Lyricism: who's to blame?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 3, 2011
I caught this video for a show on Music Choice where they talk about the lost art of lyricism in mainstream hip-hop. Naughty by Nature's gonna be on it, and I heard Vinny blames NWA for starting a trend of watered-down lyrics, which is crazy to me to go after Dre and Cube like that. Most of my friends say the south killed everything that was good about hip-hop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu_X7KQZlcs

:ab:

blunt_hogg559
Jul 6, 2005
the consumers are the ones to blame. cashing out these artists that aint sayin shit. so artists that come out make music that caters to the lowest common denominator.

muthafuckers want to make jay-z money. the art of lyricism is going the way of the dodo, if it's not totally gone already.

Nov 14, 2006
Its sucks for the kids and the people just getting into rap because all they hear is what's on the radio or in the club and think that's what rap is all about. You havent't even broken the surface.

Aug 20, 2006
FLA
the consumers are the ones to blame. cashing out these artists that aint sayin shit. so artists that come out make music that caters to the lowest common denominator.

muthafuckers want to make jay-z money. the art of lyricism is going the way of the dodo, if it's not totally gone already.
this.

its gotten to the point where rappers dont even try anymore because why the fuck should they. come up with some really intelligent shit and youll be lucky to get to Chino XL fame or they could make a dumb fucking song about a dance your friend made when he was high on salvia and become a millionaire overnight.

Jul 22, 2008
www.youtube.com
Earl- "I'm Just Tryna Keep It Positive, Save THe Dolphins And The Whales And The Animals"

Lil B- "I Got Hoes Like A Young Ass Bitch, I Can Fuck Any Broad, Cause I'm That Fuckin Rich"

Waka Flocka Flame- "Waka, Waka, Waka Flocka Waka"

.....I say we're doin alright

Nov 7, 2006
i think mase and diddy killed it for mainstream. i mean it's the consumers obviously but they fucking brought that dumb shit around and it made other people realize most consumers dont give a fuck what they listen to. but the same shit happened with rock music aswell and i like where rap is heading right now with alot of lyrics coming back to the spotlight. it was always there for people looking but in 5-6 years i hope you dont have to search anymore and can just find something good on the radio.

Apr 28, 2003
i think mase and diddy killed it for mainstream. i mean it's the consumers obviously but they fucking brought that dumb shit around and it made other people realize most consumers dont give a fuck what they listen to. but the same shit happened with rock music aswell and i like where rap is heading right now with alot of lyrics coming back to the spotlight. it was always there for people looking but in 5-6 years i hope you dont have to search anymore and can just find something good on the radio.
You're right to an extent all mainstream music is dumbed down these days BUT to solely blame Diddy and Mase for it? C'mon now Master P, DMX, Jay-Z and handful of other rappers are just as responsible for the direction hip hop has taken as much as those 2.

The consumers are only a small part of the blame the other half has got to go to the record industry, clear channel, radio playlist, etc. These radio stations all play the same shit I swear you can hear the same song 4 or 5 times in one hour just flipping through the radio. It's almost like they condition your brain until you like whatever they play. The consumer has almost no say in what get's play...

Hip hop and R&B need to separate from each other for a minute. Too many wack hybrid rap/r&b songs.