Iconic late Antioch rapper Woodie's headstone disappears

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 6, 2014
Earth
Iconic late Antioch rapper Woodie's headstone disappears

Two years before he died under mysterious circumstances in 2007, the famed rapper Ryan “Woodie” Wood released a song where he requested to be laid to rest in Antioch, his hometown.

A memorial headstone for Ryan Mitchell Wood, aka Woodie, that was stolen from the Holy Cross Cemetery in Antioch, CA. (Courtesy of Storm Wolf)
A memorial headstone for Ryan Mitchell Wood, aka Woodie, that was stolen from the Holy Cross Cemetery in Antioch, CA. (Courtesy of Storm Wolf)
“When I die just let my body lie in peace/Beneath the earth and sky of Antioch on East 18th,” Wood raps on the song. Last August, his friends honored that request, installing a headstone at Holy Cross Ceremony in Antioch. While it didn’t contain his remains, the site became a place for his friends and loved ones to feel connected to Wood.

Flowers rest on an empty space where the headstone of Ryan Mitchell Wood,aka Woodie, was stolen on or near April 20, 2018
Flowers rest on an empty space where the headstone of Ryan Mitchell Wood, aka Woodie, was stolen on or near April 20, 2018.
“That’s where he wanted to be,” said Antioch rapper Big Tone, a close friend of Wood’s, who declined to give his real name. “It was a place for us to go and pay our tribute to him out here.”

That is, until April 20, when the headstone turned up missing, apparently dug up and stolen during the night. His friends and fans have reacted with shock and sadness, and now they are raising money for what they hope is a more permanent replacement.

“I felt that was beyond disrespectful,” said Brandon “B-Dawg” Rivera, who appeared on songs with Wood throughout his career. “He’s been gone for quite a few years now and for them to have the audacity to do something like that, I don’t understand it.”

Employees at the cemetery declined to comment.

Wood’s friends say they have no idea who took it, but there are theories. Among them: an obsessive fan, a thief wanting to sell it, or a rival who took gang references in Wood’s lyrics as a challenge.

“I wasn’t 100 percent surprised; I just was hoping it wouldn’t happen,” said Storm Wolf, Wood’s close friend who organized the headstone’s installation. “As loved as he was, there were people who hated him that much too.”

Wood began his rap career in the late 1990s, releasing his first album, “Yoc Influenced,” in 1998. Starting in 2000, he began a series of popular compilation albums called “Northern Exposure.”

He was known for his fast-paced style and gritty, adrenalized but also introspective lyrics. Many of his songs were based on real life — hints that his friend Gabriel “Snoop” Roberson had been framed for murder, or personal dilemmas he faced. A 2000 Contra Costa Times article by Celeste Ward says his songs were: “filled with references to gangs, guns, enemies, police, snitches, and, with an interesting frequency, conscience. Woodie often brings up sins, forgiveness and the Bible in his raps about revenge and thug life.”

“When you listen to his music, there were a lot of things he said to try to teach the youth so they wouldn’t make the same mistakes,” Rivera said. “He studied and did his homework…He didn’t talk just to talk.”

Wood started as an underground rapper, but after his first release began selling, he secured distribution at national music store chains like Tower Records. Once established, he was known for offering lesser-known rappers a platform, like Big Tone, who says Wood gave him a slot on a song when he was 17.

“He turned my life around,” said Big Tone, who now owns a barbershop in Antioch. “Up to then I was up to no good and that gave me hope to do something different.”

His March 2007 death, like the disappearance of his headstone, was abrupt and details are murky. Several fan blogs and online forums say he committed suicide in Florence, Ore. Officials with Lane County and Oregon state contacted by this newspaper were unable to locate records of his death.

“I’ll just say that the authorities said he took his own life and leave it at that,” Wolf said. “(Wood’s death) is difficult for me to talk about, even 10 years later…It is still very painful.”

He added, “I would not believe everything you read on the Internet.”

In 2016, after an epiphany led Wolf to change his own life, get an education and settle down, he began saving money for Wood’s headstone. It took him a year, but last August, it all came together. Wood’s friends and loved ones held a celebration of life the day it was installed, and Wolf said the events that day gave them all much-needed closure.

Since the theft, they have started a GoFundMe page to build a much bigger memorial that can’t be removed.

“It was unfortunate, but maybe we can all chip in and do something big for him,” Big Tone said. “From something negative, something positive can always come out of it.”

Jul 9, 2007
. I talked to him about a week before and he was in good spirits.
This is what you usually hear from people after someone commits suicide. Mental illness includes hiding it from even your closest friends and family. It is very much a internal struggle no matter how you seem on the outside. It's hard for people to believe but sometimes people that seem happy can and will kill themselves. No conspiracy. Just mental illness. RIP to all those that had a illness that was more than they could handle.

recklessofgilaz

Im Gay until I log back in
Oct 30, 2008
Gilaz with Track Killa and Vince
First thing I thought was some tweaks stole it. Did woodie really kill himself or how did he die? Anybody know?
Well when I went to a Davina show back in 2008 she told the crowd that Woodie committed suicide. Which to me sounded like it was the case cause she knew him and worked with him during the end of his life but I’ve heard stories otherwise so i don’t know who or what to believe

dalycity650

Barlito's Way
Feb 8, 2006
This is what you usually hear from people after someone commits suicide. Mental illness includes hiding it from even your closest friends and family. It is very much a internal struggle no matter how you seem on the outside. It's hard for people to believe but sometimes people that seem happy can and will kill themselves. No conspiracy. Just mental illness. RIP to all those that had a illness that was more than they could handle.
Amen brother.

dalycity650

Barlito's Way
Feb 8, 2006
Well, surenos certainly didn't like him. That's for sure.
That isn’t entirely true. I’ve met some down ass surenos that respected woodie because he spoke some real ass shit. Sure, he hated scraps or whatever but besides that his street raps were on a upper level other “Chicano” rappers couldn’t touch. Trust me man, if you a real mothafucka people gonna respect you no matter what side you on. But anyway, there were surenos that hated him, some Nortes hated him as well.

Why did the East Co. Co. Rappers always give props to blackbird even though he killed his two daughters then smoked himself instead of going to jail? That's some fucked up shit. Taking two innocent lives when he could have just taken his own life is a coward move in my book. Also since a Death certificate has never been produced for Ryan Wood has anyone ever thought that he might have went underground, created a new identity and disappeared? There are still a lot of questions to be answered about this. His Music is Classic though, I still bump the Remastered Demons in my sleep album and the Northern Exposure Comps.

Rusto

Sicc OG
Nov 2, 2002
Why did the East Co. Co. Rappers always give props to blackbird even though he killed his two daughters then smoked himself instead of going to jail? That's some fucked up shit. Taking two innocent lives when he could have just taken his own life is a coward move in my book. Also since a Death certificate has never been produced for Ryan Wood has anyone ever thought that he might have went underground, created a new identity and disappeared? There are still a lot of questions to be answered about this. His Music is Classic though, I still bump the Remastered Demons in my sleep album and the Northern Exposure Comps.
Blackbird's friends believe the cops swarmed the house and killed Blackbird and his daughters.