How Boots Riley Infiltrated Hollywood

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 18, 2013
East Fresno
Good profile of Boots and his new movie in the New York Times Magazine this week:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/22/magazine/how-boots-riley-infiltrated-hollywood.html

"Among the questions the movie raises is whether black success within capitalism is something to reflexively celebrate or whether the success of individuals who belong to an exploited class serves to ratify and consolidate rather than thwart or ameliorate the system doing the exploiting. Discussing this question, Riley used the example of the resolutely capitalist Jay-Z: 'When people listen to Jay-Z, they're working all day or trying to work and pay their bills, and what they hear is someone who's free. Who doesn't have to worry about the electricity. But all we're taught is that those who are rich deserve to be rich because they worked harder than the rest of us or they're smarter. And this may be true of some of those folks, but there are definitely very poor people who are very smart and work hard. It's just that this system can only have a few people on the top. So Jay-Z is saying: "You can do this, too, I'm trying to give you game," and it ends up explaining poverty as a system of bad choices. Yes, maybe you can make better choices and be the crab that gets out of the bucket but that'll be at the expense of all the other crabs in the bucket."
The movie looks good:

Hood Rat Matt

aka Goodfella (since '02)
Oct 19, 2009
East Oakland (Hills)
Boots has always been able to adapt and grow with the times. I've always had a lot of respect for him as an artist. Never sold out...always stayed consistent with his ideology and message.

Me and Jesus the Pimp in a 79 Granada Last Night is a classic. If you younger dudes haven't heard it, listen-
Audio (unedited):

Video (no cussing):

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
i dont even know boots and the few times ive ran into him, hes shown me love as if he knew me.....this was back in the late 90s when i lived in frisco and literally knew no one. when id be at work id see him come into where i worked at the time (virgin megastore) and hed acknowledge me before i could do that to him.

definitely underrated and its a pleasure to have him as a cali representative. what he does and how he thinks is not too often found. we need people like him.

peace to DJ Pam BTW...first woman DJ ive ever seen scratch with her titties.....lmao

Jan 29, 2016
East Palo Alto
www.youtube.com
Are you a "younger cat" you don't look too young in the video's you have posted here before. No disrespect meant I just thought you were closer to my age and I'm 40.
Compared to most of y'all I would day so. And that video was in negative to it didn't do me justice shit u cant even see my curls was on point in the video it just looks like an afro lol

I'm 25 turning 26 in November.

I grew up with a older crowd so ive always felt "old school" compared to the everyone around my age. Shit I still rock dickies with my huaraches out here