What do you do for a living?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 1, 2004
I teach a class on the neuroscience of sensation and perception, where I go over the sensory signals from the physical energy, to the method of transduction where they are turned into a nerve signal (i.e photoreceptors in the eye for vision, hair cells in the cochlea for hearing, etc.) through the neural pathways in the brain that process the signals at more and more complex levels. Also a lab class on cognitive science, where the kids replicate classic cognitive psychology experiments that demonstrate some fundamentals about the way the brain works, and then come up with their own simple experiments they can carry out in class and do they. Its kind of a nice class, because its usually their first exposure to actually doing any kind of hands on science, as opposed to passive learning.
thats dope, psychology is some eye opening shit that can change a lot of things for an individual when their able to understand it and its many aspects while applying it to their own situation. keep up the good work amigo.

May 2, 2015
I envy your employment, and no im not being sarcastic. I have a BA in psych but has accumulated to jack shit.
Curious, why did you major in psych? In my experience, young kids think this is a "cool" major but have no idea about it's financial value.

I keep telling my family in high school to concentrate on Science, Technology, Engineering, Math or Business degrees. You can probably make a decent living in those fields.

May 9, 2002
Curious, why did you major in psych? In my experience, young kids think this is a "cool" major but have no idea about it's financial value.

I keep telling my family in high school to concentrate on Science, Technology, Engineering, Math or Business degrees. You can probably make a decent living in those fields.
Because the human mind is fascinating. We are always trying to explore the oceans or space, but we have yet to conquer our own brains/mind. Its something i have always wanted to get into. I wanted to have a job that i would enjoy, rather than just a job i go to everyday.

May 2, 2015
Because the human mind is fascinating. We are always trying to explore the oceans or space, but we have yet to conquer our own brains/mind. Its something i have always wanted to get into. I wanted to have a job that i would enjoy, rather than just a job i go to everyday.
I think the professions aren't presented accurately enough by counselors to kids choosing a major. And maybe they aren't researched enough by the students. I know several people that chose psychology in college and dropped out or are unhappy with their choice. As you say, "Yet it has accumulated to jack shit" for them.