Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards says rap is for 'tone-deaf people'

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
Chula Vista, South Bay, San Diego, California
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/keith-richards-plenty-plenty-article-1.2346653

Some say rock is dead. For Keith Richards, it always has been.

Strange, coming from the architect of the world’s greatest rock ’n’ roll band.

“It sounds like a dull thud to me,” says the Rolling Stone. “For most bands, getting the syncopation is beyond them. It’s endless thudding away, with no bounce, no lift, no syncopation.”

He has even less regard for heavy metal. “Millions are in love with Metallica and Black Sabbath,” Richards says. “I just thought they were great jokes.”

Not that he’s about to jump on the hip-hop bandwagon either.

Keith Richards has kept the Rolling Stones’ sound alive for more than 50 years. Mark Seliger
Keith Richards has kept the Rolling Stones’ sound alive for more than 50 years.

“Rap — so many words, so little said,” laughs Richards, 71.

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.”

If speeches like this aren’t likely to win friends or influence people, they’re ideally suited to a guy who has built a peerless career answering to no one but his own muse.

Speaking to the Daily News in his manager’s downtown Manhattan office, Richards comes off as both a take-no-prisoners critic and a born charmer. He follows every put-down with a wink. (Stay tuned for barbs about The Beatles, Mick Jagger and narcissistic lead guitarists.) Clearly, Richards is a man with a lot to say about music, as well as a burning desire to make more of it himself.

The icon admits to his frustration with the Rolling Stones’ long absence from the studio. Ten years have elapsed since their last studio work, “A Bigger Bang.” And that’s only made Richards more excited to finally get new music out, via a solo album, coming Sept. 18, titled “Crosseyed Heart.”
Keith Richards turns 70 years old today.
Keith Richards turns 70 years old today.
Keith Richards turns 70 years old on Dec. 18, 2013.
Keith Richards turns 70 years old on Dec. 18, 2013.
View Gallery Keith Richards turns 70

It’s Richards first solo work in 23 years, though he fully admits he’d rather it be under the Stones banner. “I had no intention of making solo albums,” Richards says. “I always thought, ‘I’m a Stones man. None shall leave!’ At the same time, we had years of spare time and I wanted to work.”

Richards had been tinkering away at the new album, in between lucrative Stones tours, for more than four years now. He says the initial push came from drummer Steve Jordan, with whom Richards created his two previous solo albums, in ’88 and ’92. Jordan asked the guitarist, "how did you cut 'Jumpin' Jack Flash' or 'Street Fighting Man?' RIchards told him he just went into the studio and found that diamond hard sound with Stones' drummer Charlie Watts.

"Steve said to me, 'I'm a drummer,'" Richards recalls. "Why don't we go into this studio, just the two of us, and see what happens?"

The pair began co-writing material and, over time, the guitarist says, “the damn thing started to blossom under me.”
Richards made a big publishing splash with his memoir “Life.” AP
Richards made a big publishing splash with his memoir “Life.”

To flesh it out, Richards went about reassembling the band that cut his other two solo works, the X-Pensive Winos, which also features session guitarist extraordinaire Waddy Wachtel, keyboardist Ivan Neville and bassist Charlie Drayton. No mere pick-up band, the Winos had already developed a grinding, organic sound as well-synched as the Stones'. “We all gravitated together and I realized I had the potential for the other ‘best rock ’n’ roll band in the world,’” Richards says.

At the same time, he calls the Stones “my baby.” He refers to that band’s inner workings as a “painful democracy,” marked by what he admits are ongoing tensions with frontman Mick Jagger.

Richards wrote about some of them in his acclaimed, 2010 autobiography “Life.” In it, he painted Jagger as something of a snob. “I'll reinforce that," he says. "His daughter, Georgia Mae, was sitting around in my room and she said, 'oh, you know what dad's like. He's such a snob. He can come off that way even to me and the rest of the band,” Richards says. “He comes on the plane and doesn’t say, ‘Hey mate.’

“He’s preoccupied with something really boring,” he adds. “He's a control freak. He likes to know everything that's going on. He lost himself a bit in the details.”

Even so, Richards makes sure to say of Jagger, "he's a hell of a frontman," and "I still love him dearly," while adding "your friends don't have to be perfect."

Richards’ love of lobbing barbs reared its head recently when he called The Beatles’ “Sgt. Pepper” album “a mish-mash of rubbish.”
Mick Jagger and Keith Richards doing what they do best in May at the Fonda Theatre in L.A.
Previous Next

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards doing what they do best in May at the Fonda Theatre in L.A. Richards’ riffs are unmistakable and he often stresses the spaces between the notes. Richards, r., with the rest of the Rolling Stones; he says a lot of current rock lacks syncopation.

Enlarge
Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for TDF Productions
Mick Jagger and Keith Richards doing what they do best in May at the Fonda Theatre in L.A.

He tells The News he wasn’t impressed with another Fab Four milestone — their historic 1965 gig at Shea Stadium. “As a band, they weren’t in sync with each other,” Richards says.

In fact, Richards moved on from his Beatles fandom a long time ago. “When it got to (seeing the guru) Maharishi (in ’67), I gave up,” he says with a cackle.
Not to be licensed for wall decor or fine art prints. No merchandising or other commercial use without Photographer consent.
Previous Next

Not to be licensed for wall decor or fine art prints. No merchandising or other commercial use without Photographer consent. The Rolling Stones in their heyday, 1968, around the release of “Beggars Banquet.”

Enlarge
Terry O'Neill/Getty Images
Oh my, 51 years ago: Keith Richards in 1964.

The candor Richards first established in “Life” made the book so popular it set off a trend in publishers signing every rock star alive to pen their stories. Its blockbuster success took Richards by surprise. “I got the Norman Mailer Award for Christ’s sake,” he says. “I mean, I’m a guitar player!”

In the tome, Richards both reveled in his seminal bad-boy image, and gave it fairer context. Despite his image as Decadence Incarnate, he’s been married to the same woman for three decades, has five grandchildren and, last year, wrote a children’s book.

“I can drag that image around — the Keith with a bottle of bourbon in one hand and a joint in the other,” Richards says. “It’s a ball and chain. At the same time, I take it as a privilege to be taken into people’s hearts and minds. I feel like I’m doing all these things that they can’t do in a 9 to 5 job. In a way they’re saying, ‘Go ahead, Keith.’ They’re giving me license...and I’ve taken full use of it.”

Not that he goes that far with it these days. Drug-wise, all Richards does regularly is smoke pot. When asked about it, he quickly says, “Would you like some?”
Not to be licensed for wall decor or fine art prints Estate Of Keith Morris/Redferns
Richards, here with Bill Wyman in 1971, says he’d rather not have done solo works, but had to because the Stones took off a lot of time.

Richards calls pot “just a lift. It gives you a slightly different perception of your surroundings. To me, pot is just fun. And I’m glad to see the rest of the country is coming around to my way of seeing things.”

The world will also likely come to embrace the charms of “Crosseyed Heart.” It contains some classic Stones-like riff-fests, like the single “Trouble,” along with a range of songs that reiterate Richards’ love of blues, country and soul. Yet the core sound of the disc — that unmistakable “Keith Richards” riff — remains. His swinging, syncopated series of swipes and fingerings remains one of the most recognizable, imitated, and thrilling sounds in modern music. It's as individual, and seminal, as a Chuck Berry riff or a Bo Diddley beat.
Keith Richards and his wife Patti Hansen in New York earlier this year. D Dipasupil/FilmMagic
Keith Richards and his wife Patti Hansen in New York earlier this year.

Richards credits its creation to the phase where he, and Stones drummer Charlie Watts started “to find the spaces between each other. This is a cliché, but it’s what you don’t play. You want to leave a little space here and there.”

“Why don't you just shut up and let the f--g thing groove," the legend says. "That’s the problem with most guitar players. They can’t shut up. They’re playing fantastic stuff but if you don’t give it some room, you’re not going to appreciate it. It becomes a ‘me-me’ ego.”

The M.O. of the Stones counters that. It’s essentially a band with two rhythm guitarists (Richards and Ron Wood), bouncing off Watts’ drums to create something alive in the moment. That wily frisson explains why, in their sustaining live shows, the Stones have been able to beat life into songs more than 40 years old. Richards’ sensitivity to the dynamics of his bandmates makes a sharp contrast to his cranky bluster about the wide swath of music he doesn’t admire. In fact, by keeping his band’s sound alive for 50 years, Richards has proven himself remarkably adaptable and open.

“If you’re in a band, you have to sublimate yourself to each other,” he says. “What’s the point of being in a band when you want to be numero uno? It’s got nothing to do with flash — and all to do with keeping the pulse going.”

[email protected]

:ab:

blunt_hogg559
Jul 6, 2005
crazy how, when you think of rock n roll, it's seen as white people music. but it was invented by the black man.
almost like what they're trying to do to rap (w eminem, mackelmore, iggy winning major awards); an attempt at rewriting history and making rap into white people music.

just a thought.

keith richards is hella old, fck what he's talking bout

mq66

Sicc OG
Jul 23, 2007
crazy how, when you think of rock n roll, it's seen as white people music. but it was invented by the black man.
almost like what they're trying to do to rap (w eminem, mackelmore, iggy winning major awards); an attempt at rewriting history and making rap into white people music.

just a thought.

keith richards is hella old, fck what he's talking bout
Can you elaborate more on how blacks invented rock and roll?

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
Chula Vista, South Bay, San Diego, California
Can you elaborate more on how blacks invented rock and roll?
they say it was created from jazz, blue and gospel.
Chuck Berry and Little Richard were the innovators, the Elvis ran with it and the rest is history. its a good debate nonetheless.
As far as Keith Richards tho, is thoughts about rap music are meaningless as he is not a part of the culture nor has he contributed to it. he is just some 71 year old man who probably only heard a few songs in passing and based his opinions off of that. However, I found it humorous that he was throwing shots at metallica and black Sabbath lol I'm not into rock/heavy metal, but I'd jam to metallica over the stones anyday.

Dec 2, 2011
Mhu thulan
illuminatiguy.tumblr.com
i can understand the sabbath comment, heavy occult themed rock band comes out and their singer is ozzy with silly ass voice. but metallica never sounded like joke, kill em all lyrically maybe, but then again its pretty basic old school heavy metal stuff. maybe richards just doesn't like anything new, just blues rock. who gives a fuck really

Last edited: