amp instalation kit?????

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 5, 2004
OK i totaled my last car, got a new car so i gotta start fresh... my shit has been sitting in my room getting in the way. the last amp kit i bought was some shitty one off the internet and it made that annoying ass whining sound when i would step on the gas... im tryna put a decent system in this time, cuz last time i had alot of problems with it

here is the setup i got:

MTX Thunder TA7801
Kicker L7 12" in a ported box

i'm pretty sure i need atleast a 1000watt kit, what do yall suggest?

i already got some brand new rca cables, and i rewired my sub and amp with some monster cable wires so im hoping to get better sound outof it... im trying not to spend a shitload of money so i probably wont be getting any fosgate shit, just something that does the job and has fairly thick wires.

infinity

( o )( o )
May 4, 2005
UOENO, CA
i was gonna say get monster cables, but you already did

the whining couldve been caused by having your cables too long

ideally, you want your cables as short as possible to get the largest flow of electricity or whatever

also, you couldve ran the cables thru a rubber or plastic tubing

google amp kits & get one thats a couple hundred watts over what you need

so maybe a 1200 watt kit

also, a good box can make a huge difference

i personally like 2 12's in a sealed box

Jun 5, 2004
i was gonna say get monster cables, but you already did

the whining couldve been caused by having your cables too long

ideally, you want your cables as short as possible to get the largest flow of electricity or whatever

also, you couldve ran the cables thru a rubber or plastic tubing

google amp kits & get one thats a couple hundred watts over what you need

so maybe a 1200 watt kit

also, a good box can make a huge difference

i personally like 2 12's in a sealed box
well i only bought like 6 ft. of monster cable, its only wired from the sub to the amp(the amp is mounted to the box for now). i been looking at a few kits around 1000w, but im wondering if a 8 gauge ground wire is big enough.

oh yeah, howd you wreck your shit?

drunk?
yea well i was from the night before lol still blacked i dont even know what i hit. i guess i crashed and just drove away, drove home with a totaled car lol. crazy that my shit was still drivable even though it was totaled and looked complety fucked up

i went and filed a police report and i guess the person i hit didnt have insurance or something so they didnt even file a report. so technically the hit & run is blamed on them because they didnt report it. i got lucky.

infinity

( o )( o )
May 4, 2005
UOENO, CA
yeah, cant complain there. i hit the back of a parked semi truck in front of the popo station 2 super bowls ago. i was on ambien & 5 beers

woke up the next morning like "how the fuck did i get home? wheres my jeep?"

about the 8 guage - yeah, thats perfect :thumbs up:

MKB

Sicc OG
Dec 19, 2002
Yeah I took a look at the amp and that thing needs a lot of power you might even need 2 gauge depending on how far you have to run the wire. Those kits say 1000W and come with 8 gauge but they mean 1000W max which doesn't mean too much.

Jun 5, 2004
yeah, cant complain there. i hit the back of a parked semi truck in front of the popo station 2 super bowls ago. i was on ambien & 5 beers

woke up the next morning like "how the fuck did i get home? wheres my jeep?"

about the 8 guage - yeah, thats perfect :thumbs up:
damn lol. yea i aint drink and driving no more after i wrecked my whip.
Yeah I took a look at the amp and that thing needs a lot of power you might even need 2 gauge depending on how far you have to run the wire. Those kits say 1000W and come with 8 gauge but they mean 1000W max which doesn't mean too much.
good lookin. i forget how my sub is wired but i know ur right that amp does need lots of power. yea now im gonna look at 4 or less gauge cuz im probably gonna have to run like 16 feet

MKB

Sicc OG
Dec 19, 2002
Does anyone know where to get a good deal on a kit? These things are too expensive to ship even if you find a good deal. I tried to find one on overstock.com since they have free shipping but I read the reviews and they said that the kit says it is 4 gauge but the outer casing is four gauge and the actual wire is 10. Now im worried about buying one online. I did find some sites where they sell good quality wires separately and by the foot but I have to see if it is close to the same price that way.

MKB

Sicc OG
Dec 19, 2002
Does anyone know where you can get a cheap power wire? I need a 4 gauge power wire and I went to this electronics store in berkeley but it was like $1.50-2.00 per foot and he was out of red. I tried the auto parts stores, home depot, ACE (they said they had 6 guage for .89 a foot) and a few other places. I just need the power wire not a whole kit my car is already wired with an 8 gauge power wire.

Apr 10, 2006
yea i recommend gettin da 4 gauge power wire because it's just gonna mean you'll be gettin more power to the amp and then if you ever get a bigger amp then you'll already have a big enough wire already set up and won't have to rewire it. how well do those kickers sound? i'm running a 10" rocksford P3 right now in an obcon box with a 1500watt fosgate amp. sounds pretty good but i was wonderin bout those kickers. also a ported box is good but try to see if you can find the Obcon type of boxes. these boxes basically double the sound of the speaker with the maze-type style of the box.

Jun 5, 2004
^the kickers thump but the sq aint that good. good if u dont listen to fast music like techno and rock...

btw i ended up getting a 4 gauge kit, good lookin everybody... once i get my car fixed out the shop i can get my shit installed finally