Notorious B.I.G vs. 2Pac = a ridiculous debate?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 3, 2002
It seems like there's a lightweight movement in the last 5 years to discredit 2Pac. Of course this is after a decade of fans sensationalizing / exaggerating his rap abilities.

First there was Funk Flex's on stage rant + the interview that followed. "Tupac brought Negative energy to the game."

Can you really judge this man's career by the last 3-4 years of his life? Or maybe the East/west bullshit really did sour his legacy? (you decide)

Then I watched this video on one of the Hip Hop websites:

Only 1-2 of them even listed Tupac in their top 5. Granted they're all New Yorkers basically, but seriously? (Chris Rock gets props for saying Scarface, and Ed Lover for repping NAS over Jay-Z") Angie Martinez rates Tupac and Biggie together (wtf?) And they were using criteria like how many 'hits' an artist had, their influence on other rappers etc.

Biggie is a dope rapper. One of the greatest. But as far as his contribution to Hip Hop in comparison to 2Pac ---Not that close at all.

Notorious B.I.G had 2 albums basically

2Pac had practically 8-----all with major HITS that radio still plays to this day.

Are Tupac and Biggie forever linked just because of their beef and ultimately their deaths? Because to me, their careers and legacies don't really match up.

PEople comparing 2Pac and Ice Cube makes more sense to me.

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
If it's a question of who the better rapper is, it's really all subjective and you can't really argue too much with people who like Biggie over 2pac or any other rappers for that matter. It's all opinion. But no one can question the overall contribution 2pac gave Hip-Hop, he just may not be their favorite rapper.

7-1-3 Click

smalltown'n
Jun 24, 2003
the majority of those peoples opinions dont mean shit!! who the fuck are they. besides ed lover and maybe chris rocks.

rosario dawson and some chinese and arab dude i never even fucking heard of? im supposed to let them influence any decision in my top five. weak.

and the majority of the siccness on here will put 3/5 rappers nameless nickname on their top 5 like they have any credentials to selling and making great music.

i cant even name a top 5 of all time. too much pressure. haha.

every rapper should bring something "different to the table"
whether it be punchlines. material, story telling. "TRUTH"-rappers who tell the truth are always a plus in my book. haha. not no studio ass gangstas grabbing the mic and acting hard when the record button is pushed

all i have to say is FUCK GAY Z. faggot ass camel faced looking mother fucker. idk how the hell people even rate his garbage.

2pac has better unreleased material then biggies greatest hits. Personally I only liked a few songs from ready to die and life after death. Biggies best songs were notorious thugs, one more chance remix and the songs he was featured on like 112.

Jay z is terrible. I liked his song from the show soundtrack, 99 problems and the other hit from that album. All the rest of his songs I hate.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
As I have pointed out many times, great rapper and good MC are different categories.

Biggie might have been the better MC, but if go by that criteria, one can compile a long list of MCs that were technically better than him. But very few of them ever released anything approaching the quality of his music.

In terms of body of work, there can be no argument who the greater rapper was - 2Pac. Not just the music itself - the substance it had and the way it transcended hip-hop was something Biggie never approached. And not just Biggie - nobody else has come close.s

Apr 5, 2003
If you removed the 2 coasts from this debate (CA, NY) and asked the rest of the US who the better artist is I feel they would go with Pac. Biggie always comes up as the G.O.A.T. cus the NY heads are always so vocal and come out in major numbers reppin their artists in these types of discussions/debates. But overall I think the world appreciated 2pac's contributions more.
They both were dope in their own right IMO.

Thank god Jay-Z hasn't been clacked yet. NY would erect a statue of him in the center of the city or carve his face in a mountain Mt. Rushmore style. Ya know!

Apr 20, 2003
Me personally, Tupac was great with the stories about life like Dear Mama, Brenda's Got a Baby, Unborn Child, etc..... Dude was a sav tho when he was on the fuck the world tip, always got me pumped up. Biggie had me more with that relax type mode, smoke one and drink!

Feb 10, 2006
Personally, I think an MC and a rapper are the same, I mean the MC has to rap. But the MC can bring the music to life on stage. Tupac was able to do both better than anyone. For what he did for hip hop he really died for every word he "rapped" about and meant it. When Tupac was broke, he rapped about what he saw in the community. When he got big, same thing. And at the end, he felt nothing was left for him to do so he went all out and rapped about that too. In the mean time he still spoke for ALL impoverished people across the world and contributed to the community under the radar. Not one "MC" can say that. Shit, to me Big Pun was a way better MC than Biggie but no one talks about him like all time great unless you are PR and from NY.

Juicy? That was the cut plus the sample was on point with the subject matter, my favorite BIG cong by far!
What I love about that song is the radio version.

"Time to get paid *censored*" pussy ass censorship. Big was talking about the first bombing that basically had no effect. Biggie was dead for 4 years when the planes crashed.

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
Chula Vista, South Bay, San Diego, California
the majority of those peoples opinions dont mean shit!! who the fuck are they. besides ed lover and maybe chris rocks.

rosario dawson and some chinese and arab dude i never even fucking heard of? im supposed to let them influence any decision in my top five. weak.

and the majority of the siccness on here will put 3/5 rappers nameless nickname on their top 5 like they have any credentials to selling and making great music.

i cant even name a top 5 of all time. too much pressure. haha.

every rapper should bring something "different to the table"
whether it be punchlines. material, story telling. "TRUTH"-rappers who tell the truth are always a plus in my book. haha. not no studio ass gangstas grabbing the mic and acting hard when the record button is pushed

all i have to say is FUCK GAY Z. faggot ass camel faced looking mother fucker. idk how the hell people even rate his garbage.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
Personally, I think an MC and a rapper are the same, I mean the MC has to rap. But the MC can bring the music to life on stage. Tupac was able to do both better than anyone. For what he did for hip hop he really died for every word he "rapped" about and meant it. When Tupac was broke, he rapped about what he saw in the community. When he got big, same thing. And at the end, he felt nothing was left for him to do so he went all out and rapped about that too. In the mean time he still spoke for ALL impoverished people across the world and contributed to the community under the radar. Not one "MC" can say that. Shit, to me Big Pun was a way better MC than Biggie but no one talks about him like all time great unless you are PR and from NY.
What I meant was the in music (and not only) technical brilliance and the quality of the final product are not absolutely correlated. We measure how good a rapper is by the former, and how great he is by the latter