Tech N9ne Presents JL- DIBKIS

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

JOK3R187

Ferocious Mackadoshis
Jun 17, 2005

1. Strange the World
2. Two Up (feat. Tech N9ne & Suli4q)
3. Own Thang
4. Hate Nature
5. Out da Hood (feat. Nef The Pharaoh)
6. Saturday (feat. Tech N9ne, The Popper & Marley Young)
7. Risky (feat. Navé Monjo)
8. Catch a Wave (feat. Joey Cool)
9. Password
10. Technology (feat. Tech N9ne)
11. Fuck Everything
12. Done to Me
13. Propaganda
14. Elevated (feat. Krizz Kaliko, Emilio Rojas, Joey Cool & Adrian Truth)
15. This Time (feat. Church Boi)

Copped but have yet to listen other than the singles and the pre-order track that Strange dropped, I've always dug JL with his often unorthodox rhyme scheme although a lot of the overly emotional Tech fan's that expect dude to be in a hole 24/7 don't care for him much as his content doesn't cater to their around the clock depression.

Anyone else cop/heard and what are your thoughts?

JOK3R187

Ferocious Mackadoshis
Jun 17, 2005
What are your thoughts on this?
This album is dope but forgettable. I listened to it twice and I remember more from Stevie's album. However, I really disliked Stevie's album the first time through, but turned out to love it. I will be spinning this a few more times.
After a thorough listen twice through, I'd have to agree with L.D.S., I feel it was a solid debut although I can see myself not really reaching for a few of these tracks in future...

Hate Nature, Catching Waves w/ Joey Cool, Done To Me w/ Wrek and This Time w/ Church Boi are my picks off top thus far in... Tech's verses are dope on each of his slots (as per usual) too although I don't know how I feel about the hooks on all three of those at this stage.

I could also say the same for Stevie's album, there's literally two or three I won't care to go back to but the remainder for the most part were solid additions to his catalogue. I find the out of house production he went with had a lot to do with that though...

Purps of 808 Mafia, The MEKANIX, Fredwreck, Dem Jointz, Scott Storch etc. all of whom are notable producers outside the Strange camp was a refreshing addition to just having a whole project with the majority of it laced by Seven all the time.

As talented as the man is and minus the fact that he's appointed as in-house producer, it can get a little monotonous given much of him we've had since Everready dropped and even though he's churned out some of the best in Tech's catalogue, it's just a welcome change to see some of these other notable beat makers lace us with some unfamiliar soundscapes every so often.

Aug 21, 2009
Solid review. I listened to a few more tracks, and just can't get all the way in to it. When I first heard "Own Thang", I was excited for the album. It just didn't really live up to the hype I personally made for it I guess.

L.D.S.

The Bakersman
Aug 14, 2006
Mizzourah
After a thorough listen twice through, I'd have to agree with L.D.S., I feel it was a solid debut although I can see myself not really reaching for a few of these tracks in future...

Hate Nature, Catching Waves w/ Joey Cool, Done To Me w/ Wrek and This Time w/ Church Boi are my picks off top thus far in... Tech's verses are dope on each of his slots (as per usual) too although I don't know how I feel about the hooks on all three of those at this stage.

I could also say the same for Stevie's album, there's literally two or three I won't care to go back to but the remainder for the most part were solid additions to his catalogue. I find the out of house production he went with had a lot to do with that though...

Purps of 808 Mafia, The MEKANIX, Fredwreck, Dem Jointz, Scott Storch etc. all of whom are notable producers outside the Strange camp was a refreshing addition to just having a whole project with the majority of it laced by Seven all the time.

As talented as the man is and minus the fact that he's appointed as in-house producer, it can get a little monotonous given much of him we've had since Everready dropped and even though he's churned out some of the best in Tech's catalogue, it's just a welcome change to see some of these other notable beat makers lace us with some unfamiliar soundscapes every so often.
I'm fairly burnt out with Seven's production, or maybe Ben's mixing. I don't know, rightly, but Tech albums are sonically not my favorite as of late. I like the shit he's been doing with film composers, though, so I'm hoping he'll do more of that. Stevie's album was almost insulting given the second half of the album is about sex and love. Dude's sex game must have been through the roof when he made the last effort. That's what I hated most about it. After Old School, it was a rather bland RnB album, at first. I grew to enjoy some of it, but I honestly just listen to mostly the front half.

I'm spinning JL again today. But, honestly, his Brainscatter albums were fucking nuts. Adderal, too. So, it's strange(not the good type of pun) that his big time debut doesn't have the same weight immediately as his independent albums did.

JOK3R187

Ferocious Mackadoshis
Jun 17, 2005
I'm fairly burnt out with Seven's production, or maybe Ben's mixing. I don't know, rightly, but Tech albums are sonically not my favorite as of late. I like the shit he's been doing with film composers, though, so I'm hoping he'll do more of that. Stevie's album was almost insulting given the second half of the album is about sex and love. Dude's sex game must have been through the roof when he made the last effort. That's what I hated most about it. After Old School, it was a rather bland RnB album, at first. I grew to enjoy some of it, but I honestly just listen to mostly the front half.

I'm spinning JL again today. But, honestly, his Brainscatter albums were fucking nuts. Adderal, too. So, it's strange(not the good type of pun) that his big time debut doesn't have the same weight immediately as his independent albums did.
LOL @ dude's sex game, I hear you. I dug Wavelength within that section a lot as Kaliko's vocals were reminiscent of his older hook work and complimented the tracks soulful backdrop, although I could definitely see how you would feel that way, I got that vibe from the second portion's structure myself. But than he quickly took a dive for the worst with 'I Got It' - I can't stand that track. I could say the same for Whippin' Up, disappointing given the Storch hookup.

I agree with JL's prior full lengths having the edge over his Strange debut, the brainscatter series were both solid additions to his catalogue. Have yet to hear Adderall and Breaking Bad News w/ Info Gates which those that have heard seem to give praise to...