DJ QUIK & KURUPT ALBUM IN THE WORKS

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
DJ Quik & Kurupt Unite for "The Blaqkout" LP - By : LilJay - April 1, 2009

Here is the official press release for the highly anticipated collabo album "Blaqkout" by DJ Quik and Kurupt:

Multi-platinum producer & recording artist DJ Quik, and Dogg Pound affiliate & gangster rapper extraordinaire Kurupt are two of the best-known West Coast representatives in Rap & Hip Hop, period. The pair have teamed up to create a cutting-edge sound on Blaqkout, a full-length collaboration album conceptualized during Snoop Dogg’s Ego Trippin’ recording sessions and masterminded by DJ Quik.

“Kurupt does in rap what I do in music,” DJ Quik says. “It just made sense. Kurupt is a gangster rapper in the sense of being raw, bare-bones and uncut. I wanted to do music that evoked certain feelings and could show his microphone superiority.”

A prime example of the duo’s explosive chemistry is “9 Times Out Of 10.” Over a heavy drum assemblage, Kurupt freaks an intricate rhyme pattern about the likelihood of things happening over and over again. “Blaqkout,” is a masterful musical moment where Kurupt’s brutal lyricism matches Quik’s energetic creation. The “Blaqkout” cut is the epitome of Southern Cali rider music that brings a Sunday on Crenshaw Blvd. vibe to mind.

But the track “Hey Playa” (Moroccan Blues) is the gem in Quik’s production crown – he found the sample & inspiration for this track while watching the Morocco episode of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern on TV. It’s this type of sonic bliss that made the partnership between DJ Quik -- a platinum solo artist and producer of Jay-Z, 2Pac, AMG and others -- and Kurupt -- the standout lyricist of Death Row Records, a double platinum member of Tha Dogg Pound and a ferocious freestyle MC -- so significant.

“Blaqkout” will be in stores June 9, 2009.

May 25, 2005
i dont know why yall still trippin on kurupt...drugs, or age took its toll...his flow is weaker, and rhymes just arent that impressive anymore...i was JUST listening to dogg food...damn kurupt ripped that fuckin album to pieces...but now...no way...