Your current outlook on Rap?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

What is your current outlook on Rap

• Yes, I'm pleased with Rap right now.

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • No, the shit is shit.

Votes: 16 64.0%

• Total voters
Sep 3, 2002
Things got pretty shit there for awhile...

But 2011 so far, man...

You got

Nipsey Hussle-The Marathon
L.B.C Crew - Haven't you Heard
Key Loom-When Animals Attacc Vol. 1
Saigon- Greatest story Never Told.
Twisted Insane- Hells Kitchen

"It's the return of the gangsta."

I'm pleased so far.

DJ Quik on the way.

Ry

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • Ry

Ry

Im hanging onto this rap shit by a thread. Im almost done with it. 95% of the shit I listen to now is old shit. The only new stuff im anticipating is Quik and WC...

fillyacup

Rest In Free SoCo
Sep 27, 2004
there has always been wack shit music. with technology and media money making machines we just hear more of the wack ass boolchit.. theres good music everywhere, just got to find it

and by music i mean rap....music = rap... substitute it

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
^ basically what he said, there was plenty of bullshit in the 90s when everyone likes to say the golden era took place as there is today. The technology of today just makes things so easily available. Back in the 90s you would have to buy a tape or CD to know if the shit is good or not. Today you can get the album for free before the shit is even in the stores, in my opinion it makes it easier for people to write albums off or sleep on good stuff before allowing the ample time it takes for albums to soak.

Sep 3, 2002
^ basically what he said, there was plenty of bullshit in the 90s when everyone likes to say the golden era took place as there is today. The technology of today just makes things so easily available. Back in the 90s you would have to buy a tape or CD to know if the shit is good or not. Today you can get the album for free before the shit is even in the stores, in my opinion it makes it easier for people to write albums off or sleep on good stuff before allowing the ample time it takes for albums to soak.
You're right. I don't know if you were the same person who said this in another thread, but the way I listen to music has definitely changed. And I learned that from someone on here. It's true.

I remember I had Method Man's Tical Prequel on Tape, and I listened to it so many times, I know the words and all that, but in retrospect that CD's not that good.

Apr 2, 2010
yeah there is more hip hop or rap these dayz but most of it sucks.

90's rap is alot better than most of the new shit.

get your facts straight.
The fact is if anything the 90's were the downfall of hip hop when artists started selling out. Take this interview for example where even a innovative artist like Canibus completely got screwed over by the bitch (whos a major exec. at Interscope) you see sitting next to him. When asked what is the future of Hip Hop she stated "Hip hop will be bigger than ever, I think that hip hop will be crossing over into the alternative and pop, I mean it already has but its funny now the alternative and pop bands are using hip hop beats, and using hip hop artists to produce their tracks. So its definitely crossing over and vice versa as well."

In short, Rap became nothing more than a popularized sell out genre from hip hop. When you hear all this new shit coming out that sounds exactly like pop records its because they were already buying out talented artists to go that route.

Is 90's mainstream rap better than now? Yeah, but hip hop as a whole has progressed and independent artists are always grinding hard to put out real records you would never hear in the 90's.

Thats knowledge for ya, it could just be your lack of not knowing newer artists though. Give me a few artists you liked from the 90's and I bet I can find some newer artists you will like.

Jan 9, 2009
threads like these are hilarious because niggas always end up soundin like grumpy old men

"BACK IN MY DAY..."
"NONE OF THESE NEW NIGGAS CAN FUCK WITH.."
"I REMEMBER WHEN..."
"I DONT FUCK WITH NONE OF THIS NEW SHIT, BECAUSE.."

#swag

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
You're right. I don't know if you were the same person who said this in another thread, but the way I listen to music has definitely changed. And I learned that from someone on here. It's true.

I remember I had Method Man's Tical Prequel on Tape, and I listened to it so many times, I know the words and all that, but in retrospect that CD's not that good.
I was making a similar argument here:

http://siccness.net/vb/showpost.php?p=5505067&postcount=19

And it is indeed true, in fact it applies not only to listening to music, but to making music itself and many other aspects of life - technology has made us a lot more superficial, it has shortened our attention spans and that is a problem...

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
Things got pretty shit there for awhile...

But 2011 so far, man...

You got

Nipsey Hussle-The Marathon
L.B.C Crew - Haven't you Heard
Key Loom-When Animals Attacc Vol. 1
Saigon- Greatest story Never Told.
Twisted Insane- Hells Kitchen

"It's the return of the gangsta."

I'm pleased so far.

DJ Quik on the way.
Well, the L.B.C Crew album was recorded in 1996 so it doesn't count. And I didn't really like the others you listed but OFWGKTA is indeed a breath of fresh air... Question is how long they can keep it up and whether they will not be smothered by their own success - hip-hop is full of examples of fresh new concepts coming out of nowhere being exploited/copied to death and quickly played out as a result, Das EFX having to change their rapping style because everyone were copying them around 1993-1994 coming immediately to mind; also, Wu, to which people often compare OFWGKTA essentially killed their own movement with too many side projects of low quality, etc. When you see Busta Rhymes rapping about raping his girlfriend in some dark basement over some insane beat, you know it has become too late...

Feb 28, 2008
If you are still hanging onto 90's rap just give up now.

Music progresses, it's not going back to that style....so if your sittin here wanting gangsta rap to make a comeback dont hold your breath. That shit's played the fuck out anyways and has pretty much became a parody of itself.

Anyways I see a good future for hip hop. This light hearted party music era will come and go just like it always has. There is plenty of good artist's coming up, you just gotta get outta your hole and have an open mind towards it.

Feb 10, 2009
South Sacramento
If you are still hanging onto 90's rap just give up now.

Music progresses, it's not going back to that style....so if your sittin here wanting gangsta rap to make a comeback dont hold your breath. That shit's played the fuck out anyways and has pretty much became a parody of itself.

Anyways I see a good future for hip hop. This light hearted party music era will come and go just like it always has. There is plenty of good artist's coming up, you just gotta get outta your hole and have an open mind towards it.

I disagree, Gangsta Rap aint dead yet.....all of the rappers that are bein sell outz and makin soft mainstream rap with autotune is fake shit. the mob-shit needz 2 make a comeback......and this is a gangsta rap website so i don't know why so many people that post on here talk down on people wanting the gangster mob shit to make a comeback.

it says on the top of the screen under SICCNESS.NET- #1 GANGSTA RAP SOURCE , so if all u guppies dont like it u should post on a different website.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
I disagree, Gangsta Rap aint dead yet.....all of the rappers that are bein sell outz and makin soft mainstream rap with autotune is fake shit. the mob-shit needz 2 make a comeback......and this is a gangsta rap website so i don't know why so many people that post on here talk down on people wanting the gangster mob shit to make a comeback.

it says on the top of the screen under SICCNESS.NET- #1 GANGSTA RAP SOURCE , so if all u guppies dont like it u should post on a different website.
I want my mobb music back just as much as anyone, but I have realized that it's not going to happen and there are deep reasons why.

Music exists within the context of the place and time it was created. And everything has changed so much between the mid-90s and now that I am not sure anyone is in a mood to make authentically sounding mobb music anymore to begin with. You see the same thing with all those people who try to make G-Funk music in Europe - technically it is g-funk, sometimes quite good, but more often than not it fails to capture the spirit of the time when the original G-Funk classics were recorded. Because it isn't the 90s anymore.

On top of that, there are all the issues of how music is made and listened to these days and how the computer has changed everything. Mobb music was never very computer-friendly, neither in its topics nor in the way it was made or intended to be listened to, but music is all computer-centered these days, that's why we have the synthetic sound and the whole "aesthetics" that goes with it.

Then who is going to make it? The people who were making it, in their 30s and 40s. The people who grew up on it are in their 20s and 30s, they are the ones making music now and they aren't making it. The people who will be making music in the 2010s will have grown up on 50 Cent and Kanye West, trap music and silly dances. They aren't going to make it. And who is going to listen to it? Other than those who fondly remember the 90s because they grew up in the 90s with that music or the occasional kid with interest in hip-hop history, usually from Europe or Japan..