New Def's Interview w/ Legendary West Coast Emcee RAS KASS

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 26, 2014

What's your opinion on the current state of Hip Hop and the direction it's going? Not just the music but the culture?

Its pretty much always feel like its 50/50... There's always going to be good music, or at least aesthetically music I like, and then things I probably dont like as much that are a little bit more commercial and driven to consumers, not neccesarily fans of the culture of hiphop. But thats given. My logic is to be PRO ACTIVE as opposed to taking that energy and being negative or complaining about it. I always say support the culture and the things you think are dope, as opposed to spending that energy complaining about the things that aren't aesthetically pleasing to you.

When did you first start writing and performing music, and what was your inspiration to do so?

I first started writing... and wasnt very good at it... probably around '91. I tried to write a rap for my neighborhood in watts. It wasnt very good. I can remember writing that rap... the 99 east side hustler rap. My inspiration I would say was the homie, a G from our neighborhood, his name was Rap Capone... he was cool he used to walk down the street with the big radio like Radio Raheem. He was like a real G, all the girls liked him, he had the fresh cut and he would always be playing dope rap music. He was one of my early motivation period, so shouts out!

When and where was your first live club or concert performance? What was it like?

My first live club performance... Im sure I had some before as a second mic to VooDoo and Mean Green, but I vividly recall my first actual Ras Kass performance. I was at Unity. Unity was a Hip Hop event that was created by Bigga B, rest in peace, and ORLANDO[​IMG] from Loud Records. It was one of the first true Hip Hop venues in LA. It was crazy, we had just put out vinyl for Remain Annoynamous and Bigga B asked me to perform. I was surprised nobody boo'd me (LOL).... and then he gave me some money and it tripped me out because I did not see that coming. I was sold after that because on the low I would have done that shit for free. It was dope. Unity was a venue that Alchemist and Evidence and Xzibit and anybody from the west but even the east coast MCs had to come through... Wu Tang Clan, Busta, Jay-Z, everybody had to go through that venue. That's what gave many of us an opportunity to be heard in LA.

What are some of your favorite "new" hip hop artists? Guys that have debuted within the last 5 years or so?

My favorite new Hip Hop artists? Im going to overlook so many people.... but Ill give a few. I think J Cole is doing a great job, Ab-Soul is repping C-arson well, I like Westside Gunn, Spit Gems, Rock Marcy... there's a lotta MCs... there's a lot more.

Name your top 5 mc's of all-time... Your starting line-up!

My top 5 MCs of all time is a hard one... but im gonna say My number one is KRS-1. The rest in no particular order... Im gonna go with Pharoah Monch, Black Thought, and then Ras Kass twice.

What is your favorite Ras-Kass song?

I dont have a particular favorite song. I have some great memories, of how I made them or some of the things that happened in the studio or whatever... but I would say that one of my favorite songs is 'Write Where I Left Off'... which is a lot of homonyms... and E-40's at the end of it. Most people never heard of it but I think it's an incredible record.

Tell about your most recent projects and what you are working on next? And Where can fans make a purchase ?
My most recent project is Barmageddon. I think there's some dope records on there. That's a solo record... and then we recently dropped the Blasphemy project which is a collab between Apollo Brown and myself. You can get that at MelloMusicGroup.com and ITUNES[​IMG]. You can get Ras Kass projects at RasKass.Bandcamp.com for merch. Next up, Im working on an untitled project with a producer out of Miami called Jack Splash, so look out for that!

Who are your top 3 favorite producers of all time, in order?
I cant name my top 3 producers in order... Definitely some of my favorite are Dre and Premier. The dudes that do Rick Ross, Im a fan of them, Justice League. Just Blaze, Dilla, Pete Rock... a lot of people make some ill shit. Top two would be Premo and Dre.

Any favorite clothing stores in LA?
I have no favorite clothing stores in LA. Gucci maybe, but I dont shop there I dont have enough money for that shit.

What Defines You?
What Defines Me? I would say Descartes, the duality of man. Very conflicted, dealing with the higher nature and the lower nature and trying to express that into music is kind of what the theme in all my music is about. That Im a hypocrite.. that I care about the world but that Im selfish and I want a lot of money and shit.

Thanks Ras!!