Tech N9ne mentions ZER0 MEDIA in Seepage interview

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 27, 2007
Strange Music Blog EXCLUSIVE: Tech Talks ‘Seepage’

Given the release of the Seepage EP and the positive response it has garnered from fans, we thought it’d be good to hear from the man himself what he thinks about the EP and the acclaim that it has generated. In between shows on the Independent Grind Tour and Meet and Greets, we were able to get Tech on the phone to share his thoughts. Here’s what he had to say.

A lot of response from Seepage has been pretty positive–

Yeah I’ve been reading everything on therealtechn9ne.com and thesiccness.net for the last three days.

Oh yeah?

I’ve been reading everything.

It seems that your core fanbase really loves the darker stuff. How does that make you feel? Does it ever make you feel limited in what you can do in terms of your output?

I think I did it to myself by being inside-out so I can’t cry about it, you know what I’m saying? Obviously, if I couldn’t do that kind of music I wouldn’t. I guess I’m good at it: the stuff that I want to get away from. So it’s like, I can’t be a crybaby. Maybe I should start talking about Seepage, because I’m going to continue to get mad when people ask me and they don’t really understand so it’s like…I can’t cry about it if I’m the one who put it out there! You know what I’m sizzlin’? Why the fuck am I going to cry about it? I just got to take it in and realize that they love me for the crazy things that I say and the crazy things I’ve been saying since Anghellic or even before that.

Did any claims that you went soft inspire any of the material?

It pissed me off. It pissed me off before I went to Europe–and with all the bad news on top of it, that fueled me to go ahead and make it. But yes, it pissed me off, and when I say “you fucktards” it’s dedicated to those people who said I was going soft on The Gates Mixed Plate when it was an album where I wanted to relax, you know what I’m sizzlin’? They didn’t peep that they just put it like “Oh he’s whack. He’s sucking mainstream dick. Oh he’s losing his touch” and everything. In “Seepage” when I say “fucktards” it’s dedicated to those people who said they weren’t looking forward to seeing my next album because I was going mainstream and sucking mainstream dick when I told them that the mainstream was going to go me.

It seemed to me that you let people know well ahead of time that you were just going to be kicking it with The Gates Mixed Plate.

Yeah.

And yet they still responded the way they did.

It pissed me off hella! After that I felt like I had something to prove to my fans. I always feel like I have to impress my fans, even people on the siccness, zero media…a lot of people that usually say the negative stuff: those people, as much as it pisses me off sometimes with what the fuck they say, they motivate me to do something even harder. I’m going to always need people like Zero Media to not agree with everything I fucking do. I mean, that’s just me talking real even though I don’t like a lot of shit that they say.

How did you come up with the name Seepage? What does that mean to you?

If you look at the K.O.D. cover, I have black tar substance coming out of my hands. That seepage is coming out of my eye on the cover.

When did you record these? Was it after you got back from Europe?

Yes.

Tell me about “Alucard”. A lot of fans are digging the hell out of that song. What does it mean to you and what does the title mean?

“Alucard” is Dracula backwards and the reason I say I’m Dracula is because I’ve been in this rap game since it started and I’ve seen the rise and fall of a lot of MCs and I’m still here on the incline. So I feel like a vampire, Dracula: everlasting life in this music game, you know what I’m sizzlin’? At the end I said names like 40-water (E-40), Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, Outkast, because I feel like all these other people have been around just like me and still on the incline.

Click here to purchase your copy of The Seepage EP on iTunes.

Nov 14, 2002
I've already been mentioned.

Besides it's actually nice to read that shit. Tech knows I've been supporting him and Strange for a long time now and if I say something is wack then it's coming from a dude that doesn't just download everything he puts out, troll the board and then talk shit on it. I buy the merch, I buy the tickets, I buy the cd's, and at the end of the day when I hear something like Gates I'm disappointed.

One thing I can say is that I was never a person that said the album sounded "commercial." I don't know what the definition of "commercial" is anymore because I don't listen to the radio and honestly I didn't even listen to Gates more than three times or so. I was just disappointed in it all around. It has nothing to do with Tech "going mainstream" or anything remotely close to that. I just have certain expectations from Tech's music, so when you make albums with inconsistent styles you're not going to please everyone.

I just so happens that I hang out here and am able to voice my opinions whether they're positive or not. I personally think Tech shines when he doesn't have features or repetitive hooks. His best shit is his darker shit... AP isn't even a "dark" album but it's the shit. "Slither", "Worst Enemy", "T9X"... The album is diverse and it's the shit. It doesn't have to be "dark" , just... not... shitty.

Plus I'm pretty sure the only albums I've ever really disliked were Gates and Sickology, and that's mostly because of the HORRID features.

Feb 18, 2006
I've already been mentioned.

Besides it's actually nice to read that shit. Tech knows I've been supporting him and Strange for a long time now and if I say something is wack then it's coming from a dude that doesn't just download everything he puts out, troll the board and then talk shit on it. I buy the merch, I buy the tickets, I buy the cd's, and at the end of the day when I hear something like Gates I'm disappointed.

One thing I can say is that I was never a person that said the album sounded "commercial." I don't know what the definition of "commercial" is anymore because I don't listen to the radio and honestly I didn't even listen to Gates more than three times or so. I was just disappointed in it all around. It has nothing to do with Tech "going mainstream" or anything remotely close to that. I just have certain expectations from Tech's music, so when you make albums with inconsistent styles you're not going to please everyone.

I just so happens that I hang out here and am able to voice my opinions whether they're positive or not. I personally think Tech shines when he doesn't have features or repetitive hooks. His best shit is his darker shit... AP isn't even a "dark" album but it's the shit. "Slither", "Worst Enemy", "T9X"... The album is diverse and it's the shit. It doesn't have to be "dark" , just... not... shitty.

Plus I'm pretty sure the only albums I've ever really disliked were Gates and Sickology, and that's mostly because of the HORRID features.
I agree 100% with that

UGT

Sicc OG
Sep 15, 2002
yea those collabs had too many amatuer features i love that fact that tech is showing love to the nobodys makes me respect the man more theres a few bangers tho on each album..anything wit stevie stone,d loc,dalima,kaliko,etc is gravy k dean went in on midwest choppers 2 i liked his verse more than krayzies

d2v

Sicc OG
Sep 18, 2006
I think tech shouldn't care what people say and just do what he wants. Like they say you can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time.

Jun 22, 2007
Agree with pretty much everything Zero said, besides the part about Sickology. I loved Sickology and think it totally shits on GMP and is equal with MLK for me.

Aug 11, 2005
AP is no doubt his best album. Keep On is a very underrated track.

Tech should have put C-Mob on Far Out!

There are fans of good music and fans of rappers. Some are quick to criticize and some are quick to defend. I won't forced myself to buy everything with Tech's name on it, fuck having a collection. I'll keep supporting if I like what I hear. I know it's impossible for him to please everyone, so if he doesn't get my $15 this time, he'll easily get it from another fan. Rappers should be able to take criticism positively though. I don't have a problem with Zero Media speaking his mind.

Just look at Bone Thugs, there are people who buy every single release with their name on it, but then they cry about them turning soft, sounding uninspired, recycling tracks and working with nobodies. Why are you still wasting your money then?

Aug 27, 2004
lol wow...i totally disagree with most of tha shit that Zero posted. I like 50% of the GATES mixplate...i like Loud, Too Many Girls, Far Out, F U Pay Me, Afterparty, Harvey Dent, Doin It, and my favourite is Need More Angels...I dont know if that is half...but it's a lot of good songs 2 bump. I think I will always like most of the songs on his albums...I just like the flow n shit. Of course, there is always room for improvement...but who is thinking that deep about this shit? I just bump the music and support the arts...I am still waiting for a Tech and Chamillionaire collab.

Feb 18, 2006
lol wow...i totally disagree with most of tha shit that Zero posted. I like 50% of the GATES mixplate...i like Loud, Too Many Girls, Far Out, F U Pay Me, Afterparty, Harvey Dent, Doin It, and my favourite is Need More Angels...I dont know if that is half...but it's a lot of good songs 2 bump. I think I will always like most of the songs on his albums...I just like the flow n shit. Of course, there is always room for improvement...but who is thinking that deep about this shit? I just bump the music and support the arts...I am still waiting for a Tech and Chamillionaire collab.
last time i was in school 50% equaled an F

May 8, 2008
to me though callabo albums are just that.... i look at them differently and respect them in a different nature... i listen, but dont expect to hear what i would out of one of techs actual lps... dont know if anyone makes any sense outta that

Feb 18, 2006
to me though callabo albums are just that.... i look at them differently and respect them in a different nature... i listen, but dont expect to hear what i would out of one of techs actual lps... dont know if anyone makes any sense outta that
yeah makes sense but they seem to get progressively worse
MLK>>Sickology>GMP

but also tech's LPs seem to be collabo cds most of the time now anyway they are always loaded with features with only a handful of just tech songs

Kain

Sicc OG
Jun 16, 2004
There were Ten "solo" tracks on K.O.D. (once you factor in that K.O.D. and The Martini just had featured "singers") which is a lot more than "a handful," especially when that only leaves seven tracks with guest verses. Granted, this is one album but it's also the only solo album released in the past two years. The two EPs were relatively feature-less too however.

You have to consider too, that times have changed. These days, most albums are about throwing out several collaborations on several different individuals' production. The days of Eric B & Rakim or Kool G Rap & DJ Polo are for the most part, over.

Kain

Sicc OG
Jun 16, 2004
There were Ten "solo" tracks on K.O.D. (once you factor in that K.O.D. and The Martini just had featured "singers") which is a lot more than "a handful," especially when that only leaves seven tracks with guest verses. Granted, this is one album but it's also the only solo album released in the past two years. The two EPs were relatively feature-less too however.

You have to consider too, that times have changed. These days, most albums are about throwing out several collaborations on several different individuals' production. The days of Eric B & Rakim or Kool G Rap & DJ Polo are for the most part, over.