GOOD WAYS TO EXPAND MUSICALLY, AND PROMOTIONALLY?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

nobe

Sicc OG
Oct 2, 2008
waddup yall,
dis is nobe. im a rapper coming up in the game trying to find new ways to acheive more listener's and to gain more of a fan base. i know there are a lot of people on this forum who are really doing their things and i think i could get some positive feedback on how to step up my game. anything yall have to say would really help me out.

so far:

ive released mixtapes.
albums that ive produced.
sold beats.
put out music videos.
done shows.

any other ideas yall have for me would help me out a lot. and im sure theres other people who would read into this and appreciate the help.

good lookin out yall.

-nobe

Aug 25, 2008
I can't give much advice myself, you are deeper in the game than I am at this point, but what I do realize the importance of is networking. for example, I have never really worked with a vocalist before, I just make beats, and I got a new track I just made at myspace.com/worldonlock. I am not a rapper, but if you or anybody you know can spit and record, not just freestyle, then I will email it to you... aside from that, just stay active here on siccness, you'll always get good feedback, and keep that ear to the street... I know at one point, someone mentioned keeping an epk (electronic press kit) on deck at all times. good luck...

Jan 22, 2007
Travel to a town that does not really have a poppin' music scene but has a decent population and create a good relationship with the people who promote events and the main "urban" radio stations all while promoting yourself and thus gaining exposure for a city that is not known musically yet causing a flood of attention and possibly getting a deal (Indie or Major) and not having to compete with 50,000 or so rappers who are trying to do the same thing. You could sell you music locally and get some of the same numbers mainstream artist are getting (50k-75k)and leverage that to do shows and tour nationally and internationally.....The key right now is your market....Most of California is just way too saturated with artists and the competition is just too strong to try and break into the game.....But in say, Vegas, the music scene is not that intense and more opportunities are available.....

Toro

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2006
www.myspace.com
I have no idea how this works, but get on someone's tour. That's really really gonna expose you and get you way more listeners if you have somewhat of the same style/sound as the main artists on the tour.

nobe

Sicc OG
Oct 2, 2008
thank u for all the advice yo.
anybody got some different type shit that would be good to try? sellin ur own type of bo hahahahaha lemme know...im tryna find some new ways to get in

Apr 8, 2004
sup nobe, here are my thoughts.

1. exploit free resources that allow you to communicate with and cultivate your fanbase like myspace, facebook, youtube, ning, bebo etc for starters. then from there move into more advanced stuff like email and mms text messaging campaigns. always keep a dialogue open with your fans, and send them something interesting.

2. make yourself accessible and be sure to promote everything you do and where to find you (cd releases, videos, website, myspace, twitter, cell number, email) on all collateral you send out - videos, cd artwork, web presence, flyers, posters, email, etc. too many rappers are hard to find - it's like dude, i got money for you wtf?

3. put together a solid press kit. personally i hate epks, but if you don't want to pay for printing then a PDF would do I guess. a physical press kit generally consists of the following things: good quality folder, 8x10 photo, biography, newspaper/magazine clippings, cd with your music. use this to get more shows and writeups in publications.

4. always have somthing to hand somebody be it a cd, flyer, etc. increase the likelihood of the consumer remembbering you out of the other 50 rappers they've met.

5. network, but be skeptical of industry friends.

Oct 7, 2008
be original. try using live music vs. only keyboards and computer samples. not just with a live band like the roots, but try to use live instruments on tape as well as at shows. don't use other dude's slang. if you want to stand out the most important thing is be yourself, be original, people notice that. too many lemmings in music, not just rap, music in general is super trendy. just keep trying but always have a backup plan (degree, job w/ benefits, etc) remember the music industry is fickle

waddup yall,
dis is nobe. im a rapper coming up in the game trying to find new ways to acheive more listener's and to gain more of a fan base. i know there are a lot of people on this forum who are really doing their things and i think i could get some positive feedback on how to step up my game. anything yall have to say would really help me out.

so far:

ive released mixtapes.
albums that ive produced.
sold beats.
put out music videos.
done shows.

any other ideas yall have for me would help me out a lot. and im sure theres other people who would read into this and appreciate the help.

good lookin out yall.

-nobe