Question

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
Know what I trip on? Is that I see cats on here all day sayin support Bay this support Bay that, but then I see the same names downloading burnt CDs of these "bay" Northern Cali artists. While they save up they lunch money and allowances and run to the store to go buy 50 Cent, Jay-Z, Snoop, etc.... as Krs-One asked years ago, WHY IS THAT?

When I put together my new shit, I took tracks off of other albums I have done or been on, and I made sure I put some brand new tracks on there. I know how many units went out, and to who. Then I hear feedback from folks I know were'nt sent a CD, so I see some cats be gettin down like that, all I can say is BUMP it loud, all promotion is good.

Killa Valley I seen yall name on that site too, along with Messy Marv, and some Done Deal.

Apr 25, 2002
www.dugoutent.com
I can feel your frustration on this because I do know that there are alot of cats on here and plenty of other sites that say support Indie Music etc. Then go and burn it and never buy the album and pass it around to they friends. That is irritating as hell but almost impossible to stop.

See, you can have someone who does "faithfully" support Indie Music and goes out and buys the cd. Then the funny thing is..some of these cats put they copy up on Kazaa etc. and then wha lah you got a FREE cd download of a new album from searching for it. See you get the one sale but you lack the other re-occuring sales....that does kill it.

These are frustrating times in music and anyone really trying to make moves knows this. Bootlegging, Downloading, Filesharing etc. is winning the game right now...it's a sign of the times. But like anything...a good hustler will find a way to adjust to it and make it work in their favor. This, I know you yourself have done Reese cause we have talked. Some would rather chose to be upset about the game and bitch about it.

I choose to find the route to use the BAD thang and turn it into a positive. The whole reason I support Filesharing and the FTI Movement. If you know you have solid music and know that the fans once hearing it are going to love it and want more...bootlegg a track of your own or for that matter a few. Use that shit to your advantage as a PROMO opportunity. Give these cats some FREE shit lettem burn it and pass it to they friends etc. Let them know what album it's coming on and all your contact info. You WILL hear back from cats..."GUARRANTEED". I know first hand.

To some that sucks because you most likely paid studio time to record that track, maybe even paid for the beat it's over and you dont just want to give that away. But it's a sacrifice that me personally, I am willing to make in order to build anticipation, gain listeners and so much more. I encourage them to take that single or whatever and upload it on Morpheous, Kazaa etc. Shit I did it myself on Kazaa so cats can find it easily too.

Now if you ask me bout actual BOOTLEGGING where someone takes your music, burns it then ends up at the FLEA selling it...they deserve a gat to the brain. That is a whole nother realm of things right there and probably 100x's more frustrating than Filesharing and Napster etc.

Playa Rae
my 40-8 cents.

DJ Mark 7

djmark7.com
Jul 18, 1977
www.djmark7.com
I think if people REALLY dig an album, they'll buy it. Last year, more people were downloading than ever, yet CD sales went UP...I do NOT agree with bootlegging (ie. selling product you downloaded) but I see nothing wrong with cats getting to HEAR an album before they waste their hard earned cash on garbage...

Just my 2 cents

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
DJ Mark 7 said:
I think if people REALLY dig an album, they'll buy it. Last year, more people were downloading than ever, yet CD sales went UP...I do NOT agree with bootlegging (ie. selling product you downloaded) but I see nothing wrong with cats getting to HEAR an album before they waste their hard earned cash on garbage...

Just my 2 cents
For reals, if i downloaded a classic, id go buy it.