Prodigy Talks Reconciling With Nas, Capone Snitching etc

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 27, 2005

If Prodigy ends up being another rapper who fell off after doing a bid in jail, it won’t be because he was lazy or lacked motivation. Since being released on March 7, after serving three years for a gun possession charge, P has already locked in features on the upcoming Curren$y and Alchemist EP, Convert Coup, and Jim Jones’ new album, Capo. He’ll also be releasing an exclusive Complex-sponsored mixtape, The Ellsworth Bumpy Johnson EP, tomorrow. If the recently leaked Mobb Deep-Nas collaboration, ”Dog Shit,” is any indication of where P’s at creatively, then fans should expect a healthy dose of murda muzik.

Interestingly enough, even with all these new songs on the horizon, the thing that seems to have people the most excited is Prodigy’s revealing autobiography, My Infamous Life, which drops tomorrow as well. It is chock full of classic stories involving Nas, Jay-Z, The Notorious B.I.G., Big Pun, Mary J. Blige, and even Lindsey Lohan. With everything going on, when Prodigy stopped by the offices last week, we took the opportunity to speak with him about his current status in regards to G-Unit, and ask about some of the wild stories from his book.

Interview by Toshitaka Kondo (@ToshitakaKondo)

Are you currently signed to G-Unit?
Yeah, basically what happened was, while I was locked up, 50 switched distributors for the G-Unit label. And there’s a clause in our contract that says if there’s no distribution for a period of time, in order to protect us, it null-and-voids the contract. I don’t know how long it took him, but whatever the period of time was in between the distributors, it was enough to void our contract. That was a protection that our lawyer put in the contract for us. It’s in a lot of contracts for most artists.

Just so if there’s no distributor for a label, you don’t get stuck languishing for two or three years.
Exactly. You can go get your money, elsewhere. And when that happened I was always talking to 50 the whole time while I was locked up, and I basically asked him “How are we going to proceed? How are we going to move forward when I get back?” And he was telling me he was interested in negotiating a new deal, with the new situation he’s got, and I was like, “Alright, cool.” Came back home, and we’re still talking about it, throwing ideas around now about how we want to do it, but as of right now we’re free agents.

Are you looking for another label situation?
Right now we’re not concerned with which label it’s going to be. We’re really concerned with making an incredible album. Like never before. To basically solidify our careers, and our legacy for the next 20 to 30 years.

We’ve been in the game for like 20, and we’ve had a good run, so we’re just trying to solidify the next 20 right now. And the only way that you can do that is make sure the music is not just good, that shit has to be incredible.

One of the themes throughout the book was you’re wanting to try going independent rather than signing to a label, especially after parting ways with Loud after Infamy, while Hav didn’t want to be independent. Now you have the opportunity once again to be completely independent.
We had our little differences of opinion when it came to certain things on how Mobb Deep should proceed forward after the Loud situation. And we went through our little back-and-fourth, tug-of-war situation about which way it should be, but at the end of the day we compromised with each other because it doesn’t make any sense for us to be arguing. That ain’t going to put no money in our pocket, so we’ve got to try to think of an idea to make this work.

So that’s what we always do at the end of the day, and that’s what keeps me and Hav going so long. Compared to these other dudes, partnerships or whatever, they fall apart because of creative differences or whatever differences, but me and Havoc are different because we understand the power of our music, and the money that we make off of this shit. The importance of this shit for our families and our future.

Since you’ve gotten out, how many songs would you say you’ve recorded?
>>>>
http://www.complex.com/music/2011/04/interview-prodigy

Sep 17, 2007
first thought..... Why aint Capone get clapped? I didn't even know he snitched like that.

2nd.... Why wasn't tupac mentioned in the interview? If he talkin bout it all and being truthfull and all his dry snitching beating around the bush ass book. Wasn't Mobb Deep the ones that clapped on Pac in NY?

3rd. I dont like it when cats start Debriefing they lives. Fucking Drop Out bitches. Fuck you life.