I need Help

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

ThornCity503

Rest In Peace
May 19, 2008
I have a brand new Phoenix Gold Ryval 1000 2 channel watt amp and two 12in Kicker comps. The speakers are wired together in the box and i bridged the amp. It cuts off when I turn it up to a certain point. I tried turning the input on the amp down but doesnt seem to do the trick. I also tried un bridging the speakers and run it off two channels but it sounds like shit. Any ideas? thanks

MKB

Sicc OG
Dec 19, 2002
What is the impedance of the speakers and how are they wired? It seems like they might be wired at too low of an impedance for the amp. From what I found that amp is stable to 2 ohms. If this isn't the problem I would say you are sending the subs too much power and they are clipping, if this is the problem you would need to adjust the gain so that the subs can not clip when you have the radio at the loudest that you would listen to it.

ThornCity503

Rest In Peace
May 19, 2008
Im not too stereo savy, but i think the speakers are 2 Ohm they are wired together in the box so i only plug the speaker wire into one terminal in the back of the box, thats how it came cuz the guy before me who had them was running the subs off a 1 channel amp. thanks for your help man

Apr 25, 2002
www.youtube.com
What is the impedance of the speakers and how are they wired? It seems like they might be wired at too low of an impedance for the amp. From what I found that amp is stable to 2 ohms. If this isn't the problem I would say you are sending the subs too much power and they are clipping, if this is the problem you would need to adjust the gain so that the subs can not clip when you have the radio at the loudest that you would listen to it.

MKB is correct. It sounds like your amp is going into protection mode. What seems to be happening is it works fine at low volume because you are not drawing that much power from the amp at low volumes. When you turn the volume up you are drawing more power than the amp can handle due to the wiring impedance at the amp. It does it fact sound like you need to rewire the subs to the amp as they are wiring incorrectly. Please double check your wiring against what your amp supports and report back here.

Apr 25, 2002
www.youtube.com
^^I would say this is part of your problem lolol. If you dont know how to wire subs then ummm well.....I would say that could be a start of your issue on why your amp is cutting out and why the subs sound like shit lol sorry coudnt help it. Naw Did you see my thread on the main page about sub wiring under "Usful tools" Check it there. There is a very good tool that shows you how to wire your subs. Here I will post the link below for you and I will also post the outcome of how you should wire your subs. Now this is based on your sub specs and amp specs I would wire your subs in parallel 4ohm to the amp unbridged.
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp

1 Ohm Wiring

4 Ohm Wiring

Your amps specs are as follows:

* 1000 watt 2 channel high powered amplifier
* 1000 x 1 @ 4 ohms bridged
* 500 x 2 @ 2 ohms
* 300 x 2 @ 4 ohms
* All new 2007 Ryval series
* Just came out!
* Model: V1502
* 12dB per octave adjustable high and low pass crossovers
* Bypass Outputs
* Built in cooling technology to make sure the amp doesn't overheat
* Extra efficient heatsink operation
* (2) 30A fuses
* aux outputs
* Speaker Level Inputs
* Extruded Aluminum Heat Sink
* Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz
* Crossover Frequency: 100Hz @ 12dB per Octave
* Dimensions: 13.15" L x 9.3" W x 2.25" H

kevp

Sicc OG
Dec 7, 2004
I would wire your subs in parallel 4ohm to the amp unbridged.
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp

1 Ohm Wiring

4 Ohm Wiring

Your amps specs are as follows:

* 1000 watt 2 channel high powered amplifier
* 1000 x 1 @ 4 ohms bridged
* 500 x 2 @ 2 ohms
* 300 x 2 @ 4 ohms
Is there any reason you would run them unbridged? Not saying you're wrong or anything just trying to learn somethin...

Also I believe Kicker Comp's come in single and dual VC...I'd take them out of the box and see how they are wired. If they are wired Paralell (- to -, + to +) and you try to bridge the input to them I believe that would lower the impedence from 4 to 1...not 100% though I'm running off memory after 11 hours at work...but if this is correct then your 2 ohm stable amp would shut off to save itself from blowing.

After thinking about it, if dude was running a single channel amp, he probably ran them paralell. So take one of the subs out of the box, look at the bottom side of it. If there is 2 terminals (2 +, 2 -) you have dual Voice Coils and want to wire it like the pictures in the quoted post say (The bottom pic). If they only have 1 terminal, you should bridge them (IMO). You connect a speaker cable from the - of one sub to the + of the other sub. This leaves one speaker with an open "+" and one with an open "-". Then send wires from your amp to those open inputs (+ to +, - to -).

Hope this helps, any questions, ask....

Apr 25, 2002
www.youtube.com
Is there any reason you would run them unbridged? Not saying you're wrong or anything just trying to learn somethin...

Also I believe Kicker Comp's come in single and dual VC...I'd take them out of the box and see how they are wired. If they are wired Paralell (- to -, + to +) and you try to bridge the input to them I believe that would lower the impedence from 4 to 1...not 100% though I'm running off memory after 11 hours at work...but if this is correct then your 2 ohm stable amp would shut off to save itself from blowing.

After thinking about it, if dude was running a single channel amp, he probably ran them paralell. So take one of the subs out of the box, look at the bottom side of it. If there is 2 terminals (2 +, 2 -) you have dual Voice Coils and want to wire it like the pictures in the quoted post say (The bottom pic). If they only have 1 terminal, you should bridge them (IMO). You connect a speaker cable from the - of one sub to the + of the other sub. This leaves one speaker with an open "+" and one with an open "-". Then send wires from your amp to those open inputs (+ to +, - to -).

Hope this helps, any questions, ask....

The only reason i didnt recommed him to bridge it was cause the amp does not seem like it could handle to power the subs would draw. I could be wrong though I am not always right and other options are always welcome

MKB

Sicc OG
Dec 19, 2002
It shouldn't make a difference bridged or not if it is bridged it will be 500w at 2 ohms to each channel if it is bridged it will be 1000w at 4 ohms on the single channel. Make sure you find the impedance of your speakers because some of the single voice coil subs are 8ohms.