What Does A Record Label A&R Do?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 2, 2002
www.money-tree.tv
What Does A Record Label A&R Do?
Body: The record label A&R position is probably one of the most hectic jobs in the music business. A&R stands for Artists & Repertoire. The main function of a record label A&R is to help their artists creatively while helping the record company financially by signing hit acts and developing them. They are usually music industry professionals that are hired to oversee the entire recording process which includes finding the right songs for their artist, working with the right music producers, finding the right recording studio, etc. A major record label A&R must stay on top of current music industry trends in order to create acts that will do well for the record label that employs them. Even if a record company A&R really likes a band they still may not be able to sign them. Usually it is the head record label A&R that makes the final decisions. The reason why being an A&R can be extremely stressful is because with every act that you sign your job is on the line. Since there is a high rate of failure in the music industry A&R people try to sign artists that are already somewhat established. If an A&R does not prove to the record label that they can generate hit acts they will be let go from the company.

Most A&R people were producers, promoters or artists themselves. Basically record label A&R people are hired to present a trustworthy face to artists and musicians. Usually record company A&R people are in their thirties because they are old enough to know what they are doing & young enough to know what the new trend is. If you get signed you better believe that it is just the beginning, there are still a lot of things that could go wrong. Someone at the record label may drop the ball or your record label A&R person may have to deal with flaky or unhappy music producers that arent really into the project and are too busy to put their heart in it. Youre A&R must also fight for you to get the attention of the record labels publicity, sales and promotion departments. It definitely takes a lot of work on an A&R persons part to get a recording artist from signing to being added to radio play lists and having a video on MTV. The recording process for a record label A&R is very intense because they must make sure that there are enough radio friendly songs on the release. If the A&R feels like there are not enough quality songs he / she will have the artist write and record more.

AllMusicIndustryContacts.com

Dana Dane

RIP Vallejo Kid
May 3, 2002
Speak for yourself cuss cuss!!!!

I know sarcasm when I see it, but a lot of people have really forgot or deviated from what the siccness should be. More artists should post here, more people from here should be sellin records, and we should be sharing information and TEACHING each other the game.

Apr 19, 2005
The thing that's crazy tho, is that this board is a microcosm of what it would be like if the bay went mainstream. Back in the day, lol, artists used to post here, and it used to be a tight knit little 'community'. Bay artists weren't getting any radio play, fans supported the 'underground' and it was all good. Now, the bay starts getting some radio play which equals more exposure to people who didn't follow the artists when they were underground. The result is that you get the newbees that can recite 'Super Hyphy' word for word (How? I'll never know) but look at you funny when you mention 3X Krazy. That type of fan carries over on to this site. That type of fan is thizzed out of his mind most of the time and posts nonsense on the board and gets into stupid arguments about nothing. That kind of shit repels the artists that would like to interact with the fans.

There seems to be a million of those little fuckers too. Imagine if all these cats actually bought some albums instead of asking for DLs as if they're entitled to them for free...

Dec 21, 2005
The thing that's crazy tho, is that this board is a microcosm of what it would be like if the bay went mainstream. Back in the day, lol, artists used to post here, and it used to be a tight knit little 'community'. Bay artists weren't getting any radio play, fans supported the 'underground' and it was all good. Now, the bay starts getting some radio play which equals more exposure to people who didn't follow the artists when they were underground. The result is that you get the newbees that can recite 'Super Hyphy' word for word (How? I'll never know) but look at you funny when you mention 3X Krazy. That type of fan carries over on to this site. That type of fan is thizzed out of his mind most of the time and posts nonsense on the board and gets into stupid arguments about nothing. That kind of shit repels the artists that would like to interact with the fans.

There seems to be a million of those little fuckers too. Imagine if all these cats actually bought some albums instead of asking for DLs as if they're entitled to them for free...

So real

Jul 30, 2005
hyphie.blogspot.com
Mrbaytastic said:

So real
welcome to 2005. you cant just put out good music and EXPECT people to pay for it. you have to be business minded and figure out what it takes to get the fans to not dl it and pay for it. i mean, mafuckaz probably gon download it anyway, so what can you sell them that they cant download? and i dont mean an album cover that turns into a poster (but that works), i mean shit thats not tangible.

Nov 16, 2005
good info, never really thought about what A&R's were when rappers mentioned them in songs..

but i agree with jayoyayo.. you can't expect ppl to purchase albums without first listening to it and then downloading it to have the freedom of listening to it however many times you want. it's like the next generation of the radio.

May 2, 2002
www.money-tree.tv
Thought everyone might like this info. I miss all the knowledge that people used to post up and I thought I would squeeze this in on everyone....

Mrbaytastic - Thanks for the love and support.... did you peep the thread with the new single? If not peep it and let me know how you like it.....

Da6footah - When you work for DefJam, don't forget me.... lol...