Blender names 2pac most overrated artist...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 12, 2006
This is disrespectful in my opinion...

http://www.reuters.com/article/musicNews/idUSN0319369220080903

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Dead rapper Tupac "2Pac" Shakur, the hip-hop icon who sold more records after he was murdered than during his brief career, is the most overrated person in music, according to music magazine Blender.

Shakur tops a tongue-in-cheek list that also includes "places, trends and other junk in rock," Blender said in its upcoming October issue, due on newsstands next week.

Other overrated finalists included the Grammys at No. 7, encores at No. 12, Pink Floyd at No. 14 and "the music you loved as a teenager" at No. 23.

Shakur, a "gangsta" rapper who showed his sensitive side in movies, was killed during an unsolved drive-by shooting in Las Vegas in 1996. More than a dozen albums have been released in the ensuing years, and his image is almost as ubiquitous as that of Che Guevara or Bob Marley.

But while Shakur was a decent rapper with "insane rock-star charisma," according to Blender, he also "larded records with self-mythologizing, mediocre filler."

It's not the first time the pages of Blender have been used to bring down Shakur a few notches. In its June issue, rapper Lil Wayne listed him among his top five rappers, but then admitted: "I can't front: I was never into Pac."

As for the Grammys, the music industry's top awards, Blender said sitting through the ceremony was "like watching paint dry on Celine Dion's forehead."

And encores were notable chiefly for allowing bands to go backstage and do drugs while fans wonder if they should beat the rush to the parking lot, Blender said.

Veteran British rock band Pink Floyd, meanwhile, were responsible for "unbearable LSD slapstick" and "self-important bombast." And Blender warned that teenagers' brains "can inflate a great band to Christ-size proportions" and turn a bad song into the most meaningful.

May 9, 2002
The most overrated artist ever in any genre? No, I wouldn't agree with that.

He is extremely overrated though.
Agreed.

I agreehe was exremely overratted even when he was breathing.....But Elvis is the most overratted artist ever.
Afree also.

Presley has sex appeal and stage presence. He made "black music" popular...and didnt give African Americans any credit.

Mar 13, 2003
there fixed it for ya:

Definetly not even close to being overrated....To me it's like saying Bob Marley was overrated....U cant deny that he brought a message w/ his music, and u cannot overrate somebody when they have a message especially positive messages. Ur favorite artist(s) has adopted some of Pac's way of doing things think about it. how can somebody sooo overrated influence so many?! yes he brought some ignorance too but dude was still in his mid 20's when he died...Sometimes people expect too much from "entertainers" when they are no more surperior than us. They go thru lifes lessons just like us, i guarantee dude would of showed tremendous growth as an artist/person for years to come if he didnt meet his demise so early!! Overrated hell NO...

Dec 6, 2005
fuck Blender magazine they da 1'z dat be making dem gay azz specials on VH1 fuck em if anything in my opinion Biggie is da most overrated rapper off all time if it wasnt 4 2Pac biggie wouldnt even be mentioned when it comes 2 greatest of all time 2Pac had nothin but classic albums under his belt N biggie only had 2 fucking albums

Apr 20, 2003
Well what do you expect from a shitty mag called Blender?!?! 2Pac had some great songs that had positive messages like "Dear Mama", "Brenda's Got A Baby", "So Many Tears", "Keep Ya Head Up", "Changes", etc........ The MOST overrated, certainly NOT!

Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
You may not like Lil Weezy, but that quote of his right there is exactly why I agree that Tupac is overrated.

He's in Wayne's top 5, but Wayne was never into him. Too many people like that...they knew California Love was a cool song, and when he died, he was suddenly their best friend.