Bring Me The Horizon 'There is a Hell" Review

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Dead Blue

Smokin Bud
Nov 14, 2008
CALIFORNIA
01. Crucify Me 10/10

This is how you start an album off! A short yet progressive intro leading into a chaotic storm of sound. Typically this is one of those epic tracks that bands close a cd with. It's fast and just draws you in from the first second. Oli mixes up vocals appropriately, yet almost randomly then a female voice chimes in repeating the albums title again and again before Oli brings it back announcing the chorus "PRAY FOR THE DEAD". 3 minutes in and you think it has to be almost over but instead you get a guitar solo followed by the strange girl's voice again, an electronica breakdown and Oli going off. Eventually things come to a close. "I am the ocean, I am the sea, there is a world inside of me". You really have to hear this track to understand how powerful it is.

02. Anthem 7.5/10 (one of my least favorite tracks)

A familiar beginning and straight into standard BMTH style. I think this was one of the first tracks they recorded. It has a very Count Your Blessings vibe. Fast, loud, and amazingly they keep it up for almost 4 straight minutes. "This is the end, the end of everything!" The guitar work at the 2:25 mark is just awesome. The song ends with an instrumental working as the intro to the next track. Keeps the atmosphere of the CD in line.

03. It Never Ends 9/10

Uhhh FUCK YEA! If BTMH ever played catchy pop it would sound just like this. "It started off as a one night stand, ended up as a fling" This far into the CD and you would expect the energy start to stale but it doesn't. It stays fresh and you can't stop listening. There are some moving lyrics in this song. "One more nail in the coffin. One more foot in the grave. One more time I'm on my knees, as I try to walk away. How has it come to this?" However they're delivered in such a brutal way it gives you a realistic sense about how the world really doesn't care.

04. Fuck 10/10

When this song first leaked, I couldn't stop listening to it. Just played it again and again. It features the vocalist from You Me at Six. At first it has a very punk rock-esque feel to it but slowly breathes it's way into something else getting louder and faster until, silence and you hear a depressing voice seep in. "We're young and in love ...heart attacks waiting to happen". It progresses to make one hell of an outro.

05. Don't Go 10/10

This song starts out with violin work. It's amazing. Oli comes in with a stressful sort of scream. It's clearly audible and just adds to the atmosphere. He tells a little story, and while he references some one else I do think it's just a perspective switch. Half way through, The Lights' vocalists contributes to the vocals with a very sad whisper. This song almost sounds like everyone in it has lost hope. It's just ...powerful. "If I spill my guts ...It ...would... make a mess ...we can't clean up" Oli and The Lights's vocalist share lines with the most epic build and breakdown. "Tell me that you need me cause I love so much" You have to hear this song.

06. Home Sweet Hole 8/10

BMTH take a twist on a classic rock and roll vibe. It makes one hell of a song. The chorus is too catchy. (all sing a long) "HOME SWEET HOLE". This song rocks out hard. more fun, less serious than the rest of the album. The second chorus really pics up when Oli stops singing and goes into his infamous growls.

07. Alligator Blood 8.5/10

Another one of those loud fast, "fuck you" kind of BMTH songs that made them so well known. This one has more of a Suicide Season vibe.

08. Visions 9.5/10

Chug. This song is just nuts. If anyone has any doubts why BMTH has rights to the thrown, this song should answer all questions. Not much to say, it's just metal at it's best. This song reminds me a bit of the band Darkest Hour.

09. Blacklist 10/10

FUCKING AWESOME! This is what happens when metal meets rap. Oli literally raps this song. It just comes out sick. The beat is sort of chuggish but not quiet and it keeps you interested. "BLLLLACCCKKKKKLIST!!!!" "With friends like you, who needs enemies".

10. Memorial - Rating NA

This is just an intro for the next song. It has good atmosphere and ties in with the theme of the album well.

11. Blessed With A Curse 10/10

If all the atmosphere on this album was to just build up to this song, it was well worth it. If you take the previous track "Don't Go" and gave it an exact opposite sentiment vibe you would end up with this. Slow epic guitar work. "Take back every word I ever said to you" Oli really does everything he can to deliver the best vocals. The guitar solo at the end is just flawless and when it drops to silence only to lead back in with a Santana-ish vibe you can't help but be tempted to play the track again.

12. Fox and The Wold 8/10

While the previous track would have been a sweet way to end the album they decided to include this track as a bonus little gem. It features The Chariot vocalist Josh Scogin and kicks ass. Definitely feels like BMTH meets The Chariot, especially considering it's only a minute and forty two seconds.

Overall, this album kicks ass. I have to give it a 9.5 out of 10. It's not perfect but it's damn near close.

Click here to buy it

Preview