Joey Badass vs Troy Ave

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

S.L.A.B

Hiphop-TV
Mar 26, 2006
hiphop-tv.blogspot.nl
Joey Badass & Troy Ave Beef Breakdown | HipHopDX

The tension that had been simmering between Joey Bada$$ and Troy Ave since last summer completely blew its top earlier last week, with Crown Heights rapper Troy dropping some heavy verbal artillery on his Flatbush bred neighbor in the form of the vicious diss track "Badass." The shots rang off after the Beast Coast movement linchpin and Pro Era figurehead Bada$$ clowned Ave’s poor sales on his Statik Selektah-produced new single "Ready." (“60k first week for the Badass/200k to this day I know you niggas mad/With the 80/20 split my nigga do the math/My nigga Kirk just outsold Troy Ave,” he coldly rapped.)

Troy Ave’s comparatively low numbers-Major Without a Deal shipped just 5,000 units in its first week, drawing some fairly harsh industry comment–had caused him to fire some lowkey shots last June, accusing Joey Bada$$ of being “fake independent.” But with the pair now slugging it out on record and across Twitter, with others being drawn into the dispute, here are five key points from hip-hop’s latest high-profile feud.
In Hip-Hop, Almost Nothing Is Off Limits…

On his track "Badass," Troy Ave taunted his Big Apple rival over the death of his fellow Pro Era partner-in-rhyme Capital Steez (who tragically committed suicide just before Christmas 2012) with the lines, “Don’t get suicidal like ya friend, here’s a casket/Steez burning in hell, my burner’s in my belt/I’m really killing shit, you niggas killing yourself/Fucking weirdos, off the roof, ‘Steer clear, yo!’/This niggas tryin’ to fly – he think he a superhero/Splat man, fuck you and that man…”

The BSB rapper’s shock tactics serve as a depressing reminder that diss tracks are most definitely no-holds-barred affairs where basically anything goes. Even Hip Hop's most famous wax wars have seen its marquee stars trade below-the-belt barbs. 2Pac's "Hit ‘Em Up" ridiculed The Notorious B.I.G. over Faith Evans’ alleged infidelity with the infamous “That’s why I fucked your bitch your fat motherfucker” line, before mocking Prodigy of Mobb Deep’s sickle cell condition, while in his war with Nas, Jay Z would boast that he slept with Esco’s baby mama on "Supa Ugly."
…But Respect The Architects

The Pro Era figurehead clapped back at his fellow Brooklynite Wednesday morning by unearthing a handful of tweets from 2009-2011, in which Troy Ave took shots at Nas. Given that Nas debuted with Illmatic, a bona fide Hip Hop classic, and continues to be a cornerstone of those endless "Top 5 Dead or Alive" debates almost a quarter-century after his legendary "Live At The BBQ' verse, the Twittersphere was quick to note it seemed a little foolish for Troy – who was widely ridiculed last year for his low album sales – to dismiss QB’s finest out of hand as “a sucka” and “wack”. No stranger to beef himself, Nas’ sizable impact on the culture has even influenced rap beef terminology: 15 years after his infamous war with Hov’, we still talk about how rappers ‘Ether’ each other on wax.
Supa Ugly

Still, the ‘Badass’ lyrics led Royce Da 5’9 to wade into the controversy Friday, with the PRhyme star claiming Troy crossed the line and that the BSB man owed Capital Steez’s family an apology. Royce himself is no stranger to beef: his long-running dispute with fellow Detroit native Proof and the D-12 crew saw disses fly back and forth, with the two camps even pulling guns on each other at one point. It all makes you long for the innocence of the late ‘80s Golden Era, when the very worst thing a rapper could do was to accuse another rapper of biting their style. Or call their girl a skeezer. My, how times have changed.

The Mainstream Vs Backpack Divide Never Really Went Away

From his early work ("Survival Tactics," the stunning collabo with Capital Steez, and the Summer Knights EP) through to 2015’s fully-formed studio set B4.DA.$$, Joey Bada$$ has been hailed by some as the savior of New York Hip Hop, on the strength of him rapping over traditional east coast boom-bap beats. Although it’s wrong to pigeonhole him as simply a throwback to those heady late ‘90s Rawkus days - his recent work has seen him spit bars over beats by Atlanta’s boundary-pushing producer Metro Boomin – that didn’t stop Troy Ave dismissing his nearby BK neighbor as a “filthy backpack rapper out a thrift shop”, declaring “They gon’ play this on the radio, dawg”, before adding “You tryna do music for Coachella/I make shit for foreign whips and drug sellers/You more Digable Planets, I’m more Roc-A-Fella.” For his part, Joey Bada$$ reaffirmed his hardcore roots on "Ready", stating: “Niggas think because we conscious we don’t really get it poppin’/They forgot we from the bottom/They forgot we had to fight for every nickel, every dollar/Before the money and the power…”.
NY Rap Unity? Forget About It

With Compton king Kendrick Lamar reigning supreme in 2016, and the cutting-edge scenes of Atlanta and Chicago continuing to evolve Hip Hop's sound, one may think that such a backdrop would possibly foster a sense of unity and purpose amongst Big Apple rappers, given their city is no longer the all-dominating nerve centre of Hip Hop it was in the ‘90s. But you’d be wrong. Within hours of Joey and Troy trading shots, A$AP Twelvy, from Harlem’s A$AP Mob, weighed in, taking issue with the former’s “weirdo” jibes and challenging the BSB rapper to a fight. Styles P – who as part of The Lox and D-Block once had beef with Beanie Sigel, Roc-A-Fella, and G-Unit back – was quick to take Troy to task over those suicide comments, having tragically lost his own daughter last year, and took to Twitter to call for calm, and suggested a sit down between all parties. Such intracity internecine warfare almost echoes the time 50 Cent went up against Ja Rule, Fat Joe, Jadakiss, DMX and the rest of NY’s major league in the mid-2000s.
Beef Remains Big Business

Speaking of Fif’, Troy Ave has caught considerable flak in many quarters over his cadence and flow bearing more than a passing resemblance to the G-Unit general’s unmistakeable vocal style. But whether or not he is simply a “bootleg 50 Cent” (as his detractors would claim) it seems ya boy Curtis’s blueprint-to-blowing up likely looms large over Ave’s strategy. From 50’s debut, the incendiary industry stick-up manual "How to Rob" which put him firmly on the map in ‘99, to his entrepreneurial 50 Cent Is the Future mixtapes–now an industry norm in Hip Hop–such a resolutely independent spirit is reflected in the self-sufficient hustle of Troy Ave, who apparently spurned the advances of a handful of majors to finance his own releases.

So with that sort of self-promotion at the core of his strategy, perhaps a little beef tossed into the mix doesn’t hurt. Not convinced by such a cynical stance? Just take a look back at all the memes, tweets, think-pieces, column inches and podcast discussions that stemmed from the Drake-Meek Mill spat last summer.

S.L.A.B

Hiphop-TV
Mar 26, 2006
hiphop-tv.blogspot.nl
A$AP Mob Goes After Troy Ave for Disrespecting Capital STEEZ

Troy Ave has ignited a onslaught of hate after releasing his Joey Bada$$ diss song “Bad Ass.” Although Joey and his Pro Era crew haven’t really responded to Troy Ave’s track, fellow rap crew A$AP Mob went in on the BSB Records honcho via Twitter.

On “Bad Ass,” Troy Ave takes aim at Joey and his late friend Capital STEEZ. “STEEZ burning in hell, my burner’s in my belt / I’m really killing s—, you n—-s killing yourself / F—ing weirdos, off the roof, Steer clear yo!”

For those who don’t know, STEEZ committed suicide in 2012. His death affected the Pro Era family very deeply, so Troy’s line will not sit well with them.

During an interview on Sway in the Morning, the “All About the Money” rapper was unapologetic regarding his remarks about Joey and called STEEZ a “bozo” and a d—head” for taking his own life.

“He [Joey Bada$$] opened Pandora’s Box by bringing his other boy Kirk Knight into this,” he said. “This is real versus fake.”

“There’s no rules in beef. I don’t start with nobody but I’ll finished it,” he adds.

In series of tweets, A$AP Mob members A$AP Twelvvy and A$AP Addie didn’t like Troy Ave’s diss song and delivered some vicious slander and threats to him and his manager Hovain.

“Troy Average just need to die already,” tweeted A$AP Addie with Twelvyy adding, “F— him and who ever love EM.”

Can we all just get along? Check out the heated tweets below.

Troy Average just need to die already.

— A$AP ADDIE /YG ADDIE (@ygAddie) March 1, 2016

Straight up sum ppl really just need to die forreal forreal. The world be a better place.

Ain't nobody goin show love @ ur funeral anyways.⚰

Rap niggas doo doo radio nighas doo doo suck my dick if u got a problem with the ERA

— Mel (@AsapTwelvyy) March 1, 2016

PRO ERA FLATBUSH ZOMBIES A$AP SHOUT OUT TO THE WEIRDOS WIT REAL FANS

Can't wait for a nigga in NYC to come for my head I'm a kiss these bitches on they cheek

Always down for a one on one

Fuvk hovain fat ass too

Dick riding faggots

On my flight back to NYC first stop Brooklyn if anybody need me

Wish I had a time machine to go back and give these niggas moms that abortion money

Fuck him and who ever love EM https://t.co/gvQJDhgKy5

I wanna trade some ppl in 2 die so we can bring yams back.

— A$AP ADDIE /YG ADDIE (@ygAddie) March 2, 2016

Fuck Lito fuxk Troy fuck hovain and whoever love em https://t.co/BHwOERdpyP

S.L.A.B

Hiphop-TV
Mar 26, 2006
hiphop-tv.blogspot.nl
Styles P Decries Troy Ave's Suicide Comments Towards Joey Bada$$ & Capital Steez; Troy Ave Responds

Styles P knows the pain of losing someone to suicide. His daughter committed suicide last year and he shared his experience mourning her death in an Instagram post.

The issue of suicide was brought up recently when Troy Ave dissed Joey Bada$$ and the late Pro Era member Capital Steez, who committed suicide in 2012, on "Bad A$$." In the song, he says that Capital Steez is burning in Hell. Troy Ave then went on Sway in the Morning to further explain his stance on suicide.

"You commit suicide, you're a buster," the Major Without a Deal rapper says. "There's no way to celebrate that. We're not gonna make you into a martyr or nothing. He jumped off a roof like a bozo and a dickhead."

Styles P took to Twitter to decry Troy Ave's comments about losing a loved one when they take their own life.

"When you have no sensitivity towards others pain that ain't being gangster that being a fukn creep ...." The LOX rapper says in a series of posts. "Don't let the image you trying to portray make you a asshole. I ain't talking about his dis track I'm talking about the way he spoke on people who committed suicide on sway. Shit happens in records and u even entitled to feel whoever does that goes to hell because religion I get it but don't insult those who did. I actually really like Hovain and Troy ave a lot love the movement work ethic and believes he reps ny I want 2 see him win but that hurt."

Styles P then came back to the site a few minutes later to apologize for taking the issue to social media and not talking to Troy Ave directly.

"As a Og being that I actually speak to Troy I should have never addressed it on a site I'm man enough 2 admit that he is the younger one," the 41-year-old says. "Suicide is a sensitive topic so I reacted off of emotion but hopefully he has a better understanding of the sensitivity of the situation."

He seemingly had a conversation with Noreaga about his comments and tagged him and Troy Ave.

"@Nore thx bro love T @troy Ave I'm going 2 man up n apologize 4 calling u a name n out your name on a site I'm the Og n was wrong 4 that," he says.

Troy Ave responds saying he respects the rapper and understands his position.

T @Thereal stylesp @nore I respect it OG," he says. "U been a supporter but I know suicide is a touchy situation and hits close to home."

He then apologizes to any of his fans that he offended with his statements about suicide.

"matter fact if any of MY fans was offended by me saying ALL people who commit suicide was bozo's my bad I'd neva purposely diss my #RealOnes," he says, but says he still stands by his comments in the song and reposts the link. "it's still #RealVsFake tho and I still stand by every FACT on this record #Tweet Sumn else Ima get more SAVAGE -"

View Styles P and Troy Ave's tweets and listen to Troy Ave's Sway interview below:

When you have no sensitivity towards others pain that ain't being gangster that being a fukn creep ....
— g -host T @Thereal stylesp) March 2, 2016

Don't let the image you trying to portray make you a asshole.

I ain't talking about his dis track I'm talking about the way he spoke on people who committed suicide on sway

Shit happens in records and u even entitled to feel whoever does that goes to hell because religion I get it but don't insult those who did.

I actually really like Hovain and Troy ave a lot love the movement work ethic and believes he reps ny I want 2 see him win but that hurt

T @troy Ave Joey @Joey BADASS you know what let's do something sensible and sit down and talk...

If you never experienced a family committing suicide you have no fukn idea about that pain . NONE..

I really like T @troy Ave n want to see him win I just was really offended by his remarks on sway probably cause I like him n he spoke so harsh

I don't want to see T @troy Ave or Joey @Joey BADASS beefing let them two young kings get money it's enough for everybody..lets have a sit down

T @troy Ave Joey @Joey BADASS I'mma do what the elder statesmen in hip hop supposed to do and fix this shit I was just emotional earlier

Joey @Joey BADASS T @troy Ave y'all not even In the same lane no way y'all should be bumping heads!! We need 2 fix it make a song n move on .

As a Og being that I actually speak to Troy I should have never addressed it on a site I'm man enough 2 admit that he is the younger one

Suicide is a sensitive topic so I reacted off of emotion but hopefully he has a better understanding of the sensitivity of the situation .

I gotta show the youth who follow the path of the juice that humble is the way .

being honest about your mistakes and faults and owning them won't make you less of a man it will only make you more of a man..

As hip hop heads we shouldn't even egg on a Troy ave Joey bad ass beef they ain't even in each other's lane .

They should get there rap beef off of their chest then do a song together for the love of bk. I shouldn't even be suggesting this in from YO

T @Thereal stylesp @nore I respect it OG U been a supporter but I know suicide is a touchy situation and hits close to home
— TROY AVE T @troy Ave) March 2, 2016

matter fact if any of MY fans was offended by me saying ALL people who commit suicide was bozo's my bad I'd neva purposely diss my #RealOnes
— TROY AVE T @troy Ave) March 2, 2016

it's still #RealVsFake tho and I still stand by every FACT on this record #Tweet Sumn else Ima get more SAVAGE - https://t.co/47Vjifu0zi

Nov 18, 2010
Joey lost

Whether people think troy ave crossed the line or not joey responded with a ig post rather than a track. How can he act like he brings the 90s back when he makes an ig post instead of a diss track during a rap beef?

Sep 3, 2002
Troy Ave isn't that tight though to me. I'm not a fan of Joey bad ass either, but I feel like if I was a ceo and they both came in my office to get signed, I'd be thinking Joey bad ass I might need to watch for, but Troy ave can get to stepping.

Troy ave calling everyone wierdos I can't decide if it's lame, or absolutely necessary. These rappers ARE wierdos, always experimenting with drugs, and dressing like they're in mad max or a bizarre fashion show. But I think as a street rapper, it kind of goes without saying.

Aug 20, 2006
FLA

joey had some bars for troy on here. Usually I don't care about beefs like this but these shots joey threw on here were fuckin crazy. dude crushed troys soul in a handful bars.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
I like a handful of tracks by Troy which is more than I can say I do for Joey but both these dudes are pretty corny honestly. Troy is always salty that no one gives a fuck about him even in NYC so he's constantly throwing shade at other people that are more successful than him/have some buzz (I mean this ain't nothing new in rap obviously but it's still corny) and Joey has the most boring lets bring back real 90s NYC hip hop nostalgia raps out there. I mean dude said he was gonna "throw lyrical missiles" in a verse in 2013. Nah man, nah.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
lol kinda related though you can tell Troy gets hurt when people call him Troy Average. I followed him on Twitter for a minute and it seemed like multiple times daily he'd argue with people who @'d that at him, fire off some weak comebacks, then block them.