Vince Staples Critiques 1990s Rap; Noreaga & Tyler The Creator Respond

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
Chula Vista, South Bay, San Diego, California
Vince Staples Critiques 1990s Rap; Noreaga & Tyler The Creator Respond | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales | HipHopDX

by Victoria Hernandez on October 28th 2015 | 160 comments

Vince Staples Critiques 1990s Rap; Noreaga & Tyler The Creator Respond
"Those 90s Rap albums do nothing for me," Tyler The Creator says.

Vince Staples took to Twitter today (October 28) to express his frustration over headlines that said he thought 1990s Rap was overrated.

"I was born in 1993 in Long Beach, California and I don't remember any of it because I was a baby," Staples says in a TIME video entitled "Rapper Vince Staples Explains Why The 90s Are Overrated," "but I'm pretty sure it was nice. ...90s get a lot of credit. I don't really know why. Biggie and Tupac, those are the staples of the 90s. That's why they get the golden era credit. There's not a 50 Cent in the 90s. They don't even have a Kanye. Jay Z's biggest song, his only number one happened a couple years ago."

The "Señorita" rapper responded to people criticizing him for being what they deemed disrespectful to the decade.

"Niggas telling me I wouldn't exist without 90s hip hop as if I don't have a mother or father," he says. "Speaking of such my mother apologized for having me too late to experience Keith Murray and shes sorry for letting you all down. In 1999 I was 7 years old and toy story 2 had just dropped you niggas really think I was worried about hip hop?"

Noreaga was one of those who called out Staples for his comments.

"Just don't call something overrated if u ain't live in it to appreciate its value in the 1st place that's all!!!" he writes on Twitter.

"@noreaga I said I aint listen to it cause I didn't I aint never talk down you tryna say slick shit thats corny," Staples responds.

Tyler, The Creator joined in on the conversation to agree that Staples , who are in their early 20s, are too young to have developed an attachment to 1990s Rap.

"I BE THINKING THE SAME SHIT," the Odd Future rapper says. "LIKE THOSE 90S RAP ALBUMS DO NOTHING FOR ME."

Niggas telling me I wouldn't exist without 90s hip hop as if I don't have a mother or father.
— Vince Staples V @vince staples) October 28, 2015

Speaking of such my mother apologized for having me too late to experience Keith Murray and shes sorry for letting you all down.

In 1999 I was 7 years old and toy story 2 had just dropped you niggas really think I was worried about hip hop?

Just don't call something overrated if u ain't live in it to appreciate its value in the 1st place that's all!!!
— N.O.R.E (@noreaga) October 28, 2015

You a grown man, if you got a problem call Corey Blacksmith for a conversation I thought you was a super thug nigga. @noreaga

V @vince staples ur a grown man too that's y I hit u direct

V @vince staples u win if u wanna tuff talk that's not at all my point young man!!! And I didnt speak down on u just ya statement sir!!

V @vince staples agreed!!! But I spoke on a statement not ya city homey it ain't that serious relax but I will leave it at that!!!

Naw Im from 2N Crip and it wasn't cool to listen to some Eastside shit back then speak the streets that you know https://t.co/34YS0zOxl8

Leave me outta this other bullshit y'all trying to create I spoke he spoke ended!!! Different opinions makes nobody enemies just different!

I never said it was overrated I never said it was bad I never said the 2000s was better I said I remember that era BUT I do run fades.

F @fuck tyler cause you not a old ass man

We care more about a decade of music than we do each other.

Niggas will shit on you because you aren't infatuated with their era of music then wonder why you don't rock with they old ass.

Well, thats my time. Everybody have a good day. pic.twitter.com/4wO8slGuaN

Feb 10, 2006
This is a good read. I'm surprised no one here spoke on this earlier. Maybe they are tweeting Staples back? As good as anything, the golden era of raps is always getting sampled by these new cats but that goes to show no one wants to do their history no more. No more paying homage. Just get your money while you can and act like you got a chip on your shoulder

May 25, 2005
i dont like that he said that..and it light weight angered me..however..i was the same...i grew up on death row, wu, spice 1...that was my era..when the older cats were bumping run dmc and eric b and rakim trying to put me on to that shit..i respected it and got my knowledge up..but i dont and never have bumped that eras shit..

Aug 20, 2006
FLA
i dont like that he said that..and it light weight angered me..however..i was the same...i grew up on death row, wu, spice 1...that was my era..when the older cats were bumping run dmc and eric b and rakim trying to put me on to that shit..i respected it and got my knowledge up..but i dont and never have bumped that eras shit..
This. I'm only a few years older than Staples and Tyler so most of the music I grew up on was from the '00s. I listen to a lot of 90s rap and I like it but it isn't the music I feel nostalgic for. Idk why people are mad about it tho, you're gonna like the music you grew up on.

I also always hated NORE. So fuck him either way.

Feb 10, 2006
J @J-FUNKTION I grew up on all that shit, too. Late 80's early 90's shit. But the difference between then and now is that those artists always paid homage and respected those before them. The ones that kicked in the doors so someone like Staples can walk in with no problems. I think that's what bothered you, because that's what bothered me. And that's why hip hop isn't what it used to be.

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
its the sign of the times with the current generation and the millenials. They have an attitude where it is all about what is going on right now. the past is the past and it does not have to do with anything. you can apply that logic they possess to music, history, you name it.
When I first got into hip hop as a kid I took a very conscious effort to research where it all started from, to get a better understanding.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
This is a total generalization and not just for this topic at hand, I'm not even speaking in a music sense at all, but people thinking that they deserve and are owed homage in any form is always corny as fuck.

Back on topic the only thing cornier is getting obviously hurt that some kid doesn't give a fuck about what you were rocking 20+ years ago.

Sep 3, 2002
I think him citing 50 cent and kanye west is indicative of how little he knows about rap. 50 cent is not a high caliber rapper, he just had a moment back in the early 00s but he's not really included in any "greatest" lists, and his contribution to the culture was overall dispensable to me. Ill take ll cool j, treach, mop, mob deep, etc etc over 50 cent.

Kanye west is dope in different ways, but where the fuck would he be without tribe called quest, De la soul, fugees etc, let alone taking into account him sitting sidelines or working behind the scenes and witnessing a lot of greats from the 90s first hand.

Vince staples buzz currently ain't shit, and probably never will be with this outlook on the game. The top five rappers out right now all know what's up, and are obsessed with the 90s rappers, and pay homage. That why they're successful.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
But those 5 (pretty good idea of who you are talking about) also get called biters quite frequently by a lot of people, including on here, so which is it? Is it only biting when the artist actually likes the music in question and replicates it in some fashion currently but then if someone else doesn't like that music it turns into paying homage when being used in comparison against them? lol

No one else thinks all of that is kinda corny?

Things change, time moves on. It's always been that way and always will be. Your classics are someone elses recycle bin music. Who honestly really cares?

Sep 3, 2002
Yea, just speaking on it.

I mean, I hardly ever hear that term "biting" anymore. I guess swagger jacking is the equivalent. Speaking of, theres a lot of terms in hip hop that you dont hear, and not because theyre played out, but because the standards have changed entirely, so theres no more "realer than real" or "hard as hell" "true to the game talk" its all just "rich as fuck" talk, str8 excess.

But I think the top 5 artists I'm aluding to are pretty intentional when they include a line or melody that comes from an old song. Plus most of the predecessors acknowledge and sometimes respect their young dudes.

Another topic here, but I'm sure were talking about same top 3 at least, id be interested to hear who others give the 4 and 5 spot to. Hmmmm

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
Yea, just speaking on it.

I mean, I hardly ever hear that term "biting" anymore. I guess swagger jacking is the equivalent. Speaking of, theres a lot of terms in hip hop that you dont hear, and not because theyre played out, but because the standards have changed entirely, so theres no more "realer than real" or "hard as hell" "true to the game talk" its all just "rich as fuck" talk, str8 excess.

But I think the top 5 artists I'm aluding to are pretty intentional when they include a line or melody that comes from an old song. Plus most of the predecessors acknowledge and sometimes respect their young dudes.

Another topic here, but I'm sure were talking about same top 3 at least, id be interested to hear who others give the 4 and 5 spot to. Hmmmm
top 5 rappers in the game now in terms of popularity and relevance?

hmmmm

1. Drake
2. Kendrick
3. J Cole
4. Kanye
5. Rick Ross

imo

Feb 10, 2006
And this is how it's done,(coming from a white boy):

If Vince Staples doesn't do his homework quick, everyone will forget about his ass. These artists that Em spoke on people still listen to this day and will never be forgotten

S.L.A.B

Hiphop-TV
Mar 26, 2006
hiphop-tv.blogspot.nl
I really don't give a damn about this. Their are both entitled to their opinion. And I can understand both views and where they are comming from.

Vince might want to watch out what he says though or he else he could get Action Bronsoned by some OG rapper. NORE is not the one to do it but it wouldn't suprise me if someone else did.

Apr 25, 2002
I really don't give a damn about this. Their are both entitled to their opinion. And I can understand both views and where they are comming from.

Vince might want to watch out what he says though or he else he could get Action Bronsoned by some OG rapper. NORE is not the one to do it but it wouldn't suprise me if someone else did.
NORE is a certified bonafied thug nigga who's changed his ways. Yall must not know his history.

Sep 3, 2002
Rasan @Rasan , I'd argue that kanye west is from a slightly older top 5 and doesn't belong with this newer class of mcs.

I think you can replace kanye with big Sean. I'm not a big fan myself, but yea, based on popularity, relevance AND bodies of work, he's up there. He's like kanye successor in a way. He hold the Midwest spot anyways.

And Rick Ross I can see, I don't take issue with his spot, but I just don't like him, and I make the case for Big Krit forthe 4 or 5 spot every chance I get. He's not the most popular or relevant, but as an artist he can hold his own with the other top dogs and he has a proven catalogue.

Vince staples got A LOT of rappers ahead of him from the left coast alone.