Rolling Stone Article About Kreayshawn & her Debut LP "Somethin’ Bout Kreay"

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

recklessofgilaz

Im Gay until I log back in
Oct 30, 2008
Gilaz with Track Killa and Vince
Rolling Stone Article About Kreayshawn & her Debut LP "Somethin’ Bout Kreay"

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/kreayshawn-to-brush-off-critics-on-fun-a-debut-album-20120517

"Kreayshawn to Brush Off Critics on ‘Fun-A**’ Debut Album"

View attachment 110245

Bay Area rapper Kreayshawn pays her haters no mind. The 22-year-old rose to prominence last May when the video for her swagged-out ode to anti-materialism, “Gucci Gucci,” went viral, logging almost 35 million YouTube views - and more than 33,000 “dislikes” – to date. With her Columbia Records debut Somethin’ Bout Kreay now slated for a summer release, Kreayshawn says she couldn’t care less if people dismiss it.

“I think there are people who are just waiting to hate. This could be the best album in the world and they’ll hate it anyway,” Kreayshawn, born Natassia Gail Zolot, tells Rolling Stone. “I’m not really concerned with trying to turn haters into believers. I just think it’s going to be a fun-ass album for my fans that I have now, and for people who have only heard one song.”

Kreayshawn enlisted producers Diplo, Boys Noize, DJ Two Stacks and Jean Baptiste to broaden her hyphy-leaning sound. “One song will be like, super hip-hop, and one song will be like Bay Area hyphy music, and another will be like Chicago house juke music and one will be New Orleans crazy booty-bounce music. And one will be a crazy, witch-house-sounding track,” says Kreayshawn. The LP also features guest appearances from 2 Chainz, Kid Cudi, Sissy Nobby, DB tha General, Chippy Nonstop and V-Nasty.

Album cut “Twerkin’” features a hook from the track’s producer Diplo, who Kreayshawn says inspired her to pursue her film career (she’s directed videos for Soulja Boy Tell’em and Lil B). “When I grow up, I want to be like Diplo, for sure,” she says. For the Kid Cudi-assisted “Like It or Love It,” she says the pair drew from punk’s influence. “We were in the studio and we kind of made a new song with a whole new genre … [Cudi] actually played some guitar on the song and we made a break there with instruments,” Kreayshawn says. “The song is just like, punk. If you like it, then do it. Do whatever you want if it makes you happy.”

Since inking a rumored $1 million deal with Columbia in June 2011, Kreayshawn has laid relatively low, appearing as a featured guest on tracks by 2 Chainz and Juicy J and building up her performance chops with a headlining slot on last year’s Noisey college tour. In the meantime, other white female rappers have penetrated the game like Iggy Azalea and Kitty Pryde, whose “Okay Cupid” video has drawn comparisons to Kreayshawn for her aloof delivery and teen appeal.

“I saw her stuff. She’s cute. I love kitties,” Kreayshawn giggles. “I wouldn’t say [her flow is] similar at all. Her style is super poetic and well-written. My style is more like freestyle, crazy, whatever I’m thinking of. Ponies and blah blah blah. But her shit is tight, for sure.”

With her self-described “super upbeat” and “uptempo” debut arriving in a few months, Kreayshawn says she’s also cooking up duets with Insane Clown Posse, Sissy Nobby and pop-rap duo Millionaires. The former Berkeley Digital Film Institute student is also itching to pick back up the camera soon, and she hopes to record a new mixtape while promoting Somethin’ Bout Kreay, which will be released as a special-edition cassette tape for 100 fans. As for those haters? “I hope that this makes them think that they should shut up and listen to my album every day of their lives.”

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
While I agree with what Gabe said I think Reckless should make a Kreayshawn mega-thread like we do for certain artists in the general hip-hop forum. She does seem to have a few fans on here regardless if you like her or not and it would help declutter BART by doing so.

recklessofgilaz

Oct 30, 2008
While I agree with what Gabe said I think Reckless should make a Kreayshawn mega-thread like we do for certain artists in the general hip-hop forum. She does seem to have a few fans on here regardless if you like her or not and it would help declutter BART by doing so.
I should probably do that but only if it becomes Vital lol

recklessofgilaz

Oct 30, 2008
No worries, There are far worse spamming going on... this is nothing..
thanx L @LOOTER oF tHE NEW CHURCH for not banning me lol I really mean no harm I'm just a supporter of her music and post up stuff about her now and then to keep the board poppin you know what i mean?

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Why would it be vital? No offense breh but not that many people on here care about Kreayshawn. None of the threads like that in the general hip-hop are vital we just find them again when they are off the first page and there is new music, info, tour dates, etc about the artist(s).

Oct 10, 2005
wait this fool seriously bumps Kreayshawn? lol