Best type of grass?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Which type of grass do you recommend?

• Bermuda Grass - drought and cold tolerant, resistant to disease and spreads quickly.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • St. Augustine Grass - deep rooted, tough, and fast growing.

• Buffalo Grass - drought tolerant and low maintenance requirements.

• Zoysia Grass - attractive, drought resistant and resilient to wear.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Bahiagrass - good for acidic and sandy soils.

• Kentucky Blue grass - great color and resilient to damage.

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Fine Fescue - takes less maintenance, has some shade tolerance..

• Perennial Ryegrass - can take a beating and is quick to establish.

• Tall Fescue - head, shade and drought resistant and withstands high traffic.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Red Fescue - stable through droughts and tolerant to shade.

• Total voters
Mar 18, 2003
My grandparents lawn has gone to complete shit and rather than spending odd hours trying to improve the lawn I'm leaning towards completely replacing it. Discuss your recommendations, expierences, etc. Looking to put a good amount of money down to get their yard looking great.

Mac Jesus

Girls send me your nudes
May 31, 2003
Also you might want to invest in this motion activated sprinkler, it will protect against any rodents, or animals from wrecking your lawn and flowers

Mar 18, 2003
I like the fact that it is more resistant to weeds, however, I dont want my grandpa to have to mow the lawn every 4-5 days. He's got a bad back and I dont yet have the money to get him the sit-down lawnmower he's been bugging me about. I'm looking for something that needs to be cut every 10+ days.

That sprinkler is fucking dope. He (grandpa) doesn't have a rodent problems but I know a few people who have possums and other unwanted rodents ransacking their yard. I'm definitely going to recommend this to them. Thanks.

Mac Jesus

Girls send me your nudes
May 31, 2003
Kentucky blue grass needs too much water 2 inches per week at least, any less and it goes brown. That's my opinion anyways.

Mac Jesus

Girls send me your nudes
May 31, 2003
Since it's for his grandfather I would recommend the buffalo grass, it only needs mowing once a season and requires very little water.

Mar 18, 2003
Buffalograss is a fine-leaved native grass species that has prospered on the Great Plains for centuries. It has survived severe weather extremes and has evolved into a water-efficient, sod-forming grass of incredible durability.

Buffalograss has become very popular as a low-maintenance lawn grass. This hardy grass greens up two-to-three weeks later than Kentucky Bluegrass in spring, and stays green all summer with little or no care. It goes dormant at the first killing frost and turns a beautiful buff color until it breaks dormancy again in the spring.

Small shoots have hairs on both sides and edges of leaves. The leaf sheath is hairless. Buffalograss has both male and female plants with the male plant having a flag-type pollen head above the stem. The female plant produces the seed toward the base of the plant.

Unlike many native grasses, buffalograss grows as much as 5 inches within 50 days after planting! In nature, buffalograss germinates very slowly, but after a non-toxic priming with potassium nitrate to break down dormancy, germination can occur within 14 days.

With proper weed control, buffalograss spreads fast on runners or stolons (like strawberry plants), but is not a pest. Each node on these stolons sends down a root, which creates another plant. This holds the runner in place.

Buffalograss requires six-to-eight hours of sunlight and does especially well on hot, droughty sites where bluegrass dies out. It requires sunlight and well-drained soil and often is used for erosion control.
I think we have a winner! Mac Jesus definitely knows his lawn business. Thanks for this recommendation my grandpa is going to be thrilled about this.