There's No Money Left!!!!!! Don't let rappers fool you...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
www.mir-store.com
A quick letter dedicated to those thinking of trying their hand at rap ( specifically Bay Area rap )...

The well has run dry. Period. Yes, there are a FEW of the upper echelon that have paved the way and can still make a buck. Yes, there are even FEWER newer dudes who are making a buck at it. But the chances of anyone new ( or old who haven't already made it ) making any real pay the rent money off music are that of being eaten by a shark while flying on a suicide mission 747.

It's disheartening to see some of these dudes come on here and flat out lie about how much money they are making, knowing damn well they are not. At least off rap that is. Many of them could call bullshit, but come on, I know what is made off 'features' for mc nobody's album and little bullshit 200 capacity venue shows that barely pack 40 people in...if the promoter is not getting paid, you aren't either.

We've been doing this for over 10 years, we have a nice catalog and a lot of great LOYAL fans who purchase our stuff regularly. But after you record, pay features, pay artwork, mixing, mastering, pressing, promote, etc, that loyal fanbase barely covers what was put in to the project. I'll happily admit that, because WE DO IT FOR THE LOVE OF THE MUSIC, and we always have.

If this were 15 years ago and we had this catalog, we'd be doing well. If it were 10, we'd still have a decent chance of seeing some real money. But alas, it is not.

Why not be humble about it and not give the younger generation false hopes of striking it rich in the beyond dead world of Bay Area rap. Perhaps then we can weed out the talentless lot and you may actually have a shot at seeing a few more sales...

Apr 16, 2003
google.com
That's why most of these guys have day jobs, to finance the gold chains and studio time lol. 98% of the people coming to sicc as an artist aren't making a dime off their music careers.

Apr 25, 2002
www.rcanedesign.com
There is plenty of money to get out there, rap game is the best way to claim you made it if you dont have any other means of legitimately gettin paid. Or you could open up a gun store... I still need to come by and check that shit out.

APT3 been doing your thing for a long ass time now and still the most successful to come out of this lil city in a long time in my opinion. much props, stay doin it for the music.

Sep 26, 2006
MUCH LOVE FOR DOING THIS SHIT STRAIGHT FOR THE FANS
NOT FOR THE FAME AND MONEY ONLY LIKE MANY OTHER LABELS/ARTIST DO
THEY SELL THEIR ASS AND STYLE IF SOME NEW TREND COMES INTO MUSIC
LIKE HYPHY(GAY SHIT).U GUYS STAYD TRUE AND I HOPE U CONTINUE TO DROP
THESE CLASSIC MOBBMUSIC YEARS TO COME.MUCH RESPECT!!!!

Apr 25, 2002
www.mir-store.com
There is plenty of money to get out there, rap game is the best way to claim you made it if you dont have any other means of legitimately gettin paid. Or you could open up a gun store... I still need to come by and check that shit out.

APT3 been doing your thing for a long ass time now and still the most successful to come out of this lil city in a long time in my opinion. much props, stay doin it for the music.
Thanks Swisher. And yes, there is PLENTY OF MONEY OUT THERE, just not in this genre and in this area...

and thanks Ronnie and everyone who responded.

Dec 3, 2009
yeah That's true.

I think that's why rappers and singers are making straight to mp3 albums now.
Cause they cut costs of making cd covers pressing and and all that.

When I finally do my music, I'm just gonna sell online.
it cuts down costs. Plus i got a free studio I can use anytime.

Nov 7, 2002
Thanks Swisher. And yes, there is PLENTY OF MONEY OUT THERE, just not in this genre and in this area...

and thanks Ronnie and everyone who responded.
True. You have to adapt, if you want money from music...you have to adapt.

yeah That's true.

I think that's why rappers and singers are making straight to mp3 albums now.
Cause they cut costs of making cd covers pressing and and all that.

When I finally do my music, I'm just gonna sell online.
it cuts down costs. Plus i got a free studio I can use anytime.
You got a good read on the situation. Props.
You do music?

^Its much appreciated.

Again, this thread is not about 'hey where's my money...'

it's just a refreshing reality check for some dudes on here that are DEFINITELY NOT keepin it real.
REAL. That is the most IMPORTANT, word.

Jul 29, 2009
East Palo Alto, Ca
Rapping dont get you as much money as yall might think. I doubt their is any nigga out their thats making more than 40 gs a year off music 2 be saying they got this car n that n a big fuckn house n shit n if they are big ass props. I think the most some 1 can be making a year is like 20 g's. I hate niggas talkn about how they got all this shit, when they rapping ina basement.....

Nov 14, 2005
www.Siccness.Net
The statement That Mr. IllMannered made pretty much sums up rap music as a whole. And the sole reason that I fucks with Siccness.Net. Niggaz on here have music worth listening to. I mean these little niggaz coming out with this bullshit. Will never get any of my fucking money.