Hooking up subs and amp to TV

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 9, 2003
What's the best way to hook up some JL audio subwoofers with TMA amp to a LCD tv? I knew some people who would do it but it would make their house lights dim for some reason. Apparently that can cause a fire lol.

IN RETURN; ASSIAN

MKB

Sicc OG
Dec 19, 2002
Well the biggest problem is the amp is 12V DC and a regular plug is 125V AC. You can use a computer power supply since computer components are 12V but I am not sure how it would hold up with a big amp. The wiring might not be a big enough gauge, most PSU's have like 18gauge wire and I would think the power could melt the wire. You could hook it up to a home reciever but I think your sub would be a different impedance (usually home theater is 8 ohms). Check out diyaudio they would probably have information on this. Or you could do it the easy way and hook it up to a car battery and just keep charging it. For the signal to the amp it just uses RCA's like it would in your car.

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
well what you do is is grow some lawn in your trunk and connect the wires to the lawn and that should give it enough power to have everything work but if the lawn gets to long it will blow your car up so keep it maintained

Aug 24, 2003
not worth doing that syk0tic, MKB is right

lets say your amp is 2000 watts
at 12 volt, you need ~166 amps to pull that, lol good luck finding a computer power supply that going to pull that many amps. if you look at the specifications on your power supply itll probably say something like 20amps for a 500watt power supply im just guessing, and if you were able to find some thousand dollar power supply that could do it youd just rattle your house apart.

you were right to think hooking it up to a power supply would catch it on fire, its not rated for that and would either fry or catch on fire. the wires that would power the amp would be too small. plus the power supply isnt going to do shit if its not hooked into a computer.. so youll have to mess around wtih it and make it think its plugged in and you might catch it on fire that way, lol.

MKB

Sicc OG
Dec 19, 2002
It's not too hard to get the PSU working outside of the computer you just need to put a jumper wire between two of the wires (I forget which one) but people have done it to have a setup to run a car stereo (deck and speakers only). I think I have also seen someone who used a battery charger to run a sub amp but I am not sure how they did it.