Where does Bay Area music sell good at today ??? (Regions)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 26, 2004
www.slapmaster.net
Im asking because of all the traveling ive done the Bay Area presence (musically) is little to none to todays "consumer" generation unless you are established artist like E40, Too Short, and a few others. What im saying is if there is barely a market for the Bay music and its not felt by the majority of regions ...then why keep pushing that losing line and wasting time, money, effort on something that is clearly not going to bring in a return on your career ? I feel the Bay has been stuck in this hole for 10 years and going because we are not evolving musically. Alot complain why the bay isnt on but its pretty clear why if you sit back and look at the demographics in the Bay compared to the rest of the nation....

Something new & different from what is being said/done today that the nation can feel is the only way to get the Bay upfront again imo if multiple artist can deliver this from our region...not just one artist.

What regions/citys are "Major" buyers of Todays Bay Area rap ?

milkky

The Milk Man
Sep 6, 2010
The Whole Midwest: KCMO, Ohio, Minnesota (Minneapolis fucks with the Bay SUPER tough, although we dont have a huge independent rap scene here, I'd compare it to KCMO just without all the local rappers)..
Colorado
Obviously Oregon + Washington...

Dec 26, 2004
www.slapmaster.net
The Whole Midwest: KCMO, Ohio, Minnesota (Minneapolis fucks with the Bay SUPER tough, although we dont have a huge independent rap scene here, I'd compare it to KCMO just without all the local rappers)..
Colorado
Obviously Oregon + Washington...
Thats cool. Just doesn't seem those areas generate real numbers for artist in the Bay Area presently compared to other indi artist abroad that area marketing there self to Bigger and more populated regions.

yes

Sicc OG
Feb 9, 2006
the biggest that ive seen is Oregon/Seattle They Really Support Bay Artist But The Mid-west Does Good Sales And So Does Overseas If Your Somewhat Established

Aug 24, 2002
Bay artists that aren't gangsta get more support, cats like hiero, living legends, blackalicious, lyrics born etc. I think San Diego might be bigger supporters of the bay than LA, being that bay artists get more shows there. I'm sure there are quite a few supporters of the bay down here in so.Cali, but I don't know anyone. They fuck with 40, short, & maybe old Luniz period, don't invest time in seeking out artists.

Dec 25, 2003
Its true SD supports the Bay/whole nor cal than LA & the market is still expanding......
While LA supports SD from what Ive always hear; sad but true...
Plus the solid percentrage of tourists/settlers are from nor cal...
I got relatives from Sactown & sum of my cousins from there know their local scene quite well plus they listen to alotta bay rap nowadays its incredible & good look for their city pride...

Sep 30, 2008
FUCK WHERE BAY AREA MUSIC SALES, IF YOUR A ARTIST , YOU SHOULD BE TRYING TO SELL EVERY WHERE. YOU DONT WANT PEOPLE TO BUY YOUR MUSIC BECAUSE ITS FROM THE BAY, BUT BECAUSE ITS GOOD.

Nov 23, 2006
www.myspace.com
i'm not sure but i know if you're music is good enough people will fuck witcha without really trippin off where you're from. i dont seek out new artists to listen to based on what region they're from. and i'm trying to make music people everywhere can relate to so i dont get pigeonholed into being just another "bay rapper."

but i've promoted in arizona, chicago, LA, san diego, new york, and they were all open to hearing stuff from the bay. whenever i drop something a big number of my sales/downloads come from overseas too. europe is a huge market, so is japan.

yes

Sicc OG
Feb 9, 2006
seriously if your not know its going to be super hard to sell these days!!! thats why your overall package must be superior and standout please dont try to sell me a cd in a slim jewel case or clear sleeve for 5 bucks because i probably wont buy it not because i wont support but how you approach me is also a big deal!!! i dont wanna hear AYE BRO I GOT SOME SLAPS ON HERE WITH DOPE ASS PRODUCTION? lol or AYE BRO BUY THIS SHIT? No! lol or the all time greatest AYE BRO I GOT JACKA ON HERE SO YOU KNOW ITS GOING TO SLAP I FUCKS WITH JACKA THATS MY NIGZ ALL DAY WE MAKE MUSIC AND DO SHOWS? sure you do lol..

WHAT im trying to say is if your going to sell your packaging and artwork and overall production needs to be pristine dont cut corners spend the extra money even if you gotta wait another month or two to make it the best possible project that could be put out and your chances of selling should increase come correct to the consumer not as if its your boy!!