Nor Cal vs. So Cal (from a music standpoint)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Which part of Cali has the more tight rappers

• Northern

Votes: 44 69.8%
  • Southern

Votes: 19 30.2%

• Total voters
Feb 8, 2003
2Pac represented the West Coast..... he rapped with Digital Underground from the Bay then he represented L.A. when he was with the Row..... no doubt it ain't where your born it's where you live and who you connect with... look at the Dogg Pound... Kurrupt was born in Pennsylvania... but The Dogg Pound reps Cali...

2Pac = West Coast

Pac was claiming the east coast at first look at his juice, strictly for my niggas, me against the world days he wasnt worried bout the west back then.

also he lived In Harlem, Manhattan, Brooklyn, New Jersey, Maryland, Alanta so thats not the point all its saying is that he was one moving muthafucka.

Im still not labeling him as no west coast artist. He was in his own league if anything he was universal.

Feb 7, 2006
In one of his tracks before he was on the row, he start out wit an east coast nigga dissin him than a west coast nigga diss him then he basically say fuck you too both of them. He said born in the east had to move to the west to reclaim my game. But whatever you wanna label him he is a west coast rapper. east coast nigga, southern nigga whatever you say, he a west coast rapper. But by your logic, niggas with strictly west coast swag should be considered other shit cuz they was born in other states like Tookie. Or probably we should call luda a chi city nigga since he was born there, or Kanye an ATL nigga cuz he was borned there.

May 30, 2006
Its not about where Pac was born. Its also about where he was raised. I was born in L.A. but left for Nor Cal when I was 4 years old.

I mean come on now. Pacs career started in the Bay but he only lived in the Bay for only a few years literally. Ya'll act like he was there for a decade plus.

And he wasn't hollering West Coast until he got with Death Row. Prior to Death Row I never heard him hollering West Coast on every track. That was some shit he was doing to throw in them East coast niggas face cuz he was signed to a West Coast label & he was still bitter about his treatment from a lot of people back east.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
Its not about where Pac was born. Its also about where he was raised. I was born in L.A. but left for Nor Cal when I was 4 years old.

I mean come on now. Pacs career started in the Bay but he only lived in the Bay for only a few years literally. Ya'll act like he was there for a decade plus.

And he wasn't hollering West Coast until he got with Death Row. Prior to Death Row I never heard him hollering West Coast on every track. That was some shit he was doing to throw in them East coast niggas face cuz he was signed to a West Coast label & he was still bitter about his treatment from a lot of people back east.
he was talkin bout how he was "straight outta Oakland, CA" before he was on Death Row

Not once have I heard 2pac rep NY...

he was on the west coast for his whole RAP CAREER... therefore he's a westcoast rapper

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
and you dudes are hella stupid... talkin about 2pac only repped the westcoast because Suge Knight made him... get the fuck out with that shit...

did 2pac ever tell you that's why he repped the West?

I'm sure any rapper he was cool with Pac would not say that's not true

May 30, 2006
and you dudes are hella stupid... talkin about 2pac only repped the westcoast because Suge Knight made him... get the fuck out with that shit...
Pac started hollering that shit on every song after he got with Death Row. U know fuckin well u never seen that nigga throw up the "W" until he got with them even if he was claiming the West prior.

U say He was hollering "streight outta Oakland" before he got with Death Row but was hollering "2 Live & Die In LA" after he gets with'em? Sounds kind of suspect to me.

And he wasn't on the West his entire rap career cuz he also lived in ATL & NY @ some time as well during his career. I guess Yuk is from L.A. since he been living their almost his entire career. I guess 50 Cent is from Conneticut since he's been there almost his entire career. Come on now homie.

@ Mava...... U say So Cal hasn't made much of an impact except Game but I don't see anything major going on up North either & I voted for Nor Cal but I'm gonna keep it 100.

Feb 8, 2003
@ Genius
we dont gotta argue with these young ass niggas we listend to pac shit when he was alive when it dropped and he def was claiming EAST thats all he used to be hanging at was the east these niggas need to pull up archives and see(they was still sucking milk from they moms dd titties in those days).

most these cats on here wasnt even listening to rap back then they probaly just started listening to pac after he died.fact is tupac didnt start reppin west hard until suge bought his ass outta jail. Tell these cats to name one song on me against the world that was dedicated to the west(ill set a timer, he claimed the east so hard on taht album).

Quick question to yall where the fuck was he in prison at?

on the East coast at Rikers Island & Clinton , which mean he was convicted in teheast so he was hanging in the east, Yall got that shit twisted. Even the Outlawz are from the east coast

Feb 8, 2003
Pac didnt move to the west until he was a teenager btw. He is a east coast nigga.

Early life

Tupac Amaru Shakur was born in the East Harlem section of Manhattan in New York City.[6] He was named after Túpac Amaru II, an Incan revolutionary who led an indigenous uprising against Spain and subsequently received capital punishment. His mother, Afeni Shakur, was an active member of the Black Panther Party in New York in the late 1960s and early 1970s; Shakur was born just one month after her acquittal on more than 150 charges of "Conspiracy against the United States government and New York landmarks" in the New York Panther 21 court case.[7] Although officially unconfirmed by the Shakur family,[8] several sources list his birth name as either "Parish Lesane Crooks"[9] or "Lesane Parish Crooks".[10] Afeni feared her enemies would attack her son, and disguised their relation using a different last name, only to change it three months[9] or a year later, following her marriage to Mutulu Shakur.

Struggle and incarceration surrounded Shakur from an early age. His godfather, Elmer "Geronimo" Pratt, a high ranking Black Panther, was convicted of murdering a school teacher during a 1968 robbery, although his sentence was later overturned. His stepfather, Mutulu, spent four years at large on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted Fugitives list beginning in 1982, when Shakur was a pre-teen. Mutulu was wanted in part for having helped his sister Assata Shakur (also known as Joanne Chesimard), Tupac's godmother, to escape from a penitentiary in New Jersey, where she had been incarcerated for allegedly shooting a state trooper to death in 1973. Mutulu was caught in 1986 and imprisoned for the robbery of a Brinks armored truck in which two police officers and a guard were killed.[11] Tupac had a half-sister, Sekyiwa, two years his junior, and an older stepbrother, Mopreme "Komani" Shakur, who appeared on many of his recordings.

At the age of twelve, Shakur enrolled in Harlem's famous "127th Street Ensemble." His first major role with this acting troupe was as Travis in A Raisin in the Sun. In 1984, his family relocated to Baltimore, Maryland,[12] After completing his second year at Paul Lawrence Dunbar High School he transferred to the Baltimore School for the Arts, where he studied acting, poetry, jazz, and ballet. He performed in Shakespeare plays, and in the role of the Mouse King in The Nutcracker.[11] Shakur, accompanied by one of his friends, Dana "Mouse" Smith, as his beatbox, won most of the many rap competitions that he participated in and was considered to be the best rapper in his school.[13] Although he lacked trendy clothing, he was one of the most popular kids in his school because of his sense of humor, superior rapping skills, and ability to mix in with all crowds.[14] He developed a close friendship with a young Jada Pinkett (later Jada Pinkett Smith) that lasted until Shakur's death. In the documentary Tupac: Resurrection, Shakur says, "Jada is my heart. She will be my friend for my whole life," and Smith calls Shakur "one of my best friends. He was like a brother. It was beyond friendship for us. The type of relationship we had, you only get that once in a lifetime." A poem written by Shakur titled "Jada" appears in his book, The Rose That Grew From Concrete, which also includes a poem dedicated to Smith called "The Tears in Cupid's Eyes".

In June 1988, Shakur and his family moved once again, this time to Marin City, California, where he attended Tamalpais High School. He joined the Ensemble Theater Company (ETC) to pursue his career in entertainment. His mother's crack addiction led him to move into Leila Steinberg's home with his friend Ray Luv at the age of seventeen and he eventually dropped out of high school. Leila Steinberg acted as a literary mentor to Shakur, an avid reader. Steinberg has kept copies of the books that he read, which include J.D. Salinger's Catcher in the Rye, Jamaica Kincaid's At the Bottom of the River, Herman Melville's Moby-Dick, Eileen Southern's Music of Black Americans, and the feminist writings of Alice Walker and Robin Morgan.[15] Most of these books were read before the age of twenty.[15] It has been said that Shakur was, in fact, more well-read and intellectually well-rounded at that age than the average student in the first year class of most Ivy League institutions.[16] In 1989, Leila Steinberg organized a concert with Shakur's group, Strictly Dope. The concert lead to him being signed with Atron Gregory who set him up with the up-and-coming rap group Digital Underground. In 1990, he was hired as the band's backup dancer and roadie.[3][4]

I dont care what you say now this argument is stupid. Its just like a nigga from the cornfields start claiming the projects later in his life.

Feb 7, 2006
I said you can say he is whatever nigga you want but he is a westcoast rapper. Just like Ice-t and Kurupt. Just like too short is a oakland rapper even though he originally from compton and moved up there when he was a teen.