How To Devlop As An Artist

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 18, 2010
How to Develop Yourself as an Artist.

Whats really good?! I was recently riding down the street listening to some underground music and really liking what I heard.
After a while, I finally decided to see what the radio had to offer me... Suprisingly, I was disappointed as usual.
However, over time I've noticed some things that I feel would catapult the average underground rapper/singer to a level
where they could compete with mainstream acts. The only way to achieve a high position in this game is to DEVELOP YOURSELF
AS AN ARTIST!

As I continued down the highway, FOUR points came to mind on how to develop as an artist. These FOUR things are...
Increasing your lyrics, work on your delivery, being original, and managing your money...

The 1st key to serious artist development is increasing your lyrical content. You can do this by reading, writing, freestyling,
listening to other advanced artists, and getting high quality beats for inspiration when writing. If your serious about
stepping your lyrics up, you need to read the article I wrote called "How To Get Better Lyrics" here: (LINK)

The number 2 way to developing yourself as an artist is WORKING ON YOUR DELIVERY. Cultivating a unique delivery is
extremely important, unfortunately most up-and-coming artists fail to do this. The minute you start working on the way you
deliver your voice, you'll see an increase in song quality. When your song quality is top notch, you'll get a better buzz, start
building a fanbase, and be well on your way to success! Start to study the delivery of some of your favorite artists.
Find out what you like about them and continue to work on the way you project your voice. Remember, first impressions are
lasting, people will remember how you sound so a great delivery is key to your success!

When developing as an artist, you must remember to BE ORIGINAL! Wether you know it or not, you are unique. You are one person
out of BILLIONS of people on EARTH! When you strive for originality, you give the world something NEW, FRESH, and
INVIGORATING! You may have a hit single in your notebook right now, but you're putting it off to do what everyone else is.
When you're original, you no longer have to chase the pack... They'll chase you! Once you get in the groove for creating
original content, you'll get better at your craft and set the bar for everyone else! Be a leader in your own right.
Leaders set trends. BE ORIGINAL!

Last but definately not least, one of the MOST CRUCIAL points of developing yourself as an artist is MONEY MANAGEMENT!
You may be asking yourself at this point, "How is money management going to help me develop myself?". Here's how...
Unfortunately for most people in society, we weren't taught how to manage what little finances we may have, which causes
us to be broke for long periods of time, rely heavily on others, and ultimately become nothing more than burdens with a
dream. That's why money management for artists is PARAMOUNT. A lot of times when you see rappers, singers, and other
entertainers on TV, it's easy to assume that they're all rich beyond our wildest dreams. Although they may be more well to do
than most of us, many of them aren't as filthy rich as you'd expect. In fact, if they don't keep an eye on all of those
glamorous expenses, it's right back to a 9 to 5 for em'! I'll be doing some videos soon on best practices for keeping
your paper straight so you can get a visual, but the time is NOW to learn about the way money works. If you're broke,
you can't pay for studio time, you can't get your songs mastered, can't travel for shows and events, or even buy beats, which
is the MOST IMPORTANT factor for ALL artists! Speaking of beats, when you're ready to get that important piece of the
puzzle, head over the http://ExotiqNature.com and get thet EXOTIQ sound you've always been looking for.

I hope you found this information helpful . Be sure to take every aspect of this serious, becuase if you're not developing,
you're stagnant, if you're stagnant, you'll get passed up and forgotten in this game! See you at the top!!!

-LoDaMack AKA Lorenzo West

Holla at me:

TWEET ME: @LoDaMack,
REVERB NATION: http://reverbnation.com/biglobeatz
http://ExotiqNature.com

T.C

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
Also I would add...Study artists who sell a lot of records despite being labeled as "not lyrical". You'll learn a lot more about the skill of songwriting from Soulja Boy, 50 Cent and Nelly than you will listening to Canibus, Nas or Cam'ron. I think most up-and-coming artists make the mistake of not perfecting their songwriting skills before releasing product to the consumer. When I say "songwriting", I'm talking about choruses. They make or break songs nowadays, so artists should be putting more energy into them.