has currently ranked Toxicity at #72 on their list of the "100 Greatest Metal Albums", and #16 on their list of "100 Greatest Albums of the 2000's".

Metacritic (73%)[4]
Review scores
Source Rating
E! Online (A-)[5]
Allmusic 5/5 stars[6]
Q 4/5 stars
Entertainment Weekly (B-)[7]
Alternative Press (9/10) Oct 2001, p.102
Blabbermouth.net 10/10 stars[8]
Kerrang! 5/5 stars
Rolling Stone 3.5/5 stars[9]
Sputnikmusic 3/5 stars[10]

Metacritic a review aggregator website, gave the album an average score of 73% from nine reviews, which indicates "generally favourable reviews"
Don Kaye of Blabbermouth.net gave the album ten out of ten, one of only 21 albums to achieve a perfect rating from the site.[11]
Rolling Stone (9/27/01, p.70) – 3.5 stars out of 5 – "Both manic and schizoid, Tankian veers easily from sing-rap rhythm to Korn-ish hysterics to demonic baritone growl to doomily ruminative....the music insists on forward motion without trapping itself in a thrashy lock-step rut."
Spin (p.89) – "System have an undeniable nerd-prog charm."
Entertainment Weekly (9/7/01, pp.161–2) – "Strange and engaging....It all adds up to bizarro type of metal that has a warped majesty and strength." – Rating: B-
Q magazine (9/01, p.121) – 4 stars out of 5 – "Matches Slipknot for manic intensity while employing a freeform approach to songcraft which invites comparison to the lunatic-fringe rock of the '60s."
Alternative Press (2/02, p.64) – Ranked #9 in AP's "25 Best Albums of 2001."
Mojo (p.54) – Ranked #93 in Mojo's "100 Modern Classics."
Robert Christgau – 1-star honorable mention – "Overarrangements no prob for we who avoid art rock like the plague this means to cure."

[edit] Track listing
No. Title Lyrics Music Length
1. "Prison Song" Tankian, Malakian Malakian 3:21
2. "Needles" Tankian, Malakian Tankian, Malakian 3:13
3. "Deer Dance" Tankian, Malakian Malakian 2:55
4. "Jet Pilot" Tankian Odadjian, Malakian 2:06
5. "X" Tankian Malakian 1:58
6. "Chop Suey!" Tankian, Malakian Malakian 3:30
7. "Bounce" Tankian Odadjian, Malakian 1:54
8. "Forest" Tankian Malakian 4:00
9. "ATWA" Tankian, Malakian Malakian 2:56
10. "Science" (feat. Arto Tunçboyacıyan) Tankian Malakian 2:43
11. "Shimmy" Tankian Tankian 1:51
12. "Toxicity" Tankian Odadjian, Malakian 3:39
13. "Psycho" Tankian Malakian 3:45
14. "Aerials" Tankian, Malakian Malakian 6:13

Special Edition bonus CD[12]
No. Title Lyrics Music Length
1. "Sugar" (live) Tankian Odadjian, Malakian 2:27
2. "War?" (live) Tankian Malakian 2:48
3. "Suite-Pee" (live) Tankian Malakian 2:58
4. "Know" (live) Tankian Odadjian, Malakian, Tankian 3:03
5. "Johnny" Tankian Tankian 2:09
[edit] Personnel

System of a Down

Serj Tankian – lead vocals, keyboards
Daron Malakian – guitars, vocals
Shavo Odadjian – bass
John Dolmayan – drums

Production

Produced by Rick Rubin and Daron Malakian
Co-Produced by Serj Tankian
Mixed by Andy Wallace
Engineered by David Schiffman
Additional Engineering by Greg Collins and Darren Mora
Assistant Engineers: Darrn Mora, Al Sanderson, Ryan McCormick, Jim Champagne
Assistant Mixdown Engineer: Rich Balmer
Additional Vocals/Music by Arto Tunçboyacıyan
Additional Piano by Rick Rubin
Strings Written by Serj Tankian
Additional Strings Written by Marc Mann
Strings Arranged and Conducted by Marc Mann

Photography: Martyn Atkins (Studio), Glen E. Friedman (Back Cover, Water), John Dolmayan, Hallie Sirota
Cover Art: Mark Wakefield
Art Direction: Shavo Odadjian & Brandy Flower
Album Art Concepts: Shavo Odadjian & System of a Down
Inside Collage Art: John Dolmayan & Brandy Flower
Co Label Art: Shavo Odadjian
A&R direction: Dino Paredes
Production Coordinator: Lindsay Chase
Worldwide Representation: David Benveniste, Velvet Hammer Music and Management Group
Recorded at Cello Studios, Hollywood, CA
Mixed at Enterprise Studios, Burbank, CA
Mastered by Eddy Schreyer at Oasis Mastering, Studio City, CA

[edit] Chart performance
[edit] Album
Year Chart Position
2001 Billboard 200 1
UK Albums Chart 13
Australian ARIA Top 50 6
Canadian Album Chart 1
New Zealand Top Album Chart 7
[edit] Singles
Year Single Chart Position
2001 "Chop Suey!" Billboard Hot 100 76
Modern Rock Tracks 7
Mainstream Rock Tracks 12
Australian ARIA Top 50 14
2002 "Toxicity" Billboard Hot 100 70
Modern Rock Tracks 3
Mainstream Rock Tracks 10
Australian ARIA Top 50 39
"Aerials" Billboard Hot 100 55
Modern Rock Tracks 1
Mainstream Rock Tracks 1
Australian ARIA Top 50 36

Aug 3, 2008
www.myspace.com
this album is indeed classic, i had never heard of them until I borrowed from my friend a burned CD-R with their music and videos, my friend never got his cd back
this was 6~7 years ago
I dont even follow them, but they influenced me big time to listen to other genres of music and what not

Dead Blue

Smokin Bud
Nov 14, 2008
CALIFORNIA
am I the only person who finds the words classic and system of a down in the same sentence extremely absurd?

I don't really care for them but the song "lonely day" is the shit.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Probably.

I wouldn't consider it a classic album (I do think it's a great album though) but I could see how others could easily. I haven't listened to them in a long time though. I should throw this on tonight and see how it stood up over the years.

Mar 18, 2003
I've only ever heard the songs released on the radio, and of those, all of them were pretty catchy. But I'm not a big fan of their style, and have never listened to one of their albums. However, being that I'm not a big fan of their style, it's not hard to see how/why people like them so much. I like what they sing about, though. To me that is their main appeal.