ATTN: Lydia is back together, get the fuck in here

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 18, 2003
Exclusive: Lydia to release new album, frontman announces side-project
May 17, 2011 by Tim Karan

Lydia frontman Leighton Antelman has exclusively revealed to Altpress that he and drummer Craig Taylor will bring the band back from hiatus to record a new album this summer. Antelman says you can expect the full-length by late summer or early fall. Lydia went their separate ways last year after seven years and three full-lengths.

He says, "After what was a crazy year of writing, recording, performing, moving to California, and much thinking, I have a few things I'd like to share. I wrote a full+ album over the past year and am about to fly to Atlanta in a week and a half with Craig (Lydia's drummer) to track and record it. I've had a lot of time to think over the past months and would like to announce a few things formally. Lydia is going to be putting out a brand new full length album during late summer/early fall of this 2011 year. If it were up to me Lydia would have never have had to break up. It was never my intension in any way, but there were a few things out of my control. There's nothing I can do about that now, but would like to say that these problems are all done and gone. Our amazing fans' continuous emails and support for more Lydia music makes me smile. As futile as you might have thought all your emails were, they were not a waste. I am beyond excited about this new full length album we are recording this month. Craig and myself have always worked very hard in the studio to bring you Lydia records, and we will do so once again in a few weeks. I can't wait until you all can hear this."

In addition, Antelman tells us about his collaboration with producer Matt Malpass called the Cinema. He says, "The Cinema are releasing our first track and an introduction video today as well, check that out at facebook.com/thecinemamusic. We have been writing and recording music for some months now and are ecstatic to finally be able to release this. There's going to be a few more tracks coming out in the coming weeks so pop em in that Walkman, hit those streets. You can visit all the Cinema's pages for the latest on everything."

Check out the artwork for the Cinema's new single below.

Mar 18, 2003
This is the best news I've heard in a long time. They have been pretty much my favorite band over the past several years. I felt this year was shaping up to be a great year in music and for there to be another Lydia album in the mix, it's going to be just that. If you could share in just part of the joy that I feel right now, then you must be pretty fucking excited, to say the least.

Mar 18, 2003
don't care without Mindy
I'm interested to know why you feel this way? She was never an integral part of the band. The first album (This December...) which displayed a considerable amount of female vocals - it was not even her on the album, it was Maria Sais De Sicilia. Once Maria left the band, Mindy joined and served mostly as backup/background vocals on the next two albums. Off the top of my head she had one song where her vocals were really displayed and that was "Now the One You Once Loved Is Leaving", other than that she really wasn't used all that much and probably had little to do with the writing process. With that said, she is very beautiful and has a great voice. And it is unfortunate that she was so under-utilized. However, I do not believe the sound of the band will change very much at all. And I believe they are nonetheless fucking awesome.

Have you listened to her post-lydia project? She has a new band called States, and they're not bad at all.

States - Line Em Up EP [download]