[VIDEO] Dregs One explores gentrification in San Francisco

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 23, 2006
www.myspace.com

What up y'all... this is a little video I put together discussing facts about gentrification in San Francisco. It tripped me out while I was making this because I already knew a little bit about it but I learned so much more during this process... also realized most people didn't really know about it.

"The Wake Up Report" is a video series I'm putting together where I talk about different issues in our community. I'm gonna try to do one every month until my debut solo album "The Wake Up Call" drops in 2011.

So check it out, give feedback, and spread the word y'all. Peace.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
Very nice man, you should have linked up with the dude J. DaVinci, he just dropped a whole album about the gentrification of Frisco at the start of the year.

Nov 23, 2006
www.myspace.com
Very nice man, you should have linked up with the dude J. DaVinci, he just dropped a whole album about the gentrification of Frisco at the start of the year.
yeah, i tried holler at him about being apart of this and he never got back to me so i kept it movin.

thanks to yall for the feedback i really appreciate it. lets try to keep shedding light on this subject..

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
Rent control usually leads to abandoned buildings filled with squatters and junkies, it usually worsens the problem is was designed to control because landlords are no longer able to maintain the buildings upkeep at the government mandated price ceiling. The market will always move to an equilibrium price especially in an area like SF bay where so many people want to live and do business. The best solution I can think of is education, your region has so many universities out there making it easy for lower class people to become displaced. In a 100 mile radius northern cali you have like 10 major universities and Ivy League schools, compared to the entire state of arizona which has 3. They can't push out out if you can compete with the people coming in.

Nov 23, 2006
www.myspace.com
^^^ interesting, never thought of it like that. wish i had known some of that before i made this. i did some research and never came across that kind of info. right on.

and thanks to everyone else who gave me feedback i really appreciate it..

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
Good shit Dregs, I like that you're taking the consciousness outside of rap & bringing it into everyday situations that effect us, the Bay Area citizens. What month do you think Wake Up Call will be ready?

Jun 24, 2002
the social conciousness has been missing for years from rap music, so it's always heart-warming to see projects like this!

Keep it movin Dregs!

Feb 10, 2005
This has been going on for generations upon generations, everywhere. Its sad but in a way its kind of the food chain. Come up and stay or stay idle and be forced out. Its pretty much life in a nutshell.

What happens to the local artists and what not when they make it big, earn alot of money or become successful? i tell ya what, they probably move out. Im sure that doesnt help either but its just the way it goes.

Other than an organized form of intimidation(which i dont condone) theres really nothing much you can legally do to actually stop it. You may slow it down but i dont think it can be stopped.

What can be done is to keep the culture of SF alive(whatever this is for the neighborhood and city), pass it on, reach one and teach one this will ensure that atleast the meaning of being a san franciscian stays alive and well. On the flip side of that coin, the cutlture is one of the main reason why people want to move out to San Francisco.

Stay in school, education yourself, make money and invest locally.

May 16, 2002
What happens to the local artists and what not when they make it big, earn alot of money or become successful? i tell ya what, they probably move out. Im sure that doesnt help either but its just the way it goes.
I'm gonna play devil's advocate here, but can you imagine being worth over a million dollars, owning fancy cars, living it up in the middle of the hood? Having your kids go to school with the general population and letting them walk home after school?

I'm not going against the grain, or arguing with anybody in here. I understand what what this discussion is about, but fact of the matter is that the truly rich folks can't live in the hood. They simply put something up in the hood and call it "giving back," but will use it as a tax write off, so in reality they don't give a shit. It just looks good on paper.

Nov 23, 2006
www.myspace.com
^^^i feel like anyone with that kind of paper that comes out of the hood is responsible to do what they can to bring others with them. using that money to invest in local businesses, help out community groups and organizations, and just making your presence felt in the area can go a long way. many people just get out and never look back.

and to bayboy, the attitude that we cant do anything about it will get us nowhere... we have to be willing to stand up and do something about these problems that affect us.

Nov 23, 2006
www.myspace.com
Good shit Dregs, I like that you're taking the consciousness outside of rap & bringing it into everyday situations that effect us, the Bay Area citizens. What month do you think Wake Up Call will be ready?
i appreciate that fam... right now ive recorded about 45 songs, im gonna keep recording for about another month or so and pick the best of the lot. the leftovers will go on a free mixtape before the album drops. so im expecting to drop the mixtape between april-june, with the album a month or two after.

May 16, 2002
^^^i feel like anyone with that kind of paper that comes out of the hood is responsible to do what they can to bring others with them. using that money to invest in local businesses, help out community groups and organizations, and just making your presence felt in the area can go a long way. many people just get out and never look back.
MC Hammer did exactly that and once he went broke the hood laughed & disregarded him like he was a joke. Because he gave back to the community. Buying homes for people etc. Putting money behind the Oakland Police Dept. Granted they have they're bad cops (there's bad cops everywhere) we all know that, but is it right to call Hammer a "snitch" etc. ?

Look at it through Hammer's eyes. There is nothing wrong with a man wanting to change his community for the better and having a good intention to make it a safe place for children etc. to live in. Fact of the matter is, the hood doesn't want a change. A lot of "hoods, barrios, ghettos" whatever you decide to call it scream for community support, but they don't want regular jobs. They love that fast / dope money and too many people strung out on it in every part of your city. Only difference is, the higher class hides it a lot better.

That's just one example of how I tend to view this whole, "Get rich & give back." thing. Again, I'm not trying to discredit anybody's good intention, but there are somethings that are just facts & happen to be the root of the problem. I'm also not saying to not give back, but don't go broke doing it. One rich man can't save the hood / world. People have to unite and want that change. And at this point, it's still a dream.