station wagon speakers

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
hey i got a box chev wagon, specifically an 89 caprice wagon.i bought some new 4x10's for the back, but there hella big as far as the magnet goes.basiclly the speakers attach to a mounting bracket,but there isnt enuff magnet clearence for the new speakers.how the hell do i get around this? since its a wagon, the speakers are mounted on the back corner "walls"...........

i cant find no web sites/pages for help with this, and my Chilton manual doesnt go over this........

Apr 25, 2002
www.youtube.com
ok first Mr Griswold lol sorry couldn't help it, you need to get speakers with smaller magnet. The bigger the magnet the more power but for mids you dont much power. All you need is about 250w - 300w. They make 4x10s in many different wattage ranges. I would recommend getting some with a smaller magnet and a little less power so that they fit. You also shouldnt need to use the bracket either.

Apr 25, 2002
well i dont know if its a "bracket" technically.the "bracket" screws on four sides to the wall,then the speaker screws to the "bracket" to hoild it in place.........

so get some speakers with a smaller magnet huh? what some decent 4x10's with a small magnet? the clearence is real shallow........

Apr 25, 2002
www.youtube.com
^^I had this problem in a 85 volvo where the window was literally right there. Let me look and ill get back to you, do you have a brand preferance? and price range? and I know what you mean by the bracket. is it like the pic below. if it is like this, they suck big time cause if you dont get it right the first few times you eventually ruin the wall and have to use another side and finally run out of wall to use.
(also this is not my hand its a pic i found on the net lol)

Apr 25, 2002
naw, think of it like a table, an oval table with the middle cut out.you put the speaker in the middle and then screw the "table" to the wall............

price range: under a 100...........no brand preference,jusy no bulls shit tho.........

Apr 25, 2002
www.youtube.com
^^oh the standard brackets that come with them. Why would you use them if these speakers are going in the rear though? I am a bit confused. Why not just eliminate them completely since your dropping the speakering flush vertically correct?

Apr 25, 2002
naw its the "brackets" that came in the car.you can say "mounts".they're what hold the speakers vertical.........i cant eliminate them..........

its not flush,you put the speakers in the mount and then screw the mount into the metal in back verticaly...........its crap the way they set it up.......

this aint my car, but this is what i have.look at the very back corners, very small space per say,well the speakers screw (to the mounts,then) to the metal,behind the plastic interior..........

Apr 25, 2002
www.youtube.com
well some updated news for ya, According to This guide I found, Your car doesnt use 4x10s it uses 6x9s. I looked under caprice and year 87-90. I also doubled checked a few other websites and all kept coming back with the same thing for the rear speakers which was 6x9s. You might want to double check on those 4x10s cause this might just be the problem. Although I do see what you are talking about and that is a tight area to work with. Let me know your findings.

http://www.cardiscountstereos.com/fitguide.pdf

Apr 25, 2002
before i bought the speakers i was pricin them.i'd ask everybody what size my car took and they'd all look in there book or there little website and it'd say 6x9.i never believed'em cus i knew my car, i even asked a few spots if it wasnt 4x10.they all said 6x9.then i finally bought a pair of 6x9's and went to install them only to find out,they are in fact 4x10's..........

Mar 9, 2008
hey i got a box chev wagon, specifically an 89 caprice wagon.i bought some new 4x10's for the back, but there hella big as far as the magnet goes.basiclly the speakers attach to a mounting bracket,but there isnt enuff magnet clearence for the new speakers.how the hell do i get around this? since its a wagon, the speakers are mounted on the back corner "walls"...........

i cant find no web sites/pages for help with this, and my Chilton manual doesnt go over this........

hey homie my boy xraidedloc831 called me up and asked me this question for you and i told him that u need to get some 4x10's that have a smaller magnet...they arent like subs where youll want the larger magnet cuz you wont be putting a whole lot of power to them anyways otherwise your ears are gonna hurt..

Apr 25, 2002
right on ya'll.....

ima look for some speakers with smaller magnets..........

as far as the 6x9 thing, they must figure its the same as a box sedan.but it'd be hard to fit a 6x9 even with modification...........i went to 4 or 5 different spots and they all said 6x9,but thats according to their literature.........