A Tribe Called Quest Documentary Release Date Scheduled for July

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
A Tribe Called Quest Documentary Release Date Scheduled for July

http://abovegroundmagazine.com/news...-documentary-release-date-scheduled-for-july/

The controversial film lands an extended release at various theaters across the country.

After unveiling the full-length documentary at this year’s Sundance Film Festival, Michael Rapaport, the man behind the documentary, Beats, Rhymes, & Life: The Travels of A Tribe Called Quest, told Billboard.com in a recent interview that the film will be released to the public this coming July.

Rapaport explained to Billboard.com that the film will receive a nationwide roll-out, with select showings and select theaters across the country. “I’ll be all over the place * wherever they want to send me,” he told the site.

Beginning with the initial release in both New York City and Los Angeles on July 8 — at three theaters each — the film will be unveiled in a number of cities until the final release on August 12 in San Antonio, Columbus (OH), Dayton (OH), Kansas City, Salt Lake City, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Charlotte (NC) and Raleigh/Chapel Hill (NC).

Beats, Rhymes, & Life chronicles the history of ATCQ as they traversed the music industry in their thirteen-year stint as a hip hop group. Starting with footage from their early performances and some new behind-the-scenes footage, the film follows the hip hop pioneers all the way up through their formal split in 1998.

The film was embroiled in controversy leading up to it’s debut at this year’s Sundance Festival, stemming from a string of tweets from legendary ACTQ front man and producer, Q-Tip. The rapper revealed on his Twitter account that there were at least portions of the film that him and the group did not approve of, publicly calling on Rapaport to respect their wishes regarding the movie.

“The differences Tip had, I think, came down to the fact that he’s an artist and a perfectionist who is always in control,” Rapaport told Billboard.com. “He was the leader of Tribe. But I’m making the movie and I have to make the final decisions. He’s accustomed to making all of the decisions. I have thought about it a lot and if somebody made a movie as interpersonal as this about me, I don’t know that I’d be pleased with someone else making the decisions. To me, it’s a love letter to the band.”

The public release for Beats, Rhymes, & Life: The Travels of A Tribe Called Quest will follow the city, theater and date schedule listed below.

7/8

NEW YORK

Sunshine

Empire

Magic Johnson

LOS ANGELES

Arclight Hollywood

Century City 15

Criterion Santa Monica

7/15

SAN FRANCISCO

Metreon

Kabuki

CHICAGO

Century Centre

River East

CineArts Evanston

WASHINGTON, DC

E-Street

Georgetown

Bethesda Row

Shirlington

Magic Johnson

7/22

SAN DIEGO

Hillcrest

BOSTON

Kendall Square

Boston Commons

Embassy Waltham

PHILADELPHIA

Ritz 5

Ritz Center Voorhees

MINNEAPOLIS

Uptown

ATLANTA

Midtown

Phipps Plaza

SAN FRANCISCO – ADD ONS

Shattuck

Century Mountain View

Marin Sausalito

CineArts Santana Row San Jose

7/29

DALLAS

Angelika

Angelika Plano

HOUSTON

Edwards Greenway

AUSTIN

Violet Crown

Arbor

SEATTLE

Pacific Place

Metro

Lincoln Square Bellevue

PORTLAND

Cinema 21

MILWAUKEE

Oriental

DETROIT

Uptown Birmingham

8/5

PHOENIX

Tempe Marketplace

MADISON

Sundancen Cinemas

MIAMI

Regal South Beach

ST. LOUIS

Tivoli

CLEVELAND

Cedar Lee

CINCINNATI

Esquire

HONOLULU

Kahala

8/12

SAN ANTONIO

Bijou

AMC Huebner

COLUMBUS

Gateway

AMC Lennox

DAYTON

Neon Movies

KANSAS CITY

Palace

AMC Studio Olathe

SALT LAKE CITY

Broadway

INDIANAPOLIS

Keystone Art

PITTSBURGH

Regent

NEW ORLEANS

Canal Place

Elmwood

CHARLOTTE

Manor

RALEIGH-CHAPEL HILL

Colony Raleigh

Chelsea Chapel Hill

Oct 2, 2005
I'm going to represent at the Arclight in Hollywood. Been a fan since the beginning.

I saw ATCQ rip Rock The Bells last summer. They were the best live act out of everyone that was there and that included KRS-ONE, Wu-Tang, Rakim, Slick Rick, Lauryn Hill, and Snoop Dogg.