Don't Bite the PHUNK: Bruno Mars doing his Kokane/Suga Free impression

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 3, 2002
but weren't kokane/sugafree just inspired by funk from the 80s?
definitely.

I like the song actually, and of course Kokane and Suga Free---pretty much all west coast rap was P-Funk influenced.

Really enough time has passed between Street Gospel or Funk Upon a Rhyme to Bruno Mars that it's pretty safe to imitate their style and it not be considered biting or whatever. Maybe I got a a little carried away with the title of the thread.

45Yr Old Virgin

Franchise War Veteran
Apr 25, 2002
Cuckanada
yourethemannowdog.ytmnd.com
i wasn't that serious about the post. i looked up who produced it and it's two groups called shampoo, press & curl and some other production team called the stereotypes.

i find these music writer folks kind of off in what they claim this song is

"24k Magic" is a retro funk, disco and R&B song,[17][18][19] influenced by hip-hop.[20][21] It starts with a Talkbox vocal which was compared by Hugh McIntyre from Forbes to Tupac Shakur's "California Love".[20] American music magazine Rap-Up has describe the track as "synth-heavy..retro funk".[21] The recording is complete with a talkbox.[1] The song is heavily influenced by the sounds and styles present in the 70s and 80s.[20] Lewis Corner of Digital Spy commented that the song is more like the "smooth '80s electronica and hip-hop" than the "'70s groove of "Uptown Funk".

May 25, 2005
The millenials are so off with their shit regarding this track...i heard kids claiming it was vintage 70's...another chick said ok it starts off with autotune...intro wasnt even done and she sighs and says is this going to sound like t-pain the whole way through? Lol foh

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
bruno mars jacked dam funk like a muthafucka. im suprised no ones mentioned that.

dam funk had southern cali on FIRE around 2008-2011. i repped dam funk hard on my radio show. after that, snoop did an album with dam funk. LA was behind dam funk hard. and shout out to XL middleton that took a position of power with the funk and has been seriously at it.

really i think bruno mars just took what was hot and didnt completely blow up financially wise, or commercially wise, and made it happen because of the big machine behind him. but that sound, the funk, had been big for the last 5 or more years, seriously.

i dont know how i feel about bruno mars taking that, but at the same time, no one else took it. im more happy that funk got brought back then all this house, techno electonic shit. but really he owed a hat tip to dam funk.

if u really want the king of modern funk music look no farther than dam funk. next up is my nigga XL middleton. but bruno mars had the machine behind him like i said. hes no where doper than them two tho.

Last edited:
May 25, 2005
I cant lie though, i peeped the bruno mars album and that shit goes overall...major throwback sound on there..peep chunky, calling all my lovelies and finesse..

T.C

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
I think the Bruno Mars song is influenced by George Clinton more so than Suga Free/Kokane...If you wanna hear bitting of Suga Free/Kokane, listen to Y.G's Twist my Fingaz song. That song is way more blatant.