Favorite "Mac Breakdowns"

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
It's been awhile since I've listened to a lot of old YBB stuff, but I remember Khayree used to use a lot of those Mac Breakdowns where he switches up the beat, and I'm trying to explain this to one of my producer homies. What do y'all think are the best classic examples of the mac breakdown?

Jun 6, 2007
Mac Dre- "What You Like" sometimes called "Coldest MC"

no doubt this one. Theres actually more than one breakdown in this i think but the ending is just nuts with the beat breakdown/ dre KILLIN IT. this is the perfect example for your homie.

and make sure you listen to the whole version which is like a little more than 5 minutes long.

Apr 25, 2002
It's been awhile since I've listened to a lot of old YBB stuff, but I remember Khayree used to use a lot of those Mac Breakdowns where he switches up the beat, and I'm trying to explain this to one of my producer homies. What do y'all think are the best classic examples of the mac breakdown?

its like a verse long bridge, but "Mac" breakdowns have like total contrast from the verse/chorus. he keeps the same tempo but use different instruments, drums, rhythms. "Sic Wit Tis" last verse is a mac breakdown. and both 8 bar sections of that 16 bar break down are different from each other too. then theres "Got 2 Survive" where Malls whole verse is different. tell him listen to "Black Market" by Doomsday, Lynch, and Mr. Doctor a few times. every verse has a different music combination. you may not notice unless you like listening for that shit. but your producer should like listening for that shit. but in "Black Market", its not as extreme as Khayrees "Mac" breakdown. its just all about not following standard structure. hes gonna have a hard time learning anything different buy listenting to just hip hop. hip hop for the most part "musically" is simple, as far as arranging. most hip hop artists dont do "lyrical" pre-chorus's or bridges so theres not much use in changing up the music. unless you want to be different.

R8R

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
Young Lay "Got 2 Survive" is another dope one with Ray, Mall & Pac

Mac Mall "Sic Wit Tis"

Dubee "My Thang"

and I seem to remember one on "Raining Game" off the Blackalation, dont have it with me though to check it