5 Reasons Why We’ll Never See Another Classic Rap Album

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
5. Rap’s Not A Baby Anymore…
The general consensus is that Hip Hop is about 40 years old. Give or take. In 40 years, a lot can be accomplished. In the music business, 40 years is long enough to see the same trend die off & be reborn at least 3 times. That said, it’ll be hard to navigate new ground like Three Feet High & Rising or Only Built 4 Cuban Linx did, because those albums set precedents. Now, unfortunately, it’s about dead presidents. Still, good luck, though.

4. There’s Nothing New Under The Sun…
Socially speaking, there’s nothing left to be said, if you will. People have been communicating for as long as they could, umm, communicate. Stories have been told, retold, reiterated, & regurgitated. In other words, it’s going to take a lot more than the normal, or average content & delivery to captivate listeners to the heights of legitimately praising a body of work. I haven’t heard an album “praised” since Relapse, even if I don’t agree that it was “classic.” No shots, just observations.

3. Originality Isn’t Popular Anymore…
There was a time when you had to be different. It was mandatory. Nowadays, though, that’s not the case. As a matter of fact, if you take a real good look at the current crop of MC’s the Hip Hop gods have offered up, they’re all eerily similar to one obviously influential rapper who’s name is Kanye West, but I won’t say. There’s a very thin line between inspiration & copyright infringement, though the principles of rap music may not illustrate that. Everyone follows the same styles, recycling the same trends, & at the same time they subsequently lose the individuality that helped them to get there in the first place. For the record, I’ve never seen a classic copy of anything.

2. Cash Rules Everything Around Us…
Rap music was art & intelligence before it was hustle & flow. Now, it’s primarily about how many people listen to/purchase your shit, whereas before, it was about how many people respected your craft. Listening to rap used to be kind of like appraising art. Now it’s tantamount to putting a value on a piece of furniture or bag of cocaine, if you smell my cologne. Today’s rap star has a ton of things to prove, but the last thing on his mind is building rap music’s next classic opus. Word on the skreetz is that hoes, clothes, money, & popularity are far more valuable to have than talent &/or tradition. Perhaps that was one of the reasons it was so easy for me to walk away from “rap,” but I’ll save that for another day.

1. Hollywoodization…
Even though record labels don’t call the shots like they once did, rap fans still like their music like they like their cars & bbwomen…big. Commercial-y, overground sound is what rap music is all about, be it right or wrong. It’s much easier to contrive an album dedicated to ‘tang & violence than it is to produce one about love &/or compassion. However, the “love” songs are the songs that become classic & timeless. The songs that become soundtracks to specific life events are rarely songs about “the bitches.” That vein was once tapped by numerous rappers, but now it seems to be a race to see who can do the stupidest shit before they get gunned down during their own concert. The larger-than-life attitude of Hollywood has transcended the gates of rap music, & everybody wants to be a star first. Paying dues is old school, it appears. Sadly, though, everybody can not be Drake.

http://thetonygrands.com/2011/04/18/5-reasons-why-well-never-see-another-classic-rap-album/

Nov 7, 2006
this is easily the dumbest thread. reason why there might not be a classic album again because of people with that mentality. other than that i've heard some new albums that can be

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
this thread is dumb though.
word

6. Rap’s Not A Baby Anymore…
The general consensus is that Hip Hop is about 40 years old. Give or take. In 40 years, a lot can be accomplished. In the music business, 40 years is long enough to see the same trend die off & be reborn at least 3 times. That said, it’ll be hard to navigate new ground like Three Feet High & Rising or Only Built 4 Cuban Linx did, because those albums set precedents. Now, unfortunately, it’s about dead presidents. Still, good luck, though.

5. There’s Nothing New Under The Sun…
Socially speaking, there’s nothing left to be said, if you will. People have been communicating for as long as they could, umm, communicate. Stories have been told, retold, reiterated, & regurgitated. In other words, it’s going to take a lot more than the normal, or average content & delivery to captivate listeners to the heights of legitimately praising a body of work. I haven’t heard an album “praised” since Relapse, even if I don’t agree that it was “classic.” No shots, just observations.

4. Originality Isn’t Popular Anymore…
There was a time when you had to be different. It was mandatory. Nowadays, though, that’s not the case. As a matter of fact, if you take a real good look at the current crop of MC’s the Hip Hop gods have offered up, they’re all eerily similar to one obviously influential rapper who’s name is Kanye West, but I won’t say. There’s a very thin line between inspiration & copyright infringement, though the principles of rap music may not illustrate that. Everyone follows the same styles, recycling the same trends, & at the same time they subsequently lose the individuality that helped them to get there in the first place. For the record, I’ve never seen a classic copy of anything.

3. Cash Rules Everything Around Us…
Rap music was art & intelligence before it was hustle & flow. Now, it’s primarily about how many people listen to/purchase your shit, whereas before, it was about how many people respected your craft. Listening to rap used to be kind of like appraising art. Now it’s tantamount to putting a value on a piece of furniture or bag of cocaine, if you smell my cologne. Today’s rap star has a ton of things to prove, but the last thing on his mind is building rap music’s next classic opus. Word on the skreetz is that hoes, clothes, money, & popularity are far more valuable to have than talent &/or tradition. Perhaps that was one of the reasons it was so easy for me to walk away from “rap,” but I’ll save that for another day.

2. Hollywoodization…
Even though record labels don’t call the shots like they once did, rap fans still like their music like they like their cars & bbwomen…big. Commercial-y, overground sound is what rap music is all about, be it right or wrong. It’s much easier to contrive an album dedicated to ‘tang & violence than it is to produce one about love &/or compassion. However, the “love” songs are the songs that become classic & timeless. The songs that become soundtracks to specific life events are rarely songs about “the bitches.” That vein was once tapped by numerous rappers, but now it seems to be a race to see who can do the stupidest shit before they get gunned down during their own concert. The larger-than-life attitude of Hollywood has transcended the gates of rap music, & everybody wants to be a star first. Paying dues is old school, it appears. Sadly, though, everybody can not be Drake.

1. NEEDS MORE INF GANG!!!!
NOW THREAD = #SWAG

Apr 20, 2005
stop supporting that weak ass shit then we will stop hearin it. unfortunately theres too many wanna be thugs supporting hustle & flow type music.

Aug 24, 2002
I think jay electronica's debut full length album might be a classic when it drops, can't see him having many if any features, or trendy commercial production.

Oct 6, 2005
This article is corny... Sounds like it was written by an old, bitter, casual rap fan... "Nothing new under the sun...?" The same thing applied when classic rap albums like "Straight Outta Compton" dropped... The f*ck outta here...!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 10, 2006
This thread sucks because its hard to say whats a "classic" album.

Its all a matter of opinions.

Some people say there is only like 10 "classic" rap albums.

While another person might say there are at least 50 "classic" rap albums.

I know people that say Saigon's CD is a "Classic", while it was a very good album, I don't agree.

My point its impossible to say there will never be another "classic" rap album. Because there will be, maybe not in the OP mind but in other peoples.

EVERgREENRIDER

ResidentRocketScientist
Dec 18, 2008
At the Pump
This thread sucks because its hard to say whats a "classic" album.

Its all a matter of opinions.

Some people say there is only like 10 "classic" rap albums.

While another person might say there are at least 50 "classic" rap albums.

I know people that say Saigon's CD is a "Classic", while it was a very good album, I don't agree.

My point its impossible to say there will never be another "classic" rap album. Because there will be, maybe not in the OP mind but in other
peoples.

End of thread

Apr 2, 2010
Socially speaking, there’s nothing left to be said, if you will.
The only part I agree with in this article is this sentence, everything after it was completely off track of what he originally was going for. In the past 10 years, how many hip hop albums have there been? At least 5 thousand and there has been so many verses you can find so many people incidentally saying the same exact shit as the next guy. Whether its forming the same exact concept/idea or just slightly rewording a phrase/sentence that has already been said, making it hard to become creative unless your making a new style.

Everything is usually a matter of opinion anyways, theres been plenty of great rap albums lately imo.

Dec 3, 2009
Kayne and Drake a fucking wack...

stupid ass horrible rappers like them...
is why we will never have a classic album..

but actually we do and will have classic albums..
just not on the radio... cause the major labels..
control the radio..

turn off the radio.. stop supporting bullshit..
and support the real shit..

Dec 3, 2009
Kayne and Drake a fucking wack...

stupid ass horrible rappers like them...
is why we will never have a classic album..

but actually we do and will have classic albums..
just not on the radio... cause the major labels..
control the radio..

turn off the radio.. stop supporting bullshit..
and support the real shit..

Apr 25, 2002
Kanye is an exceptional "rapper" and "producer". i dont really like his songs but he can rhyme better than most "good" rappers. his ego and mainstream success over shadow that unfortunatly.

Apr 13, 2008
there's some good points in here but its not all true. there will be more classic albums to come but it'll never be in the mold of how people consider albums from the 80s/90s "golden age classics". people with expectations like that will never be pleased with any new rap music because music represents the times, and those times people want are long done.

the only true point was #3. there's not a lot of original rappers and producers out there these days, everyone wants to sound like someone who's popular. what's even funnier is when rappers who are old as hell try to sound like the younger rappers thinking that's what's hot and thus their music will be relevant. i like lil wayne, and i can't help but laugh when i hear old ass rappers trying to rap like lil wayne.

some people need to get off their high horse with this "real hip-hop" shit because the only real rap music is shit that's from the heart and true, and that's why people will always listen to rap music.

i'll admit though, these days everyone is a rapper or a producer, and the fact that you can make beats and record for the cheap flooded the world with weak ass rappers who copy other wack shit. and it doesn't help that the majority of rappers aren't saying shit worth listening to either.